Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The worst anime of 2017 was without a doubt, Forest Fairy Five. I barely qualified for the three episode on this because it's a short and I allowed it to autoplay. Terrible 3d graphics combine with voicing that must have been recorded over skype or a cell phone to make you conclude this anime was created by a small group of young teenagers as a junior high/high school project. While this is passable as a school project, it is completely garbage as anything in a modern commercial environment.

My most avoided anime of 2017 was Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I watched 1 episode but the cow moo sound time they showed the one character told me all I needed to know about the rest of the show. It's a shame because I was super looking forward to this show and I really hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
luccoa is the worst part of maidragon and has some really dumb gags in the later chunk but episode 1 is the worst ep of maidragon by far if that's why you avoided it

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

My most avoided vote would be to Berserk. I could look past the godawful animation if it was a comedy, but this ain't that so nope.

For terrible anime:

- Taisho Mebius Line was so short that I finished it anyways. It wasn't offensive, but I am still unclear of what the plot was about, or what was the point of it all. They all turned into cute things... and then they didn't... and then Japan wanted to assert their power with dead people... and then it all resets? idkwtf :confused:
- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor sequel is horrible and should've never been produced. The new characters are generic as all gently caress, and the one returning character I saw before dropping it was entirely changed for no particular reason.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
My votes:

1. Berserk 2nd Season had the benefit of great source material but the execution was spectacularly terrible.

2. KADO: The Right Answer had an excellent premise, yet the conclusion came out of absolutely nowhere.

3. Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor: I wanted more Tylor, but not like this. It's a shame they couldn't make something in the spirit of the original series instead of this bland and boring take.

4. Rage of the Bahamut: Virgin Soul had good build-up for a while. Too bad about all the writing issues on the character front though, especially near the end.

Most avoided:

Hand Shakers sounds like a complete production disaster. I'd rather watch gifs and webms, not the show.

Polite disagreement with the couple of mentions for Princess Principal and ID-0, which were both decent series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanbaka started out as an alright comedy and then tried to become serious for some reason? I dropped it really quickly after that

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Looks like I did better avoiding shows that were bad this year! But...

1) Love and Lies - completely forgettable romance drama with a daring premise, but executed poorly.

2) Convenience Store Boyfriends - funny OP song, but really sad animation and editing and everything else really.

3) Classicaloid - I tried, I really tried, but despite everything seeming like this show was made for me it just wasn't. Pacing and characterization was all over the place, and the 8 episodes I watched had like 3.5 episodes of worthy material.

Most avoided: Eromanga-sensei, despite having the same avoidability as the gal show, the shobitch show, and the sister is all you need show, this one takes the award for just how much widespread damage it did, and how it convinced so many anime fans to promote and just consume trash. For every accomplishment and advance anime takes, it takes a step backwards with shows like this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Nanbaka started out as an alright comedy and then tried to become serious for some reason? I dropped it really quickly after that

nanbaka ended in december of last year

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

nanbaka ended in december of last year

I googled when it aired and apparently there was a second season that aired in January this year

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah S2 qualities it for this thread. I tried to still like it when it became more of a fight series, but so much of s2 is "Jyugo feels sorry for himself while his cell mates repeatedly tell him how important and special he is." There's like half a dozen episodes of it just thickly pouring in the angst.

That and IBO are my biggest disappointments of the year, and Yes_Cantaloupe summed up my feelings about IBO season 2 pretty well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I googled when it aired and apparently there was a second season that aired in January this year

drat wtf. apparently it was hidden away in the ONA section of the anime charts i looked at

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
well poo poo, in that case i'm throwing a vote in for Nanbaka too. i thought i just forgot when it ended.

i loved it at first but then it threw away all my good will.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Re:Creators: I smelled a rat and got out of this one early on, and seeing the responses makes me think I made the right choice to jump ship on this one. It had a kind of glaze of self-serious tedium about it, and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to amount to being good.

Classicaloid: If this show was even a quarter as funny as it could have been it would have been a home run. I stopped watching it when I realized it wasn't going anywhere, and moreover was just kind of dull. It's also real bad when the slapstick comedy aligns my sympathies completely with the stick-in-the-mud straight man.

Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World: Easily my most disappointing watch this year. The original Kino anime is one of my all-time favorites and I really enjoy the light novels as well. The new Kino does justice to neither. The Beautiful World seemed to have bad priorities and failed completely to follow through on what it could have been. It wasn't harsh, it wasn't fun, it wasn't strange, and it wasn't particularly interesting.

Most Avoided:

Eromanga-Sensei: I still remember Oreimo. I most avoided that for years, and I'm not going to end the streak for Fushimi Tsukasa's follow-up series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nanbaka should have been about the cute warden and her fruitless love instead of all that weird boring drama

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

nielsm posted:

I will defend my imouto animes.

You don't have a sister, I take it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

1. kado
2. juuni taisen - terrible ending, squandered what promise it had (but not as bad as kado)

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I haven't watched enough notable trash this year, but there was still

RE:Creators

The pilot episode was decent, but everything else took a nosedive and it never had any good payoff for anything it tried to do.
The pacing of this show was atrocious. They kept introducing characters, but never allocated any time to do some character building, never giving the audience a reason to care or offering a payoff for having these characters at all. I assume the idea was to have the audience care because these guys and gals are proxies or stand-ins for other popular franchises, but you still don't get to skip the actually important part of character building. Despite this, the show went on for way too long and could easily have been condensed with the material they had, because instead of doing something fun and good with their time, they wasted it by regurgitating pointless exposition at the audience.
The self-aware nature of the premise was wasted as well and what could've been interesting on a meta level just ended up being shallow and vapid.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 29, 2017

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im still mad at how Kado ended

space jesus and the protagonist's gay friend deserved better

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
sad to hear that Nanbaka apparently goes to poo poo, had it in my list of things to watch because it seemed like a fun show about cute anime guys

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It starts out a fun anime with cute guys but turns like a complete 180 in tone later in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nanbaka shows its hand early on by foreshadowing the SUPER SERIOUS plot stuff, but the overwhelming amount of comedy in relation to that seemed to hide what it would become. eventually the serious/melodramatic stuff begins to take up more and more of the show and typical battle shonen elements are added, until you have very little comedy and even that is hit or miss.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It could probably get away with it more if the drama didn't rely on a combination of giving characters the most tragic backstories the author could think of at a given moment and making the protagonist the mopiest loving guy for a dozen eps.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
My "favorite" part of Nanbaka was that one of the episodes was named "Nanbaka is a Comedy Show" like it was trying to reassure itself.

Anyway, Two Car was a disappointment for me, both of the main characters were awful and have them stuck in the world's most contrived love triangle didn't help matters. The side characters were kinda interesting but didn't get nearly enough screen time. And the actual racing part was pretty bad too.

Avoided: Aho Girl, I don't know why I decided to watch this or how I managed to get through the first episode but ye gods that show was dire. The characters are all terrible and have absolutely no chemistry together and that's not even touching the super-cringy guy beats up girl "humor."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

My "favorite" part of Nanbaka was that one of the episodes was named "Nanbaka is a Comedy Show" like it was trying to reassure itself.

Anyway, Two Car was a disappointment for me, both of the main characters were awful and have them stuck in the world's most contrived love triangle didn't help matters. The side characters were kinda interesting but didn't get nearly enough screen time. And the actual racing part was pretty bad too.

Avoided: Aho Girl, I don't know why I decided to watch this or how I managed to get through the first episode but ye gods that show was dire. The characters are all terrible and have absolutely no chemistry together and that's not even touching the super-cringy guy beats up girl "humor."

it's honestly hosed up that the goth lolita racing team didn't get focus episodes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well now I'm glad I didn't watch more than two episodes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it's honestly hosed up that the goth lolita racing team didn't get focus episodes

Three episodes hinting that the s&m team might actually be doing things the wrong way round with no payoff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Berserk (lmao)
Dies Irae (the vn is so loving cool but this was a hack job)
Fate/Apocrypha (lol)

Avoided: Umaru-Chan S2

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Berserk 2nd Season - Almost didn't make the list because I want to deny its very existence. (watched the whole thing anyway)
eiDLIVE - Dumb, boring, obnoxious. Dropped on the third episode.
Hand Shakers - What the actual gently caress? Dropped on the first episode.

