Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Keeping this short and sweet, the title should be self evident.

While I'd have to get a full list of everything I watched to really nail down an answer, one of the shows I watched this year that really stuck with me was Romeo's Blue Skies. I had never watched any World Masterpiece Theater anime despite knowing about them for a long time, and despite its shortcomings near the end (The anime has a lot of original content because its source material is so short, which isn't a problem until the very end when it has to reconcile its original content with the book's ending and they don't mesh very well), I found it to be an entertaining watch all the way through. There's a specific look to most of the WMT anime that I really dig and it works well in motion. I picked that WMT anime in particular since I had some familiarity with the stories of the more well known WMT shows, so I looked around the shows I had zero knowledge of. And it paid off, I'm definitely willing to check out more and plan to watch at least one of them in 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-aCo-NFMg

This year I also watched far more anime movies than I typically do. There's a bunch I could name but for now I'm gonna narrow it down to one, A Penguin's Memories. Newly fansubbed this year by the best fansub group still active, Orphan. Its entire existence is remarkable; the director behind the commercials for Suntory Beer featuring penguins was able to make a movie with said penguins. As far as I can tell (there's not a lot of information out there about its production and in fact the fansubs are only available via laserdisc rips) he had a lot of freedom when making this movie. In short, the director of some beer commercials featuring penguins made a movie that opens with penguins fighting in not-Vietnam, and centers around a penguin soldier trying to find himself after coming back from the war. It's not breaking any particularly new ground for movies as a whole but as far as anime movies go it stands out. Despite a few minor bits of silliness over the course of the story, it's a surprisingly mature movie that is very much worth a watch. It's a drat shame that this is the first and only anime its director ever made, as far as directorial debuts go it's quite good.

What cool older anime have you seen this year, ADTRW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread