Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
It’s not because I’m boring or a stuck up hipster that thinks everything sucks. It’s because over the years my intelligence and consciousness expansion has grown far beyond the bounds of what other people find fascinating. I’ve seen most of the movies that many consider classics. Even though once I found them to be interesting, now they are dull and completely pointless to watch. I’ve searched high and low and it’s seems I can’t find anything that lives up to my standards anymore. Are there any movies out there for people like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
have you seen suicide squad? it's really good and has will smith who shoots lots of people, and harley quinn is HOT but the joker should've been in it more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

It’s not because I’m boring or a stuck up hipster that thinks everything sucks. It’s because over the years my intelligence and consciousness expansion has grown far beyond the bounds of what other people find fascinating. I’ve seen most of the movies that many consider classics. Even though once I found them to be interesting, now they are dull and completely pointless to watch. I’ve searched high and low and it’s seems I can’t find anything that lives up to my standards anymore. Are there any movies out there for people like me?

How old are you? I thought like this until I got a bit older and then I wrapped back around and now can watch something like RoboCop and be blown away by how good and tight it is.

Alternatively rear end in a top hat poo poo suck

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Take your antidepressants man.

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZOfjMXNPik
It's about a hour long. Give it a try!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Stryder posted:

have you seen suicide squad? it's really good and has will smith who shoots lots of people, and harley quinn is HOT but the joker should've been in it more.

I do sort of have a thing for watching really bad movies just for the fun of it, so maybe I should give this one a try. Thanks.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
OP you should learn German and then watch Casablanca because there's a really funny joke in there that you'll only really appreciate if you're like A2 in German

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Evil Dead 2 op

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gattaca, Starship Troopers, and Fight Club (purely as a movie and not a fanbase) remain really great movies.

Pulp Fiction too, although it has some seriously dead air at times.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the big lebowski op

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The big lebowski is a solid movie

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched the Muppets a Christmas Carol last night and thought it was good

I also like Lawrence of Arabia a lot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

moose face posted:

The big lebowski is a solid movie

yah

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The late 90s was really really good for bro movies

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
a lot of great movies are like literature in that they'll go over your head if you haven't, you know, lived

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Also Brick, by now famous director rian johnson

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The third act of 2001 sucks poo poo straight out of your rear end in a top hat, but the movie as a whole is still genius on like, every level.

Barry Lyndon is amazing 'get toasted and look at pretty pictures' fare.

I really like AI and gently caress you if you whine about it.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also Brick, by now famous director rian johnson

If you like brick check out this cult classic I discovered Requiem for a Dream and then work your way up to Donnie Darko

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

KakerMix posted:

How old are you? I thought like this until I got a bit older and then I wrapped back around and now can watch something like RoboCop and be blown away by how good and tight it is.

Mid-30’s. I’m not really sure what the point is when there are more interesting things to do, unless there are movies out there that are actually somewhat captivating to me.

mind the walrus posted:

Take your antidepressants man.

I’m not depressed, but I am stumped at why I can create something so much more interesting or actually funny without nearly any effort in my own mind instead of going to see an awful movie that costed millions of dollars.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

KakerMix posted:

When you're younger, you're wrapped up in establishing your self-image, and so you get caught on ideas like "obviously I'm too smart for a movie about robot cops" and you can't enjoy the movie.

As you get older, you stop giving a poo poo and can just appreciate that robot cops are fun and it's okay to make a movie about them.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought the incest in Scarface was totally appropriate but then I was like :thunk:

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Mid-30’s. I’m not really sure what the point is when there are more interesting things to do, unless there are movies out there that are actually somewhat captivating to me.

I’m not depressed, but I am stumped at why I can create something so much more interesting or actually funny without nearly any effort in my own mind instead of going to see an awful movie that costed millions of dollars.

let's see one of your brilliant creations from your own mind

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Mid-30’s.

:yikes:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why do they always gently caress up the third act so bad? Countless movies are stunning until then.

Or even worse, the first 2/3 is great, the last 1/8 is great, but between 66% and 87.5% it's just an awkward fumble.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

Why do they always gently caress up the third act so bad? Countless movies are stunning until then.

Or even worse, the first 2/3 is great, the last 1/8 is great, but between 66% and 87.5% it's just an awkward fumble.

The big lebowski

It's a perfect film

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
op try mulholland drive

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not one scene out of place. Everything has purpose in advancing the storytelling. Watch the big lebowski and if you don't think its at least good your brain is broke

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

moose face posted:

Maybe the big lebowski op

I have a huge problem with the Dude, who was way too passive to be an engaging character. It seems he was shrugging off the role carelessly. It’s funny at times, but it’s like they mixed a bunch of scenes in a blender and poured them out.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What We Do in the Shadows was p. good, OP, you should check it out and maybe laugh a little :)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moose face posted:

Not one scene out of place. Everything has purpose in advancing the storytelling. Watch the big lebowski and if you don't think its at least good your brain is broke

I fell asleep watching it after foot surgery one time
I haven't tried again

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I have a huge problem with the Dude, who was way too passive to be an engaging character. It seems he was shrugging off the role carelessly.

... that's kinda the point

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
how about Wallace and grommet u fuckhead

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I have a huge problem with the Dude, who was way too passive to be an engaging character. It seems he was shrugging off the role carelessly. It’s funny at times, but it’s like they mixed a bunch of scenes in a blender and poured them out.
:thejoke:

The Coens were explicit in interviews that they wanted to make a Raymond Chandler mystery where the protagonist was a clueless slacker who didn't really give a gently caress.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer10 posted:

I fell asleep watching it after foot surgery one time
I haven't tried again

FUUUUUCK YOUUUUU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Even heat?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What We Do in the Shadows was p. good, OP, you should check it out and maybe laugh a little :)
That movie was the goddamn worst. When you're doing a parody you've got two options:

1. Commit to your premise and find the jokes therein. Think 'This is Spinal Tap' or 'Life of Brian' minus the alien detour in the middle.

2. Throw structure out the window and just be really really funny. Think 'Holy Grail.'

'What we do in the Shadows' tried for the latter and failed miserably, because he had everyone improv despite none of them being any good at it.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Have you ever seen Final Fantasy 3 /6 for the SNES?

It's a video game

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heat is so good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neukoln19 posted:

Have you ever seen Final Fantasy 3 /6 for the SNES?

It's a video game
If you manage to get through the Opera scene without crying then you're a functioning human being who is too good for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Videodrome is the only good movie ever made. Just watch Videodrome over and over and over op

• Locked thread