Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I won on my first try, but probably only because I watched someone on YouTube play it to about day 20. Knowing how to plan your city layout from the start is huge, and having everyone within range of a fighting pit makes dissent a non-issue for most of the game.

For a game trying not to be a city builder and seemingly going out of its way to make you build a sprawling mess, actual city planning matters a hell of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I didn't go all the way in the Order tree and took all of the "good" options when presented and I still got a bad "was surviving worth the cost?" type ending.

I really wish there was a pragmatic middle road between the two choices of Order and Religion.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Just finished the Ark scenario and it was easy, but a lot of fun. It really makes you appreciate how awesome automatons are and my next normal playthrough I will definitely be maxing out scouts as quickly as I can to get as many steam cores as I can asap.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I think it's probably possible to get a good ending by doing the Faith laws and just not implementing the faith police or whatever. I'm doing a play through now where I'm testing it.

Oh and as for what's causing the ice age, I think I've hit every scoutable area now and it implies that there was a huge volcano event, a meteor impact, and the sun itself is dimming.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Korthal posted:

You can rotate buildings with middle mouse button...

WHAT

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Scenario three was entertaining. Pretty funny that you get a "good" ending if you don't accept any of the rich into your city and leave them all to die in the snow, including the children :ussr:

I have to say though, after the first scenario I wasted a lot of resources in the next two that I ultimately shouldn't have preparing for the big cold snap at the end that you don't have to deal with as the scenarios end right as it hits. I would love to play a "normal" scenario using the layouts/starts of the second two scenarios. Hopefully we get some alternate starts soon like in TWOM.

Arven fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 27, 2018

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Gammymajams posted:

I think I'm going to buy either this or Surviving Mars this weekend. How does the replayability/ complexity of each compare, if anyone has played both? I want to get value for money since I think there are more interesting games out right now than I can afford time and money wise. Thanks in advance.

Out of the box, frostpunk is better than surviving mars. I sunk a lot more hours into surviving mars when it came out, but only because playing it takes a really long time- the fastest speed needs to be about 10x faster, and the mod that added the functionality is broken. They are both great games but as typical for Paradox games, surviving mars needs a couple of expansions and content patches before it'll be in its prime.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So given what we know from the Refugee scenario, does that mean that all of the people in the New Home scenario are rich aristocrats that could afford to escape, and that's why they bitch about soup and extended work shifts?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Zoe posted:

Okay starting my first serious playthrough. I wish we could zoom in further, I want to examine my tiny citizens more closely.

Also, I'm not an engineer or anything but I feel like there must be a more effective way to keep the city warm than to build a tower spewing heat into the sky far above all the actual people and buildings that need it...?

I'm under the impression that it doesn't actually radiate heat, but that it provides steam to heat the buildings within range.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait a minute, I've been paging through some guides for the first scenario, and they're recommending not building tents until just before the first temperature shift- how does that work? Every time I've tried to skimp on tents on days 1 & 2 I get a bunch of sick people.

I'm wondering this as well, as I have the same problem.

Everyone recommending hunting over hothouses also doesn't make sense to me, as I swear I have people get sick because they go out to hunt at night. Maybe I am building my hunting lodges too far away and they are getting sick on the walk to work?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The very first event I got after I implemented guards was that one saves a child while on patrol that would have otherwise died. It kind of makes sense to have watchmen. Also, if you are turning groups of survivors away, how exactly would you keep them out without some kind of organized security?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Went back and played A New Home on Hard for the first time. Got The Iron Savior, no deaths due to cold hunger or sickness on hard.

Someone here suggested building gathering posts at the start of the game, and holy poo poo does that make the difference. Gathering posts gather every resource in their radius at once, only need 10 people, and the workers are insulated so don't get sick. When you don't haven that huge influx of sick at the start of the game you can get by on a single medical post for a long time and you'll rarely have anyone waiting for treatment. From there you can snowball like crazy because you get your research done and resource production up faster. Also, props to whoever suggested skipping sawmills and going straight for Wall Drills- I never had to wait for wood after that. I had houses for everyone before I even discovered Winterhome, and by the end I had filled every spare space on the map with resource storage. And I didn't even have to cross the line.

... and now I'm kind of sad because I feel like I've broken the game. I love this setting, and I'd really love a sequel that was basically a This War of Mine reskin/scenario that took place in Winterhome after the generator blew up or something.

Arven fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 12, 2018

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

They're 'hunting' frozen animals or hibernating bears.

Your scouts encounter polar bears during an early event so it's probably this. Logically the wall drill should also produce food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

This is a thing?

I thought the game was entirely a numbers simulation and what you saw on the ground wasn't what was actually happening. Which is why automatons still produce while refueling.

poo poo, that's what I thought too. Otherwise the strategy of switching everyone between gathering posts and hunting lodges at night wouldn't work?