Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have no idea wtf I'm doing in this game and I love it. My people do not love it though. So much complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

in regards to endless scenario people:

that is not what this game is, sorry for killing your cities 2 in frost autism boner

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It does not feel like an absurd thing to add in, say, a The Chilly Ones DLC pack.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Game is 10% off on steam if you already own This War of Mine

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is definitely more a survival game than a city builder. It isn't as bad as This War of Mine, but you are constantly fighting bad weather and overpopulation. You really have to pay attention to make sure that all your resources are used effectively.

It would become trivially easy after a bit if it was just endless since there are infinite resources on the map, but still.

The harder scenarios are going to be the meat of the game imo. There are a lot of techs you just can't get to in time unless you beeline for them, so scenarios will assuredly direct you to them.

Have you played Oxygen Not Included? Just wondering how it stacks up against that in terms of like, flow and relative “okay this is stable, but only until x resource runs out or population increases”.

I’m going to buy and probably enjoy Frostpunk, but I’m trying to gauge whether or not it’ll be a sort of one and done playthrough or if I’ll stick with it a long time.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

drunkill posted:

Cheapest price is to buy off of GOG (the devs get a larger cut vs buying on steam) with a promo code. I googled and 'YogscastFrostpunk' gives you 10% off so the price is $24.15 USD until May 2nd when the launch sale ends.

https://www.gog.com/redeem/YogscastFrostpunk?pp=fce7b95fb26969af8afd58102677dd04da9a9f09

Can't seem to get this to stack with the standard 10% discount. I'll just get it off GOG though, Humble is cheaper but DRM free is worth a couple of extra bucks to me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Humble is DRM free, though? Ignore me, this one just gives you a Steam key and no separate DL link.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Have you played Oxygen Not Included? Just wondering how it stacks up against that in terms of like, flow and relative “okay this is stable, but only until x resource runs out or population increases”.

I’m going to buy and probably enjoy Frostpunk, but I’m trying to gauge whether or not it’ll be a sort of one and done playthrough or if I’ll stick with it a long time.

I love ONI and this is not that. It's more a game of managing your citizen's moods with resources rather than using those to make sprawling efficient cities. Yes, you can set up outposts and such to make things work better, and those will provide you with a theoretically infinite amount of stuff, but those are really just there to enable you to stretch your colony out for long enough to enact Ice Facism or whatever.

E. Really it's space that is the issue more than resources a lot of the time. You are trying to huddle things around heat sources as much as you can, because otherwise you're going to burn all of your coal just trying to keep those outlying buildings warm.

Newbie tip I noticed, it's totally savvy to build certain buildings on the outskirts of town without any worry. Things like stockpiles, cemeteries, etc don't need heat and just take up space.

E2. Whoo boy, I thought getting through the Londoners was the main thrust of the game. Nooooope.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 25, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember listening to a thing on the bbc about surviving situations like these and the core tennants were "work together for a common goal, nobody gets left behind, nobody gets eaten."

Me: "sorry i cant hear you over the sound of my child labor and sawdust soup"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

that is not what this game is, sorry for killing your cities 2 in frost autism boner

endless scenarios are better tho.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Playing it, I don’t *hate* that it’s got a clear end and it doesn’t detract from the experience they wanted but I guess in this day and age it’s impossible to have any sort of nuanced opinion and it’s either perfect or garbage. The battle lines have been drawn.

It would be really cool to have increasingly complex societies which require increasingly involved supply chains and balances in an endless scenario, but hey the game doesn’t want to do that it’s pretty cool for what it is, so it’s still good?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kind of curious how many scenarios it has and the General difficulty of it. Still debating on getting this or Battletech first. I think I might like this as a concept more but Battletech seems a ton more meaty.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kater posted:

Kind of curious how many scenarios it has and the General difficulty of it. Still debating on getting this or Battletech first. I think I might like this as a concept more but Battletech seems a ton more meaty.

It's very difficult to complete, at least from my experience. You'll definitely need to run the campaign over and over to complete it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I made it to within the last couple of days on my first attempt, but ended up getting to a point where nothing I could possibly do would reduce Discontent fast enough to save me. If I enacted the New Order I'd get executed and if I didn't I'd get banished from the city in the middle of a -140F ice storm, i.e. executed

It's super fun, though, already about to give it another go

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I was hesitant on automatons because of the reduced efficiency, but then I realized they work in the cold without concern and work 24/7 and my production skyrocketed.

