Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Days are probably abstracted much the same way as sols are in Surviving Mars.
A human lifespan is about 100 sols, wheat can be harvested like once every six sols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

One thing I find that I'm missing is to be able to set the game speed independent of the difficulty like in They Are Billions. Would be nice to be able to stretch the time before the storm hits out a bit, or shorten it to make the game even more frantic.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I went back to A New Home on easy, just to see how absurdly over-prepared I could be.
Made getting steam cores from tesla city and early automatons and advanced coal mines a priority.

A day before the storm hit I had depleted two of the three mine spots, and fired up a few charcoal kilns manned by robots.

When the scenario concluded I had 13000 food stored, and enough coal stored to run my heating at full tilt for 35 days. And even then my coal production was higher than my consumption, and would be till the third mine that had around 5000 coal remaining ran dry.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Don't you need to have explored Winterhome to get to the American expedition though?
Getting a few extra steam cores is great for automating as much as possible of your city during the storm.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The funny thing is that simply banishing people to die of frostbite as you have to do if you have guards but not a prison is seen as completely fair and reasonable.

And in a way I get it. If you put some rear end in a top hat that endangered the very survival of your little colony in prison you still have to feed him. If you banish him, that problem is gone.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

There's also cooks stealing food.
And if you have guards and nothing else in the order tree, and then send the a guard to simply remove londoner graffiti, he at one point get severely beaten.
Pretty sure I'd count assaulting a poor dude just removing graffiti as a crime.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I disagree that the devs present guards as bad in and of itself.
Last game I dipped into Order, Guard Towers, Watch Towers and Morning Gatherings. Nothing else.

I got the good ending saying I hadn't crossed the line, and the guards were presented in a wholly positive light.
Catching a child as he fell after climbing on the generator, the text box saying that yeah, he would've died or been crippled if not for the guards.

Another pop up had a grateful child bring hot soup to a guard tower.

I think the game is doing a fairly good job of saying that the guards are your primary tools if you go full fash. It's how you use them, not the presence of law enforcement to begin with.

For example, there's an event where one of the londoners is standing on a box shouting fear mongering.
You can send guards to shut him up, but you're not forced to, the other choice saying that he has his rights to express his opinion and fears.

Pretty sure there also was a similar event involving a protest that you could either forcibly break up, or peacefully monitor so that nobody gets hurt.

Faith keepers on the other hand seem a lot more shady.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Tormented posted:

I think the game fails only that the fascist policies should be much more enticing forcing you to make a harder choice.
Yeah, the jump from friendly neighbourhood watch that rescues kids climbing on tall stuff to a literal propaganda center is a pretty big leap.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Bogart posted:

Faith keepers are the same thing as the guardsmen, they just wear robes instead. I definitely had a priest beat up for just going around talking to people, but it wasn't until cooks stole some food that I implemented them. I used whipping once to see what it'd do, but the Londoners were withering under the holy weight of my temple anyway, so... You get more people to realize that trekking back home through the frozen hellscape is a bad idea through food than whips, I guess.
Mechanically, yes.

Enforcing religion by force of arms feels a whole lot more shady than a police force to me though.
It's made worse by the fact that there's more positive stuff in the faith tree to begin with.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Someone else said it earlier, but it's probably accounting for windchill.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

realistically with windchill that severe the hydraulics in your robots should be freezing up, (the best antifreezing agents available at the time couldn't even come close to handling those temperatures) but given that they've invented completely autonomous AIs in the 1880s I'm willing to accept that they invented better antifreeze too.
Well, there is an event where your coal mines stop working because the hydraulics in them freeze.

Since the automatons have their own power plant of some kind, that looks almost like a mini generator, you could justify them working to be thanks to routing heat through their limbs and/or heating the oil to point where it doesn't freeze.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Might be less hunting, and more scavenging for animals that froze to death.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I mean I’ll take the opposite tack: why even announce it if you don’t have anything to say?
Given that the announcement trailer tells you to add it to wishlist on steam, I'm guessing they're doing the not uncommon indie/small studio routine of pointing to their wishlist numbers for additional funding during development.
They can go to investors and say, Hey X many people are already excited for this game! Give us some more cash please.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

Other notes: no obvious bugs or serious performance issues. loving gorgeous, too, of course. My citizens are starving picturesquely. Beautiful soundtrack again. 100% content with my preorder
I agree with everything in this post. The game's quite different from the first one, but in a way that makes it feel like like the logical progression from it.
One thing of note is that laws can be repealed (and factions do occasionally push to repeal laws they don't agree with), but research options seem to be permanent once you've reached one of the mutually exclusive flavours of coal mine or w/e

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Imagine a demo of Frostpunk 1 being 100 days of the default Endless scenario.
It'd be neat, but shallow, and with little to no story or flavour.

I'm convinced that the real meat of Frostpunk 2 is going to be in the story mode. Just like the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Frostpunk was a strong story-focused experience, their development time after release was spent releasing 5 additional story modes plus 1 endless mode, so if they released a sequel that focuses on just an endless mode with no story that would be a strange and unexpected result imo
Yeah this.
I suppose it's technically possible that they decide to abandon the strong story focus that was the core of the first game, but that seems extremely stupid and unlikely.