Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kraftwerk posted:

Too bad the game only lasts 45 days with an arbitrary scripted event that keeps you from playing longer.
No sandbox mode either.

Honestly I am not too down on that. Surviving Mars has the problem that after the scripted event passes the game is effectively over, you just keep going until you get bored or run out of water. I would rather have a hard cap than a meandering lack of end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Game is pretty good so far. Few tips:

- Food is two-for-one to raw meat, so you need multiple producers to carry your initial group
- Scouts rock
- The tutorial for roads comes super late. Basically when you open the build menu there is a second button on the bottom to build roads around the squares of buildings. You have to do this to build new places further away from the generator.
- The Infirmary is very important, because you don't automatically generate new people, and sick people give big hits to morale.
- Laws cannot be reversed as far as I can tell. That said, a lot of them are just flat bonuses, so go ahead and pick them up early due to the cooldown.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m sure it’s too early to get a good answer, but my question is how the campaign feels, and how much replayability it has.

I’m much more partial to endless builds, things that I can make sustainable and manage efficiency. This doesn’t seem to be that, which is fine, but I hope that the campaign lasts a long while and there’s reason to play it again.

It is definitely more a survival game than a city builder. It isn't as bad as This War of Mine, but you are constantly fighting bad weather and overpopulation. You really have to pay attention to make sure that all your resources are used effectively.

It would become trivially easy after a bit if it was just endless since there are infinite resources on the map, but still.

The harder scenarios are going to be the meat of the game imo. There are a lot of techs you just can't get to in time unless you beeline for them, so scenarios will assuredly direct you to them.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 24, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Have you played Oxygen Not Included? Just wondering how it stacks up against that in terms of like, flow and relative “okay this is stable, but only until x resource runs out or population increases”.

I’m going to buy and probably enjoy Frostpunk, but I’m trying to gauge whether or not it’ll be a sort of one and done playthrough or if I’ll stick with it a long time.

I love ONI and this is not that. It's more a game of managing your citizen's moods with resources rather than using those to make sprawling efficient cities. Yes, you can set up outposts and such to make things work better, and those will provide you with a theoretically infinite amount of stuff, but those are really just there to enable you to stretch your colony out for long enough to enact Ice Facism or whatever.

E. Really it's space that is the issue more than resources a lot of the time. You are trying to huddle things around heat sources as much as you can, because otherwise you're going to burn all of your coal just trying to keep those outlying buildings warm.

Newbie tip I noticed, it's totally savvy to build certain buildings on the outskirts of town without any worry. Things like stockpiles, cemeteries, etc don't need heat and just take up space.

E2. Whoo boy, I thought getting through the Londoners was the main thrust of the game. Nooooope.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 25, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kater posted:

Kind of curious how many scenarios it has and the General difficulty of it. Still debating on getting this or Battletech first. I think I might like this as a concept more but Battletech seems a ton more meaty.

It's very difficult to complete, at least from my experience. You'll definitely need to run the campaign over and over to complete it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

No Pants posted:

Its workers gather stuff within its radius. It's insulated and can be heated, so it does a decent job preventing frostbite while you're still in the gathering phase.

It's main use long-term is to gather coal that the coal washer (or whatever it's called) spits out as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

symphoniccacophony posted:

Hard to say what the issue is without seeing your city layout, but if your sims are sleeping in the cold, their chance of getting sick increases dramatically. Click on the tents and hover your mouse over the thermometer to check if they are properly heated.

Sleeping *and working* in the cold. In my experiences people are way more likely to get sick on the job than they will at home.

I don't think I have ever had a hunter get sick though, which is funny given that they are the ones trudging across the surface.

That said, 80 sick on day 2 is absurd.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

In general it worked because by the end I went full evil bastard executing any seditious people or banishing them. When resources ran low I kept people running suicide missions to keep things chugging. So I got to the end on my first run... But it want a happy ending. I haven't done any other missions. Forced Shifts + Executions keeps people in line and the resources flowing.

In regards to how it worked, I played a shitton of Tropic over the years so this games resource stuff was similar.THe only vvideo I saw was the teaser trailer/EA video I saw a few months ago.

If I had to say what this game felt like its a cross of Tropic and Banner Saga.

I would also reccomend building little hubs around steam generators. I had a couple early on as "suburbs" this worked out really great early on and let me carry a ton of human resources into the late game.

You kind of have to be an evil bastard to win, I think. Which is probably the point of the game, same as it was in TWOM.

I tried to save as many people as I could when they all started trudging into my camp but by the time the big freeze came I was so overpopulated that it became a total nightmare just to feed everyone.

Food is a bastard later in the game. You have to have a full, what, third of your population just chugging out raw meat to feed everyone, and that is with the efficiency upgrades.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I don't really know how they can do "good versus bad" here as much. Yeah avoid wanton cruelty, but unlike TWOM we are talking about an extinction event here. "Was it worth what you did?" Yes, if beating up some seditionists was what it took for humanity not to go extinct then it drat well was.

