Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Just played through Last Autumn twice, once siding with the workers and once with the engineers. Some quick observations:

* If you've played the regular scenarios, your first instinct on seeing the "Hearty meal vs Gruel" law choice will probably be "wtf is wrong with you we'll never have enough food for that bullshit it's gruel all the way!!". This is wrong. Go with Hearty Meal. You'll eventually have more than enough food, and the motivation bonus is really nice. Also, I ran into a bug where, once people had been eating gruel for a few days they complain and want me to provide decent food. I agree, only to see that I have three days to supply everyone with a Hearty Meal. Yeah, so, the reason I'm in this mess is becaue I choose the other law...

* 24 hour shifts are better than extended shifts, especially once you take the law that halves the night shift crew.

* Docks are good, get them up early. I ran three docks and one fishery on each playthrough. Also, I only realised towards the end of my last playthrough that each upgrade to a dock lets you place an extra reloading station on them.

I think that the Labour laws are a much more interesting split than the Purpouse laws. Siding with the workers will give you a whole bunch of stuff to negate strikes and help with motivation, siding with the engineers gives you stuff to improve safety and work efficiency - both useful and both mutually exclusive. However, I felt that going with the engineers forced you down towards the extreme laws in a way the workers didn't. In order to handle the motivation loss and strikes you more or less have to go with strike breakers and ultimately penal labour. Once you're there, the Panopticon paired with the ability to arrest more workers to turn into convicts just makes sense.

On my first playthrough, I had neglected coal and food production somewhat because hey, it's a balmy +10C out and we're literally hauling fish out of the sea. Then oops, the temperature starts dropping, the sea freezes and the foragers run out of animals to hunt. I was facing the last week with 4 days worth of coal and food. By the end everyone was starving and sick, but we made it. To be honest, I was disappointed when the rescue ships showed up. I was looking forward to an ending where the last survivor from the generator construction watches the refugees from Liverpool approaching across the frozen hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I've never experienced that. As far as I can tell, workers go to the cook house to eat whenever they have opportunity, regardless of whether it is active.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tylana posted:

Also, going to be a while until I can settle in for a proper playthrough, is there stuff early in the first campaign that I should try and keep as a surprise and stop watching over?

I'd say go in blind. Half the fun of a first run of A New Home is the constant "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh, phew, I finally have a handle on this wait no what, oh poo poo oh poo poo"

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Soup increases discontent, while sawdust increases sickness. You're very rarely in a position where more sick are easier to handle than more discontented.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got the Golden Path achievement yesterday. Thought I'd post my strategy here, since some of the online ones seem wrong.
  • New Home scenario
  • No deaths
    No deaths from any source, not even random events or exploration. Required a bit of savescumming to get the RNG on my side when saving the survivors from the polar bear attack. Strangely enough, in all my playthroughs I've never had anyone die while exploring Tesla City.
  • No harsh laws
    No child labour, food replacement, emergency shifts, radical treatment, triage, house of pleasure or dueling. Went with Faith, and only unlocked up to the temple and field kitchens. Houses of Healing has an (as far as I know) unavoidable scripted death event, so had to skip those.
  • No "need" events
    No citizen going without a home longer than 24 hours, no homes left cold longer than 24 hours (except during the storm), no sick left untreated longer than 24 hours, no hungry left unfed longer than 24 hours.
  • Save all survivors
    Find and save everyone in the Frostland. Let in all refugees.
  • Complete pacifism
    Do not take any action towards the Londoners. When playing Faith, do not establish Faith Keepers, even when people demand it.

This achievement was mostly down to knowing which laws and actions were "forbidden", so took a few tries. On my first try I think I hosed up by establishing the Faith Keepers to prevent food thefts - Faith Keepers aren't a "crossed the line" law, and the guides I'd read didn't list it as a "forbidden" law either.

Medium difficulty was a bit too easy, but I don't think I could have managed the early game on harder difficulties without any of the "forbidden" actions. During the storm I had 10 days worth of food and coal, and automatons working everything except healthcare - mostly because I wanted my engineers working 24/7 in those warm, nice infirmaries rather than freezing at home. Having played through New Home a couple of times before helped, since I could prepare for incoming refugees and other events well in advance, and also send out scouts to lurk around near where I knew new exploration points would show up.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, no soup. I know there's a lot of "bad" stuff you can do and still get Golden Path, but I wanted to safe it and also do a completely "good" run.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last Autumn is good. It takes the basic gameplay of Frostpunk and puts a twist on it. The new mechanics are well implemented, and definitely keep you on your toes if you're used to Frostpunk's standard "just survive" mechanics. The new laws are interesting, and the workers/engineers split feels more, I dunno, believable than the faith/order split. I wouldn't say that the workers law path is strictly better, but I'd say that the engineers path - unlike basically any other law path in the game - does demand that you commit 100% to it.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Never forget that Snow Pit allows you to unlock Organ Transplants, giving you a straight 20% bonus on health care even if there are no corpses in the Snow Pit. If you can take the temporary discontent hit and don't expect too many deaths, I'd say Snow Pit is actually superior to Cemetery.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Disagree. Engineers is strictly better if you are doing a low/no law run because the Factory Inspectorate is incredibly powerful for what it does and obviates the need for a fair bit of research and resource expenditure in order to keep work sites on Safe. If you are actually committing to laws then Workers are strictly better because their buttons actually do you good and do not have downsides. Every Engineer button has some sort of stupid downside that fundamentally compromises the button's strategic value, and their big added mechanic of prison labor demands that you make a massively costly strategic pivot right at the time you need to not be getting distracted from your goal.

