Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
1. My Hero Academia S2 - I'm not a huge shonen guy--and actually still hold a bit of a grudge from when OPM beat Shirobako in the 2015 version of this thread--but MHA does it very, very well. What's most impressive is the characterization; you could easily imagine half of dozen of these characters being the protagonists of other shows. Add good action and great pacing and it's my #1 pick for the year.
2. New Game S2
3. Demi-chan
4. Konosuba S2
5. Saga of Tanya the Evil

There are actually a few more things I'm watching now so if there's still time this list might change.

Also, two things that aren't "best of" but worth mentioning IMO: Just Because is an atmospheric romantic drama set during those last few weeks of high school; Nyanko Days is an extremely short CGDCT with talking cats (actually the "CG" here could be "cat girls"). If those are the kinds of things you would like, you'll probably like those shows. I did, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I...kinda like that result, to be honest. Tons of good stuff this year.

Yeah, and now that I'm starting to watch LotL, man... I see what everyone is talking about. Good show. And there are still like 4 other things in my 2017 backlog!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Xinder posted:

Thanks, Anaconda! This easy to read data is my favorite part of the thread every year.

I guess I'll put Land of the Lustrous on my backlog if it's apparently that good.

I didn't watch it all in time to vote on it, but if I had it definitely would've made the list.

I'm pleased that it won.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wark Say posted:

All those shows were good, but no mention of One Punch Man? :raise:

Not sure what you are talking about here, unless you meant Shirobako

But yes, both are good years.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Colonel posted:

kill la kill is better than kiznaiver

I liked both, but KLK went on too long and Kiznaiver wasn't long enough.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Colonel posted:

the only way kiznaiver being longer would have been better is if they'd actually given more than one character an arc

Yes, that's exactly why!

quote:

and also didn't make that character straight at the end

wait what

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Oh wait you're talking about the mangaka girl. I thought there was some entire piece of subtext with Katsuhira that went entirely over my head.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Eh, I'm not going to go to the mats for Kiznavier--it looked good, I liked the characters (I may be in the minority here), it had some affecting moments, and an actual ending--but I enjoyed it. Oh well.

No disagreement on Luluco though. With the exception of those episodes where you kind of have to have seen their other stuff, it might be my favorite Trigger.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kind of funny seeing Kukuri nominated for "Best Hero." She wouldn't think she's the best hero even in her own show...

And Kemono Friends as "Best Slice of Life" is odd.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

And the finale. See you in 2018, ADTRW~

Neat! Thanks for doing this.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
MAL's list, if you're interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16gufax-DkdcrkWIoFAKsews1vl6QEVuO/view

I don't know the criteria here. Shows might've had to end in 2017 to count, because I don't see LotL here at all and I think it would be otherwise.

Kind of surprised to not see Kemono Friends make it, not even as a mystery show.

...Actually wow there is some crazy in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
No. The best taste.

• Locked thread