Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Yes that's all very interesting but what about kindergarten cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

gender illusionist posted:

Yes that's all very interesting but what about kindergarten cop

lol its not a tumor, there is no bathroom, fuckin classic.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Greasy anal fuckhole 6 was pretty good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations OP. Being negative all the time is no way to live. You are like an MRA incel but in regards to common entertainment media.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I skimmed over a lot of the responses, and I've seen pretty much all that was mentioned, all of which feel like relics of the past that don't touch on any forward thinking subject matters that I'd expect by now. It seems we've hit a wall, at least for now.

Black Mirror had maybe slightly brushed itself onto a few scenarios, like experiencing being virtually trapped in a room without dying for thousands of years. People discuss whether it's moral or not because they were a simulation and not a real person, but this is an invalid argument since human thinking is substrate independent. Though having a subjective experience being tortured basically for thousands, or perhaps trillions of virtual years could be a very real thing in our near future, and reproducing this as a story on film in a convincing way is important for humanity to take a step back and consider how we should go about our decisions in the future.

Without sounding like I demand pure science fiction, why don't movies ever have the main characters be what humans become in the future, like non biological beings in a virtual reality? I'm not talking Matrix style VR, but a completely abstract version of themselves and their world that can be portrayed in a movie? Maybe beings span across multiple existences and can experience several worlds all at the same time. This could make movie scenarios more multidimensional, and seeing something on screen other than your ordinary human.

Why do movies need to have humans or animals in them anyway as their characters? Have we even explored non-character movies much? I really liked the idea of Rubber where a tire gains unexplainable self awareness and blows people's heads off with telekinesis, although it's not worth repeated viewings.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I skimmed over a lot of the responses, and I've seen pretty much all that was mentioned, all of which feel like relics of the past that don't touch on any forward thinking subject matters that I'd expect by now. It seems we've hit a wall, at least for now.

Black Mirror had maybe slightly brushed itself onto a few scenarios, like experiencing being virtually trapped in a room without dying for thousands of years. People discuss whether it's moral or not because they were a simulation and not a real person, but this is an invalid argument since human thinking is substrate independent. Though having a subjective experience being tortured basically for thousands, or perhaps trillions of virtual years could be a very real thing in our near future, and reproducing this as a story on film in a convincing way is important for humanity to take a step back and consider how we should go about our decisions in the future.

Without sounding like I demand pure science fiction, why don't movies ever have the main characters be what humans become in the future, like non biological beings in a virtual reality? I'm not talking Matrix style VR, but a completely abstract version of themselves and their world that can be portrayed in a movie? Maybe beings span across multiple existences and can experience several worlds all at the same time. This could make movie scenarios more multidimensional, and seeing something on screen other than your ordinary human.

Why do movies need to have humans or animals in them anyway as their characters? Have we even explored non-character movies much? I really liked the idea of Rubber where a tire gains unexplainable self awareness and blows people's heads off with telekinesis, although it's not worth repeated viewings.

Faaaaart

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Indie scene does poo poo like that but you are not going to sell a movie about abstract humans
You need recognizable big name actors and some spiel about indomitable human spirit and good ultimately triumphing over evil. Just look at all the alternative postive endings some films get in US.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

still haven't answered my questions, are there books or other artworks that fulfill you??

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

still haven't answered my questions, are there books or other artworks that fulfill you??

No fiction, except maybe Contact and a few others, but I feel are too ordinary now. I’m reading Life 3.0 now, and it brings up some good examples of catastrophic mistakes we made with computers AI, and what to watch out for in the future.

I like a well written manual and I find it enlightening to learn a new programming language or piece of machinery and creating something beyond normal human ability without much effort.

I love all kinds street art, whether it’s repainting designs all over abandoned buildings, graffiti tags or murals.

For music I like a lot of electric music I find to be always reaching new ground, especially Autechre. A lot of rap/hip-hop I consider the pinnacle of today’s poetry, using ever evolving language instead of a static one that most suspect. People forget that Shakespeare invented a lot of the words we speak today.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 27, 2017

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it's a deeply cynical movie about a horrible man and the garbage life he builds for those around him, while nearly every shot is carefully crafted to look like paintings of the era.

Now it's a slow... boring... boring... movie... but if you can bliss out on the visuals you'll have a great time appreciating the craftsmanship.

Incredible Fops. amazing dandies

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Sad to hear you've never seen zardoz

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I’m sorry you haven’t seen Con Air or Speed.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
How about documentaries OP?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it's a deeply cynical movie about a horrible man and the garbage life he builds for those around him, while nearly every shot is carefully crafted to look like paintings of the era.

Now it's a slow... boring... boring... movie... but if you can bliss out on the visuals you'll have a great time appreciating the craftsmanship.