I said it before and I stand by it: If Last Autumn's overtime mode had you going to the other generators that failed in order to try to slam them out, Engineers would make a lot more sense because convict labor would allow you to spin up and get going so much faster than workers. But as it stands the heaviest lift happens right as convict labor is becoming a thing you can try and it's like bro how about you gently caress off with that I have another 50 steam exchangers to make.
I think that convict labour and Panopticon isn't quite as daunting as it can seem, though I know I almost poo poo myself when going to place the Panopticon for the first time, and it takes up half the loving map!
However, when placing the Panopticon around the generator it actually only takes up the same space as any of the other construction buildings, and all the observation towers just snap into place along the rim of the construction site. Furthermore, a penal colony has a pretty small footprint and houses up to 25 convicts, who do not contribute to discontent, cannot strike and who you can happily leave without heat and healthcare. And when working under the Panopticon, of course, their effectiveness increases with 100%. For me, that pretty handily outweighs the effort of having to pivot to penal labour.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Base game is good. Definitely worth 12 dollars. The Rifts dlc is meh, unless you've already played 100 hours of endless mode and want a new challenge. If you like the base game, Last Autumn offers a neat new take on the mechanics.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I have walked the Golden Path.

Great job! How many tries?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo, I know what I'm playing tonight!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Initial verdict, after 2 hours of play: Well, gently caress me!

You have no access to food other than what you trade for.
You have no control over which laws apply.
You have no generator for heat.
You have a single source of steel and steam cores, and these are also the things you need to trade for food.

First New London cut my daily food supply, and then they withheld it entirely until they got steel shipments. Ten days in, and I have the first deaths of starvation in 100+ hours of playing Frostpunk. This poo poo's gonna be tricky.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, so, having finally finished On the Edge, here's my impression:

If they had released this before Last Autumn, I'd probably have seen it as a cool little twist on the base game. But Last Autumn had gotten my hopes up, and I was expecting something more...well, different. On the Edge is just standard Frostpunk, with a tacked on trading system. At first it seemed like playing a small outpost with no generator and no native food supply would be the big challenge, but the temperature actually never dips that much and the trading system means that your resource management just comes down to ensuring a steady output of steel and steam cores for trade.

As for the "diplomacy" system...eh. The loyalty rating is meaningless until the last 12 hours of ingame time, and to raise it you have to plow ludicrous amounts of resources into improving the infrastructure of your trading partners for marginal trading gains. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure you'd get more in return just straight up trading for food/wood and ignoring everything else.

I finished the scenario, but I really don't feel like going back to try different choices, harder difficulties or achievements. That about says it all, really.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno. I got the achievement, but can't quite remember what I did to get it. Maybe there's a couple of events where the refugees want to gently caress over the lords you've already accepted into the city?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, I've beaten all scenarios on hard, but expert is just a micromanagement nightmare. I can't even imagine enjoying this game on survivor.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last Autumn is good. On the Edge was disappointing, because they hyped it up as this secret project exploring the world after the storm, and then it's just the base game with a tacked-on trading and diplomacy system. The Rifts is just an obnoxious Endless map.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Will be interesting to see if they do something new with the concept, or if it's just a variation of the original like Last Autumn.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
A neat trick I was unaware of going into the game: Each building has a set fotprint, but it will expand or contract slightly to fit with existing roads. So if you build a ring of tents or similar-sized stuff in the generator's inner ring and then build streets out between every second tent, you can now fit three tents in the second ring for every two tents in the inner ring. You basically get space for an extra tent in the second ring and your layout becomes symmetrical and nice.

As for laws, the binary choices are basically always about immediate vs long-term needs. Child labour might be tempting here and now, but in two weeks game time you'll probably have enough adult workers that those kids will just be sitting around doing nothing. The only real trap choice I see is the soup vs sawdust meals law. Soup raises discontent, while sawdust meals raises sickness - and you will never ever be in a position where more sick are easier to handle than more discontent. Soup 4 lyfe.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

You might think that ceremonial burials are better than throwing corpses in a big snowy pit, but you'd be wrong. The difference in hope/discontent is marginal, and you can't sign Organ Transplants unless you have a snow pit. Organ Transplants is a big global bonus to recovery time of all patients and has no downsides, it's a big juicy reward for eating the tiny hope/discontent penalty when you signed the snow pit law.

Also, you don't actually have to have any corpses in the Snow Pit to get the bonus from Organ Transplant! I guess the treath of being tossed in the pit is enough for people to sign up as organ donors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never chose Snow Pit because I always assumed that the thing that would follow would be cannibalism and I wanted no part of that. That'd definitely be something that the endgame narration would complain about. I only ever saw them in the On the Edge scenario.

As far as I know, there is a hidden cannibalism law lurking beyond Snow Pit, but I've never managed to unlock it. As TP said, if you're so far gone you're probably gonna lose the game in the next few rounds anyway.