Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I usually find disappointment more compelling to talk about than the worst, so that's what my list is focused on.

1. Atom: The Beginning - Whoever decided that classic Tezuka manga need incredibly mediocre prequels needs to be stopped. It doesn't live up to the promise it shows off in its OP, favoring a much more bland approach instead. Do yourself a favor and watch the 2003 Astro Boy instead, it's a gorgeous anime that still looks amazing today, far far better than anything Atom: The Beginning manages. Fortunately there's hope on the horizon because they're making a Pluto anime.

2. Recovery of an MMO Junkie - After a strong start it spun its wheels far too long, the cast evolved into blushing teenagers in the bodies of adults and it decided that some of its jokes were so funny they had to be repeated several times. It was ultimately a rom-com where I burned out on the rom and the com wasn't delivering once it ran out of material.

3. Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series - I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of the original series but this was a completely lifeless adaption that proved the original series' strengths were entirely due to its director, not the material.

4. Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor - It feels mean to pick on such a nothing short, but on the other hand in a year with a fair number of strong revivals of older properties, it's hard not to look at a new anime related to such a classic and wonder, why the hell did they bring back Tylor in short form. Why are the episodes all about exposition instead of doing literally anything that people loved the original Tylor for. It's a bad format for Tylor and they make the worst of the runtime they have.

5. Animegataris - Hell, I like this show for the most part but I'm siding with Erg's post on this. Those last two episodes were messy and while some of the gags in the penultimate episode landed for me, the entire finale just left me wondering why. Is it fitting that a show that literally joked about jumping the shark near the end wound up jumping the shark? Yeah, but I wish it didn't! The show was at its strongest when it was relatively grounded and focused on exploring anime fandom with a dash of some pretty solid comedic timing. Meanwhile its finale is an incredibly meta plot that's lacking in humor and isn't interesting enough on its own to carry it through. Unlike the other shows on this list I don't regret watching it, I just wanted to share my disappointment with how it all wrapped up. Until that point I got a fair amount of enjoyment out of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boring is perhaps, the worst crime of all because it means there's v little to say about a show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think I'll judge it as a wash.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Non Non Biyori would like to have a word with you out back.

No. This meme must die.

• Locked thread