Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Desperately having to use fossil fuels to warm the world up would certainly be an unconventional twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hopefully the digging will lead to geothermal, or just living underground, closer to the heat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bold of you to assume that whatever bullshit froze the world didn't break the Earth's core.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bloodly posted:

Hopefully the digging will lead to geothermal, or just living underground, closer to the heat.

An ant farm colony sim a la Oxygen Not Included where you have to dig into the ground to find a narrow band of habitable temperature ranges which slowly moves towards the core as the outside crust freezes over, forcing you to constantly move your functional buildings to stay in the band, would be pretty sweer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bold of you to assume that whatever bullshit froze the world didn't break the Earth's core.

At least in Snowpiercer the horrible freezing was man-made. A botched attempt at fixing global warming that worked way too well!

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The official trailer for Frostpunk 2 is out, and a release date of some time in 2024. Doesn't seem to reveal much new information, and I'm assuming it's not in-game footage, but good to see that it's happening!

Remalle fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 12, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I got this on sale just now and a) Jesus the mood is so good and b) I haven't played a city builder game in loving ages and everything is overwhelming. My main issue so far is the road UI: I want to try to build my roads with an eye towards eventual expansion but something with the radial shape is messing with my head.

I'm trying really hard to avoid spoilers or definitive guides but are there good general principles for overall city layout? I'm trying to create things like housing districts relatively close to the generator for heat but I don't want to just make a ton of roads off into nowhere that I won't end up using. My first day I made two roads to the coal deposits only to find I can't make coal mines yet, which was a bit of a letdown.

Also, I'm assuming that laws are largely paired together and that you can only pick one of each pair, and that can't be switched or repealed at any point? And are the branches coming off from laws coming off from the whole node or from each side of the binary choice? Ie if I pick between child labor or child homes can I then pick from any of the other laws stemming off that pick or am I essentially locking myself out of further choices?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You really don't need to build roads very far in advance, only build them up when you're also building up buildings. One trick for early in the game is to even deconstruct some of the initial road around the generator to get some spare wood. If you lay down any roads you don't like, you can deconstruct them later. That's especially relevant for when you're building out to gathering posts or lumber yards, because the resource may get depleted eventually so you can just deconstruct everything when it no longer matters.

Housing definitely should be built close to the generator at first but sometimes when you have a bunch more houses to build and there's not room in the radius of the generator, then usually the move is to build a steam hub to center a new district on. Most any building benefits from being in the generator's radius and having steam hubs warming things up, but other buildings sometimes get their own heating systems so it's less important to get external heating on them. Some buildings like warehouses and hunter's huts don't really have people they need to keep warm so you should probably put them way out of the way so they don't take up any space of your heating systems.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

So I got this on sale just now and a) Jesus the mood is so good and b) I haven't played a city builder game in loving ages and everything is overwhelming. My main issue so far is the road UI: I want to try to build my roads with an eye towards eventual expansion but something with the radial shape is messing with my head.

I'm trying really hard to avoid spoilers or definitive guides but are there good general principles for overall city layout? I'm trying to create things like housing districts relatively close to the generator for heat but I don't want to just make a ton of roads off into nowhere that I won't end up using. My first day I made two roads to the coal deposits only to find I can't make coal mines yet, which was a bit of a letdown.

In general, your big concern is heating buildings. Buildings come in four types: want heat in the day (all your production buildings); want heat at night (housing and pubs); want heat all the time (medical buildings, housing until you pass some laws to do stuff with kids); and never care about heat (hunting buildings, graveyards, outposts, beacons). Edit: there are ways to adjust what’s in what category, but that’s all spoilery stuff so just take the basic info.

You have two ways to heat things: the generator (runs whenever you want) and braziers (run during the day, all the time, or can run odd hours if you’re willing to super micromanage them by turning them on and off yourself). You’re generally right to have housing around the generator; other principals for city layout tend to be to keep like-heat-needs together, so keep your hunting huts off and out of the way in places you’ll never care about heating, build production buildings around fixed locations like iron and coal mines you want to heat soon, and keep housing to the center or next to braziers you plan to keep going 24/7. Mixing groups leads to wasting coal.

The sim parts really don’t care about distance and placement otherwise, so there’s no penalty for having workers living on the opposite side of town from jobs AFAIK.

quote:

Also, I'm assuming that laws are largely paired together and that you can only pick one of each pair, and that can't be switched or repealed at any point? And are the branches coming off from laws coming off from the whole node or from each side of the binary choice? Ie if I pick between child labor or child homes can I then pick from any of the other laws stemming off that pick or am I essentially locking myself out of further choices?