TWOM was built around the idea that the war would someday end, and what you did during that time defined what you were at the end. But here it just doesn't work. The winter will probably never end, which makes the game ForTheGreaterGood.exe. yeah it is hosed up that you steam a lot of people to death for complaining about the cold, but if it means everyone else doesn't die too then score.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 26, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Korthal posted:

Did the devs do the research? Is it physically possible for it to get down to -200°F on earth?

I am not quite sure I understand your question. What would be the limiting factor in it not getting that cold? The lowest theoretical temperature is -273C, which is like -500F iirc.

Or do you mean in the sense of our proximity to the sun? Mercury is blazing hot during the day, but it drops way below -200 at night because of the total lack of atmosphere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Coal mines just take 10 workers and produce absolute shitloads of coal for the price of those workers. They also take up less space.

Implying you don't need every mine you can get and more just to keep the generator running hot.

Maybe I wouldn't need to dump entire coal mines into the gen if they didn't design the thing to be a six story, open topped tower. Great engineering folks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Have a little optimism, don't be so frigid.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Korthal posted:

You can rotate buildings with middle mouse button...

Is there a reason to do this other than to make it look pretty? Everything is on a circular grid for a reason

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Are there any ways to increase the number of outpost teams? The tooltip implies that you can upgrade the number but I don't see it on the tree, just more scouts

VVVV But why, it's just an elevator lol. Whatever, thanks

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

Factories are great because you can build automatons and use them to man your resource buildings 24/7. Having resources coming in all the time is a huge boon, you no longer have to heat the building, and with research you can even have them man your workshops and have 24/7 research, which basically saved my arse since I was way behind on research.

I guess, but in my playing I never got enough steam cores to build an appreciable number of automatons. They are better spent making upgrades resource factories and such imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

I saw the journal text with the sun dimming. I'm just curious if I missed a reason why we think it's going to go out completely as opposed to settle down at a lower brightness.

If we are talking about actual science the sun wouldn't dim as it died, it would would expand and eventually engulf earth as it turned into a red giant before it collapsed. A meteor would make more sense.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gaj posted:

How the hell do you aid New Manchester?

I have all the extra resources stored up, including a spare automoton. But for some reason when I send a scout team, human or robot, it doesnt succeed?

Go to the scouting building and hit the arrow next to the "build new scout team" to change it to "send supplies"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This game solidifies the idea that cold-based gameplay is really compelling, especially for survival games. I think it's partially because cold is a real threat in the real world that kills people all the time. Extreme heat is something that is a huge problem in some places, but basically anyone who lives in a northern country has the cold as a serious problem. Living in northern USA we aren't that far above the frost line, and yet in winter losing your power is the dead of winter isn't just annoying, it's dangerous. There are social services that are just for making sure people can heat their homes.

It's a more realistic threat than "you haven't had a drink of water in three minutes, so you died"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't played any Tropico games, but this kinda sounds like a Steampunk version of Banished, which sounds really good. I'll probably try it out soonish.

Ehhh it's more This War of Mine with city building rather than the scouting minigame. If you are looking for a sustainable town simulator you might be disappointed.

The game runs 45 days and has spiking difficulty through to the end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

The spooky red research is the "you can't even pretend you're being moral anymore" research, not the "I've never done a bad thing once" line in the sand, which is the actual thing the game grades you on for good/bad ending

Idk what the spooky red faith research is but the order one literally replaces your hope bar with a giant black obedience bar and sets up a public execution platform for political dissidents. You've passed "for the greater good" and have entered full on villain status once you go there.

It is basically the same, you just become The Prophet rather than The Man.

Really the big difference between the two are the branches and how the affect production. That and faith tends to be more about raising hope while the other is about crushing dissent. Both are hosed up, but Faith tends to be a softer club.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Frostpunk is basically the edgelord teenager to TWOM's sensitive college student. Ignore the Was It Worth It and beat the poo poo out of dissidents imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Helion posted:

We should try to figure out what makes for a cross the line ending. I'm curious because other people seemed to make similar choices to me, but I didn't and they did.

I chose faith, didn't declare myself prophet or truth arbiter or whatever, so I stopped before the penultimate one. I let all of the refugees in, sick included. I only did the flagellant thing once, when the game basically prompted me to do it due to the Londoners. I made prosthetics for the amputees, and did not punish the Londoners for the theft of food or supplies. I was also easy on thieves prior to the big storm. That's all I can think of.

Probably never using 24 hour shifts too, since using it once to make sure everyone doesn't instantly die means that someone works themselves to death because they didn't invent shifts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Caidin posted:

I mean New London can get through if only because of the increasingly terrifying hell tower that is the cities central heating system, but would any of the arctic fauna survive all that?

Even if seals or polar bears or whatever could stand the cold, their food sources would be destroyed and they would eventually starve to death. Most of the large polar animals rely overwhelmingly on fish, and once the oceans started to freeze solid they wouldn't be able to access it.

That said, the oceans are cold and deep. Even if the first fifty feet of the water froze solid it would eventually thaw if the planet warmed up again, meaning some fish might survive and repopulate.

E. Assuming that it never thaws the best you will get might be the deep sea vent extremophiles, as the aquatic plant life dies off and everything else with it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 30, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Do folks not run the Generator constantly?

