Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aside from the theme and the crazy radial grid system, this game reminds me a lot of Tropico, only the oppressive dictator bits are there to make you anxious and question your moral compass instead of for laughs.

Although I guess a lot of city builders resemble each other, but this game has the whole courting the populace while enacting edicts and researching new techs to better exploit your limited resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Paradoxically, it's somehow easier to keep your people from starving to death.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It doesn't need to be a scientific reason. It could be some elder god freezing the world by awakening from its slumber.

The Cold Ones.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bold of you to assume that whatever bullshit froze the world didn't break the Earth's core.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You really don't need to build roads very far in advance, only build them up when you're also building up buildings. One trick for early in the game is to even deconstruct some of the initial road around the generator to get some spare wood. If you lay down any roads you don't like, you can deconstruct them later. That's especially relevant for when you're building out to gathering posts or lumber yards, because the resource may get depleted eventually so you can just deconstruct everything when it no longer matters.

Housing definitely should be built close to the generator at first but sometimes when you have a bunch more houses to build and there's not room in the radius of the generator, then usually the move is to build a steam hub to center a new district on. Most any building benefits from being in the generator's radius and having steam hubs warming things up, but other buildings sometimes get their own heating systems so it's less important to get external heating on them. Some buildings like warehouses and hunter's huts don't really have people they need to keep warm so you should probably put them way out of the way so they don't take up any space of your heating systems.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

PSA the sawmill upgrades are a waste of time, get wall drills instead

Coal mines are kind of mid, thumpers are way better. Coal mines are pretty alright still just not great

Steamcores don't grow on trees, and it makes me feel good to fully exploit the on map resources and steadily expand out the treeless perimeter before building over the area and wasting precious wood.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never chose Snow Pit because I always assumed that the thing that would follow would be cannibalism and I wanted no part of that. That'd definitely be something that the endgame narration would complain about. I only ever saw them in the On the Edge scenario.
I think that Frostpunk still remains the best in its little genre of narrative crisis management games, but I'm not really sure I have high expectations for the sequel. I think the developers' penchant for making the game about hard moral choices may lead them some dumb places if they're also planning on going weirder places with the setting.

A lot of the game's strength is in the smaller scale scenarios, both keeping the scenarios shorter and allowing the game to have big intense day by day challenges. I don't think their premise of expanding things will work out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I failed the Arks because my system was doing fine, but I didn't have a big enough stockpile of coal, so when new whatsit asked for it, my ark ended up unheated for just a minute.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really hopeful for the game, since I feel like the first game blazed some new trails for city games, and I feel like the newer features and focus touch on a lot of things that the genre is generally lacking.

There's not been many takes on scaling up a city game so you don't place everything individually, and this looks like something weirder than the Sim City zoning approach. The implication of mechanical megaprojects you still manage are also full of potential.

Politics are part of everything in real-world city building, but they're kind of absent in the game genre, with the main games that do try to address them being fairly anemic in how they effect a lot of the gameplay, so something that tries really hard to make it a major factor instead of minor flavor is going to be interesting at the least, whether or not it's fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would assume that they would greatly customize the political challenge for individual scenarios like they did with the original, but it's definitely possible that the politics could end up trivial and more of just an aesthetic thing to give flavor.

That's kind of how it was in Tropico. It's very hard to be at risk of losing an election unless something crazy has happened, but it is neat to be able to go to the politics screen and see how you can pander to the factions to help direct your play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eh, the majority of the scenarios in the original didn't really put that much explicit weight on your society as the last bastion of civilization out there, even if it's easy to imagine that as a player if you like the gravitas that gives. Not only do most scenarios depict that there are other steam generator cities out there, the game is also kinda muddled at best as to what is happening in the rest of the world. The steam generator colonies were made up north where it was already colder than the rest of the world for some reason, so it seems vaguely plausible that the rest of the world could've put something together.

Why it's important that your city doesn't die is because it's your city and those are your people who you can keep alive. Maybe there's some higher-minded goals for the rest of the world after surviving (especially with the seed vault scenario), but I feel like sheparding your one city is enough.

Strategic Sage posted:

Based on what? Utopia Builder is what they showed the press initially and it's also what is in the beta. It could have been anything, but that's how they chose to introduce the game. Combined with how FP1 post-release development went, I think Endless/Utopia is what they are focusing on. If it's not, they're doing a real good job of hiding their intentions.

Mainly from the fact that the first game is heavily heavily based in scripted scenarios where all the fluff is, and their other games are pretty story and commentary-based, which you can't really do in depth without scripted scenarios. I think this time they've just realized that the people who like these kinds of games want a sandbox mode and releasing without one was a mistake in the original.

If they're really calling the current mode "utopia" then I think that probably means that's the mode without extra loving around.