Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
feels awkward looking at all the strong entries that I havent watched yet and cant factor in, but I guess it can't be helped now that we've entered 2018. Here's what I liked a lot last year.

5. Girls' Last Tour
I could put GLT in this list for the OP/ED alone. So amazing and wide and :blobmelt:

4. Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic
I figured it was going to be a cute and silly show with a strong showing from Studio Doga Kobo, but man it really sold me on the main char's lovable dad who enters the show while riding a cruise missile in full power armor, who is the king of a country he created to keep his daughter safe. Amazing show where the next-episode previews are the school's teachers going out to the bar for drinks and the protagonist shares a new year's kiss with the girl she likes and confesses to her on valentine's day, both in the same episode.

3. Gabriel Dropout
Another CGDCT show on Space Flower's list. wow. (lifeless)

No but GabeDrop is really good and tons of comedy fun with a slapstick cast of demons and angels that bully and gently caress with each other constantly, yet has some strong down-to-earth moments and tinges of the main character being a big softie at heart, under her crusty dropout exterior. Gabe's soft side is mostly subtext throughout the show that acts as a cushion for the comedy but the second OVA comes out of nowhere and bears juicy cathartic fruit.

2. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
I'm a fan of old perverted Cool-sensei but even I don't know how he keeps getting his stuff animated. I'm used to just going "well I've never heard of this but KyoAni's doing it so I guess it'll be good", but here they took something I'm already invested in and gave it so much energy and love. This story about a bunch of otaku weirdos and dragons finding home and family and friends to belong to is so important to me.

1. Kemono Friends
This show is so wonderful and cute. all of the Friends are loveable goofballs with nothing but warmth in their hearts. ahh, nakama

Honorable Mentions:

Kino no Tabi 2017 has a lot of retreading and half the new stuff was just silly/fun and the old show's direction created an atmosphere that's hard to live up to. At times I felt the new Kino was able to approach that feeling. It wasn't consistently great but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Umaru is real similar to GabeDrop and her friends are great but it's not quite as funny.

Made in Abyss is super great, can't wait for s2. I favor the manga in a lot of ways but the show does so much in breathing life into the beautiful setting. The OST is gorgeous as well, I want it

March Lion S1: I wish kyouko would randomly climb into my room at night

Owarimonogatari S2 was an amazing conclusion to a lot of stories and arcs in the series. I like it as much as my AOTY list entries but I'm giving weight to the shows I looked forward to coming home to every week. Iyashikei came back with a vengeance this year. Everything is so soothing and relaxing and gives me the power to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm watching this now and it's really good. If it sticks the landing it might replace Katanagatari as my favorite Nisio Isin thing.

e: it didn't stick the landing. the ending isn't BAD but it focused far too much on the mystery (who gives a poo poo) instead of the vastly more interesting relationship between the two main characters

its a longer running series than the OVA depicts so I'd imagine a lot of their development is reserved for later

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
well, they do go fishing in the series with karen's dad. perhaps it's in her bloodline

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

Let's give a big round of applause to Deen

what a time to be alive

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I think ova 2 left a stale taste for a lot of people on how Akko had been handled and they thought the early eps were reprising that feeling. Well, basically they thought Akko was a brat... and they’re wrong!!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

:thinking:

You could have worded this to sound less offensive. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
so is 1. the top spot or what. because in the traditional post format you scroll down as you read so really it should go 5. to 1. to build suspense for the greatest entry

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'm on the line of uhh whatevers below owarimonogatari. or maybe i am owari

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Agronox posted:

MAL's list, if you're interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16gufax-DkdcrkWIoFAKsews1vl6QEVuO/view

I don't know the criteria here. Shows might've had to end in 2017 to count, because I don't see LotL here at all and I think it would be otherwise.

Kind of surprised to not see Kemono Friends make it, not even as a mystery show.

...Actually wow there is some crazy in here.

someone call the adtrw poster that adjusts these to remove normie votes

• Locked thread