You’re correct that they’re one-time binary choices, so Child Labor is permanent even once you’re swimming in resources and no longer need it. Subsequent picks in the chain are specific to prior choices, so Child Labor opens two new laws and permanently closes off the two laws that come after Child Homes.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Fantastic, thanks! Off to grind my citizens to a finely frozen paste

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One big tip that I wish I was told when I first started playing is how to manage sick people at work. When you assign people to work at a building, it will take any healthy people first, then any ill people, then any terminally ill people. If you have enough space in medical facilities, the sick people won't work. So what you can do, before the start of each work day, is unassign all of your workers, and then fill your buildings back up stating with the most important ones so that the healthy people go to them first.

If you want to be a little cheesy you can also disable your medical posts during the work day. This forces the sick workers back to work and frees up the engineers, and having a bigger workforce is very important in the early game. As long as you turn the posts back on at night, the sick people won't get any sicker, but they also won't get healthy. You'll also get more sick people, so it's not something you can do for very long, just until you get better facilities.

Another handy tip is that you can mostly get away with leaving the generator off during the day for the first few days, because most people are going to be out gathering resources anyway.

There are lots of other little optimizations you can do as you learn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That spoiler isn't strictly correct - sick people who aren't being treated will become more sick, requiring more treatment time in a medical bed overall before they become well. And if they become gravely ill then that's really bad because they can't be treated at all until you get something better than medical posts. You do get a good boost in productivity with this strategy but it's an advanced strategy that takes a good understanding of how much medical infrastructure you can afford to staff each night vs how many sick people are in your colony.

You can skip turning on the generator on the first day until some absurdly late time of night, I think it's like 1AM. If you go past that time a bunch of people die, but if you turn on the generator at the last second then everyone's fine

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah when you get into the nitty gritty of the health mechanics in particular, and much of the game really, there’s a lot of weird interactions to take advantage of. But it’s much better to not worry about them during the first few playthroughs when the player focus is on the story and themes, rather than system mastery.

My only real tip for the new player is that they can use building footprints to plan out their roads and city design, then delete the footprints. That way you can create central avenues or standardized districts much easier.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PSA the sawmill upgrades are a waste of time, get wall drills instead

Coal mines are kind of mid, thumpers are way better. Coal mines are pretty alright still just not great

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kaal posted:

My only real tip for the new player is that they can use building footprints to plan out their roads and city design, then delete the footprints. That way you can create central avenues or standardized districts much easier.
Ooh. This I like, once I found out my workshop is slightly longer than everything else so far. Is there another way to create fake templates or do I just cancel a building before it gets started for a full refund?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88rlDT57OY

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Coal mines are kind of mid, thumpers are way better. Coal mines are pretty alright still just not great

Coal mines at the very least are more labor and space efficient if those are a concern.

Never use charcoal burners, you've really hosed up if you need to use those.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Steamcores don't grow on trees, and it makes me feel good to fully exploit the on map resources and steadily expand out the treeless perimeter before building over the area and wasting precious wood.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ravenfood posted:

Ooh. This I like, once I found out my workshop is slightly longer than everything else so far. Is there another way to create fake templates or do I just cancel a building before it gets started for a full refund?

Yeah you’ve got the idea. You can use the building footprints of the size you want to lay down the roads, and the roads will make sure the buildings will go in the right spots. It’s a helpful planning tool, particularly when paused.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think the main things I'd point out for new players are:

1. Upgrading the generator's range is a trap option. Stick with steam hubs to cover things outside the generator's default range.

2. You want to get an Outpost Depot and Outpost Team(s) up and running ASAP.

3. Keep an eye on your wood piles and make sure you have appropriate buildings to get more before you run out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Steamcores don't grow on trees, and it makes me feel good to fully exploit the on map resources and steadily expand out the treeless perimeter before building over the area and wasting precious wood.

Trees don't grow on trees - eventually the map runs out of trees that can be chopped down. Wall drills on the other hand are probably the most effective way to utilize steam cores

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Roadie posted:

I think the main things I'd point out for new players are:

1. Upgrading the generator's range is a trap option. Stick with steam hubs to cover things outside the generator's default range.

2. You want to get an Outpost Depot and Outpost Team(s) up and running ASAP.

3. Keep an eye on your wood piles and make sure you have appropriate buildings to get more before you run out.

oh yeah that's a good point, scouting is an insanely lucrative option that you should really prioritize early on, this isn't obvious

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gathering posts are extremely important in the early game, not only do they make your workers more efficient, they also keep them relatively warmer and less prone to sickness. And you get the majority of the building cost back when you scrap them when the piles run out.