What the gently caress?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Jebediah posted:

Aliens. It's still amazing. You dumb idiot.

Seriously

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ve been thinking about OP’s post and I think I agree

There’s some entertaining movies, but after reflection, none of them are any good or influential in my life, unlike books

What are some good books, aka graphic novels,, you’ve found influential, friend?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

What are some good books, aka graphic novels,, you’ve found influential, friend?

World War Hulk: Aftersmash

Edit: nah but seriously Godel Escher Bach and Meditations and recently to Kill a Mockingbird, and a bunch others

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jebediah posted:

Aliens. It's still amazing. You dumb idiot.

It’s just an excuse to use creeopo’s art in a completely unrelated movie about aliens. It looks cool, but these are things I used to imagine when I was like 6.

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I also don’t generally care to see movies twice

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Darren Aronofsky is the filmmaker you want, op.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 27, 2017

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
OP, you may want to consider comics. They answer many of the questions you posit, while being helpfully illustrated.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

anime karenina was long (40+ pages!) but so worth it. theres also a young joker/mickey mouse crossover thing that rewards multiple readings

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
watch Hobo with a Shotgun op

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is just like that time that one British dude who is on YouTube and got rear end cancer came to the forums and posted about how smart he was

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

This is just like that time that one British dude who is on YouTube and got rear end cancer came to the forums and posted about how smart he was

chemo tends to make u slow witted

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Clearly the op hasn't seen :nws:CHAINED HEAT:nws:

When you've hit that stage in life where everything new just seems dull and played out you need to start skewing to older and trashier media to get that fix.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
I kind of get what you're saying, OP. I don't tend to rewatch very many movies and I find it kind of annoying when channels will show Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings marathons all weekend on holidays.

That said I usually can at least appreciate the movies after I've seen them, even if I don't have the urge to watch them again. Perhaps you need a constant stream of new content. Try short films. They don't take up too much time and there are a surprising amount of decent ones out there.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
OP can only handle genre films, thinks contact is a good book, and brags about a cursory knowledge of idm.

the answer is :gas:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"GBS: A gas chamber story by Darren Aronofsky"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
have u seen key largo?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the movie caligula has cumshots!!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

the movie caligula has cumshots!!

so does love, the newest film by noted depraved frenchman gaspar noé

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WatermelonGun posted:

so does love, the newest film by noted depraved frenchman gaspar noé

they sound like depressing cumshots, like hes making some negative point about gross cumshots. caligula has these really celebratory cumshots and tits and stuff. its a classic with lots of british stars of yesteryear!!

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Instead of linking op to another youtube documentary about autism I'll just list a few horror movies that are hella good like rubber
Tokyo gore police - its the future,something something genetic engineering, something something Japan cops fight mutants.
House - a girl gets eaten by a piano and a man becomes one with bananas.
Frankenstine girl vrs vampire girl - what it says on the box
Tetsuo - weird mechanical body horror
Non horror suggestions:
The holy mountain - it has a recreation of the Spanish invading the Aztecs/Mayans
but they are all frogs. Also cake Jesus lol.
El topo - just watch it

If you don't like these you are wrong and dumb op

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

they sound like depressing cumshots, like hes making some negative point about gross cumshots. caligula has these really celebratory cumshots and tits and stuff. its a classic with lots of british stars of yesteryear!!

caligula is good wasn’t arguing that. helen mirren and her tits. peter o’toole. donkey. it has it all.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Pretty good troll until that last paragraph. You got greedy.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

Instead of linking op to another youtube documentary about autism I'll just list a few horror movies that are hella good like rubber
Tokyo gore police - its the future,something something genetic engineering, something something Japan cops fight mutants.
House - a girl gets eaten by a piano and a man becomes one with bananas.
Frankenstine girl vrs vampire girl - what it says on the box
Tetsuo - weird mechanical body horror
Non horror suggestions:
The holy mountain - it has a recreation of the Spanish invading the Aztecs/Mayans
but they are all frogs. Also cake Jesus lol.
El topo - just watch it

If you don't like these you are wrong and dumb op

are you me senior year of high school?

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

WatermelonGun posted:

are you me senior year of high school?

probably. How'd the future work out for us? Do we still have awesome taste?

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

WatermelonGun posted:

caligula is good wasn’t arguing that. helen mirren and her tits. peter o’toole. donkey. it has it all.

this just reminded me if Helen Mirren is in it it's usually good; see: the cook the thief his wife and her lover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Les Os posted:

this just reminded me if Helen Mirren is in it it's usually good; see: the cook the thief his wife and her lover

:yeah:

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

probably. How'd the future work out for us? Do we still have awesome taste?

hope you like nuclear assault and bareback

• Locked thread