Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah when you get into the nitty gritty of the health mechanics in particular, and much of the game really, there’s a lot of weird interactions to take advantage of. But it’s much better to not worry about them during the first few playthroughs when the player focus is on the story and themes, rather than system mastery.

My only real tip for the new player is that they can use building footprints to plan out their roads and city design, then delete the footprints. That way you can create central avenues or standardized districts much easier.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ravenfood posted:

Ooh. This I like, once I found out my workshop is slightly longer than everything else so far. Is there another way to create fake templates or do I just cancel a building before it gets started for a full refund?

Yeah you’ve got the idea. You can use the building footprints of the size you want to lay down the roads, and the roads will make sure the buildings will go in the right spots. It’s a helpful planning tool, particularly when paused.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Much like Utilize the Dead or Alternative Food Source’s useful but not critical boost to food, Organ Transplants are a “nice to have” in my opinion, particularly if you already are prioritizing health infrastructure and avoiding deaths. By the time I get around to signing a burial law, it doesn’t really matter much. Either sick people are getting into Infirmaries, or they’re not. On the other hand, a Cemetery can be a useful shot of Hope that can tip the balance on a quest if I need it.

The math here comes down to the relative efficiency impact: A 20% boost is great, but that’s the same as a Shrine/Agitator and only a third that of Extra Rations. An Infirmary can be operating at north of 195% efficiency without Organ Transplants - what’s another 20% on top of that?

That being said, much like Soup v Sawdust it’s a perennial debate over which is better in what circumstance.

https://frostpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Food_Additives_and_Soup_Comparison

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 1, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It’s all about trade-offs, certainly. Using two early laws to get 20% med efficiency doesn’t really fit into my plan on survivor, but I’m glad it works for you.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Morning Gathering can be a useful way to get a bit of extra Hope. The Propaganda Centre is very useful though. Dealing with the Londoners takes some time and patience. If you can stabilize the situation and deal with the events in a positive way, they will eventually accept things.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

Dumb question: I have several infirmaries, many of them empty, yet I still have patients sitting in my Care House. I thought the Care House was supposed to hold them until they can be treated in Infirmaries, so why are they there and how can I force them into my Infirmary to get better (and back to work)?

If they have amputations then they’ll need Prosthetics before they can rejoin the general work force. Other than that, and assuming those Infirmaries are staffed, then sometimes it takes a day or so for the system to respond fully (for example they might get caught in a hunger loop or something). Check the status of the patients and see if they have any unmet needs. If you can’t think of anything, try closing the Care House and see what happens.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Congrats! I’m glad you had fun. It’s a (polar) blast of a game. Try the other scenarios! The Seedling Arks is a particularly good one, if you’re already a fan of Automatons.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah there’s an important difference between a game being difficult versus punishing. Games that feature rote memorization, or random luck, aren’t really difficult per se - they just reward foreknowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

That reminds me of the old aphorism: “If someone tells you what they’re doing, believe them; and if they don’t tell you then assume they are hiding the truth and immediately post about it on social media”.

There’s plenty of time to complain about the game in the future. Don’t worry too much about the preview beta, and avoid pre-ordering. Just wait for the game to come out and see what it’s like.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 22, 2024