Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

Cassian of Imola posted:

It's still very difficult. Maybe more difficult, even, but I can't tell the difference this early between high difficulty and me being bad

Seconding this, going through the tutorial while being "proactive" and thought I was doing good Frostbreaking more materials, getting a good factory going, etc, then all of a sudden I'm out of food. Then I'm out of workers. Then I solve those it gets cold and oh no my coal ran out while I wasn't looking. The stress from the first game still shines through! I was worried about the politicking side of things but so far it's been interesting working with the factions. The negotiating mechanics to help get the votes you need for a law you want to pass feels more like me shaping my city without me knowing about it than strictly a mechanic or a setback. Votes can be bought in some cases with cash, but in other cases by making political promises to support that factions agenda by passing a law or letting them choose the next one to be voted on. So far I haven't yet hit a time where I wasn't able to follow through on a promise or felt like I was hamstringing myself in doing so, exited to see how that evolves.

Also it's cool that the counselor's have their own mini-personality quirks. Not sure if this plays into voting or is just some character building, all I know is Estelle is a good sport:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would assume that they would greatly customize the political challenge for individual scenarios like they did with the original, but it's definitely possible that the politics could end up trivial and more of just an aesthetic thing to give flavor.

That's kind of how it was in Tropico. It's very hard to be at risk of losing an election unless something crazy has happened, but it is neat to be able to go to the politics screen and see how you can pander to the factions to help direct your play.

Yeah, trying to get laws passed and the impacts of doing so has been one of the highlights of the beta for me. If you make concessions you get what you want now but it knocks back your money, or now you have a future problem either in terms of passing a law you didn't want, or handing over agenda control to another faction when you already have an open promise to an opposing one. I had a few times when I had pissed the Icebloods off enough they staged protests at one of my districts, shutting it down and I believe increasing tension and/or decreasing trust until they could be placated. Similarly the technocrats were so thrilled at one point they were holding rallys in my support.

My takeaways from the beta were that the game engine and performance seemed flawless, at least for me, and like Groetgaffel said it was essentially a sandbox feedback-collector for the balance and the mechanics. There was just enough worldbuilding and story to have a basic goal for beta players to drive them into the areas 11bit are looking for feedback on vs. it being act 1 of a full story mode.