Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Most disappointing: samurai Jack. Such a strong start such a weak end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That's not anime. It will NOT be counted

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Namtab posted:

That's not anime. It will NOT be counted

this is fascism

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

How do you gently caress up Shonen this badly, it's not a complex formula.

Hardly an unprecedented fuckup, though. See Reborn (starting around the middle of the Future arc), Bleach (especially the later parts of the Vandenreich storyline, but arguably most of it from the middle of Hueco Mundo or so), Naruto (again, opinions can differ as to where it gets bad, but the endgame fights against Madara and Kaguya stand out as clearly awful), Demon's Plan pretty much in its entirety, and various other obscure Jump manga that got cancelled in similar timeframes to Demon's Plan.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 31, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Black Clover: Decent intro but it went downhill fast and even my love of pretty boys couldn't save this sinking ship :sigh:

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
1. KADO: More like The WRONG Answer, am I right? :smug: I don't really have anything to add, except that even before the awful conclusion the show seemed unclear on what it was trying to do, like in how the "negotiations" that were supposedly central to the story were basically non-existent. To quote someone much more eloquent than I:

Qwertycoatl posted:

Alien: :wom:
Japan's toughest negotiator: He means he wants to give us unlimited free energy
Japan's other toughest negotiator: OK.

~fin~

2. Juuni Taisen: Tried to squeeze half an hour of content out of almost every character, including both of the twins who probably should have gotten like 10 minutes of screentime total. I imagine a condensed version could be good.

3. Hell Girl: Fourth Twilight: Agh why do I keep watching Hell Girl. The individual episode plots were kind of dumb like always, but the overarching plot was awful. It was a rehashed "Enma Ai must raise a successor" plot (also the plot of season 3, and season 3's ending should make this impossible??) that just trailed off after six episodes because the last six episodes were reruns of episodes from earlier seasons (or so I've read, I stopped watching at that point).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Worst 3:
3. Welcome to Ballroom(completed). Hardly an anime at all, so much as a manga in which I couldn't choose what music to listen to in the background or when to change the pages. I liked (most of) the characters, I liked the character design. I found the story interesting, for what it was. But every episode I found myself increasingly frustrated by the panning still-shots while dancing and background music that bore no relevance to the dances or their rhythms or the dances that were concurrently occuring.
2. Laughing Salesman NEW(3 episodes exactly)]: Interesting concept... I've always sort of liked Monkey's Paw style stories. This one just didn't work for me, though I can't exactly explain why.
1 (The worst anime of 2017, broadcast series completed).Dies Irae: I have no idea what the gently caress happened or why. I'm sure it could be fun if I were a source reader and just wanted to see "badass scenes" from the VN animated, but it really failed to explain what was going on to someone lacking that context.

DM:
Ousama Game (completed): Stupid, missed joining the main list for the basic reason that it had a few gloriously stupid and funny scenes and overall managed to achieve its end-goal of "lovely B-horror movie" better than did the ones that did make my list.
Clockwork Planet (10 episodes watched): Watch a pervert and his sex doll destroy society.
Eromanga-sensei (completed): Legitimately had one good episode........ the second to last one (which avoided lewdness and focused on the two major characters and their initial interactions, instead)
Hinako Note: (9 episodes or so): Really weird atmosphere, didn't really like the characters.
Classicaloid: (12 episodes completed): I am a classical music fan and became increasingly annoyed by the increasingly irreverent "pop symphony" things they did to activate their magical powers. Outside of the composer, characters were unlikeable, particularly the boyfriend.
Black Clover: (Continuing to watch weekly): 10 minute long recap in the third episode. I'm not willing to say it's irredeemable, and I like some of the satellite characters, but I'm pretty much over Asta and Yuno.
Wolf in Women's Clothing (Completed): Didn't really offer any sort of story. I think I mostly completed it because it came in five minute chunks and I wanted to see if it ever offered anything interesting. It didn't.

Most Avoided:
Netsuzou Trap (2 episodes completed): Avoided/dropped purely because, after those two episodes, I couldn't bring myself to watch any more. It didn't make me feel good, it didn't offer me any amusement or any other positive emotions, it just made me feel uncomfortable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to vote in this and the good anime thread tomorrow, before voting closes

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

whoops, almost missed out on this

Disapointing

3: Fate/Apocrypha: Let's introduce like, 20 interesting characters, and then spend the vast majority of the time with the most boring two.

2: Centaur's Worries: I kinda feel unfair including it, because I think the manga it's based off of is disappointing too, but even compared to the manga it just didn't seem to work

1: In Another World With My Smartphone. It's actually so bad that it kinda rolls over to impressively bad. It's soulless, with mediocre animation, boring fight scenes, and the most generic, cliched story and characters I think I've ever seen. I actually watched all of this, thinking all the way "it's got to have a single goddamn unique thought in its head at some point, right?" "One of these characters has to have an interesting backstory, or learn an interesting life lesson, or something?" Nope. In fact, I'm not sure any character in this work changes, or grows, or learns a life lesson, or anything at all, outside of how much they metaphorically (or literally) want to ride the protagonist's dick. It is an absolute masterpiece of badness.

Most Avoided:: Eromanga-sensei. Honestly all I heard about it was "a new little sister anime from the creator of Oreimo" and I was out

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

3. My First Girlfriend is a Gal
2. King's Game
1. KADO: The Right Answer - biggest disappointment of 2017. Had so much promise.

Most Avoided: Seven Mortal Sins - Not the seven sins I was hoping to see.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2. Dragon dentist
1. Twocar - dull!
Most avoided: eromanga-sensei - Honestly all I heard about it was "a new little sister anime from the creator of Oreimo" and I was out

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Results!

:siren: The worst anime of 2017: :siren:
1. KADO: The Right Answer - 11

This show certainly suckered lots of people in with great early execution of its premise, but alas did it fall apart HARD.

The Rest:
2. Re:Creators - 9
3. Fate/Apocrypha - 7
4. Berserk 2nd Season - 6
T-5. Juuni Taisen: Zodiac Wars - 5
T-5. King's Game The Animation - 5
T-7. Black Clover - 3
T-7. Classicaloid - 3
T-7. Hand Shakers - 3

Too many to list tied at 10th

:siren: The most-avoided anime of 2017: :siren:
1. Eromanga-sensei - 6

The Rest:
T-2. Berserk 2nd Season - 3
T-2. Hand Shakers - 3
4. Seven Mortal Sins - 2

Spreadsheet!:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zy0OhwSNuoKtwfQc7KmsrA7pWF29-GrjNhWDM1lNVMI

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Now I feel obligated to watch KADO, to see what all the fuss was about.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Now I feel obligated to watch KADO, to see what all the fuss was about.

Don't do it its a bad anim

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still feel that Re:Creators would've been good if it was just a 11 episode anime. As it stands, I just hope that the "You just didn't get it, maaaaaaannn" brigade eventually shuts the gently caress up about it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wark Say posted:

As it stands, I just hope that the "You just didn't get it, maaaaaaannn" brigade eventually shuts the gently caress up about it.

who is this because I don’t think I’ve heard a single good word about it on ADTRW

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I still feel that Re:Creators would've been good if it was just a 11 episode anime. As it stands, I just hope that the "You just didn't get it, maaaaaaannn" brigade eventually shuts the gently caress up about it.

I think it could have been, but the way it divided the focus with the time it had makes me strongly suspect it would still have sucked.

Sure, tight pacing would be an improvement, but good pacing is only part of making something work.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Erg posted:

who is this because I don’t think I’ve heard a single good word about it on ADTRW
Ah, no. Not here. Anime Youtubers (I know, I know :cripes:) and reddit, on the other hand...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can anyone who watched all of Re:Creators give a summary of the second half of the series? Are there any watch-worthy moments even if the rest is bad?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Can anyone who watched all of Re:Creators give a summary of the second half of the series? Are there any watch-worthy moments even if the rest is bad?
Altair is the most boring broken character in existence, watch her defeat/kill creations by the gently caress-load. Glasses kid pulls a counter out of his rear end, the end.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Re:Creators had a strong beginning, a fantastic ending, one of the greatest recap episodes of all time in the middle, and incredible joke comics to supplement every episode. Yet the middle is such a mind-boggling drag that it earned it's spot on the most disappointing list.

nielsm posted:

Ep 17-21 is the showdown, i.e. the episodes that should have happened way way earlier.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

I still feel that Re:Creators would've been good if it was just a 11 episode anime.

