Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Internet Explorer posted:

Are they all eating raw food?

doesn't look like it, i dont think any food is consumed until day 3 at least

i dont know if its possible to make literally everyone sick by day 2. i once forgot to build housing and only 12 or so people got sick. maybe if you didn't build any housing at all and never started the generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

symphoniccacophony posted:

Hard to say what the issue is without seeing your city layout, but if your sims are sleeping in the cold, their chance of getting sick increases dramatically. Click on the tents and hover your mouse over the thermometer to check if they are properly heated.

Sleeping *and working* in the cold. In my experiences people are way more likely to get sick on the job than they will at home.

I don't think I have ever had a hunter get sick though, which is funny given that they are the ones trudging across the surface.

That said, 80 sick on day 2 is absurd.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Evil Thing posted:

All around the generator and at "red" heat level, so it shouldn't actually be possible to get sick, yet somehow they managed it. In this particular case I cheated extra building materials because I wanted to see if having houses made any difference, but it clearly didn't. :v:

...I wonder if they're sick because you're cheating? Games have done weird thing with integrity checking before.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only way I've seen to get that many sick that quickly is by loving up heating at nighttime.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sleeping *and working* in the cold. In my experiences people are way more likely to get sick on the job than they will at home.

Only because it's a lot more difficult to heat remote workplaces than clustered homes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Fat rear end engineers don't do anything all day, Imma emergency shift your asses so I can actually see some technology progress you lazy generator-hugging slobs."

(Soon thereafter:) *Engineer dies from overwork*

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

redreader posted:

I find it extremely hard to believe that people finish it on their first try without having watched streams etc. I learned a bunch of stuff in my first two games that was not obvious at all. I'm sure a lot of stuff seems obvious if you've watched gameplay videos and streams, but yeah, anyone who plays this and finishes it first try without knowing anything about it, is a straight up genius.

edit: if you've played and enjoyed 'this war of mine', this has a similar feel. They could add a lot of different scenarios without too much extra work.

In general it worked because by the end I went full evil bastard executing any seditious people or banishing them. When resources ran low I kept people running suicide missions to keep things chugging. So I got to the end on my first run... But it want a happy ending. I haven't done any other missions. Forced Shifts + Executions keeps people in line and the resources flowing.

In regards to how it worked, I played a shitton of Tropic over the years so this games resource stuff was similar.THe only vvideo I saw was the teaser trailer/EA video I saw a few months ago.

If I had to say what this game felt like its a cross of Tropic and Banner Saga.

I would also reccomend building little hubs around steam generators. I had a couple early on as "suburbs" this worked out really great early on and let me carry a ton of human resources into the late game.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 25, 2018

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I don’t think there’s much benefit to child labour. Yeah you goose your start a little but having engineering apprentices seems far more optimal. Rushing tech helped me get ready for everything. I tried to get as many workshops as I could by the end of it.

If you can get infirmaries up and running the healing rate improvements from tech usually resolve any issues from not having medical apprentices.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack2142 posted:

In general it worked because by the end I went full evil bastard executing any seditious people or banishing them. When resources ran low I kept people running suicide missions to keep things chugging. So I got to the end on my first run... But it want a happy ending. I haven't done any other missions. Forced Shifts + Executions keeps people in line and the resources flowing.

In regards to how it worked, I played a shitton of Tropic over the years so this games resource stuff was similar.THe only vvideo I saw was the teaser trailer/EA video I saw a few months ago.

If I had to say what this game felt like its a cross of Tropic and Banner Saga.

I would also reccomend building little hubs around steam generators. I had a couple early on as "suburbs" this worked out really great early on and let me carry a ton of human resources into the late game.

You kind of have to be an evil bastard to win, I think. Which is probably the point of the game, same as it was in TWOM.

I tried to save as many people as I could when they all started trudging into my camp but by the time the big freeze came I was so overpopulated that it became a total nightmare just to feed everyone.

Food is a bastard later in the game. You have to have a full, what, third of your population just chugging out raw meat to feed everyone, and that is with the efficiency upgrades.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
One tip I learned: Some buildings have a larger footprint than others. If you wind up building something that's halfway on a heating zone, it counts.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t think there’s much benefit to child labour. Yeah you goose your start a little but having engineering apprentices seems far more optimal. Rushing tech helped me get ready for everything. I tried to get as many workshops as I could by the end of it.

If you can get infirmaries up and running the healing rate improvements from tech usually resolve any issues from not having medical apprentices.

The big advantage I see in kiddie labor is they can run your greenhouses and cooking needs while workers do other stuff

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You kind of have to be an evil bastard to win, I think. Which is probably the point of the game, same as it was in TWOM.

I tried to save as many people as I could when they all started trudging into my camp but by the time the big freeze came I was so overpopulated that it became a total nightmare just to feed everyone.

