Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Larryb posted:

Near as I can tell, unlike the other recent games where the MacGuffins collecting the puzzle pieces just unlocks bonus art to look at and has no bearing on the actual game at all (you're welcome to grab them but it doesn't make much difference if you do), however finding the switches hidden in the stages can unlock extra stages to play. You can also drop abilities just by pressing the " - " button.

:ssh: They're all using single Joy-Con, which can only drop with the Hold Y method.

As for the puzzle pieces, yeah, don't expect to complete any puzzles. But you don't need them for 100%, just all the big rainbow ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Oh yeah, it's not so much of an issue now, but going forward it would be a nice touch to read the pause menu bios for the bosses you face. Some can be pretty meaty. Especially each of the parts of the final bosses.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I believe there's a really convoluted way to transfer control. Basically P4 would have had to hold Y to become a CPU, and then another player could take control of that now-CPU character. Also it's drat unfortunate that Gooey taking the dream rod caused him to immediately become the guy it selected!

Also fun fact about Plasma: you can now shake the joy-con to charge instead of mashing the d-pad. Nice quality of life improvement

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 30, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Kurieg posted:

The music you recognized and called out was from Kirby 64.

I appreciate how this has zero dislikes over 8 years of existence. Kirby fans are the greatest.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Small QoL tip for jumping from dream palace to dream palace if that's a thing that needs to be done again: you can press Y to access the stage list and then select levels from there to warp to them instantly (loading screen permitting), including across worlds!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

10 Haunting Photos Taken Moments Before Disaster

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Important note: R is also mapped to A in this game, allowing you to pretend you're using other buttons! Also, I believe you can press Z to discard a copy ability.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Yo, looks like the latest two videos are still the ol' grind to unlock stuff. Personally, I'd really like to see some city trial with four of you all having a great time destroying each other. From what I've played at home with friends, it's the definitive experience for this game. All you really need unlocked for the full experience are the vehicles, so you're pretty much set there.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

ah shucks, looks like today's was the last one. I guess nobody else told you, but you can change carts and not lose your stats. Sometimes you drop stats upon mounting the new vehicle, but you can always reclaim them.

e: Well, when a star is killed, then a lot of stats drop from that lmao. Not all are gone, though. It did give the impression that you were back to square one unfortunately

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 24, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

This is probably my actual favorite Kirby game so here's some tips that I remember if you want to spoil yourself:

Doors can have either a small or large star. The latter are guaranteed to be 2-way doors, so you can come back where you came from. The switch palaces unlock 2-way doors back to the hub in Rainbow Route as you saw.
The map treasure you got in area 2 is a thing for each "world" including world 1. Most worlds have it obnoxiously hidden instead of handing it to you like world 2 did. It lets you view the nice high-resolution map that shows the paths between rooms.
Gray star blocks can be sucked towards you as seen in the tutorial. There's also a larger variant that makes good use of the friends feature... assuming you can make their AI cooperate.
Those little statues of the "pineapple" are copy pedestals like in Super Star, but they don't overwrite your ability if you already have one.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure the comments section will be quick to point out anything you miss lol. Was really fun to see you guys react to the new enemies; a lot of them will return in Squeak Squad, another awesome Flagship game. Exciting stuff!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Alxprit posted:

Ah, you got this. Let's just say that if you want to 100% this game live on camera, there's a certain thing you get for beating the game that will make it much much much easier.

I wouldn't be surprised if beating the game is all they intend to do. It's already tough enough to seek out the local boss without accidentally finding a goal instead. But yeah, that reward is pretty OP.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Peppermint Palace probably has the most obnoxious layout in the game. Might be best to hold off on 100%ing it until you best the game (there's only the radish ruins' boss and final boss left in the way of that!)

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Say, what's the plan for Canvas Curse? Are you going to try with a mouse? Because that sounds abysmal if that's the case...
personally I use a drawing tablet; maybe among the bunch of you there's one in the house?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Just a heads-up to save a mighty headache of unnecessary exploration: the switch palaces are in levels 3-1, 5-1, and 7-1! I assume you're trying for all the medals at least, a pretty good endpoint (although there is even more bonus content that fills up the 100%)
For the Kracko minigame, you can tap on blocks to weaken them and detonate the bombs from afar. The level 3 difficulty of the minigame also has a super secret in it, but you'll probably be too busy trying for a good time to find that!
The next level is called Arange because... well, it should be pretty self-evident in the future when you see the names of the other worlds

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 26, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

Iirc Canvas Curse actually has somewhat of a following. I dunno why, I thought it was a flatly okay game.

In terms of speedrunning it's one of those games that get broken wide open with TAS capabilities. pretty spectacularly so

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ok, since you've finally sensibly given up on that abomination of a medal, i'm gonna say that you can 100% cheese it with an unlockable character that you have the chance to purchase after beating the game.
e: oh, hold on, you've actually gone and done it!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

ZeButler posted:

At least you're onto better things, now! Squeak Squad is really good, and my favorite DS Kirby (partially because every other Kirby game on the DS was gimmicky trash).

Kirby Super Star Ultra ):

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The comments have been spamming this for days, but is there any specific reason you aren't doing 2-player? It's been available for every stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The adventure mode alone will be 40+ episodes if you full clear all the submaps I bet. It's obscenely robust. This is going to be epic