QuarkJets posted:

oh yeah that's a good point, scouting is an insanely lucrative option that you should really prioritize early on, this isn't obvious

Speaking of scouting, here's another cool trick, spoiler if you don't want to cheese: you can assign sick and starving people to your scouting teams, and they will never die as long as you don't disband the team. They will probably die when you do eventually disband them, but it's a good way to get rid of 5 sick and/or starving people in the early days.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gathering posts are so good, it's surprising how much more effective they are than just sending people directly to stacks of supplies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trying to think of all the other tips I know, I haven't played in a long time and they're coming to me slowly.

Running out of steel can really gently caress you up in the midgame. You don't need a lot of it early on so wood will be your main bottleneck. But once your piles run out, the only way to get more is from iron mines, scouting, or an outpost if you have one. If you don't keep up on iron mine upgrades you'll have problems.

Like roadie said, upgrading the generator range is a bad idea, but upgrading its heat output is very good, since it improves the output of steam hubs too. Spending more coal on heating means you can put off researching bunks and houses and spend the resources on other things.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
A neat trick I was unaware of going into the game: Each building has a set fotprint, but it will expand or contract slightly to fit with existing roads. So if you build a ring of tents or similar-sized stuff in the generator's inner ring and then build streets out between every second tent, you can now fit three tents in the second ring for every two tents in the inner ring. You basically get space for an extra tent in the second ring and your layout becomes symmetrical and nice.

As for laws, the binary choices are basically always about immediate vs long-term needs. Child labour might be tempting here and now, but in two weeks game time you'll probably have enough adult workers that those kids will just be sitting around doing nothing. The only real trap choice I see is the soup vs sawdust meals law. Soup raises discontent, while sawdust meals raises sickness - and you will never ever be in a position where more sick are easier to handle than more discontent. Soup 4 lyfe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your first Emergency Shift is basically a freebie - it's worth slamming it on a fully-occupied workshop as soon as you get one built. Scouts are the most effective way to acquire resources in the early game, and you can prioritize getting a scout beacon built by basically building a workshop on the first day and running Emergency Shift on it as soon as it's done. After using that "freebie", though, emergency shift has a good chance of getting people killed, so I never use it after that. Extended Shift on the other hand is great, it lets you trade discontent for productivity and is very nice as an option

Soup is very good, sawdust is very bad.

Moonshine negates the discontent from soup and then some, it has a surprisingly massive improvement on discontent and there's basically no downside

Child labor helps a lot in the early game whereas child shelters are insanely good in the mid and late game. If you can do without, then it's much better to do without

Extra Rations for the Ill is less good than you might think - the improvement in healing time is big but kind of costly in the early game, and it's annoying to have to keep pressing the button whenever you want to use it. Overcrowding is extremely good - it has a small discontent penalty when you select it, but that goes away fast, and from then on there's no downside. Medical capacity is limited by the number of engineers in your workforce, and you need those engineers for other stuff too, so Overcrowding can be a huge boon. Overcrowding is basically mandatory on harder difficulties, that or letting a bunch of people die

You might think that ceremonial burials are better than throwing corpses in a big snowy pit, but you'd be wrong. The difference in hope/discontent is marginal, and you can't sign Organ Transplants unless you have a snow pit. Organ Transplants is a big global bonus to recovery time of all patients and has no downsides, it's a big juicy reward for eating the tiny hope/discontent penalty when you signed the snow pit law.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 1, 2023

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

You might think that ceremonial burials are better than throwing corpses in a big snowy pit, but you'd be wrong. The difference in hope/discontent is marginal, and you can't sign Organ Transplants unless you have a snow pit. Organ Transplants is a big global bonus to recovery time of all patients and has no downsides, it's a big juicy reward for eating the tiny hope/discontent penalty when you signed the snow pit law.

Also, you don't actually have to have any corpses in the Snow Pit to get the bonus from Organ Transplant! I guess the treath of being tossed in the pit is enough for people to sign up as organ donors?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never chose Snow Pit because I always assumed that the thing that would follow would be cannibalism and I wanted no part of that. That'd definitely be something that the endgame narration would complain about. I only ever saw them in the On the Edge scenario.
I think that Frostpunk still remains the best in its little genre of narrative crisis management games, but I'm not really sure I have high expectations for the sequel. I think the developers' penchant for making the game about hard moral choices may lead them some dumb places if they're also planning on going weirder places with the setting.

