Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yay! A thread! I’ve been eagerly anticipating this game since December. The wait has been killing me.
Before the release date was announced everyone on the steam forum was crying about how the game was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Bogart posted:

I'm sure there's a win condition but given the studio's previous game, I'm not sure it's a happy one. Plot twist, it's just the Civ science victory. You blast off for places unknown.

The win conditions will be based on the story elements you uncover while scouting the over world to discover what went wrong with the world.

The game is divided into two phases, first it’s all about survival and adaption. Once you got food and resources taken care of the game then asks you what kind of society you’re trying to build.

You can either go big brother and create a police state with armed guards and informants or you can go the faith/hope route and simply create a permissive society where people feel motivated to keep the city going.

Early tech demos showed a limited quantity of coal and wood in the crater. Like the coal deposit for coal mines and the iron deposit for steelworks both have 100,000 units each.

You have “infinite” sources of coal that tie up a bit more of your labour pool.
You can either use a coal thumper which forces a coal pile up to the surface once a day or send convoys through the overworld to setup outposts and an automatic coal mine that will allow you to get coal shipments externally.

You have a similar setup for steel.

After you use up all the trees and crates in your crater you can build a wall drill that will drill the walls for wood to give you an infinite source as well.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

Is there a special reason the game is listed in the Steam store but isn't available for pre-order purchase on it?

From what I’ve gleaned, steam will take a bigger cut of the profits if you pre-order/preload.
Gog doesn’t do this.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Too bad the game only lasts 45 days with an arbitrary scripted event that keeps you from playing longer.
No sandbox mode either.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I don’t think there’s much benefit to child labour. Yeah you goose your start a little but having engineering apprentices seems far more optimal. Rushing tech helped me get ready for everything. I tried to get as many workshops as I could by the end of it.

If you can get infirmaries up and running the healing rate improvements from tech usually resolve any issues from not having medical apprentices.