I feel the same about Macross Delta. It might've been stronger if it had the original one cour plan.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i thought the first two or three episodes of re:creators had some genuinely good character bits but then episode 4 was literally just people talking to the japanese government in a dark room for 20 minutes and none of what i heard about it after that sounded good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i thought the first two or three episodes of re:creators had some genuinely good character bits but then episode 4 was literally just people talking to the japanese government in a dark room for 20 minutes and none of what i heard about it after that sounded good

hey, in some of the later episodes they instead talked to the japanese government in well-lit rooms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the only good thing to happen in re:creators after that point is the episode where one of the girls gets powered up by people retweeting someone's edgy redesign of her

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

the only good thing to happen in re:creators after that point is the episode where one of the girls gets powered up by people retweeting someone's edgy redesign of her

What about the recap episode? I've heard the recap episode has amusing moments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

What about the recap episode? I've heard the recap episode has amusing moments.

the recap episode was just the staff saying how much the show sucked. like the actual staff of the show. which is funny but didnt really happen 'in the show'

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
My opinion don't matter, but I'll just moan about it here.

Hated

1:Berserk 2nd Season. Its loving obvious from the first episode in 2016 that this poo poo show was going nowhere but wherever it eventually dragged its lazy CGI rear end in a top hat over, but I kept going until I saw it absolutely defecate all over Berserk Armor. I never thought I'd see something so awful that it'd make the joke of Inferno Cop look realistic, if not well animated in comparison. It is a loathsome, absolute con job preying upon a fan-base that has no choice but to give another curious gaze at the train-wreck carrying something they love keep smashing itself into a wall, over and over.

Disappointing

2: Re:Creators. What a waste of a decent idea. What's worse is that it gave off the impression of actually having a handle on said premise. If it was more upfront about how much it'll drop the ball, I wouldn't have been mad at it. I would have just avoided it.

Trying to Avoid

3: Black Clover. To be a Toonami Faithful, even in hate-watching, is a special kind of curse. I'm absolutely worried I'll find something that is more artificial, by-the-numbers, we want to make a Naruto Level Shonen as I peek over to why creepy obsessive protagonist is screaming about wizards or nuns in this episode, and that's the worst part about Black Clover the anime. That something will "perfect" this attempt and either it'll slide under the radar for a while or I'll just wonder why its treated like say My Hero Academa when its not even Garzey's Wing.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 14, 2018

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I liked the first three episodes as well, but everything else about Re:CREATORS just didn't seem worth it to me.
It had some okay moments here and there, like magical girl blowing up and the thread latched on to lie-girl since at least she tried being entertaining and doing something, while everyone else was dragging their feet. A lot of what it did just didn't work for me. I felt no attachment to main heroine, since she didn't really get many character moments outside of the first episode, so when she got wounded and eventually died in a heroic sacrifice it just fell flat. Meteora droning on was one of the biggest pacing problems. Persona/stand guy was side lined heavily to make space for more exposition. The relationships between creators and creations were acknowledged, but received little screen time and mostly just inferred. The one villain who actually had a compelling conflict, gruff middle aged gun guy, had an inconsistent hand-waved solution that didn't really mesh with the seinen roots of the character concept. Outside of the recap episode the show didn't have any half-way decent meta jokes or commentary either.

There was stuff here that had potential, but potential in itself isn't enough. They introduced too many characters, but never bothered having the audience have fun with the characters, since they had to go through all of their "world building" and exposition/repetition. Too few jokes, too few character moments for too big a cast that frequently got side lined because we really needed another three minutes of exposition NPC talking about measuring public opinion with magic technology.

In general, the show was all about tell, don't show.

I genuinely dislike this anime. It's not as straight up awful and trashy as something like Sword Art Online was, to be cited as an example of absolute dreck, but every decision about RE:Creators just seems baffling to me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of friends and acquaintances said that the show originally was going to have more exposition than what it ended up having. I honestly cannot fathom that prospect.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Honestly, it's hard for me to vote in this each year just because of the rules. I rarely actually bother with the 3-episode test. If a show doesn't interest me after 1 episode, I usually drop it. A show has to lure me in, then disappoint me later. Like Nanbaka.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rules are for losers

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Xinder posted:

Honestly, it's hard for me to vote in this each year just because of the rules. I rarely actually bother with the 3-episode test. If a show doesn't interest me after 1 episode, I usually drop it. A show has to lure me in, then disappoint me later. Like Nanbaka.

