Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I wonder if a good drinking game will be to drink every time they kill an enemy Rick wants to suck up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

that ivy guy posted:

As for the puzzle pieces, yeah, don't expect to complete any puzzles. But you don't need them for 100%, just all the big rainbow ones.
If you want to complete puzzles there's a way to farm them.

Each of the Kirby amiibo give you two blue puzzle pieces when you scan them, and you can scan five amiibo a level. Find a short-ish level with it's own relative density of puzzle pieces(probably the earliest level with a switch, hitting a switch you already hit gives you a few prices) and scan five amiibo right before the end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

If you want to complete puzzles there's a way to farm them.

Each of the Kirby amiibo give you two blue puzzle pieces when you scan them, and you can scan five amiibo a level. Find a short-ish level with it's own relative density of puzzle pieces(probably the earliest level with a switch, hitting a switch you already hit gives you a few prices) and scan five amiibo right before the end.

Does completing all the puzzles actually unlock anything though?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You mean besides the lovely art that people put love and work into?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Does completing all the puzzles actually unlock anything though?

No idea. I've been busy with work and Surviving Mars Other Important Things so I haven't been able to play ahead of the LP this time. I've only gotten as far as Jambastion: the third world But since there's only one Puzzle Piece per level unlike Robobot's Gears, I've only really had trouble finding one piece and even that one was out in the open, just underneath some very visually busy water.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

You mean besides the lovely art that people put love and work into?

Yeah, that's what I figured it amounted to but I've only completed one picture in my game so far so I wasn't sure if there was anything else to it or not.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Nice, thanks for the heads up on the Puzzle Pieces, guys. This'll make it a lot easier to not stress too much about any of them outside the Rainbow Piece in each level!

Starting to fiddle around with our abilities a bit more, there are some neat combos in this game, not to mention the elemental abilities doubling up on weapon abilities. I feel like this game has a TON of complexity bubbling under the surface.

Part 2: "The Meat Palace of My Dreams" | World of Peace: Dream Land - Dream Palace, Honey Hill, Extra Eclair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n63s29hb_2Q

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure how far ahead of the thread you guys have played but
You can use your friend heart on Wispy Woods, Dedede, and Meta Knight after you defeat them.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

We have indeed discovered that! Well, partially, anyway...

Part 3: "It Was Made of Wood, Idiots" | World of Peace: Dream Land - Fruity Forest vs. Whispy Woods, Clash at Castle Dedede vs. King Dedede
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA0l2onUjN0

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 24, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Oh yeah, it's not so much of an issue now, but going forward it would be a nice touch to read the pause menu bios for the bosses you face. Some can be pretty meaty. Especially each of the parts of the final bosses.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Additionally, you can find the list of available moves for each power you have in the menu. Might be worth trying out the more complicated button combos.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, you didn't try it out but Vividra/Paint is basically a boss killer, particularly when combined with Stone. It also has the game's only real healing move(it summons the fridge from Kirby 64)

Also: Broom has both Wind and Water element that it can add to other weapons. Wind usually adds some additional functionality. And you can add elements to Bomb.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 25, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

that ivy guy posted:

Oh yeah, it's not so much of an issue now, but going forward it would be a nice touch to read the pause menu bios for the bosses you face. Some can be pretty meaty. Especially each of the parts of the final bosses.

Oh, drat! I'll try to keep that in mind going forward!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Additionally, you can find the list of available moves for each power you have in the menu. Might be worth trying out the more complicated button combos.

Duly noted, we might do that a bit from here out with particularly cryptic Abilities.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, you didn't try it out but Vividra/Paint is basically a boss killer, particularly when combined with Stone. It also has the game's only real healing move(it summons the fridge from Kirby 64)

Also: Broom has both Wind and Water element that it can add to other weapons. Wind usually adds some additional functionality. And you can add elements to Bomb.

Been messing around with that a bit in the more recent videos, some of these combos are pretty drat wild!

And with that... to Planet Popstar!

Part 4: "Someone Eats Kirby's rear end" | World of Miracles: Planet Popstar - Friendly Field, Dream Palace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoQwiDoNGU

Part 5: "The Armist" | World of Miracles: Planet Popstar - Reef Resort, Inside Islands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23CtpYs9kzY

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cook, Crash, and Mic all have special attacks that happen if you hold the button down and let them charge. Also Parasol is water element.

