Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think this might be my game of the year.

I didn't quite get it at first - played around on normal trying to be a decent leader. Pretty tricky, but got the hang of it. Managed a zero death golden path run after a few tries. I'm thinking, oh, ok, it's not the easiest thing but you can quite easily avoid doing anything too egregious if you don't gently caress up entirely or get way unlucky, and I only really did the properly crazy stuff to see what happened.

Then I tried survivor. Oh holy poo poo. Ten minutes in and I actually scoff at my computer screen while clicking 'NO gently caress OFF' as people ask me to give kids more rations or a day off for injuring themselves. No no no. The temperature is about to drop and all my adults are hunting and we still don't have enough food so back down the mine with you on a bowl of gruel little Timmy. Oh jesus christ everyone is ill, pack them in like sardines. There is still no food. It's too cold for the cookhouse to function. Everyone's eating raw food and getting ill. Now half the hunters are ill and dying and no one is left to work the mines. The generator is off. Oh my god.

I don't think I've ever had a game capture that feeling of utter desperation like this lol. Best I've done on survivor so far is getting to the last day of the storm with basically everyone but 6 people dead (graveyard full of like 500 corpses lmao)*, all of them starving and freezing, and being executed hours before it passed because not even my executions and captain's words could keep discontent down. Tbf I had it coming. How the hell anyone has the zero death survivor run achievement I have no idea, and that's only on New Home. I don't even want to think about doing it on fall of winterhome.

*I would have loved to see the victory screen with like 2 surviving citizens, both half dead and surrounded by corpses, mind.

e: I've had no luck getting the cannibalism event to pop, which would have helped a lot when we ran out of food. I heard somewhere you need a snow pit over a graveyard for that? Or am I just (un)lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Also I forgot to mention, the music in this is astronomically good. Like, it should win awards good.

Budgie posted:

You need to have a snow pit and be out of food for several days. You'll probably lose over half your people to hunger in this time. This is paradoxically good for your city: the recently dead were contributing a lot to Discontent because they were hungry so that becomes slightly easier to manage for a few days. Then you'll get an event with a choice and sometime after that the ability to make it a law.

If I remember rightly.

Cheers, will give it a go!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Idk why but I find the last autumn just brutally hard, especially trying to do it without using the really harsh laws and/or getting half my guys killed. I find it borderline impossible to keep safety levels manageable, and the ventilation plants eat up coal which is quite limited before you unlock charcoal kilns (by which time the gas is no longer an issue). It's also super easy for a run to collapse at the last hurdle once the sea freezes and you can no longer order supplies or use fishing docks. Once you know what to expect you can plan around it but on my first attempt I remember being completely screwed because I'd exhausted all the hunting food sources first, and it's also very easy to get caught by the cold having already stripped most of the trees from your site. You also really really need to get steel imported from the off because you need piles of it and there's no local source.

I loved TLA but it didn't feel particularly fair blind, and it's easy to get blindsided by everything going wrong then get fired because you missed a deadline by an hour.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

New frostpunk on the cards???

https://youtu.be/5tu3O4lh-sY

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Even if it was just the same game with new scenarios I'd play the poo poo out of it tbh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Always felt very dumb to me that you can't sign off on extreme laws like cannibalism if discontent is too high because surely that's exactly when you would do that

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The game over isn't "everyone dies", though, it's "you did something super controversial when everyone was already pissed off at you so they decided to steam you like a lobster"

Yeah, so have that happen, don't have a hard lock on the decision.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I have tried to get the cannibalism law several times but it's actually incredibly hard to do. By the time things get so desperate you need it discontent is so high it prevents you signing it and then everyone starves. No idea how you'd naturally end up with it in a game without doing some really careful systems manipulation to engineer it perfectly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yes, faith is usually better than order if you're thinking purely in gameplay terms. Faith generally increases hope while order decreases discontent. Discontent though tends to be the result of short term crises and is usually a lot easier to deal with than hope collapsing, which happens over a longer period but is much harder to fix. This can be quite a problem if you're going order especially if you don't want to go full police state.

Try out the winterhome scenario if you really want to see how bad it can get. That thing is brutal even on the normal difficulty. I think trying to do it on survivor mode would be torture.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

If you don't have masses of sick it's worth signing ceremonial burials tbh, it's a small hope boost but there's not much tradeoff.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

20 automatons is frankly insane for your first game but well done.

It's well worth playing the other scenarios - A New Home is pretty much the tutorial. Seedling Arks and Refugees don't add any new mechanics, just act as different challenges to the base game, so are probably a good place to start. The rest mix up the formula to varying extents.

