Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I made it, I became military dictator and held mass executions while scrambling to get supplies ready for the storm. My city went from about 600 or so people to losing about 100 to the Londoners to five hundred to about 280 in the last week as people starved, froze to death or were sent on suicide missions, including chucking kids into the generator to keep it running... however I think humanity *might* live. However the coolest thing in the scenario was stuff we only saw the aftermath of in crazy Tesla Icebreaker Dreadnoughts and a haunted city.

Look forward to the other scenario's, I think my biggest problem was I didn't cluster stuff around the generator so I was pretty wasteful with coal keeping a bunch of hubs powered. I also built too much lumber harvesting at expense of maybe more food factories etc. Not trying to brag this was my first attempt dry run, and I am sure I did things incredibly sub-optimally. It was a nailbiting four hours or so too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

redreader posted:

I find it extremely hard to believe that people finish it on their first try without having watched streams etc. I learned a bunch of stuff in my first two games that was not obvious at all. I'm sure a lot of stuff seems obvious if you've watched gameplay videos and streams, but yeah, anyone who plays this and finishes it first try without knowing anything about it, is a straight up genius.

edit: if you've played and enjoyed 'this war of mine', this has a similar feel. They could add a lot of different scenarios without too much extra work.

In general it worked because by the end I went full evil bastard executing any seditious people or banishing them. When resources ran low I kept people running suicide missions to keep things chugging. So I got to the end on my first run... But it want a happy ending. I haven't done any other missions. Forced Shifts + Executions keeps people in line and the resources flowing.

In regards to how it worked, I played a shitton of Tropic over the years so this games resource stuff was similar.THe only vvideo I saw was the teaser trailer/EA video I saw a few months ago.

If I had to say what this game felt like its a cross of Tropic and Banner Saga.

I would also reccomend building little hubs around steam generators. I had a couple early on as "suburbs" this worked out really great early on and let me carry a ton of human resources into the late game.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 25, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t think there’s much benefit to child labour. Yeah you goose your start a little but having engineering apprentices seems far more optimal. Rushing tech helped me get ready for everything. I tried to get as many workshops as I could by the end of it.

If you can get infirmaries up and running the healing rate improvements from tech usually resolve any issues from not having medical apprentices.

The big advantage I see in kiddie labor is they can run your greenhouses and cooking needs while workers do other stuff

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You kind of have to be an evil bastard to win, I think. Which is probably the point of the game, same as it was in TWOM.

I tried to save as many people as I could when they all started trudging into my camp but by the time the big freeze came I was so overpopulated that it became a total nightmare just to feed everyone.

Food is a bastard later in the game. You have to have a full, what, third of your population just chugging out raw meat to feed everyone, and that is with the efficiency upgrades.

Its alright might as well have them die in your obedient city because then they don't go to waste in the the frostlands

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

One thing I almost wish was you can across Winterhome or Tesla City before they went to poo poo, and then watch one or the other collapse in the face of the impending storm or go full religious/fascist and start squabbling with your guys as the doom approaches.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Phenotype posted:

It can't be that bad, can it? 2 raw food makes 4 rations or 5 bowls of soup, so you're still getting 80% of what you'd be getting otherwise. I think people are just whiners.

Did the refugee groups give you any information or scouting spots or anything? Why did the freeze happen??

I helped all of them and I don't think so, you get bonus technologies from searching the camps etc. with scouts, the loading screens make it sound like it was a massive event that filled the atmosphere with ash, so infer whatever you want from that.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soylent Pudding posted:

I guess I don't get why they are fleeing to the arctic to survive global cooling. You'd think they'd want to be equatorial as possible to get every last little bit of heat.

Its probably because the rest of the world is melting down into chaos and these generators etc. were setup in isolated places etc. to avoid being swamped with hundreds of thousands of refugees. I assume the world is melting down into frozen 1800's mad max in more civilized areas.

Even though you get refugees its realistically on a trickle of (un)lucky bastards who managed to get that far North.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The second scenario actually lets you be the good guys I just finished it, I would say the Vaults is alot easier than the main scenario.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In regards to child labor I think in scenario 1 its not worth it, however in 3 (the refugees) I think its a good idea.

You start with so few adults that if you want a functional town before the weather starts dropping you need to enlist them especially on hard. Plus the area you have to build is smaller and with fewer fixed resources it takes less room to cram kids into gathering huts/cookhouses than a shelter. You also can't build an outpost for steam cores and the ones I had on hand I needed to build the advanced buildings. Plus fewer engineers meant I didn't have a big surplus to dedicate to anything other than medicine and research.