Food is a bastard later in the game. You have to have a full, what, third of your population just chugging out raw meat to feed everyone, and that is with the efficiency upgrades.

Its alright might as well have them die in your obedient city because then they don't go to waste in the the frostlands

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I didn't go all the way in the Order tree and took all of the "good" options when presented and I still got a bad "was surviving worth the cost?" type ending.

I really wish there was a pragmatic middle road between the two choices of Order and Religion.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arven posted:

I didn't go all the way in the Order tree and took all of the "good" options when presented and I still got a bad "was surviving worth the cost?" type ending.

I really wish there was a pragmatic middle road between the two choices of Order and Religion.
Really? I wonder what determines that, that sucks. I'm on my first run at like day 30-something and sitting pretty and having done most of the "good" options. I also picked Order because religious fascism isn't any better either, and sounded possibly cooler.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
I just finished my first play of the game, I took Order and didn't cross "the line", which I take it is the good ending.

I started getting ahead of the curve just early enough to stockpile, ran out of food with about 12 hours to go. Looking back I made several inefficient choices like only having one research building, and I suspect it's possible to win without going either order or faith.

The final few days were basically just upgrading heating trying to keep up with the cold, and running the generator right on the limits of overdrive.

The Huge Manatee fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 25, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

One thing I almost wish was you can across Winterhome or Tesla City before they went to poo poo, and then watch one or the other collapse in the face of the impending storm or go full religious/fascist and start squabbling with your guys as the doom approaches.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Jack2142 posted:

One thing I almost wish was you can across Winterhome or Tesla City before they went to poo poo, and then watch one or the other collapse in the face of the impending storm or go full religious/fascist and start squabbling with your guys as the doom approaches.

I have a feeling these might be DLC. Or at least, I hope so.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

drunkill posted:

I have a feeling these might be DLC. Or at least, I hope so.

They tease a snobs vs slobs fight in the Refugee scenario, until they finally get to you and you discover they're various combinations of starving, sick, orphan children.

The final challenge ends up being stopping your people from lynching them.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Just finished the Ark scenario and it was easy, but a lot of fun. It really makes you appreciate how awesome automatons are and my next normal playthrough I will definitely be maxing out scouts as quickly as I can to get as many steam cores as I can asap.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Arven posted:

Just finished the Ark scenario and it was easy, but a lot of fun. It really makes you appreciate how awesome automatons are and my next normal playthrough I will definitely be maxing out scouts as quickly as I can to get as many steam cores as I can asap.

Same, also you can get a happy ending :3:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Most of the good options seem uh, significantly better.

Child Labor opens up kids working in two buildings that never need to be fully staffed, followed by working out in the field around the same time you run out of stuff to get from the field. Meanwhile child shelters immediately opens up child apprentices, which seems kind of broken! I chose Engineer Apprentices, and my research rates stayed at 100%, but my average time for research went from 7h to 2h. I basically had the full research tree unlocked well before I hit midgame. Also every 3-4 days I'd get a popup saying people were ecstatic their children were learning, and got a Hope bump. That let me do some really awful poo poo later while remaining at max Hope because people were just so happy about their kids.

I think Soup is basically essential upfront, because Hunting Huts just don't bring in enough/cost so much. Despite saying it gave a negative modifier, it never did for me. That was kind of baffling.

The tutorial being awful was basically the only reason I had to restart. No explanation of streets until I had already built unconnected buildings ( by which point connecting everything to streets would have been a nightmare. ), the Food/Tech tutorials happening on day 2-3, etc.

By the time you'd get cannibalism rolling you should already have set up food sources that'd be better for you. Meanwhile cemeteries again gave me Hope bumps every time someone went to see a gravesite.

I basically coasted the entire game off the Hope bumps I got for being good early. I had people working 14 hour shifts off soup ( it's the apocalypse, come the gently caress on, no you don't get 8 hour workdays. ) and often in the cold to set poo poo up, but they'd only grumble a bit before praising me for letting them visit graves/kids learning/people are kept in hospice care.

Ending was bullshit. I got a "was it worth it what you did." when the only bad thing I ever did was push 14 hour work shifts and made them eat soup. I never chose any of the fascism options of Order, just the Neighborhood Watch stuff. Was really baffling to get basically browbeat over the horrors of soup. I had basically no deaths during the final cold snap either, and ended with plenty of food/coal.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone else noticed that you can't really move around in the 'laws selection' screen? If you're on a law in the bottom and want to see a law near the top, the only way to get to the top is to click on a law near the top, which re-centers the screen so you can then probably click on the law near the top. I've tried wasd, and dragging the screen around. Neither work.

Also, ARE you supposed to move people to and from the hunters hut at dawn / 5:45 pm? or if you do that, do the people sleep instead of working?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Rookersh posted:

Most of the good options seem uh, significantly better.

