Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh, I like city-builders but not survival games, and I don't mind steampunk when it's done well (Rise of Legends). Will keep an eye on this, but I hope there's some sort of story to follow instead of just a sandbox. I like having a win condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, this story news has persuaded me to give the game a pass for the time being. I only enjoy a game with that kind of dark, bleak atmosphere if the point is triumphing over it and being rewarded for sticking to your moral guns. Frostpunk seems a little too in love with its post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Bates posted:

it is at least technically possible to be a good guy, you just have to completely ignore a game mechanic (laws) after a certain fairly-early point in the game. Many of the early laws have choices with tradeoffs, and frequently the tradeoff is 'do the more efficient thing or do the morally right thing', but eventually no matter which path you take you will reach a point where the only remaining choices lead you deeper into fascism.

the problem is that things will get really bad, and some of those later fashy laws are extremely powerful (the later Order laws can periodically provide massive Hope bonuses for such low resource costs that they're basically free, for example), so it gets really tempting to bring down the jackboot even though you don't technically have to.

Also, everything I've read says there's no actual good guy ending. The game assumes you're going to do some poo poo and the only question is whether you jump completely off the deep end and in which direction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Game looks pretty, but that's cold comfort to a depressing story and atmosphere. You'd have to be one cold-blooded person to take some of the story options.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, they'd best be careful. Snow blindness is a killer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd prefer At The Mountains of Madness, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

It seems that guys from eastern Europe are excellent at making games with morally grey choices lesser of two evils etc. Not your typical Black/White Good Ending/Bad Ending simple dichotomy that plagues western games.

I am sorry that this game offends some of your western sensibilities.

I cannot wait to build a totalitarian fascist state with secret prisons and secret police in plain cloth patrolling the streets.

I dislike games with overly bleak and dark atmospheres in general. I play video games largely for escapism, and I like playing a good guy.

Frostpunk looks neat, but I'm giving it a pass for that reason.