Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I didn't know you had a threat for this again. Good luck getting as far as you can before Kirby Switch comes out!

ricdesi posted:

I feel like our channel needs to come up with a term for producing too much content to the point where people have to actively choose what series to watch to make it even remotely followable.

I propose we call it a "D-lemma".

Yeah, I had this problem with Command Mission, it's a game I'm not as familiar with and I wanted to give my full attention to it, rather than listening to you guys like a podcast, but with it and everything else you guys publish I think I'm still stuck on episode 4 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not much of a fan of RTD, if it had Super Star style powers maybe. But it's just an HD Remix of Adventure. Magic Mirror is a much better game.

Carbon dioxide posted:

E: Also, can this thread get a new page please?

We're about 20 posts away from that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

In regards to your first video, do you guys plan to actually check out the Kirby anime at some point or is it too long to be worth the effort (and it doesn't help much that the show is basically 90% filler)?
The scare zoom could have focused on this and still be an equally valid reason not to watch the anime.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

So as we bring Nightmare in Dream Land to a close, I find myself at odds. This isn't a bad game, by any stretch, but at the end of the day this one honestly strikes me as being wildly inferior to Kirby's Adventure. Something about it feels... sloppier, maybe? The level design is completely destroyed by way of larger sprites and fewer tiles per screen, not to mention losing the Butter Building parallax scroll, having Kirby's inhale affect more than what's directly in front of him, and making most minibosses and bosses gargantuan.

I dunno, man.

No i'm with you there. It feels like it lost a lot of it's charm and didn't bring enough to the table. But it's obvious that nintendo can do that because we got the Super Mario Advance games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I return from my mailbox with important news my friends.

Looks like Curling's back on the menu.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

As for the puzzle pieces, yeah, don't expect to complete any puzzles. But you don't need them for 100%, just all the big rainbow ones.
If you want to complete puzzles there's a way to farm them.

Each of the Kirby amiibo give you two blue puzzle pieces when you scan them, and you can scan five amiibo a level. Find a short-ish level with it's own relative density of puzzle pieces(probably the earliest level with a switch, hitting a switch you already hit gives you a few prices) and scan five amiibo right before the end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Does completing all the puzzles actually unlock anything though?

No idea. I've been busy with work and Surviving Mars Other Important Things so I haven't been able to play ahead of the LP this time. I've only gotten as far as Jambastion: the third world But since there's only one Puzzle Piece per level unlike Robobot's Gears, I've only really had trouble finding one piece and even that one was out in the open, just underneath some very visually busy water.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure how far ahead of the thread you guys have played but
You can use your friend heart on Wispy Woods, Dedede, and Meta Knight after you defeat them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, you didn't try it out but Vividra/Paint is basically a boss killer, particularly when combined with Stone. It also has the game's only real healing move(it summons the fridge from Kirby 64)

Also: Broom has both Wind and Water element that it can add to other weapons. Wind usually adds some additional functionality. And you can add elements to Bomb.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 25, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cook, Crash, and Mic all have special attacks that happen if you hold the button down and let them charge. Also Parasol is water element.

Also seconding the point that you should check out the power list whenever you grab something new, It'll tell you what friend ability and combos it has and some of them are really esoteric. Usually the ones involving stone.

e: Also the game just got some free DLC that will probably make Rick very happy.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 30, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

SURE DID!

So from my experimentation with the AI. Marx is a "Weapon" and can be buffed by elements accordingly. Gooey and the Animal buddies have multiple different Elements that they can use for combos (Gooey's tounge is water, his dashing attack is fire, Rick has Fire, Coo has Air, Kine has Ice) notably both animal buddies and Gooey can subsitute in for Rock in the various combo attacks that require it. (Rick Curling is pretty hilarious looking, by the way)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The music you recognized and called out was from Kirby 64.

I did some more experimenting, Turns out Rick, Kine and Coo can give weapons fire, wind, or Water. (Down+Attack as Rick turns into Kine and you flop on the ground ineffectually splashing water around). Also both Rick and Gooey have unique rock painting statues. Also the issue you ran into with Birdon not being able to toss Rock Kirby around is that you can only do curling with anything that makes water, ice, or specifically the sweeping motion of clean.
Because it's a broom.
Yup.

Another thing you guys should try is stacking up on top of each other(Hold down when you land on a friend) then hold L+R and release them at the same time.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 31, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm waiting for the moment they accidentally use paint on gooey while he's in rock form and have no idea what's going on.

e: I AM A PROPHET!