The main bottleneck ended up being steam cores, because I needed those for automatons, the good medical building, and advanced resource structures.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

Edit: I also just had the first event that left me with a kind of a weird feeling about my decision: An injured worker was due to have his arm amputated because of gangrene, but he violently resisted the attempt. The choice was between letting him have his way, which would probably kill him, or to subdue him and forcibly save his life through amputation. I basically immediately went with the former option, in part on the grounds of basic informed consent, but my overriding rationale was basically: "Either he makes it, in which case I retain a useful worker, or he dies, in which case I won't have to feed a useless amputee. Win-win!". Only a second afterwards did I realise how intensely hosed up that was. :stare:

I forced him to have his leg chopped off he later committed suicide

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
A question about the Worker Assignment: the Hunters Hut seems to only from from 18:00 to 6:00 right? And regular buildings typically 8:00-18:00 or something. So should I be assigning max workers to Hunters Hut at night, and then setting them to 0 during the day and working on something else?

e: Also what does Gathering Post do exactly? It wasn't really clear to me. I almost screwed myself badly by eating up all the wood and not having Sawmills ready.

I'm kind of surprised how dead both this thread and Steam one is about it. I guess everyone's playing Battletech but it seemed like a fairly high profile game.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 25, 2018

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Xaris posted:

e: Also what does Gathering Post do exactly? It wasn't really clear to me. I almost screwed myself badly by eating up all the wood and not having Sawmills ready.

Its workers gather stuff within its radius. It's insulated and can be heated, so it does a decent job preventing frostbite while you're still in the gathering phase.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

No Pants posted:

Its workers gather stuff within its radius. It's insulated and can be heated, so it does a decent job preventing frostbite while you're still in the gathering phase.

It's main use long-term is to gather coal that the coal washer (or whatever it's called) spits out as well.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I narrowly pulled off a win on my first run through, and only because I hedged my bets ludicrously farther than I thought I would need. I decided that cold was the thing that was probably going to kill me the hardest, so I built a metric poo poo-tonne of storage and set it to hold coal. I had almost 15K coal stockpiled when I went into the final event. Despite that, I still ended up burning it almost all the way down to the bone. I was watching my sick overflow my limited hospital space. Until the hospitals shut down for lack of heat. In the final push, I was biting my knuckles and praying for the cold to end before my crater turned into a corpsefest. But we survived. 631 survivors.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
There are at least 3 scenarios. The first one unlocks on day 20 of the campaign, the second one unlocks on day 20 of the arks (the first scenario I presume) and then a third.

Possibly more with dlc in the future. But at least those will have various objectives to reach.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Xaris posted:

A question about the Worker Assignment: the Hunters Hut seems to only from from 18:00 to 6:00 right? And regular buildings typically 8:00-18:00 or something. So should I be assigning max workers to Hunters Hut at night, and then setting them to 0 during the day and working on something else?

I'm kind of surprised how dead both this thread and Steam one is about it. I guess everyone's playing Battletech but it seemed like a fairly high profile game.

I've been way too busy playing the game to take any time away to post. I'm enjoying it. Beat the main scenario on Normal, now trying the Refugees one on Hard and it's a lot rougher...really makes me consider my actions and balance everything more.

I believe you can re-assign people back and forth from the Hunter's Hut, but the danger is that they like to take breaks to eat after they return from hunting. I've tried this and had my sawmill stand idle for 2-3 hours while they took breakfast break. There may be some way around this, or there could be other issues...I usually just keep my workers in the hunter's huts full time.

Gathering posts are insanely good. They're slightly more efficient per worker than just assigning directly to resource piles, and they provide insulation protecting you from that cold and avoiding early sick people. I usually try to get 2 up ASAP covering as much as possible, while any remaining workers try to strip any piles the gathering posts can't reach before the first temperature drop hits.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love this game, it straddles that perfect edge between challenging and bullshit. I’ve been obsessively replaying from day 1 to get the perfect start.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I made it, I became military dictator and held mass executions while scrambling to get supplies ready for the storm. My city went from about 600 or so people to losing about 100 to the Londoners to five hundred to about 280 in the last week as people starved, froze to death or were sent on suicide missions, including chucking kids into the generator to keep it running... however I think humanity *might* live. However the coolest thing in the scenario was stuff we only saw the aftermath of in crazy Tesla Icebreaker Dreadnoughts and a haunted city.

Look forward to the other scenario's, I think my biggest problem was I didn't cluster stuff around the generator so I was pretty wasteful with coal keeping a bunch of hubs powered. I also built too much lumber harvesting at expense of maybe more food factories etc. Not trying to brag this was my first attempt dry run, and I am sure I did things incredibly sub-optimally. It was a nailbiting four hours or so too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Faldoncow posted:

Gathering posts are insanely good. They're slightly more efficient per worker than just assigning directly to resource piles, and they provide insulation protecting you from that cold and avoiding early sick people. I usually try to get 2 up ASAP covering as much as possible, while any remaining workers try to strip any piles the gathering posts can't reach before the first temperature drop hits.

You can also send workers to resource piles even if there's already a gathering post working them. Especially early on it's a good accelerator.