I think a lot of the more drastically bad laws exist for if you mess up and need a quick fix.

In my dry run I had to go full fascist to keep things intact just because I botched so much of the game if you keep redoing to get an optimal start you wont need to ever go down a rabbit hole of the dark decisions.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 26, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soylent Pudding posted:

My big issue with "is it worth it" is that the question only matters if in the frostpunk universe longterm survival of the species is possible without going full fascist. The game makes a big deal of surviving one storm but there is no indication if the planet will ever recover, or even if it will stabilize at a level of cold steampunk civilization can adapt to.

Incidentally massive global cooling means that the massive greenhouse gas emissions from a steampunk civilization might actually restore earth's normal temperature.

I mean if you assume all the scenario's are happening concurrently, you can have at very least 3 functional settlements, 4 if you save New Manchester. You could probably guess there are others scattered around somewhere and maybe people survived in other parts of the world. Then you have the failed cities like Tesla City & Winter-home which could probably be reoccupied given time.

Rookersh posted:

The sun is going out. Nothing you do will matter, because it'll just keep getting colder/worse.

It's not a global cooling/climate change issue.

huh where is that coming from, the little snippets of detail made it sounds like it was a meteor/asteroid strike? Spraying a bunch of ash into the atmopshere

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I would say this, it felt a little short. However the setting is quite interesting and I really want more, which if the Dev's are going to continue to support it I think it was an excellent buy even if I won't touch it for awhile.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

GamingHyena posted:

How many people does one hunter hut support? I hate spending cores on hothouses and my food supply seems to careen wildly between maxing out food production and max hunger. Also, how many workshops do most people build and when? My last game I made it to the ice storm but was only at tech level 3 or 4 and got my poo poo snowed in.

I was halfway tempted on my next run to spend all cores on automatons and then just pare the population down to a small group of relatively pampered people who basically just hunt and live. Basically the Frostpunk version of Rogue Servitors. Is this a viable strategy?

Edit: Math was wrong initially

People I think eat one meal a day unless starving and they eat two

So using the base Hunter Hut on Normal gets you 15 raw food

In the Cookhouse you can convert 2 raw food into 4 meals base, 5 "soup" (actually probably needs to be renamed gruel), 6 Sawdust

So 30(R)/37.5(S)/45(SW)

If you get the improved hunting it goes up to 20 raw food

So it becomes 40(R)/50(S)/60(SW)

Once you get fliers it jumps up to 30 raw food
or 28 on Hard

So it becomes 60(R)/75(S)/90(SW)

So to keep say by the endgame 750 people alive you need

12.5(R)/10.00(S)/8.33(SW) Flying Hunter Lodges to not run a deficit of food more if you want or need to stockpile.

By looking at the numbers, yeah Food is the big bottleneck probably moreso than Coal, I think researching the improved hunters ASAP is probably the most important of the early upgrades.

So to keep everyone on regular rations it takes 2.5 more than running with the "Soup" law, but Soup only requires 1.67 more Hunter huts than using Sawdust meals. On a Space Premium map like refugees Hunters gather food for soup probably makes the most sense.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 3, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Faldoncow posted:

Hate to mess up your math, but the ratio is 2 raw : 4 meals, or 2 raw : 5 meals with soup. So on hard with no upgrades, 1 Hunter's Hut (13 raw /day) provides food for 26 people while taking up 15 people for the job.

Thats fine, it felt a little low, but I was doing this at night going back and redoing this.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Darkrenown posted:

It's the "pits" part that makes me think it's bloodsports. Boxers are up in a raised ring so more people can see them. Trapping the fighters in pits is only good for stopping whoever is losing from escaping before they get their head stomped on. Even if it's just boxing it still seems more extreme than having a drink at a bar, but it'd be more sane. If I'd been making that tree I'd have swapped the pub and the fight pit and then maybe than the fighting zone be a choice between sporty boxing and pitfighting.

To be fair maybe they just dig down into a pit because its loving cold.

Also prostitution is hosed up because the brothel public house can still be run by all kids working "safe" jobs *shudders* or at least it didn't kick the ones out when I did it in a desperate attempt to drop discontent on a playthrough

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jeza posted:

In Refugees, is there any benefit to not looting the Iron Bank?

Yeah its there for when civilization recovers after the scope of the game.