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 4, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

As far as I can understand the elemental weaknesses, it's basically

Water<->Electricity
Ice-->Water-->Fire<-->Ice

Also, Linday's worrying about 1-ups in single player mode is unfounded. My 100% save file has 180. The only times i really ever died was when you had to carry keys over gaps, because the AI is programmed not to attack anything unless you're attacking it, it's attacking you, or it's 'behind' you in terms of progress. So they won't attack those dangling spiders for love or money.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Oh boy, that's gonna be easy to remember, yikes.

I don't think that the weaknesses apply to you unless you're literally using an elemental power or are the npc that spawns out of that power. Having an enchanted weapon just gives you a damage bonus. So just toss on water before Flamberge and Zan, and fire before Franciesca (conveniently Ben can provide both of those so long as he's Gooey).

And Wispy/Yggy woods only burn down if all four people hit them with fire attacks at the same time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. It's a bummer that elemental weapons don't do anything special for battle purposes, but I suppose that makes sense.

No, I'm saying that having an elemental weapon does do special things for battle purposes. When you killed Wispy you only had one fire dude and 3 enchanted weapons. I just don't think that you take extra damage for having a fire sword, whereas burning leo would.

And the stacking/charging thing is explained in the pause screen move descriptions on the last page. To stack you have to jump up in the air and hold down as you land on someone, then the person you landed on can do the same to a 3rd, and so on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Basically each puzzle has 4 rainbow pieces, and how many pink spots those pieces fill in changes based on the puzzle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Now, in beating the main campaign of the game, we've unlocked a bunch more stuff to do! Buuuut, as we did with Planet Robobot, we're going to leave these extra modes for later (when we make it back to the end of the Kirby series).

I.. uhh, would suggest going back into the game at least to beat the last Extra Planet right now, it unlocks after beating the final boss and is separate from the extra game modes. It's something pretty amazing.

To clarify the weirdly named modes. "Guest Star Allies" is the Metaknightmare mode except you get to pick any single ally to play as (You can still make friends with hearts) and after you beat it once you can play it as the dream friends. Ultimate Choice is the boss rush mode and it of course has a super secret final difficulty above the highest one if you keep pressing UP.

Also when you do get around to fighting void termina again, if all four of you charge up a shot and release it at once you fire a gigantic laser that instantly destroys that specific eye.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 8, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I see you went back and played through extra planet Omega, but didn't comment on the joycons. So either it doesn't happen in multiplayer or you guys couldn't hear it due to your setup.

But when the music cuts out and the statue rises up out of the ground. This happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDe0-8rO6hs

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chilly using frost on your bomb might have screwed it up, or it doesn't work in multiplayer. I'm not sure, but it works in every controller configuration except for "you are playing using the controllers physically attached to the switch."

That Air ride video is giving me a sensory overload, I have no idea what's going on or who is doing what, and that control scheme seems horrible.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 17, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh by the way. Star Allies is getting yet another free update next Friday, adding Daroach, Mirror Meta Knight, and Adeline & Ribbon(Team similar to the DL2 animal friends) to the dream friends list.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can't wait for Squeak Squad because it's an amazing game.

Also you're LPing ZX and ZXA. It's like Good game christmas in July :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So, Trip report/reference for when you guys get back around to star allies

Ribbon:Has access to "paint" element, and can provide frost and lightning through her boss summons of Krako and that blue dinosaur dude from DL3. Otherwise is fairly underwhelming.
Dark Metaknight:Metaknight+++++++++ Utterly broken, can accept all the elements that sword can, also has street fighter style inputs to do even more broken poo poo
Daroach:Can provide ice, lightning, and fire. Can also do cut and hammer through his summons. Is very very fun to play.

edit: and I've got a good news/bad news out of Ben's nightmares for you.
Good News:Dark Metaknight's Guest Star Allies run has multiple sections that are giant Metroidvania style puzzles and more direct references to Amazing Mirror, progress down this leg to get wind, go someplace else to use wind, explore around to find a switch, etc.
Bad News:If you want to fill out the audience in guest star allies now you need to beat it with literally every, single, ally. You know, 33 times.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 30, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And sometimes it takes them a while to get around to posting in the thread, and REDACTED isn't one of the best games to go into completely blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I found a commentaryless version of the final world if you want to get your daily dose of tinny NintendoDS Screams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwa-5szOrXs