Also seconding the point that you should check out the power list whenever you grab something new, It'll tell you what friend ability and combos it has and some of them are really esoteric. Usually the ones involving stone.

e: Also the game just got some free DLC that will probably make Rick very happy.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 30, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Part 6: "Farting Around" | World of Miracles: Planet Popstar - Echo's Edge, Nature's Navel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if7GRJc1IeI

Part 7: "I Make-a the Pizza" | World of Miracles: Planet Popstar - Duplex Dream, Sacred Square vs. Meta Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPD3FFtcNuc

Kurieg posted:

Also the game just got some free DLC that will probably make Rick very happy.

SURE DID!

Part 8: "F.R.I.E.N.D.S." | Fortress of Shadows: Jambastion - Gatehouse Road vs. Pon & Con, Eastern Wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64uzA1MZao

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ricdesi posted:

Part 8: "F.R.I.E.N.D.S." | Fortress of Shadows: Jambastion - Gatehouse Road vs. Pon & Con, Eastern Wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64uzA1MZao

The start of that was heartbreaking.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

SURE DID!

So from my experimentation with the AI. Marx is a "Weapon" and can be buffed by elements accordingly. Gooey and the Animal buddies have multiple different Elements that they can use for combos (Gooey's tounge is water, his dashing attack is fire, Rick has Fire, Coo has Air, Kine has Ice) notably both animal buddies and Gooey can subsitute in for Rock in the various combo attacks that require it. (Rick Curling is pretty hilarious looking, by the way)

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I believe there's a really convoluted way to transfer control. Basically P4 would have had to hold Y to become a CPU, and then another player could take control of that now-CPU character. Also it's drat unfortunate that Gooey taking the dream rod caused him to immediately become the guy it selected!

Also fun fact about Plasma: you can now shake the joy-con to charge instead of mashing the d-pad. Nice quality of life improvement

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 30, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

The start of that was heartbreaking.

Yeah, that was, uh... not an ideal way to start this one off.

Kurieg posted:

So from my experimentation with the AI. Marx is a "Weapon" and can be buffed by elements accordingly. Gooey and the Animal buddies have multiple different Elements that they can use for combos (Gooey's tounge is water, his dashing attack is fire, Rick has Fire, Coo has Air, Kine has Ice) notably both animal buddies and Gooey can subsitute in for Rock in the various combo attacks that require it. (Rick Curling is pretty hilarious looking, by the way)

It's really rad how these guys bring in a handful of random moves from Dream Land 2, Dream Land 3, and Super Star, the elements and weapons at play make for some neat combos! Definitely some neat stuff coming up in the next few episodes, I can tell you that.

that ivy guy posted:

I believe there's a really convoluted way to transfer control. Basically P4 would have had to hold Y to become a CPU, and then another player could take control of that now-CPU character. Also it's drat unfortunate that Gooey taking the dream rod caused him to immediately become the guy it selected!

Augh, I knew there was a way to make that work. drat. And yeah, it's really unfortunate that there was no way to prevent Gooey from being deleted and replaced as soon as he grabbed the Dream Rod.

that ivy guy posted:

Also fun fact about Plasma: you can now shake the joy-con to charge instead of mashing the d-pad. Nice quality of life improvement

Ooooooooh, that is VERY good news, that makes things a lot better than jamming all over the Control Stick!

Part 9: "Your Goopy Water Balls" | Fortress of Shadows: Jambastion - Sector A, Longview Corridor vs. Francisca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEQBgzsp_8

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The other trick is that if you get the wrong Dream Friend and you have a full team of four friends, you can cancel getting the Dream Friend with B and roll again in the same palace. (If you don't have four friends, the Dream Friend is automatically added to your team.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The music you recognized and called out was from Kirby 64.

I did some more experimenting, Turns out Rick, Kine and Coo can give weapons fire, wind, or Water. (Down+Attack as Rick turns into Kine and you flop on the ground ineffectually splashing water around). Also both Rick and Gooey have unique rock painting statues. Also the issue you ran into with Birdon not being able to toss Rock Kirby around is that you can only do curling with anything that makes water, ice, or specifically the sweeping motion of clean.
Because it's a broom.
Yup.

