Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im wondering how much depth there actually is to this game. with all maps ive seen basically taking place in the same circle that removes one of the most major forms of depth in the genre and idk if placement in the circle and the decision system can compensate. i found this war of mine rather shallow and it wasnt really great for replayability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Too bad the game only lasts 45 days with an arbitrary scripted event that keeps you from playing longer.
No sandbox mode either.

i wonder how forced it is, so far i've seen it be worded as a very tough test with unthinkable conditions. maybe a significantly skilled player could survive it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how are you guys managing to get to the wall drill on hard or extreme without the saw mill? i either get it and get hosed by coal, or sort out my coal and run out of wood. which i could probably get in the frostlands, but my luxk has never had me find any fast enough to not immensily slow me down

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the devs said there will be more content coming too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

iirc that's an event you get if you have a Propaganda Center

Faith is a lot kinder to the workers

faith does have the healing house deaths tho, so don't build that one when going for the achievement

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has anyone tried the rifts yet? a random map but with ~bridges~ doesn't really sound worth it to me, but maybe theres more to it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sandweed posted:

Prostrat: 24 hour shift on the docks. I wish I had done this from the start.

24 hour shift everything tbh, its great. no way the other upgrade is worth bothering with

same thing goes for hearty food, you get so much food that there's no reason to go for gruel

does anyone know how to get all the various safety equipment mentioned in the events for the reactor construction? i don't think i got a single one

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Spoilers for people who've played it:
* Yeah, jeez, steel was just the constant pain that I was never able to get far enough out on. Next run I absolutely have to get docks up and running earlier and bigger to get as much of a surplus as I can; being able to throw extra steel into parts that let me complete projects faster seems like a must for keeping ahead of the cold.

* You have 4 dock sites; I think you have to commit two to fishing to keep people fed, which leaves two for resources. I spent a lot of the game with iron and coal coming in, but once I had cut down most of the trees on the site I switched over to iron and wood and built a bunch of charcoal burners to cover my coal needs.

2 docks with a reloader each kept me topped off, shouldnt need more. never upgraded the docks either

i used 3 dock sites for resources, wood turned out to be not needed, nor did i ever need a burner. i only put up a single dock near the endgame, once i harvested all foraging spots. before that just foraging was enough with the fancy food

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Something that will probably make your game a lot easier and isn't intuitive.

You can build multiple docks, you need to build at least two. Those docks can be upgraded, when they get upgraded they start producing 2 piles of resources each. Each of those piles can and should, have a steam-crane built on them. When I figured that out, I never ran out of Steel again. I ran my first dock as wood. Second dock as steel, then switched my wood dock to coal and made two fisherman's docks. I only built a single Advanced Steam-crane, I'm not sure you need the advanced steam cranes at all though.

a non upgraded dock still works hard enough that a single upgraded crane will never empty it, that was enough to always keep me topped up for steel

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought it was disappointingly short, easy and simple. after a single trial run to figure out the new mechanics in the first few days, i went and got both endings without much effort. there's really not much new there in comparison to last autumn. the other settlements come down to resource dumps and the only challenge is just waiting to get enough steel. coal or heat are never an issue and food is only a problem for about 2 days. you get choices with the other settlements but they barely matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I thought The Rifts wasn't worth getting, just a mildly different survival map and survival isn't too interesting. Last Autumn is great, its a fun different scenario with a lot of new mechanics. On The Edge is too simple and not very interesting. It was a disappointment after what it got hyped up to be.