Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Please don't mention Ixion, remembering trying to play that gives me stress headaches. I don't think it's a bad game, but if you think Frostpunk is hard that thing is laughing at you.

I deeply disagree with this because all of the difficulty in Ixion is a facade thanks to how literally every event and resource in the game is fixed. There is a correct answer to every decision, no significant trade-offs needed. Frostpunk can at least throw you some curveballs so that extreme/faustian decisions make sense, but if you know the answers to all the exploration sites in Ixion... nah, there's no difficulty there.

Cassian of Imola posted:

I found it extremely difficult to keep them all happy lol, I'm just bad I guess

e: a big problem I had was I didn't realise that those those free researches of law options put a timer on passing that law or the faction gets mad at you. I had to break like 5 'commitments' in quick succession because I wasn't micromanaging the research/council timing

The impression I got over 3 runs was that you're expected to sacrifice some decisions you don't care/feel strongly about to keep the factions happy while you use that good will to pass the things you do care about, and game the system a bit to take advantage of situations where the factions want to do something you're already planning to do. "Oh, you want a Biodrum Hothouse in exchange for supporting my mandatory schooling law? Absolutely. I totally wasn't expanding that food district to build one in the next week..."

If you can adequately manage faction sentiment, you'll have a much easier time handling the resource management parts. I'm looking forward to the finished product because it looks like there's enough meat in the mechanics to keep things interesting. It also feels like much of the game is going to surround the colonies, which aren't playable in the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU