Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Crabtree posted:

Wait, what?!

the author of rurouni kenshin got busted having a ton of cp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking that Crimedad Crabtree might be confused about the Made in Abyss thing, though? Like, the Rurouni Kenshin thing was well publicized. Hell, here in México it even made it into local newspapers and junk.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

Boring is perhaps, the worst crime of all because it means there's v little to say about a show.

in this case it's just people who like SoL preemptively dumping on the shows they like. you can judge if that is better or not

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Isekai Restaraunt was really boring though, and I like slice of life. It basically had no characters. I can't remember a single character's name, and I watched nine episodes. Compare it to Centaur's Worries, which wasn't great but managed to have a real personality and at least five characters who stood out.

Hell, I've only seen three episodes of Konohana Kitan , which is a similarly comforting show, and the characters have made a much more distinct impression. There's Yuzu, who is incredibly gay for her senpai and wags her tail when she's nervous, which is all the time, and her co-workers Saber and Tsubasa*

*(I stole this from someone in the fall thread but it was a good joke)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think I'll judge it as a wash.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dogsicle posted:

boring is a bad thing

Non Non Biyori would like to have a word with you out back.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Non Non Biyori would like to have a word with you out back.

No. This meme must die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Wait, what?!

made in abyss is by a pedophile. it features lots of scenes of naked kids.
rurouni kenshin is by a pedophile. it does nto feature scenes of naked kids.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Isekai Restaraunt was really boring though, and I like slice of life. It basically had no characters. I can't remember a single character's name, and I watched nine episodes. Compare it to Centaur's Worries, which wasn't great but managed to have a real personality and at least five characters who stood out.

Hell, I've only seen three episodes of Konohana Kitan , which is a similarly comforting show, and the characters have made a much more distinct impression. There's Yuzu, who is incredibly gay for her senpai and wags her tail when she's nervous, which is all the time, and her co-workers Saber and Tsubasa*

*(I stole this from someone in the fall thread but it was a good joke)

my point is just if you ostensibly like a show, don't describe it as boring. acknowledging it might be boring to others is a different thing and not what these people seem to do (see: the dumbass non non biyori meme in this subforum). but yeah i didn't get the appeal of isekai restaurant because it's a bunch of thinly sketched characters losing their minds over traditional Japanese food without any of the cultural context that makes​ it interesting like in Wakako-zake/other food series.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

my point is just if you ostensibly like a show, don't describe it as boring. acknowledging it might be boring to others is a different thing and not what these people seem to do (see: the dumbass non non biyori meme in this subforum). but yeah i didn't get the appeal of isekai restaurant because it's a bunch of thinly sketched characters losing their minds over traditional Japanese food without any of the cultural context that makes​ it interesting like in Wakako-zake/other food series.

Sure, I get what you're saying. There's a goon habit to put down the things you like; I'll describe a lot of anime I liked as 'dumb' or 'garbage' or whatever and it's kind of the same thing. It's part of the flavor of the forums' language, but it can be tiring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not a goon-specific thing, lots of people in the anime community around the net do it in general. it sucks and i hate it, you shouldn't call things you genuinely like garbage

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

it's not a goon-specific thing, lots of people in the anime community around the net do it in general. it sucks and i hate it, you shouldn't call things you genuinely like garbage

Y-you're garbage!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

No. This meme must die.

Non Non Biyori is boring :twisted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i genuinely like a bunch of stuff that is genuinely garbage. quality and enjoyment aren't always related.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Colonel posted:

Why not, sometimes stuff you like is garbage.

The fact you can recognize and accept that is a good thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a difference between enjoying something because it's bad, and enjoying something because it does things you like but calling it trash so that you don't have to feel associated with it when other people call it trash and the latter happens a lot, with anime

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

there's a difference between enjoying something because it's bad, and enjoying something because it does things you like but calling it trash so that you don't have to feel associated with it when other people call it trash and the latter happens a lot, with anime

Guilty as charged. :shrug:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I never saw the boring NNB thing as putting it down, but rather poking fun at the fact that like half the screen time is devoted to kids walking though pastoral landscapes not saying much. I've participated in the meme and still get a chuckle out of it, but it's unfortunate that it perhaps drove folks away from such a fine show, a downside I hadn't considered at the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think anything I like is garbage because if I like something it did something well.

That doesn't mean it's objectively good, just that it has qualities I actually like about it. It's much more interesting to talk about those things and acknowledge its flaws while still pointing out how it comes together into something you like then to just go garbage/trash/whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also the anime community aren't exactly a closely knit group of well-informed critics, so a lot of stuff that actually is well-made and has thought put into it gets dismissed as 'trash' because people watch an episode and then some random brony on youtube makes a dismissive, mean-spirited joke about it and that's just what that show is forever now, and likewise stuff that is very sloppily put together or clearly pandering gets built up as hugely important art because people like it, and if you like something it has to be the literal smartest anime ever made and not just something you like.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

I don't think anything I like is garbage because if I like something it did something well.

