Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
It’s not because I’m boring or a stuck up hipster that thinks everything sucks. It’s because over the years my intelligence and consciousness expansion has grown far beyond the bounds of what other people find fascinating. I’ve seen most of the movies that many consider classics. Even though once I found them to be interesting, now they are dull and completely pointless to watch. I’ve searched high and low and it’s seems I can’t find anything that lives up to my standards anymore. Are there any movies out there for people like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Stryder posted:

have you seen suicide squad? it's really good and has will smith who shoots lots of people, and harley quinn is HOT but the joker should've been in it more.

I do sort of have a thing for watching really bad movies just for the fun of it, so maybe I should give this one a try. Thanks.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

KakerMix posted:

How old are you? I thought like this until I got a bit older and then I wrapped back around and now can watch something like RoboCop and be blown away by how good and tight it is.

Alternatively rear end in a top hat poo poo suck

Mid-30’s. I’m not really sure what the point is when there are more interesting things to do, unless there are movies out there that are actually somewhat captivating to me.

mind the walrus posted:

Take your antidepressants man.

I’m not depressed, but I am stumped at why I can create something so much more interesting or actually funny without nearly any effort in my own mind instead of going to see an awful movie that costed millions of dollars.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

moose face posted:

Maybe the big lebowski op

I have a huge problem with the Dude, who was way too passive to be an engaging character. It seems he was shrugging off the role carelessly. It’s funny at times, but it’s like they mixed a bunch of scenes in a blender and poured them out.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
E: oops already posted a reply for this

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 26, 2017

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

gently caress da Mods posted:

how about Wallace and grommet u fuckhead

The work that was put into this movie is laughable because CGI can accomplish the same stop motion effect nowadays perfectly; even looking just like homemade materials.

Now don’t get all huffy about how it should be praised because of the effort that was put into it. Art should be appreciated for its result, not the suffering that was experienced by its creator.

As for the story, well it’s a children’s story with some silly gags thrown in here and there. Nothing profound.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Zorodius posted:

If you hate everything, it doesn't mean everything sucks, it just means you're depressed and miserable.

It would seem so, but in reality the entertainment industry focuses mainly on the general population and what they can comprehend to be entertaining to make the most bang for the buck. If they concentrated on the small percentage like me, they wouldn’t make much money now, would they?

Independent movies sometimes stray outside what is considered the norm, but even those movies don’t tap into what is intellectually required to be interesting to me because those filmmakers don’t have the right mind for it anyway. If they did, they’d probably make more intelligent life decisions to actually support themselves instead of risking their sanity to make a career out of movie making.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I skimmed over a lot of the responses, and I've seen pretty much all that was mentioned, all of which feel like relics of the past that don't touch on any forward thinking subject matters that I'd expect by now. It seems we've hit a wall, at least for now.

Black Mirror had maybe slightly brushed itself onto a few scenarios, like experiencing being virtually trapped in a room without dying for thousands of years. People discuss whether it's moral or not because they were a simulation and not a real person, but this is an invalid argument since human thinking is substrate independent. Though having a subjective experience being tortured basically for thousands, or perhaps trillions of virtual years could be a very real thing in our near future, and reproducing this as a story on film in a convincing way is important for humanity to take a step back and consider how we should go about our decisions in the future.

Without sounding like I demand pure science fiction, why don't movies ever have the main characters be what humans become in the future, like non biological beings in a virtual reality? I'm not talking Matrix style VR, but a completely abstract version of themselves and their world that can be portrayed in a movie? Maybe beings span across multiple existences and can experience several worlds all at the same time. This could make movie scenarios more multidimensional, and seeing something on screen other than your ordinary human.

Why do movies need to have humans or animals in them anyway as their characters? Have we even explored non-character movies much? I really liked the idea of Rubber where a tire gains unexplainable self awareness and blows people's heads off with telekinesis, although it's not worth repeated viewings.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

still haven't answered my questions, are there books or other artworks that fulfill you??

No fiction, except maybe Contact and a few others, but I feel are too ordinary now. I’m reading Life 3.0 now, and it brings up some good examples of catastrophic mistakes we made with computers AI, and what to watch out for in the future.

I like a well written manual and I find it enlightening to learn a new programming language or piece of machinery and creating something beyond normal human ability without much effort.

I love all kinds street art, whether it’s repainting designs all over abandoned buildings, graffiti tags or murals.

For music I like a lot of electric music I find to be always reaching new ground, especially Autechre. A lot of rap/hip-hop I consider the pinnacle of today’s poetry, using ever evolving language instead of a static one that most suspect. People forget that Shakespeare invented a lot of the words we speak today.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 27, 2017

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jebediah posted:

Aliens. It's still amazing. You dumb idiot.

It’s just an excuse to use creeopo’s art in a completely unrelated movie about aliens. It looks cool, but these are things I used to imagine when I was like 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

El topo - just watch it

Movies starring naked young boys are illegal in my country

• Locked thread