Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Take your antidepressants man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gattaca, Starship Troopers, and Fight Club (purely as a movie and not a fanbase) remain really great movies.

Pulp Fiction too, although it has some seriously dead air at times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The late 90s was really really good for bro movies

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The third act of 2001 sucks poo poo straight out of your rear end in a top hat, but the movie as a whole is still genius on like, every level.

Barry Lyndon is amazing 'get toasted and look at pretty pictures' fare.

I really like AI and gently caress you if you whine about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I have a huge problem with the Dude, who was way too passive to be an engaging character. It seems he was shrugging off the role carelessly. It’s funny at times, but it’s like they mixed a bunch of scenes in a blender and poured them out.
:thejoke:

The Coens were explicit in interviews that they wanted to make a Raymond Chandler mystery where the protagonist was a clueless slacker who didn't really give a gently caress.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What We Do in the Shadows was p. good, OP, you should check it out and maybe laugh a little :)
That movie was the goddamn worst. When you're doing a parody you've got two options:

1. Commit to your premise and find the jokes therein. Think 'This is Spinal Tap' or 'Life of Brian' minus the alien detour in the middle.

2. Throw structure out the window and just be really really funny. Think 'Holy Grail.'

'What we do in the Shadows' tried for the latter and failed miserably, because he had everyone improv despite none of them being any good at it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neukoln19 posted:

Have you ever seen Final Fantasy 3 /6 for the SNES?

It's a video game
If you manage to get through the Opera scene without crying then you're a functioning human being who is too good for the game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The work that was put into this movie is laughable because CGI can accomplish the same stop motion effect nowadays perfectly; even looking just like homemade materials.

Now don’t get all huffy about how it should be praised because of the effort that was put into it. Art should be appreciated for its result, not the suffering that was experienced by its creator.

As for the story, well it’s a children’s story with some silly gags thrown in here and there. Nothing profound.
Thank you for saying this. I respect Aardman and his crew. I don't like them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

watch inland empire and finally disappear up your own rear end
I watched Inland Empire in a theater stoned to hell and back and it owned.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

i've watched it a couple times trying to make sense of it and i can't. i'll try your method next

One of the people I saw it with was a Lynch fanboy and he said afterwards that it was basically a companion piece to Mullholland Drive. I think it was more like the afterbirth, but semantics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smythe posted:

2 words pootie tang
Pootie Tang had only one joke that worked for me but it was a doozy-- when the film opens with a framing device of Pootie showing a clip of his new movie on a talk show, then when the movie ends it cuts back to the talk show and the host says 'Wow that was a really long clip.'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Les Os posted:

House of the Devil is simple and intense so it never overstays its welcome unlike the real Devil who is always freeloading and drinking your booze without replacing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_BNTN0z7U

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I never watched this but I saw a clip, the played-straight romantic scene followed by a wry narrator going "A lady who sets her heart upon a lad in uniform must prepare to change lovers pretty quickly or her life will be but a sad one" was dark as hell. People poo poo on the narrator thing, and a lot of the time it is done poorly, but I like that a lot and it did make me want to see the movie.
Yeah it's a deeply cynical movie about a horrible man and the garbage life he builds for those around him, while nearly every shot is carefully crafted to look like paintings of the era.

Now it's a slow... boring... boring... movie... but if you can bliss out on the visuals you'll have a great time appreciating the craftsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Battle Royale is great trashy fun.

• Locked thread