Most Avoided: Seven Mortal Sins

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

Three episodes hinting that the s&m team might actually be doing things the wrong way round with no payoff.

i just enjoyed the fantasy sequences and forgot the rest. and then the twins did basically the same thing...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Namtab posted:

Yeah that was some impressively bizarre and disappointing writing. I had to go back and make sure I hadn't accidentally missed an episode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
does someone wanna do an effortpost on what exactly Hand Shakers is, I'm morbidly curious

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

does someone wanna do an effortpost on what exactly Hand Shakers is, I'm morbidly curious

Small selection from the winter 2017 season thread:

quote:

At first I thought Hand Shakers could be interesting.
Then I looked at PV and it looks pretty bad and the only other thing the director has directed was apparently garbage.

quote:

That Hand Shakers PV is doing all sorts of technically difficult things with those rotation shots, but it looks all so bad. Weird.

quote:

Looks like Hand Shakers is making an early bid for the prestigious 'most disconcerting boob animation of the season' award.

https://twitter.com/annjakeh/status/818894738069688320

quote:

Yeah there's clips of Hand Shakers all over twitter right now and holy moly it looks bad

Exhibit A
https://twitter.com/B0bduh/status/818906127979184128

quote:

Hand Shakers, meanwhile, was ugly as sin but also visually interesting, if that makes sense? It was bright and had weird textures and just was interesting - but the writing was so god drat terrible I couldn't keep watching.

quote:

If a show makes you feel physicaly sick for watching it then there's a problem. The fact that the content is a load of hot garbage doesn't help.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/01/13/anime-craft-weekly-26-please-gohands-and-never-come-back/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dynamic Chord is probably worse animation of the year but this is still bad

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
oh my god, that boob animation is actually nauseating

it's like there's a pair of plucky prisoners in there trying to conduct The Great Escape

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There are so many things not pointed out by that tweet. What is that CGI chain. Why does the girl look like she was shaded with the Dodge and burn tool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:chanpop:

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Most Disappointing

1. KADO: The Right Answer - Started off as a intriguing drama about dialogue and negotiation between aliens and humans that devolved into typical fighting and very standard anime resolution.
2. Re:Creators - Interesting concept of a show, but ended up having boring writing, bland/terrible main character, and just a boring show.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Hand Shakers is just another positive hypothesis in my personal theory that GoHands are specifically settting out to master the art of "insane bullshit thing that anitwitter goes crazy over for half a week before forgetting entirely." Happened w both seasons of K, will prolly happen w whatever their next fuckin thing is.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Most avoided: Berserk because it's a crime against all things art and art itself. Also it sucks. How did they make its animation worse than season 1?

Most disappointing: Dragonballs uper's tournament of power arc sofar. So much potential for a great arc spoiled by having universe 7 being collossal overdogs and everyone else being dumb as gently caress. Its an 8 team 10 fighters per team royal rumble where everyone stands around and waits their turn doing nothing until it's their turn to lose to goku and pals one by one. They also make a huge deal of using strategy and not being able to just rely on power ups to win but that is the opposite of what has happened so far. Anytime anyone uses strategy against the heros they just power up and laser them. When the arc isnt doing the above things it's great but it's not often.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 31, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pootybutt posted:

Hand Shakers is just another positive hypothesis in my personal theory that GoHands are specifically settting out to master the art of "insane bullshit thing that anitwitter goes crazy over for half a week before forgetting entirely." Happened w both seasons of K, will prolly happen w whatever their next fuckin thing is.

there was an entire article on the studio, they have talented animators but someone in upper management saw one of their shows that made heavy use of cg got popular once and said "lets make that our Studio Aesthetic" and that's why everything they make looks like vomit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Kado - What a huge disappointment. The premise could've been really cool, interdimensional being discovers humanity and a top negotiator has to try and work things out, like some sort of sci-fi Ace Attorney. Instead it lost it's way a few episodes in and became a real slog of bad writing and maybe the worst ending I've ever seen.

Inuyashiki - This could've been a totally radical "adventures of topless grandpa cyborg". Instead it was mostly "emo teen is edgy and society is dumb or something". A tragic shame.

Black Clover - For the love of god stop screaming. It's like One Piece except with no charm and they go nowhere and do nothing cool at all and the main characters are both insufferable but for different reasons. How do you gently caress up Shonen this badly, it's not a complex formula.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 31, 2017

• Locked thread