Another thing you guys should try is stacking up on top of each other(Hold down when you land on a friend) then hold L+R and release them at the same time.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 31, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Kurieg posted:

The music you recognized and called out was from Kirby 64.

I appreciate how this has zero dislikes over 8 years of existence. Kirby fans are the greatest.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Small QoL tip for jumping from dream palace to dream palace if that's a thing that needs to be done again: you can press Y to access the stage list and then select levels from there to warp to them instantly (loading screen permitting), including across worlds!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm waiting for the moment they accidentally use paint on gooey while he's in rock form and have no idea what's going on.

e: I AM A PROPHET!

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 4, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

The other trick is that if you get the wrong Dream Friend and you have a full team of four friends, you can cancel getting the Dream Friend with B and roll again in the same palace. (If you don't have four friends, the Dream Friend is automatically added to your team.)

...oh, god drat it.

Kurieg posted:

Another thing you guys should try is stacking up on top of each other(Hold down when you land on a friend) then hold L+R and release them at the same time.

INTERESTING, I think we'll give that a shot tonight!

that ivy guy posted:

Small QoL tip for jumping from dream palace to dream palace if that's a thing that needs to be done again: you can press Y to access the stage list and then select levels from there to warp to them instantly (loading screen permitting), including across worlds!

Oh wow, yeah that'll make things considerably drat faster, thanks for the tip!

Kurieg posted:

I'm waiting for the moment they accidentally use paint on gooey while he's in rock form and have no idea what's going on.

Part 10: "It's a Fish" | Fortress of Shadows: Jambastion - Western Outer Wall, Sector B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87PixJxgbRs

Part 11: "Some Dangerous Shitbitch" | Fortress of Shadows: Jambastion - Inner Sanctum vs. Flamberge, Sector C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUXM7uLyOM

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact about the Jambandra Cult Mage Generals. Each one of them is named for the weapon they use. francisca which is a type of Axe. flamberge which is a type of Sword, and a partisan whioh is a type of spear. Zan Partizanne also just to inform you, did nothing for a chunk of the fight with her because you broke her drums and stunned her. (Which is done by getting water on them.)

ricdesi posted:

I never knew I needed a Waddle Dee vending machine in my life until this exact moment, and I fear I will not rest until I acquire one of my very own.

Going back to this machine for a tiny bit. The Kirby Dream Collection released for the 20th anniversary contains three episodes of the anime. One of which is the Waddle Dee vending machine episode. (Called Waddle while you Work in the English dub.)

I do recommend casually just watching some episodes casually riffing style. The show can be quite entertaining that way. Despite the 4kids thing I am honestly quite fond of the show.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 4, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I've definitely heard of a flamberge before (from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, if I had to narrow it down), but not a francisca or a partisan (well, outside the adjective for political purposes, anyway). That's really neat though! I love a good naming motif.

The elemental weaknesses in this game are SUPER unintuitive as someone who's been playing Pokémon for 20 years, oof. Water > Electricity, I think Fire > Ice and Ice > Fire? So confusing, oof.

I think we will be taking a look at Right Back at Ya! somewhere down the line, but especially with Mega Man Strategy and Sonic Shuffle chugging along, it would definitely grind things down to a halt pretty bad, so we might hold onto that for later.

And as for Zan Partizanne, let's go kick her rear end and get off this blasted space station!

Part 12: "Pretty Much Fritz" | Fortress of Shadows: Jambastion - Heavenly Hall vs. Zan Partizanne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjnDJFvMdsY

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

As far as I can understand the elemental weaknesses, it's basically

Water<->Electricity
Ice-->Water-->Fire<-->Ice

Also, Linday's worrying about 1-ups in single player mode is unfounded. My 100% save file has 180. The only times i really ever died was when you had to carry keys over gaps, because the AI is programmed not to attack anything unless you're attacking it, it's attacking you, or it's 'behind' you in terms of progress. So they won't attack those dangling spiders for love or money.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

As far as I can understand the elemental weaknesses, it's basically

Water<->Electricity
Ice-->Water-->Fire<-->Ice

Oh boy, that's gonna be easy to remember, yikes.