I think that's kinda the idea. Shows that turn you off after 1 ep are bad, with rarely anything interesting to say about it. It's the shows that get you for a few eps, the disappointing ones, that are interesting to look at.

For the others, we have the most avoided vote.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I could always give you more avoided votes or a dropped early vote or something. I mostly wanted a 3 episodes test for the main thing to avoid the votes all being for creepy fetish shows

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
If you do that, I think a vote for "worst fully completed series" could be interesting, as well.

I don't know if this happens to other people, but I suspect it does. You keep watching a series all the way to the end, expecting everything to tie together in a spectacular and fun way..... and then it turns out just to have been a waste of time and energy thinking about all of the wonderful possibilities that the author ignored.

Now, since it seems that most anime are just trying to sell LN/Manga volumes, this would be, by necessity, a single choice (and for me it would wind up being something already on my worst 3 anyway since I feel oddly compelled to finish the things that everyone else has dropped), but it could provide another interesting set of data.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Sounds like a fun category. If we had it for 2017, I feel like Bagamut - Virgin Soul would win in a walk.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think most people that were watching kado actually finished it hoping it would tie everything up but nope. And it won top honors anyways

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Eela6 posted:

Sounds like a fun category. If we had it for 2017, I feel like Bagamut - Virgin Soul would win in a walk.

Yeah definitely.

I still put it as my #5 best but that's only because I liked the first half so much. It really dropped the ball at the end.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Xinder posted:

Yeah definitely.

I still put it as my #5 best but that's only because I liked the first half so much. It really dropped the ball at the end.

Did the dragonlady married Bishi-hitler at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm way too late but here's some opinions.

Worst:

1. Juuni Taisen. Horribly overwritten garbage. I can kind of see how it could have worked in the original short story, in which the battle was only described in flashbacks, but spending a full twelve episodes on these characters and their loving asinine backstories was just too much. The show writers padded the poo poo out of the limited source material, using such classic screenwriting techniques as "have characters explain every single one of their actions before, during, and after the action" and "spend entire episodes on the backstories of deeply unlikable characters that ultimately have zero impact on the plot anyway". I hate this show for luring me in with a somewhat intriguing first episode, and I hate myself for not jumping ship earlier.

2. TWOCAR. This one was pleasant and funny for most of its run, but the final episode left a really bad taste in my mouth. Not only does it completely brush aside all of the character arcs of the other teams by handing a bullshit miracle win to the home team, it also completely shits on the character arcs of the two main girls by essentially hitting the reset button at the very last second. The whole point of sending the heartthrob coach away in the first episode was supposed to be to make the main characters realize that they didn't need him, and bring them closer together through mutual respect and a shared passion for racing. The whole point of bringing the coach back in the second half was supposed to be so that they could realize that he is actually a pathetic, manipulative jerk, and good riddance. The worst part is that the show absolutely seemed to understand all of this, right up until the last minute, when it basically went "Haha, nope, they still wanna gently caress the guy, and he's still to dense/kind/horny to tell them no", essentially undoing the entire season.

3. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. If this hadn't been made by KyoAni, it would have been completely ignored, and rightly so. There are occasional glimmers of a much better show - essentially, whenever it focuses on just the main family - but it was severely hampered by its dumb and overly pervy source material. The entire dragon angle ends up being completely superfluous, much like most of the one-note side characters, and the jokes miss more often than they hit. It speaks volumes that even a studio as good at adaptations as KyoAni couldn't elevate this beyond "tolerable".

4. Restaurant to Another World. Boring drivel that feels like someone Googled "most popular manga subjects", picked two at random, and just started writing, without any idea of structure, or plot, or characters, or any hook other than "isekai + food" and "it's comfy and pleasant".

Avoided:
- Tsugumomo, Ero-manga Sensei: No offense to the "it's actually really good if you look past the pedo/incest stuff" posters, but no thanks.
- Aho Girl: Just seemed really mean-spirited from what little I saw of it. Girl does dumb thing, guy punches girl, comedy!
- King's Game: This sticks out in my mind as the single worst first episode I watched in 2017.

• Locked thread