Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does this thread have a consensus on which dlc is worth getting? I loved This War of Mine, but thought this game was only ok. I finished all of the scenarios (I think there were only two or three when it came out?) and haven't played it since. I could play new maps maybe but don't care enough to replay the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They're all good

The Rifts just adds a new map type to Endless mode, so if you don't want to play Endless mode then you can skip this. The Rifts map itself is pretty cool though

The Last Autumn is a completely different game mode from everything else, the experience is very different from the base game. It's really good but very different

On The Edge is serves as an epilogue, taking place after The Great Storm at the end of A New Home. It's also very good, much more similar to the base game but with a lot of additional mechanics to spice things up

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I thought The Rifts wasn't worth getting, just a mildly different survival map and survival isn't too interesting. Last Autumn is great, its a fun different scenario with a lot of new mechanics. On The Edge is too simple and not very interesting. It was a disappointment after what it got hyped up to be.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I was disappointed because it was hyped up as "Project [Acronym]" that would let you find out what had gone wrong with the climate (and maybe fix it???), but they completely pivoted away from that entirely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Last Autumn is really good and definitely worth it. Haven't tried On the Edge yet.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Last Autumn is good. On the Edge was disappointing, because they hyped it up as this secret project exploring the world after the storm, and then it's just the base game with a tacked-on trading and diplomacy system. The Rifts is just an obnoxious Endless map.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Idk why but I find the last autumn just brutally hard, especially trying to do it without using the really harsh laws and/or getting half my guys killed. I find it borderline impossible to keep safety levels manageable, and the ventilation plants eat up coal which is quite limited before you unlock charcoal kilns (by which time the gas is no longer an issue). It's also super easy for a run to collapse at the last hurdle once the sea freezes and you can no longer order supplies or use fishing docks. Once you know what to expect you can plan around it but on my first attempt I remember being completely screwed because I'd exhausted all the hunting food sources first, and it's also very easy to get caught by the cold having already stripped most of the trees from your site. You also really really need to get steel imported from the off because you need piles of it and there's no local source.

I loved TLA but it didn't feel particularly fair blind, and it's easy to get blindsided by everything going wrong then get fired because you missed a deadline by an hour.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I much preferred the scenario where you rebuild the exploded generator. You don't have intermediate deadlines, just the upcoming storm that will wipe you out if you don't have it online by that point.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Frostpunk is free on the Epic Store for the next 5 days if you have somehow missed this gem that is totally still worth your money (but it's free!)!
:homebrew:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
New frostpunk on the cards???

https://youtu.be/5tu3O4lh-sY

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfHUN4gFiw

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Will be interesting to see if they do something new with the concept, or if it's just a variation of the original like Last Autumn.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

From Steam

quote:

Frostpunk 2 is the sequel to the highly acclaimed, BAFTA-nominated society survival game that blended city building, strategy and management gameplay, creating a brand new genre. Its successor takes place 30 years after the apocalyptic blizzard storm, and Earth is still overwhelmed by the icy climate of neverending frost and harsh weather.

You play as the leader of a resource-hungry metropolis where the expansion and search for new sources of power is an unavoidable reality. After the age of coal, conquering Frostland for the oil extraction industry is expected to be the new salvation of what’s left of humanity. However, change does not come easily, and not everyone in this new multi-layered society will welcome this new direction.

Demands and expectations of various factions will raise tensions and evoke conflicts, but will a cold-blooded rule and a Machiavellian approach to politics be necessary? As the everlasting cold continues its grip on the city and outside threats arise, you’ll need to make sure your people are united, driven, and ready for difficult, unavoidable sacrifices!

Jakub Stokalski, Frostpunk 2 Co-Director, had this to say about the grand vision of the game:

“What we aim to deliver to players is an experience that goes vastly beyond that of the original Frostpunk. With a still-growing team of nearly 70 people, we have more manpower available to focus on all aspects of the game from the scale, the production value, and the quality of UX, but our ambition is to do more than a straight-up sequel. What players should expect is a wide universe of choices, the freedom to shape the society and the city however they see fit - and reap the consequences. Frostpunk 2 builds on the conflicts of its predecessor - survival vs human values, life vs the arctic frost. But most importantly, it adds a new layer that is present in many aspects of the game - be it politics, society or technological progress - the conflict between humans and their nature".

Also a predictable Steam sale on Frostpunk 1 and dlc.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 14, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Even if it was just the same game with new scenarios I'd play the poo poo out of it tbh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd like some UI and QOL improvements, maybe some design changes like being able to modify or repeal laws, oh and modding tools of course.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
0 real details = 0 hype. I will keep my ears on for news, but man am I sick of people expecting me to buy in to whatever they’re peddling based on a 90 second video that says exactly nothing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coolguye posted:

0 real details = 0 hype. I will keep my ears on for news, but man am I sick of people expecting me to buy in to whatever they’re peddling based on a 90 second video that says exactly nothing.

Yeah how I feel. I mean I'm glad they announced their product but...the fact that there's literally zero in game screenshots screams to me that they started actual serious development a few months ago and literally have nothing to show. Like anything they do have is like version 0.5 of any in-game models and so forth while mechanics are wildly changing day by day as they hammer it out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it's nice to have an announcement trailer but I can't really get hyped about a sequel yet either, and I loved the first game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I mean I’ll take the opposite tack: why even announce it if you don’t have anything to say?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Coolguye posted:

I mean I’ll take the opposite tack: why even announce it if you don’t have anything to say?
Given that the announcement trailer tells you to add it to wishlist on steam, I'm guessing they're doing the not uncommon indie/small studio routine of pointing to their wishlist numbers for additional funding during development.
They can go to investors and say, Hey X many people are already excited for this game! Give us some more cash please.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah it's basically a marketing thing. And likely a good way to drum up some extra sales/revenue when people who played and enjoyed Frostpunk the First mention it to their friends who then check it out and see the original game is on sale.

