Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yes I would like the hot Waddle Dee, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I wonder if a good drinking game will be to drink every time they kill an enemy Rick wants to suck up.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You mean besides the lovely art that people put love and work into?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's actually really sick, and I'd go into more of an Air Ride love effortpost if I had the time, or if people actually want to see it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

So, why do so many people consider Kirby Air Ride a masterpiece? And why is it so hard for new players to get a handle on? What a question indeed.

The best thing I can do is talk about my own experience with it. Back in the early days of the Gamecube, both me and my friend owned one. But I didn't get many games for it - I had stingy parents that thought video games rotted your brain, so I only got them for birthdays or Christmas. It was at his house that I mostly played Kirby Air Ride. While it was a basely fun experience to start, what really shone was our competitions in the City Trial sub-mode (which really, should be considered the main mode). We would play the game together for afternoons at a time, and I longed for it when I was not at his house. Eventually I managed to borrow the game and play it for myself - completionist that I am, I checked off every box for all three modes after some work, and that really spurred my later tendencies for Kirby games.

But why is it so fun? I say because City Trial in particular is a mode that's unpredictable, and doesn't get old fast. You never know if you'll run into a machine that you know you like - will you take a risk with something new? Will you stay on the reliable but kind of sucky Compact Star? Or will you search for the parts to make the legendary Dragoon and Hydra? What kinds of powerups will you find, and what will you do with them? Stay away from other players, or hunt them down to steal their powerups by destroying their machines? How strong can you really make your machine? And will it even be useful in the final game after all? All these and more are the key reasons why City Trial is so unpredictable and why it's so much fun for me to go back to even to this day.

Now, in regards to the somewhat unorthodox control scheme, I'd say that it's simple because it's Kirby. Kirby's always been about the simplicity, and it really doesn't need you to know much in order to race its tracks or explore its map. Bumping off of walls, going onto rougher terrain, screwing up charge boosts, they don't hurt you all that much compared to something like Mario Kart. Sure, it could be a little more robust, but it doesn't really need to be. You say, why did they make it only the A Button? I say, why not?

The key to playing effectively know is to know exactly what A does. And what it does, simply, is make you touch the ground. All machines (except for wheelies) float slightly above the ground, and pressing A makes them touch down, which is what "braking" is. Holding A for long enough will charge up a boost, and when you release you get a little boost of speed. So basically, you want to treat those boosts the same way you would power sliding in Mario Kart - hold it as you approach a tight turn, and release it once you pass the threshold. Pressing A will also activate switches below you - since, of course, you aren't TOUCHING them (unless, again, you're on a wheelie). It also swallows enemies nearby, but the button is very responsive. All you need is the slightest tap, and you won't even slow down while you're doing that. This is also important to realize when gliding. Since pressing A makes you touch the ground, pressing it while in the air will make you soar straight downwards. Incredibly quickly. It can be an effective strategy, but it's also easy to just press it by accident, which I believe has happened once or twice.

I suppose, since people expect racing games to be in a standardized format in 2018, that's why it's a bit hard for newer players to get a handle on Air Ride's experimental nature. But that's okay. All it really takes is more practice, and you'll eventually get the hang of the little intricacies. And I really, really recommend you play more City Trial. You have the rare opportunity to play it with humans, something that is unfortunately very hard for me to do nowadays. I have so many good memories of it, and I want you to all look back on this game fondly as well. It's not perfect, but it's a solid experience that I don't think should be considered a roadbump in Kirby's sidegame adventures.

(sorry for the essay)

EDIT: Oh yeah and the music is fantastic, just throwing it out there.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 25, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Justice for the Swerve Star, the One True Way to achieve checklist blocks.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Ah, you got this. Let's just say that if you want to 100% this game live on camera, there's a certain thing you get for beating the game that will make it much much much easier.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It makes sense. After Star Allies, you can get kind of spoiled on actual decent AI for companions. It was definitely an afterthought in this game. (Though Star Allies wasn't perfect either, usually when it comes to being crushed by environment.)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Apparently the basics of CQC are to spam long-range projectiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hey I'm in that tournament and hopefully not pictured is how tilted I got.