And yeah, I'm not too concerned about extra lives. Unless I was somehow trying to beat the final boss blind (both literally and figuratively), I don't see us dying 100 times anytime soon...

Part 13: "Lick That Stick" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Planet Earthfall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scL29HndpFo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

I don't think that the weaknesses apply to you unless you're literally using an elemental power or are the npc that spawns out of that power. Having an enchanted weapon just gives you a damage bonus. So just toss on water before Flamberge and Zan, and fire before Franciesca (conveniently Ben can provide both of those so long as he's Gooey).

And Wispy/Yggy woods only burn down if all four people hit them with fire attacks at the same time.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I don't think that the weaknesses apply to you unless you're literally using an elemental power or are the npc that spawns out of that power. Having an enchanted weapon just gives you a damage bonus. So just toss on water before Flamberge and Zan, and fire before Franciesca (conveniently Ben can provide both of those so long as he's Gooey).

Ahh, that makes sense. It's a bummer that elemental weapons don't do anything special for battle purposes, but I suppose that makes sense.

Kurieg posted:

And Wispy/Yggy woods only burn down if all four people hit them with fire attacks at the same time.

Only works for 4x, huh? That's a bit of a bummer, but I guess we just prepared for it by accident last time...

Part 14: "I'm a Blownup" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Falluna Moon vs. Whispy Woods & Yggy Woods, Planet Misteen, Extra Planet α
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIdDITv57a0

Part 15: "Current Events" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Mareen Moon vs. Goldon & Silvox, Planet Caverna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_LRtYdf_SI

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. It's a bummer that elemental weapons don't do anything special for battle purposes, but I suppose that makes sense.

No, I'm saying that having an elemental weapon does do special things for battle purposes. When you killed Wispy you only had one fire dude and 3 enchanted weapons. I just don't think that you take extra damage for having a fire sword, whereas burning leo would.

And the stacking/charging thing is explained in the pause screen move descriptions on the last page. To stack you have to jump up in the air and hold down as you land on someone, then the person you landed on can do the same to a 3rd, and so on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ricdesi posted:

For some special things you don't even need the exact weaknesses. For example with Francesica when she brings out her Water Gun if you use elec on the water it will zap her and destroy it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 13, 2018

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

It seems easier if anytime you consider elemental interactions, you just assume it's going to be stacked in your favour.
Enemy's water? Then they'll conduct your electricity easy
Enemy's electric? Then your water will short-circuit/fry them
Enemy's ice? Your fire will melt them
Enemy's fire? Your ice is cold and is also water, so will help put it out.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I am a cocknose who did not update this thread with two whole drat episodes two weeks ago before we unexpectedly struggled to get the game back on its feet.

Good news: the game is back on its feet. I'll add that update later tonight or in the morning, but for now...

Part 16: "Fly Less Immediately" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Grott Moon vs. Grand Mam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBV7BuqGxc

Part 17: "Suplex - Drop Dat rear end" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Planet Frostak, Extra Planet β, Blizzno Moon vs. Francisca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3KoPgXFHk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like how during the victory dance everyone gets a turn to left shark it up.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I like how during the victory dance everyone gets a turn to left shark it up.

Don't we all need that fifteen minutes of Left Shark in our lives? What's interesting is that it looks like only three of the team members get to shake their groove thing. I have no idea why, or how the game determines which three get to, but yeah, someone is always left out for reasons I don't understand.

So, now we're on to the next planet/moon combo, and it looks like we're running into an old friend...

Part 18: "Took Too Long to Be Smarmy" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Planet Towara, Gabbel Moon vs. Kracko & Twin Kracko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgrvr6b25to

Part 19: "You Were Our Rock" | Far-Flung Starlight Heroes - Star Lavadom, Extra Planet γ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRduwjf3Cwo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Basically each puzzle has 4 rainbow pieces, and how many pink spots those pieces fill in changes based on the puzzle.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

10 Haunting Photos Taken Moments Before Disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually have a Sculpin brewery near where I live. But it's California so HOPE YOU LIKE IPAs FUKARS