One thing that surprised me and that I figured I should share is that infirmaries are not in-place upgrades for medical posts. They are their own building with their own, larger, footprint.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't know if its encouraging that less than a day after its come out people are like "yeah i've finished it."

That might just be a "but goons, dude" thing though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I did my best, 3 times in a row.

As another goon asked: do I shuttle my people between hunter's huts and everything else? If so that adds tons of manpower, and also tons of micromanagement.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

dogstile posted:

I don't know if its encouraging that less than a day after its come out people are like "yeah i've finished it."

That might just be a "but goons, dude" thing though.

I find it extremely hard to believe that people finish it on their first try without having watched streams etc. I learned a bunch of stuff in my first two games that was not obvious at all. I'm sure a lot of stuff seems obvious if you've watched gameplay videos and streams, but yeah, anyone who plays this and finishes it first try without knowing anything about it, is a straight up genius.

edit: if you've played and enjoyed 'this war of mine', this has a similar feel. They could add a lot of different scenarios without too much extra work.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I won on my first try, but probably only because I watched someone on YouTube play it to about day 20. Knowing how to plan your city layout from the start is huge, and having everyone within range of a fighting pit makes dissent a non-issue for most of the game.

For a game trying not to be a city builder and seemingly going out of its way to make you build a sprawling mess, actual city planning matters a hell of a lot.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Game is kicking my rear end and I love it.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I normally hesitate to say something is a bug, but this is getting ridiculous. Does anyone else have problems with sick people—as in, pandemic-level sickness numbers? It seems that no matter what I do, the numbers of sick people just skyrocket with no rhyme or reason.

I ran some test games on normal difficulty. By 8am Day 2, between 50-80 people (i.e. literally everyone) were sick. It didn't matter if I ran the generator before shift ended and had tents up. It didn't matter if I had a cookhouse running.

Google searches haven't been much use; does anyone have any insight? Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

The Evil Thing posted:

I normally hesitate to say something is a bug, but this is getting ridiculous. Does anyone else have problems with sick people—as in, pandemic-level sickness numbers? It seems that no matter what I do, the numbers of sick people just skyrocket with no rhyme or reason.

I ran some test games on normal difficulty. By 8am Day 2, between 50-80 people (i.e. literally everyone) were sick. It didn't matter if I ran the generator before shift ended and had tents up. It didn't matter if I had a cookhouse running.

Google searches haven't been much use; does anyone have any insight? Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Hard to say what the issue is without seeing your city layout, but if your sims are sleeping in the cold, their chance of getting sick increases dramatically. Click on the tents and hover your mouse over the thermometer to check if they are properly heated.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Evil Thing posted:

8AM day 2 seems way too early to make sense. Unless move 1 was, like, sawdust soup, on day 1 it's possible to not have scavenged enough wood to even get tents built for everybody. Having your entire workforce incapacitated after the first night sounds like something you'll want to bring up with the devs. Try and get a save file over to them.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

symphoniccacophony posted:

Hard to say what the issue is without seeing your city layout, but if your sims are sleeping in the cold, their chance of getting sick increases dramatically. Click on the tents and hover your mouse over the thermometer to check if they are properly heated.

All around the generator and at "red" heat level, so it shouldn't actually be possible to get sick, yet somehow they managed it. In this particular case I cheated extra building materials because I wanted to see if having houses made any difference, but it clearly didn't. :v:

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

The Evil Thing posted:

All around the generator and at "red" heat level, so it shouldn't actually be possible to get sick, yet somehow they managed it. In this particular case I cheated extra building materials because I wanted to see if having houses made any difference, but it clearly didn't. :v:

That red cross with the number 80 at bottom of screen is telling you that you have 80 sick people that aren't being treated. Where's your infirmary?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

symphoniccacophony posted:

That red cross with the number 80 at bottom of screen is telling you that you have 80 sick people that aren't being treated. Where's your infirmary?

Infirmary wouldn't run if all the engineers are sick.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

The Evil Thing posted:

Infirmary wouldn't run if all the engineers are sick.

Also it's not built? :shrug:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Also it's not built? :shrug:

Well, I mean... sure, I could build an infirmary and have 75 sick people and 5 in treatment. Would that solve the problem at its root?

EDIT: That was a single sample of a game where I was experimenting. My original game had 6 infirmaries and was still overrun with sick people, who then became gravely ill. Initially I thought it was because I'd built some bunkhouses outside the generator's range, but the numbers still surprised me.

EDIT 2: @vvv Yeah I'll keep hammering away. Maybe I'll get lucky.

The Evil Thing fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Evil Thing posted:

looks like a bug. i've seen those when i frequently restart to optimize the first few days. once i couldn't start the generator, it just ate 6 coal each time i clicked the button. i also got a crash another time. try restarting the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are they all eating raw food?