Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Getting the Good End in the refugees scenario had me run head-first into a problem that I genuinely wasn't ready for: running out of space. Sorry, Lord Craven, gonna have to let the mob lynch you because we need to free up a bed for someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Did get a kick out of people getting all upset about a Lord refusing to work in my steampunk communist utopia where the like 80% of my population just watches the fighting pits 24/7. You don't work either, my dude. I cannot build enough jobs for everyone to work. He's fine. It's fine.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Truga posted:

I just finished the refugees game and what I had was a max range upgraded generator with 4 rows of tents around it. That did the trick for beds, then all the infrastructure poo poo that works with heaters was on the outside.

Yeah, building houses in circles all around the generator seems like the best way of doing things in all three scenarios. I keep trying to do things like putting the Cookhouse or a Medical District in there and it just screws up the whole thing.

Also someone needs to have a word with the Cookhouse staff, how the hell is the building where we keep all the fire get cold so easily? Get your poo poo together, cooks.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Groetgaffel posted:

One thing I find that I'm missing is to be able to set the game speed independent of the difficulty like in They Are Billions. Would be nice to be able to stretch the time before the storm hits out a bit, or shorten it to make the game even more frantic.

Definitely. Since they've talked about adding a bunch more content I'll throw out a suggestion into the void: a scenario incredibly similar to the main one, but taking place over a significantly longer timeline would basically be my ideal way of playing this game. I don't think the game would really benefit from a "free play" scenario, but something without such an oppressive time crunch. I get that the time crunch is an important part of making it "I Did What I Had To Do: The Game" but the game's got a save and load feature, might as well make a scenario that lasts long enough to need it.

precision posted:

I could have sworn this was in early access just a few weeks ago. I'm really excited to pick it up. How does it compare to TWoM? As far as the actual gameplay, I mean. I liked that TWoM was just complex enough to be satisfying, and the term RTS makes me worried. Is it pretty easy to play? (Not "win", just play).

The actual gameplay part a city-builder, not an RTS and the mechanics are pretty straightforward if you've played any of those before. Both mechanically and in terms of the scale of the cities you build, it's effectively a self-serious Tropico that calls you a monster for doing oppressive poo poo instead of making bad puns.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 3, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I don't know if there needs to be a more in-depth explanation for Soup Rage then you're feeding people less food. Got off my emergency 24 hour shift in the coal mine to have an even smaller meal than I had yesterday. Praise the Captain!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

GamingHyena posted:

Just completed my first game and even though I didn't build any prisons or research the fiery evil order technology and also saved what was left of humanity through my excellent urban planning skills I'm apparently some sort of monster. "Sure we survived the worst storm in the history of the planet and even accepted a bunch of (but not all) refugees but Captain made us work extra shifts and had guards keeping us safe so WAS IT EVEN WORTH IT GUYS?" :cry:

They should have an event after the storm where a bunch of crybabies come up boohooing about how things were a little TOO orderly and you get the chance to throw their whiny asses into the wastes.

Is there a bright line rule as to what is considered too evil and what isn't?

drat near everything down the cop path, about two thirds of the religious path, child labor, extra shifts, amputations, mass graves, short rations, and all the entertainment past boxing pits are considered bad choices. Each of them have different weights, so it's not entirely clear what's going to bring you over the line. Setting yourself up as a totalitarian dictator on either Purpose path will give you the Bad End regardless of other choices.

Considering this is a Polish studio, I'm willing to lay some of the blame for the weirdness as poor word choice during translation/localization. Especially with the phrase "fighting pits" which implies some thunderdome poo poo in English, but in the game nobody even gets hurt in these so we're clearly not feeding dissidents to lions or whatever y'all are imagining.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Groetgaffel posted:

Don't you need to have explored Winterhome to get to the American expedition though?
Getting a few extra steam cores is great for automating as much as possible of your city during the storm.

The Big Spooky Storm countdown starts when you learn the fate of Winterhome. So the ~*~Optimal Path~*~ is to maximize the time you have by not exploring Winterhome until right when the lone survivor shows up anyway and then have a second scout team in position to book it down the Tesla City points.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Groetgaffel posted:

Someone else said it earlier, but it's probably accounting for windchill.

It would have to be. Otherwise the temperature is cold enough to freeze carbon dioxide.

Alternate take: that is the actual temperature and the storm breaking is just a hallucination as you freeze to death.

Alternate take 2: Game developers are not climate scientists and picked the temp numbers without much thought to realism.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

jokes posted:

They definitely say "I can't even hear my thoughts over this wind" or something to that effect implying it's not just cold it's also windy as gently caress.
That's not the wind, the temperature is so cold that the thoughts in their head are freezing into hilarious cartoon word baloons. That's how you're able to read them.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 10, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aside from the theme and the crazy radial grid system, this game reminds me a lot of Tropico, only the oppressive dictator bits are there to make you anxious and question your moral compass instead of for laughs.

Although I guess a lot of city builders resemble each other, but this game has the whole courting the populace while enacting edicts and researching new techs to better exploit your limited resources.

This game is basically Tropico's evil twin. Your cities are built on roughly the same population scale with the same absurd level of tracking individual citizens. No traffic management, really easy infrastructure, approval is a potential game-ender if you don't want to squash human rights, and money isn't a concern. However, your dictatorial decrees are treated as horror instead of comedy, and it's arctic instead of tropical.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Nosfereefer posted:

Isn't one of the in-game reasonings for the cold (apart from the loving Sun dimming) that the atmosphere is thick with light-blocking junk?

Yeah, I was under the assumption that the cooling was stuff in the atmosphere, combined with other environmental issues and the whole spoilered part was just 19th century science being hilariously wrong about everything just like in real life.