A few thoughts to help you decide which to start with (spoilered in case you want to go in fully blind, but nothing major):

Seedling arks: You start with only a handful of engineers and have to create an automated city with automatons while preventing the ark buildings from freezing. Complications happen. It's fun, especially if you already like automatons, and it's pretty satisfying developing your clockwork city that barely needs heat across 80% of it. The plot is pretty standard stuff but involves a neat choice and, if you're good enough, the opportunity to reject it. Probably the easiest scenario, though, imo.

Refugees: You start with barely anyone and have to just about get things set up, then wave after wave of new arrivals puts insane pressure on your food, healthcare, and housing. Quite challenging especially the first time round. Plot is fun and will make you a Stalinist

Fall of Winterhome: Lol, good luck. You saw what happened to Winterhome. You're in charge of it in the weeks leading up to that. You start after a riot that burned half the city down, leaving a bunch of it in ruins. Your predecessor was a clown who designed the city in the most rear end backward way. You're not making enough food to feed half your population, most of them are housed in unheated tents, and you have about one medical post. Things only get worse. Bleak plot, and by far the hardest scenario by a very large margin. Can be frustrating but definitely worth playing. I literally do not understand how this is even possible on survivor mode

Last autumn: Completely different mechanics to the base game. It doesn't even get cold for like 75% of the scenario. You're building the generator to a strict deadline and dealing with health and safety issues/labour disputes! Way more fun than it sounds, especially if you abandon any effort to stay sane and fully explore the top end of the tree of laws. My only criticism was that certain events fire on set milestones and can require you to meet certain conditions to avoid disaster, which can feel unfair your first time round (though very easy to plan for on subsequent attempts). Probably my favourite scenario. Can be a little frustrating but the new mechanics are refreshing and the tone is just 10/10.

On the edge: No generator for you. Interesting initial idea, being an outpost team, and it's fun trying to adapt to relying on braziers and heaters. Plot is very meh, imho, and doesn't really do anything interesting (seriously go watch the trailer for this when you're done and compare it to the actual game, lol). There are a few additional mechanics like supply lines and settlement diplomacy which are kinda cool but feel unnecessary, underdeveloped, and a bit tacked on. A little disappointing overall.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 12, 2023

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I'm almost 100% sure that the communist utopia route being 10x easier than the fash penal colony one was very deliberate on the part of the devs lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I wouldn't even call it communist or a utopia, it's clear that you're still a Boss who is at odds with the union. It felt like they wanted to emphasize safety, which reduces productivity in just a few workplaces, but that can make them happy enough for an even bigger and global productivity bonus.

They may have been trying to do a Snobs vs Slobs thing but it just doesn't work out well because most of the important jobs can't accept engineers; maybe it'd be better if Convicts showed up earlier in the decisions

Yeah I guess, though I was a little miffed when the ending slides said I 'manipulated' to succeed. No I didn't, I was fully on board with the worker revolution. Also a bit nitpicky because, you know, I want the game to happen, but once the red terror is in full swing you wonder how you, as the overseer, don't end up in front of a firing squad.

You can put engineers in unskilled jobs iirc with one of the labour laws - I think it was abolition of privileges, the same one that lets you put workers in normally engineer only ones. It's kinda funny but generally not worth doing from a pure gameplay perspective because your engineers are generally better at the jobs they're used to and it's silly to waste those skills. It's nice being able to have workers fully staff your workshops etc though, and I think there are a few beneficial events that can fire doing so. Keep your standard workers away from your healthcare though unless you're really desperate, because as I found out to my cost on my first playthrough having unskilled labourers responsible for doing surgeries can have some predictable consequences!

QuarkJets posted:

My generator had a funny bug - I turned it on, and the level 1 range went out to the normal distance, but the game doesn't allow building anything within that area. Steam hubs still worked though

Yeah, that's not a bug. You'd think you'd be able to reallocate the generator construction area to normal once it's completed, but you can't, so the innermost ring is always unusable. It seems silly so it's probably just an oversight they never bothered fixing.

It's also pretty dumb that you don't get any of the construction specific laws in endless. It's virtually impossible to build the generator without all of the worksites being deathtraps, which is a fun challenge, but eh.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 5, 2024

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Please don't mention Ixion, remembering trying to play that gives me stress headaches. I don't think it's a bad game, but if you think Frostpunk is hard that thing is laughing at you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

What makes you think they're ditching a bunch of the worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Imagine a demo of Frostpunk 1 being 100 days of the default Endless scenario.
It'd be neat, but shallow, and with little to no story or flavour.

I'm convinced that the real meat of Frostpunk 2 is going to be in the story mode. Just like the first game.

Yeah they're absolutely not going to spoil much lore-wise in the beta.