Child Labor opens up kids working in two buildings that never need to be fully staffed, followed by working out in the field around the same time you run out of stuff to get from the field. Meanwhile child shelters immediately opens up child apprentices, which seems kind of broken! I chose Engineer Apprentices, and my research rates stayed at 100%, but my average time for research went from 7h to 2h. I basically had the full research tree unlocked well before I hit midgame. Also every 3-4 days I'd get a popup saying people were ecstatic their children were learning, and got a Hope bump. That let me do some really awful poo poo later while remaining at max Hope because people were just so happy about their kids.

I think Soup is basically essential upfront, because Hunting Huts just don't bring in enough/cost so much. Despite saying it gave a negative modifier, it never did for me. That was kind of baffling.

The tutorial being awful was basically the only reason I had to restart. No explanation of streets until I had already built unconnected buildings ( by which point connecting everything to streets would have been a nightmare. ), the Food/Tech tutorials happening on day 2-3, etc.

By the time you'd get cannibalism rolling you should already have set up food sources that'd be better for you. Meanwhile cemeteries again gave me Hope bumps every time someone went to see a gravesite.

I basically coasted the entire game off the Hope bumps I got for being good early. I had people working 14 hour shifts off soup ( it's the apocalypse, come the gently caress on, no you don't get 8 hour workdays. ) and often in the cold to set poo poo up, but they'd only grumble a bit before praising me for letting them visit graves/kids learning/people are kept in hospice care.

Ending was bullshit. I got a "was it worth it what you did." when the only bad thing I ever did was push 14 hour work shifts and made them eat soup. I never chose any of the fascism options of Order, just the Neighborhood Watch stuff. Was really baffling to get basically browbeat over the horrors of soup. I had basically no deaths during the final cold snap either, and ended with plenty of food/coal.

Soup loving sucks.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

redreader posted:

Has anyone else noticed that you can't really move around in the 'laws selection' screen? If you're on a law in the bottom and want to see a law near the top, the only way to get to the top is to click on a law near the top, which re-centers the screen so you can then probably click on the law near the top. I've tried wasd, and dragging the screen around. Neither work.

Also, ARE you supposed to move people to and from the hunters hut at dawn / 5:45 pm? or if you do that, do the people sleep instead of working?

Right click and drag. Took me a while to figure out, too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rookersh posted:

The Neighborhood Watch stuff (Faith Keepers?) is actually pretty fascist. I haven't played the game, but in the Let's Play I watched, the guy was expecting them, yeah, to be a generally benevolent sort of local watchmen, but the way they're described it's more like the religious police who crack down on people who show dissent. There was an option for Religious Denunciations that sounded vaguely good too, but in practice it turns into USSR-style informing on your neighbors. I think the final option in the Faith tree was to actually banish or kill anyone who wasn't a true believer, and the one right before that was to essentially name yourself the prophet of the new icy religion.

Does anyone know if there were any major differences between the review build and the final build, at least as far as the initial campaign goes? I hate actually playing city-builder games, but the world of Frostpunk is ridiculously interesting to me, and I want to get as much of the story as I can through LP, at least. I was disappointed that they never found out what caused the snowpocalypse in the playthrough I watched, but the guy turned away all three big groups of refugees at the end and had his scouts attack and kill the last group of Americans that were found with Tesla's body, so I wonder if there were any story beats that he missed because of that. It also looks like there were a ton of new scouting locations that only opened up in the last week of the game, and he didn't have time to get to them all before the storm hit. More story stuff?

Also, what the hell is wrong with soup? I love soup. When it's 40 degrees below freezing, I can't think of anything I'd rather eat besides a nice hot bowl of soup. It's filling, it warms you up, and you can put basically anything into the pot so it'll taste different every single day. Even dead bodies.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 25, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Soup loving sucks.

Whoa, I didn't know Cohen the Barbarian had a forums account.

simmering
Nov 12, 2017
nvm got it working.

I wish there was more variety to the laws like with tropico. like in the faith branch you could institute animal sacrifice which use raw food in exchange for hope or smth.

simmering fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 25, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like the main scenario is way too easy for what it is supposed to be. There are some dramatic pitfalls early but once I got to tier 3 things just coasted on for me. Some things I'm not even sure why you would ever use (like what is the point of charcoal) and food becomes non-factor past hot houses. The final week was just kinda meh, not a single person died despite almost a 100 being hospitalized before the end. I had a total of one person die through the entire play-through from non-event reasons. :raise:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

One tip I learned: Some buildings have a larger footprint than others. If you wind up building something that's halfway on a heating zone, it counts.