There isn't much reason not to unless you have literally zero coal.

It isn't so bad to have it off really early in the game but having it off at night will kill people no matter how warm they are, which is dumb.

E. Re resource management, be careful with how you heat the outer buildings. Keeping the generator at a normal level is easy, but you can have a ton of bleeding from random heaters you have on around the place. It's good to make liberal use of the economy menu and temperature overlay.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 30, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Renounced posted:

This isn't on my screen, even with a method of dealing with the dead not selected. I'm using the GOG version fwiw.

:same: for the steam version.

Someone is pirating lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Prav posted:

if your robots are reading dickens locking them up is probably a good precaution tbh

Whose idea was it to put the automatons in charge of making more automatons

Elon Musk was right

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If people aren't dying of exposure it's probably a bug. I know that I had comfortably heated tents without the gen running and loads of people still died.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Prav posted:

is generator range actually worth investing in, or can you just stick with generator power + steam hubs? think i'm gonna try a game where i plain skip the range, see how it goes.

IMO it is worth it for the second ring but not past that. Two rings can hold the important things like houses, infirmities, and cookhouse pretty well, past that you won't tech into higher levels until well after you should have a lot of your base already built. At that point it is easier to use heaters.

One thing to remember is that steam hubs can only raise heat one level, so if you are going to try and use that to heat your tents you are going to have a bad time. Houses are the one thing that you cannot use heaters on as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Prav posted:

i thought that hubs created a heat zone, and that all heat zones add the full power of the generator

Weird, wiki says this is true. I have only seen them give +1 on the tooltip.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tylana posted:

The main depth as far as I know is the higher difficulties are much less forgiving. There's also the other scenarios and the endless mode (with different city maps to work with) in combination with such. But that's just from seeing people chatter in the thread.

Also the self-imposed challenge of only using ethical practices, which really kneecaps a lot of high level hope/discontent modifiers

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I mostly like the DLC because you're basically playing as the outposts that you can set up in the original scenario and the "bad guy" was you, the player, loving up your city over and over and hoping that the shipments keep coming.

It's an interesting flip because your New London masters basically act how you do, paying for the initial setup and after that you're just a blip on a map to them with "+30 steel" written on it.

E. For new players, there is something that really hosed me up the first time that is a mechanical issue, so forewarn: You lose the construction crew that you send to make a new outpost at settlements. You DON'T lose the ones that you send out to make safe passages. Don't be like me and try and wait until you had thirty people to spare to make safe passages and lose out on tons of supplies. It's really lovely game design to change rules like that without saying anything.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 22, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly I kinda feel you on that. I love the game, don't get me wrong. But I was ... expecting a big dramatic reveal about what was causing the earth to go cold and maybe to try to reverse it, but instead our last dlc is ... Coalition Builder Frostpunk?

Yeah from a code name like "project tvadgycgjr" I was expecting some kind of last ditch project to warm the planet back up, but that wouldn't have been grimdark enough i guess

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Assuming that Mr. Mustache in the video is the same mayor figure that was in the original game's trailers (who is looking pretty good for getting charbroiled), I wonder if they are going to start putting harder penalties on negative events more than just discord or hope hits. Once you got the number game down in the original you could pull off some pretty unpleasant stuff so long as you opened chuch or a fighting pit right after to counterbalance the hit. Perhaps losing the right to perform some actions if you don't fulfill needs?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I do also like The Last Autumn for the idea that there's a reason why people would get pissed off at you and try to throw you out, since it's not even clear at the start that the world is freezing. In the main game it's easy to get lost in the "I'm sorry we had white doilies rather than cream colored, we are collectively about to literally freeze to death", but in LA there's the question of "is this even happening or are these bourgeois shits just working us to death for no reason"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Always felt very dumb to me that you can't sign off on extreme laws like cannibalism if discontent is too high because surely that's exactly when you would do that

The game over isn't "everyone dies", though, it's "you did something super controversial when everyone was already pissed off at you so they decided to steam you like a lobster"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Hopefully the digging will lead to geothermal, or just living underground, closer to the heat.

An ant farm colony sim a la Oxygen Not Included where you have to dig into the ground to find a narrow band of habitable temperature ranges which slowly moves towards the core as the outside crust freezes over, forcing you to constantly move your functional buildings to stay in the band, would be pretty sweer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I would imagine that the difficulty in unlocking Cannibalism is intentional since there isn't really a path towards victory for a stable society once you start eating all the dead. It's more of a "go ahead, seal your fate" button

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Fertilizer does need corpses though.

They tried using all the human waste they have on hand but they realized that poopsickles would just kill the potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I was a little shaky on the change to Frostopolis rather than a scrappy shanty town but it sounds like they pulled it off fairly well. Imo a lot of it will come down to balance in time, which is something that games in a similar vein have lived and died on, like Ixion.

The political system seems like a natural extension of the game and also makes more sense for approval ratings. The original always had this weird feeling where you would put something unpopular in place that was the only thing that was keeping people from dying and get hated for it, or even killed if things are going badly enough. Having the population be much larger makes that kind of thing make more sense since there is more distance between the people and the politics.