Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of my top 5 are from Winter 2017. The year opened with such a bang and then basically nothing else ever caught my interest afterwards.

1). Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen: I waffled a lot between this and March Lion, eventually settling upon Rakugo on the basis that unfortunately it was able to tell a complete story and tell it so loving well that March Lion, which of course was just getting started, could not compete with it ultimately. What a thing this was after all was said and done. It would not be an exaggeration to describe Rakugo as one of my favorite series of all time. An enthralling journey through time, weaving a tale of a man's life and his relationships that was as captivating as the tales he himself told. Season 2 in particular elevated this work as it was able to transition into more of the present and contained the fallout of many characters' decisions (both good and bad), and how they were able to rise (or not) from there. An anime I will remember for a long, long time.

2). March Comes In Like A Lion S1: March Lion is my favorite ongoing manga on the moment, and Shaft surprisingly turned out to be the best possible studio to take a crack at it. It's a story that loves to live in metaphor and symbolism, and the creativity Shaft likes to bring to many of its shots, landscapes, and character animations worked hand-in-hand with this seamlessly. The drama in this story is one of the best I've ever seen and every character is precious. It is incredibly heavy at times, but I also don't know if I can think of a more uplifting tale in which you could observe this lovely cast rising to the occasion to overcome their hardships. The only knock I can give it is that season 1 ends in kind of a weird spot, just before the amazing arc currently in season 2 was able to get going. I hope Shaft is in this for the long haul because it will be remembered as something really, really special by the end.

3). ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department: Outstanding political theatre and drama, with a pretty memorable cast, catchy OST, and a very pleasant art style/aesthetic.

4). Interviews with Monster Girls: As a fan of the manga, this was as good of an adaption as I could ask for. I'm not sure it really rose above the material to justify its place as an adaption (in the way that say March Lion did) but I'm glad it got made, was competent, and hopefully introduced a larger audience to the work. I like Hikari's vampire cape flapping animation in the OP.

5). Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: What I like about this show I really like (Kobayashi/Tohru's relationship, several side characters, beautiful animation/art, quirky/fun OP/ED), and what I dislike about this show I really dislike (basically everything else).

Honorable Mentions (really just the leftovers of stuff I bothered to finish):
Gabriel Dropout
KonoSuba 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Land of Lustrous would have probably worked its way in there if I had gotten to watch it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm fine with the rule because it never affects any show that I care about.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think honestly it was just kind of a mediocre year. Everyone had their standouts but I imagine there were a lot of people who simply checked out most of the year like me. If it weren't for Winter 2017 I'd have watched like 3 shows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kyouko's relationship with Rei is pretty important, it's not at at all unnecessary. The story does a very good job of not mincing words with her actions/personality but also showing that in the end they absolutely still do have a sibling bond that (we can only hope) helps both of them get stronger. It's just a rocky road to get to that point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish anime strike had gone poof sooner so I could have watched Land of Lustrous and put that on my list instead of the dragon show because it seems real good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I won't disparage anyone who liked LWA but it was very much not my thing. I forget how many episodes I got before dropping it but it was like a good 8 or so.

The stuck up rival girl would have made for a better MC, IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Rakugo S2 more than S1 because as great as Yakumo's backstory was in S1, it's his relationship with Yotaro that solidified the story as a whole to me. Things came together in a way in S2 that elevated the way I would retrospectively look back on the events in S1, either due to new revelations or just things being re-contextualized.

As an aside I'm fairly confident that if I could vote again I'd vote Land of Lustrous in at #3 in my list and knock Kobayashi off. Not that it would have changed the order for the thread's totals in the end I suppose all that much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I largely don't care for Trigger but rather enjoyed Luluco quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After finally finishing it Land of Lustrous would easily slot in at #3 on my list, right above ACCA and below March Lion. That was a great show and I desperately hope there are more seasons to come.

• Locked thread