Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Played it for a couple hours

First off, the beta probably isn't worth playing for its own sake if you're not a fanatic who wants to see how everything's changed. (e: Actually scratch that, the demo lets you preorder risk-free since you can just refund it if you play it this week and hate it, right?) It's just a sandbox scenario with a tutorial. You can get a sense for the final scope of the game, however, from the greyed-out main menu options.

It's very frostpunky, but they really did change a ton. Overall the scale is way bigger. Instead of struggling to get a shanty town up and running inside 30 days you're managing the progress of the civilisation that grew out of some random town from 1. So there's no day/night cycle — time ticks by one day at a time, not one minute. Your population is much bigger and more abstracted. You designate zones for common building types like housing and resource extraction rather than build one thing at a time. You have to play politics with multiple factions to pass laws democratically, so there's no way to just click your choice of law. In fact factions often demand you pass some slate of laws or research they favour in return for their cooperation on one law.

The three-axis ideology system and parliamentary politics sim seem to touch every part of the game. Hard to judge how easy or important it will be to powergame them.

I miss a lot of the micromanagement from 1, but unlike a lot of citybuilder sequels they didn't make it more 'accessible' or whatever, it seems like they just built a new game around what they see as the natural historical outgrowth from the events of 1. It's still very difficult. Maybe more difficult, even, but I can't tell the difference this early between high difficulty and me being bad

Other notes: no obvious bugs or serious performance issues. loving gorgeous, too, of course. My citizens are starving picturesquely. Beautiful soundtrack again. 100% content with my preorder

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I've never seen this done well. I have seen it done poorly - looking at you, Urban Empire - but sadly I don't expect it to be any different from what I've seen of the FP2 beta. It's just trivial to keep all the factions happy, and if you make it hard to do that then you run a very large risk of not being able to sign laws/progress. I'm not sure this kind of feature is even balanceable, but if it is then 11bit hasn't unlocked the code yet.

I found it extremely difficult to keep them all happy lol, I'm just bad I guess

e: a big problem I had was I didn't realise that those those free researches of law options put a timer on passing that law or the faction gets mad at you. I had to break like 5 'commitments' in quick succession because I wasn't micromanaging the research/council timing

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I operate under the mindset that when somebody tells you what they are doing, you should believe them.

calm down bud 11bit studios isn't ron desantis