A lot of the game's strength is in the smaller scale scenarios, both keeping the scenarios shorter and allowing the game to have big intense day by day challenges. I don't think their premise of expanding things will work out.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Your first Emergency Shift is basically a freebie - it's worth slamming it on a fully-occupied workshop as soon as you get one built. Scouts are the most effective way to acquire resources in the early game, and you can prioritize getting a scout beacon built by basically building a workshop on the first day and running Emergency Shift on it as soon as it's done. After using that "freebie", though, emergency shift has a good chance of getting people killed, so I never use it after that.
Your second Emergency Shift is a guaranteed death but you can use it safely after that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I have tried to get the cannibalism law several times but it's actually incredibly hard to do. By the time things get so desperate you need it discontent is so high it prevents you signing it and then everyone starves. No idea how you'd naturally end up with it in a game without doing some really careful systems manipulation to engineer it perfectly.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never chose Snow Pit because I always assumed that the thing that would follow would be cannibalism and I wanted no part of that. That'd definitely be something that the endgame narration would complain about. I only ever saw them in the On the Edge scenario.

As far as I know, there is a hidden cannibalism law lurking beyond Snow Pit, but I've never managed to unlock it. As TP said, if you're so far gone you're probably gonna lose the game in the next few rounds anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I would imagine that the difficulty in unlocking Cannibalism is intentional since there isn't really a path towards victory for a stable society once you start eating all the dead. It's more of a "go ahead, seal your fate" button

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Much like Utilize the Dead or Alternative Food Source’s useful but not critical boost to food, Organ Transplants are a “nice to have” in my opinion, particularly if you already are prioritizing health infrastructure and avoiding deaths. By the time I get around to signing a burial law, it doesn’t really matter much. Either sick people are getting into Infirmaries, or they’re not. On the other hand, a Cemetery can be a useful shot of Hope that can tip the balance on a quest if I need it.

The math here comes down to the relative efficiency impact: A 20% boost is great, but that’s the same as a Shrine/Agitator and only a third that of Extra Rations. An Infirmary can be operating at north of 195% efficiency without Organ Transplants - what’s another 20% on top of that?

That being said, much like Soup v Sawdust it’s a perennial debate over which is better in what circumstance.

https://frostpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Food_Additives_and_Soup_Comparison

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 1, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing about organ transplants is that you don't even need any dead people for it to work. Don't ask where they're getting the organs from.

Fertilizer does need corpses though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Fertilizer does need corpses though.

They tried using all the human waste they have on hand but they realized that poopsickles would just kill the potatoes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
New in game trailer for Frostpunk 2 dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88rlDT57OY

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah! Another HUGE tip!!! Scout teams move twice as fast when heading to a location that has already been scouted. So if you're sending them way out to scout a new spot and there's a spot that has already been scouted roughly in between, send them to the scouted place first, it will save a ton of time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kaal posted:

Much like Utilize the Dead or Alternative Food Source’s useful but not critical boost to food, Organ Transplants are a “nice to have” in my opinion, particularly if you already are prioritizing health infrastructure and avoiding deaths. By the time I get around to signing a burial law, it doesn’t really matter much. Either sick people are getting into Infirmaries, or they’re not. On the other hand, a Cemetery can be a useful shot of Hope that can tip the balance on a quest if I need it.

The math here comes down to the relative efficiency impact: A 20% boost is great, but that’s the same as a Shrine/Agitator and only a third that of Extra Rations. An Infirmary can be operating at north of 195% efficiency without Organ Transplants - what’s another 20% on top of that?

That being said, much like Soup v Sawdust it’s a perennial debate over which is better in what circumstance.

https://frostpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Food_Additives_and_Soup_Comparison

20% is smaller than the sum of all of the other medical bonuses in the game, but that's not really a fair comparison. Most of the individual bonuses are only 10% or 15% and some of them are buried deep in the tech tree. You can easily have organ transplants in your first week, and the bonus is permanent. So while +95% is something you can achieve by the late game, that +20% is an incredible boost during the early game, where you may be normally operating at +0% (or worse)

It's also a global permanent bonus, and I think that's why it's so great on the hardest difficulty. When you've got 4 medical posts that are often full, with Overcrowding enabled, that 20% bonus represents a massive amount of work time over the course of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It’s all about trade-offs, certainly. Using two early laws to get 20% med efficiency doesn’t really fit into my plan on survivor, but I’m glad it works for you.