If the other stuff is true, then you're only delaying the inevitable and it doesn't matter what kind of society you build out there which just undermines the games enitre premise.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Ofaloaf posted:

I want to know what's going on at the equator.

There's a lot of lore in the loading screen text that never shows up elsewhere in the game. There was an initial scramble toward the equator that led to overcrowding followed by a total collapse.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

skeleton warrior posted:

Are laws available for everyone else in Winterhome? I accessed the laws screen, and everything was blank, so I assumed the scenario came with laws already finalized... and then it prompted me to select a law to deal with the health issues, and it took effect, and I think it's bugged for me.

edit: checked the Steam forums, it's a common bug, apparently I need to verify the game files

Good, now I can restart knowing what to do and pretend like I knew it all along!

I had the same bug and it resolved by just exiting the game fully and opening it again.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
IIRC, any time in cold areas increases your chance of illness, so if everyone's already borderline at work and home, then a long chilly walk to work could be juuust enough to push them over the edge.

I can't imagine this happening often enough to make "heat all paths" part of my core strategy.

In my experience, illness is one of those things that you either handle perfectly or the whole thing goes to poo poo real quick. If you don't have enough beds/doctors for the trickle of illness that can't be helped, then pretty soon you've got hundreds waiting for treatment and mass die-offs

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Man, if my Fall of Winterhome game was canon for the Winterhome you find in the main scenario, the scouts would have just been fuckin confused. You have to dismantle so many of your own buildings to get the resources for a full evacuation that all my scouts would have found was an empty snowfield and the only evidence that humans were ever here would be what appears to be the worst road layout ever designed.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

QuarkJets posted:

Good strategy stuff

Yeah, definitely don't disagree with anything here. Most of the reason for my needing to dismantle the town was that I overused my steam cores and had to reclaim them. Since you always get your steam cores back from dismantling a building that needs uses them, and deconstructing empty houses was a fast and easy way to get extra resources every time I evacuated another batch of idiots. I still believe the super secret ~*~most optimal~*~ strategy involves using them in the early game and reclaiming them later but I'm certainly not going to be the one that solves that.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 3, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Unfortunately, there isn't really enough to the game to make endless mode be compelling. Eventually you'll hit the point of Fully Automated Gay Space Communism where you're self-sufficient through automaton labor, and there's literally nothing left to do.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah. Hell, I said shortly after Frostpunk came out that I didn't think an Endless mode wouldn't fit the game very well.

The varying maps are interesting, though since they prevent you from just making the 4-layer perfect circle of Maximum Housing. I hope they keep those in mind for future scenarios.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Towers have the advantage of having a smaller building footprint than chrurches. This is mostly only useful for writing a tutorial about maximizing the number of houses you can put in the main heat zone and won't make a meaningful difference in any of the scenarios.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Even with everything cranked down to the easiest difficulty and having all the events and their timings memorized, getting the Londoners down to zero is something you'll only be able to pull off a couple days before they leave. You'll get opportunities to replace the lost manpower shortly after they leave though, so losing them is only bad if you've really hosed up.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Gort posted:

The, "Everyone is sick and dying and now they've banished me" spiral is the only way I've ever lost a scenario in the game so far, so I tend to prioritise anything that gives me an edge in the medical department. I also try to go full employment whenever possible - it feels like having unemployed people is inefficient since they could be generating research or resources.

I agree with you on the health front. Even if you don't end up in a losing position, healthcare has a snowball effect that makes it a Herculean effort to recover from any lapse in medical care.

That same healthcare paranoia makes me disagree with you on Full Employment though. The more people I have sitting in their safe and warm homes 24/7, the less stress on my medical wing.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

double nine posted:

wooo. Knocked out the 'better than london', 'satellites', rise of the machines, 'autonomous city' and 'unskilled labour' in the same city. Had a few false starts due to crashes and there were gaps in the building/road grid everywhere, but I'm still happy I managed to survive the iron shortage and complete lack of upgraded buildings.

Now to see what the deal is with those arks.

Satellites achievement will always be a source of shame for me. I got it in my first playthrough of the main scenario with no clue of what I was doing and ultimately ended up with a lower population than I had at scenario start, ticking down the seconds until the snowstorm ended and praying that the death rate would leave someone alive by the time the storm broke.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

DasNeonLicht posted:

Soup is one of my favorite policies because it's proved so useful for me in past games. Being able to get an instant 30 percent increase in ration production when I realize I face a raw food deficit or am going to have trouble meeting a stockpile benchmark has saved my skin several times.

Soup's also great because it's one of the few negative decisions that you're not locked into. Make soup in the beginning when you need to make your food stores last, and then switch back to full rations once you're running a surplus.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The hunters are actually just heading out to civilization, buying a bunch of meat, and throwing away th packaging on the way home..there's no snowpocalypse, you're all just in a goofy VaultTec style social experiment. The Londoners were just trying to get out of their contract early.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Bogart posted:

But that’s just a theory; game theory, etc

This 100 part video series will illustrate how the automatons from The Arks are tied to Five Nights at Freddie's and Undertale.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

While I love Frostpunk, I think it lost a lot for being a municipal game instead of focusing on people like This War of Mine. An RPG has a lot of potential.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I mean, I liked the first one I'm happy to know we're getting more. I mean yeah, the announcement didn't tell us anything but no announcement ever has lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Ravenfood posted:

Jesus. I can't imagine. I just failed to save New London in On the Edge on hard, mostly because I think I took too long trying to get a new food source and a ton of my people starved early on which got me behind. I never really was able to stockpile any food, either, probably because of that earlier miss.

It's an interesting idea that just feels a little underbaked.

Yeah, even on lower difficulties you want to beeline food for On the Edge.

I like it a lot more than the rest of this thread seems to, but I have a lot of forgiveness for jank so long as it's ambitious jank.