That doesn't mean it's objectively good, just that it has qualities I actually like about it. It's much more interesting to talk about those things and acknowledge its flaws while still pointing out how it comes together into something you like then to just go garbage/trash/whatever.

This was put better than whatever I could write.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I rarely have particularly nuanced opinions about stuff I like, so if someone else says they're bad and I am a terrible person for liking them I can't really argue against it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 16, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still enjoy Highschool of the Dead, but I have to accept that it's hella trashy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

I rarely have particularly nuanced opinions about stuff I like, so if someone else says they're bad I can't really argue against it.

I can sometimes, but even when you have an argument, it's generally kind of tiring, and there's always a chance you missed something that forces you to kinda go "Oh, yeah. That's lovely, isn't it?", which is depressing.

Much easier to insult your stuff preemptive like.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chiasaur11 posted:

I can sometimes, but even when you have an argument, it's generally kind of tiring, and there's always a chance you missed something that forces you to kinda go "Oh, yeah. That's lovely, isn't it?", which is depressing.

Much easier to insult your stuff preemptive like.

this is why that's bad

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i really hope the animation studio for season 2 of made in abyss will throw the author's creepy pedo garbage out, i want to see where the story goes but i really don't want to see more pedo fanservice

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I've learned that trash-talking of an anime from people whose taste is very much not my own, is actually a pretty good way for me to find anime that I enjoy. It is a better predictor of what I will enjoy, then even positive recommendations from people who tend to like the shows I like as well.

I'm not sure if that approach would work for others, though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

You're not garbage

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thankfully, Land of the Lustrous is perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Thankfully, Land of the Lustrous is perfect.
a couple of the cliffhangers are kinda 'cheaty.'. like when the twins are getting crunched and tell phos to run, and then the next episode starts and thy're just being put back together. like, yeah, that's a thing the gems can do, be put back together, but framing an episode's ending like that and then immediately resolving it two minutes into the next episode is a little dumb. thats mostly on the manga since i think it goes the same way, and I can't really blame a monthly manga for wanting people to get invested in reading the next chapter early on, but still.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Wark Say posted:

I'm thinking that Crimedad Crabtree might be confused about the Made in Abyss thing, though? Like, the Rurouni Kenshin thing was well publicized. Hell, here in México it even made it into local newspapers and junk.

Nah, I guess I just didn't look up or pay attention to the Kenshin thing. I'll believe what everyone else's said about an anime exclusively featuring very young characters with not a lot of clothing on, I guess I just missed that ancient bombshell ages ago.

Just tell me if Kouta Hirano is anything other than a gun loving dough ball, or if Yasuhiro Nightow is actually a serial killer or something right now so I can stop liking old shows or upcoming Gungrave stuff ahead of time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

Nah, I guess I just didn't look up or pay attention to the Kenshin thing. I'll believe what everyone else's said about an anime exclusively featuring very young characters with not a lot of clothing on, I guess I just missed that ancient bombshell ages ago.

Just tell me if Kouta Hirano is anything other than a gun loving dough ball, or if Yasuhiro Nightow is actually a serial killer or something right now so I can stop liking old shows or upcoming Gungrave stuff ahead of time.

It was 2017 news so you're not that late. It mostly came and went, I guess because there's nothing much to say other than "holy poo poo that's horrible".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

Gotcha. As mycot said, it was a late 2017 thing. It came and went and... well, that's it. I was not keen to the Made in Abyss guy being a creep, though.

From what little interactions I had with the dude (twice during early 2009), Kouta Hirano reminded me a lot of Tomokazu Sugita: He loves his dirty jokes and hobbies, but he's a stand-up dude otherwise. Also loves his rock music.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know Hirano’s buddies with the Highschool of the Dead author, who’s a lunatic ultranationalist, but I don’t know whether that carries over. And if we started judging authors on the company they keep, we’d have to deal with the fact that two of Eichiro Oda’s friends have turned out to be convicted paedophiles (Watsuki and the Toriko guy).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hirano and the high school of the dead author seem like they're buddies because they're both military nerds. or were both military nerds, anyway. high school of the dead's author passed away early last year.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rest in titty heaven

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Colonel posted:

rest in titty heaven

His brother, who drew it, is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

His brother, who drew it, is still alive.

I'm glad we still live in tity heaven

• Locked thread