Even (especially) indy developers have to keep the lights on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Assuming that Mr. Mustache in the video is the same mayor figure that was in the original game's trailers (who is looking pretty good for getting charbroiled), I wonder if they are going to start putting harder penalties on negative events more than just discord or hope hits. Once you got the number game down in the original you could pull off some pretty unpleasant stuff so long as you opened chuch or a fighting pit right after to counterbalance the hit. Perhaps losing the right to perform some actions if you don't fulfill needs?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I mean, I liked the first one I'm happy to know we're getting more. I mean yeah, the announcement didn't tell us anything but no announcement ever has lol.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, cool, you can add other settlements from On The Edge into Endless Modes now. while your city is still meant to be mostly self-sustaining getting in good with the other settlements helps out.

And there's a version of Endless Mode which is basically The Last Autumn except you're already in winter so you have to rebuild the destroyed generator. Oops. (Last Autumn's laws are pretty neat because instead of being Order or Faith, it's "do you favor the working class or the engineers"). I went Labor this time around and the morning bell to work became the sound of a guy clanging on a pot. Very dignified. Hah.

Labor laws in general seem to boost motivation which when maxed out make everything 30% more productive. That's worth whatever downsides there are. One of the final Labor laws lets anyone fill any job regardless of qualifications which means you can put regular workers in Engineer jobs. they take an efficiency penalty but who cares when my worker morale is through the loving roof.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 20, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really liked the first one too but couldn't get into the expansions. Is Last Autumn any good?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

I really liked the first one too but couldn't get into the expansions. Is Last Autumn any good?

I liked it quite a lot, they put a lot of work into giving it a different feel even though many of the core systems are still there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Definitely. You're racing against the clock in a different way. Temperature variance isn't a thing (yet) but you have to worry about toxic gasses that make the workplace more or less dangerous day by day. The dudes who sent you to build the generator are keeping a timetable on you and expect you to have it all done by a certain period of time, and the social mechanics are different than in the base game (labor relations, possibility of strikes, etc).

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Regarding The Last Autumn, resource management is somewhat more important as the gathering system is a bit different. There's a few scattered wood/steel/steam core piles around the center to get you started like in the other scenarios, and some (unfrozen) woods in your build site for sawmills, but there are no unlimited sites for gathering anything (mines, coal thumpers, wall drills, ect.). There are a couple of big coal piles kind of hidden in the back that you use later, don't miss those.

What there is instead are four areas to build docks (your site boarders some water). Docks can create wood, steel, or coal piles that need to be gathered, using either regular gathering posts build adjacent to the dock or a bespoke add-on to the dock building itself. There is also a fishing dock option for gathering raw food.

Then, about 2/3rds of the way through the scenario, the water freezes and you have no more delivery options. You have to subsist for about 8 days with no more gathering of resources, with constantly dropping temperatures and very basic heating infrastructure (tents only - you can't even turn on the generator if you've finished it).

I didn't have enough food my recent hard run, and everyone starved to death after finishing the generator but before the rescue ship landed. Discontent was too high to sign the cannibalism law.

So overall a great Frostpunk experience. I'd rank it better than On the Edge and the Endless modes, not quite as good as Fall of Winterhome.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah Last Autumn was really fun, a good semi-subversion of mechanics and interesting story dynamic.

I wish the other DLC was that good.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the reviews, ill give it a shot. The base game pulled me in more than any other game that year and I'm looking forward to what they do with 2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I do also like The Last Autumn for the idea that there's a reason why people would get pissed off at you and try to throw you out, since it's not even clear at the start that the world is freezing. In the main game it's easy to get lost in the "I'm sorry we had white doilies rather than cream colored, we are collectively about to literally freeze to death", but in LA there's the question of "is this even happening or are these bourgeois shits just working us to death for no reason"

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
It also had an excellent announcement trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZWCvNa_a4M

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, that's the thing in Last Autumn, most of these idiots think they're going to have a home to go back to. We don't measure it but there's an unseen large amount of money changing hands, money which will surely become completely value-less once the apocalypse hits.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013
Really enjoyed this game a few years ago, is the stuff they released since then worth playing?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Tektolnes posted:

Really enjoyed this game a few years ago, is the stuff they released since then worth playing?

Yeah - read this page of the thread for reviews of most of it. Fall of Winterhome might be the best scenario in the game, The Last Autumn is good and different, and On the Edge is an okay send off.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Always felt very dumb to me that you can't sign off on extreme laws like cannibalism if discontent is too high because surely that's exactly when you would do that

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Always felt very dumb to me that you can't sign off on extreme laws like cannibalism if discontent is too high because surely that's exactly when you would do that

The game over isn't "everyone dies", though, it's "you did something super controversial when everyone was already pissed off at you so they decided to steam you like a lobster"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The game over isn't "everyone dies", though, it's "you did something super controversial when everyone was already pissed off at you so they decided to steam you like a lobster"

Yeah, so have that happen, don't have a hard lock on the decision.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, so have that happen, don't have a hard lock on the decision.

The game is saying that the mob will flay you alive if you make the decision right then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Friendship ended with coal, now oil is my best friend