Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m sure it’s too early to get a good answer, but my question is how the campaign feels, and how much replayability it has.

I’m much more partial to endless builds, things that I can make sustainable and manage efficiency. This doesn’t seem to be that, which is fine, but I hope that the campaign lasts a long while and there’s reason to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is definitely more a survival game than a city builder. It isn't as bad as This War of Mine, but you are constantly fighting bad weather and overpopulation. You really have to pay attention to make sure that all your resources are used effectively.

It would become trivially easy after a bit if it was just endless since there are infinite resources on the map, but still.

The harder scenarios are going to be the meat of the game imo. There are a lot of techs you just can't get to in time unless you beeline for them, so scenarios will assuredly direct you to them.

Have you played Oxygen Not Included? Just wondering how it stacks up against that in terms of like, flow and relative “okay this is stable, but only until x resource runs out or population increases”.

I’m going to buy and probably enjoy Frostpunk, but I’m trying to gauge whether or not it’ll be a sort of one and done playthrough or if I’ll stick with it a long time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

in regards to endless scenario people:

that is not what this game is, sorry for killing your cities 2 in frost autism boner

Playing it, I don’t *hate* that it’s got a clear end and it doesn’t detract from the experience they wanted but I guess in this day and age it’s impossible to have any sort of nuanced opinion and it’s either perfect or garbage. The battle lines have been drawn.

It would be really cool to have increasingly complex societies which require increasingly involved supply chains and balances in an endless scenario, but hey the game doesn’t want to do that it’s pretty cool for what it is, so it’s still good?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I won’t go against the grain saying that Frostpunk is the tighter experience and more polished product, to be sure, but it depends on what you’re looking for.

Frostpunk a little bit more tense and survival based. While Surviving Mars has those moments, it’s a bit more self-paced, and a bit more of a city builder instead of survival.

Surviving Mars, for me, has more replayability and “creativity” associated with it. There’s kind of more room, more freedom. Frostpunk is more limited and driven.

Like the other guy said, Surviving Mars probably does need a DLC or two to really shine, but it’s by no means bad now. Again, Frostpunk is definitely the more polished and full experience if you’re buying this weekend.