You can know for sure - if the building will be warmed, the steam hub will light up when you're placing it. Same with being affected by other radius things like the fighting pit or other law-unlocked buildings.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like the main scenario is way too easy for what it is supposed to be. There are some dramatic pitfalls early but once I got to tier 3 things just coasted on for me. Some things I'm not even sure why you would ever use (like what is the point of charcoal) and food becomes non-factor past hot houses. The final week was just kinda meh, not a single person died despite almost a 100 being hospitalized before the end. I had a total of one person die through the entire play-through from non-event reasons. :raise:

I completely ignored coal mining until the storm rolled in, mining trees out of the wall and turning them into coal, along with a coal outpost, let me skip the entirety of the mining tech tree and slam out automatons.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Phenotype posted:

Also, what the hell is wrong with soup? I love soup. When it's 40 degrees below freezing, I can't think of anything I'd rather eat besides a nice hot bowl of soup. It's filling, it warms you up, and you can put basically anything into the pot so it'll taste different every single day. Even dead bodies.

I think the idea is that soup is how you stretch out an already meager supply of food. So it's probably a thin, watery soup.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

competing and some sort of conflict/trade with other cities would own

too bad my computer is poo poo and can barely play this beyond like day 16 :(

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Beat the first scenario, accepted every refugee and rescued everyone, 1 death really early on that I think gets triggered to unlock the burial event, because it didn't count against the no-deaths achievement. 12k coal and 12k rations, 650+ people, good ending.

Love this game, but I'm definitely playing on Hard from now on. Normal seems balanced for people going in blind, I was way too prepared after watching LPs.

Faith is surprisingly chill as long as you don't start religious police or informants. I like that it's a new religion, you get to imagine what it would be and how your laws would inform it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think the idea is that soup is how you stretch out an already meager supply of food. So it's probably a thin, watery soup.

Yeah I'm pretty sure 'Soup' is actually Hot Ham Water. Now, if another option was to get yourself a stew going...

Enjoying game a lot so far, at any rate! I got an automaton called The Mark II Islander and he's extremely cute and works hard. :kimchi:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Huge Manatee posted:

I completely ignored coal mining until the storm rolled in, mining trees out of the wall and turning them into coal, along with a coal outpost, let me skip the entirety of the mining tech tree and slam out automatons.
Is that actually anymore efficient than just using the Coal Washer with Gathering Post?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure 'Soup' is actually Hot Ham Water. Now, if another option was to get yourself a stew going...

It can't be that bad, can it? 2 raw food makes 4 rations or 5 bowls of soup, so you're still getting 80% of what you'd be getting otherwise. I think people are just whiners.

Cheston posted:

Beat the first scenario, accepted every refugee and rescued everyone, 1 death really early on that I think gets triggered to unlock the burial event, because it didn't count against the no-deaths achievement. 12k coal and 12k rations, 650+ people, good ending.

Did the refugee groups give you any information or scouting spots or anything? Why did the freeze happen??

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Phenotype posted:

It can't be that bad, can it? 2 raw food makes 4 rations or 5 bowls of soup, so you're still getting 80% of what you'd be getting otherwise. I think people are just whiners.

Did the refugee groups give you any information or scouting spots or anything? Why did the freeze happen??

I helped all of them and I don't think so, you get bonus technologies from searching the camps etc. with scouts, the loading screens make it sound like it was a massive event that filled the atmosphere with ash, so infer whatever you want from that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Beat the first scenario on my third attempt. I didn't stockpile anywhere near enough food, didn't have enough hospital capacity, and while I had vast quantities of coal coming out of every orifice, I didn't have the generator upgraded enough to make full use of it. Over half the city's population died, and I was forced to implement the New Order and go full fascist in order hold things together up to the end, but we made it.

It's a testament to how good this game is that I want to immediately try the scenario again to see if I can do better.

e: also, with regards to what caused the apocalypse, I haven't found any explicit confirmation but from the story bits I've found so far it's strongly implied to have been a large asteroid strike.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

First attempt just ended in failure as my population to me to :fuckoff:

Game good, play game.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm curious as to where the generator actually is. "North of London" is what's described, but they also said they traveled for weeks.

I wonder if they went so far north, it's south again? Somewhere in Canada / Alaska / US? Presumably all the Arctic Ocean would be frozen.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder what the trigger is for the good ending. Is it total deaths? Or which laws you went for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm curious as to where the generator actually is. "North of London" is what's described, but they also said they traveled for weeks.

I wonder if they went so far north, it's south again? Somewhere in Canada / Alaska / US? Presumably all the Arctic Ocean would be frozen.

they probably just made up a fictional location, but the best IRL fit for 'heavily glaciated far-northern coastal region with extremely rich natural resources' would have to be Greenland, which isn't straight north from London but is north-ish.

the Ark scenario is heavily based on the real-life Svalbard Seed Vault, which is in far northern Norway, so that's another possible location, but there's far too much land on the world map for that to make sense (the real-life seed vault is on an island)