Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

I'd like to propose a rule saying that every post complaining about cheaters has to include a deathcam

I think a good number of 'cheaters' are just high-skill players being matched against average players due to the game's genius matchmaking system, but it's silly to ignore that there are alot of overt cheaters pulling off near-impossible tricks on a pretty regular basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Look, man, either no one is cheating or everyone is cheating. Which one is it?

A moderate amount of people are cheating, I suspect due to their knowledge that the game has a hacker infestation people are too eager to label legit kills from players much better than them as aim-botters (which is a genuine issue in itself)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

credburn posted:

If this new map were in a continuous state of snowing, that would make a good excuse to have footprints fade away.

Sounds like a good way to get the prissy playerbase to mass log out any time the map comes up

e: FREE FOG MAP

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Getting down to the final circles with 35 people left alive and the island suddenly going from a ghost town to a genuine battle royale was fun as heck

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Carecat posted:

We've had no content except cosmetic crates for three months, having a weekly game mode would be nice.

With the game having been out of early access for three months now it's becoming absurd they're still dealing with server issues and common gameplay bugs, let alone failing to introduce basic features similar games have such as different gameplay modes or level select. You'd be forgiven for not realising it was the number one selling game on steam last year by a massive margin.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One of the most successful multiplayer games of all time should have the resources to bugfix and develop new content at the same time. At the very least they shouldn't have the nerve to start flogging pay-to-open loot boxes whilst content updates are borderline non-existent. They haven't even given a roadmap towards custom games yet when the game is three months out of official release, meanwhile Fortnite is showing PUBG up with content updates on a blindingly fast release schedule by comparison.

As for level select, it would help if Miramar wasn't a poorly designed wasteland with poverty loot tables, but the community is large enough that even is 75% only picked Erangel queues would still be fine for Miramar.

The longer this goes on feeling like an Early Access title despite the massive windfall Bluehole's received the more jaded people are going to become, there's really no excuse for the game still being such a barebones package with so little even outlined in the near future this long after release.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There are elements of Miramar's map design that work to its credit, but I cannot forgive it for having loot tables that make it an ordeal to even find a full set of level 1 gear in the first few minutes over most of the map

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll give it to Bluehole it does seem to be difficult to design a map which avoids the open death-plains of endgame Erangel without the hostile geography of midgame Miramar, before I got used to Miramar and began to feel its flaws it was a huge novelty for the average final circle to not just be an open field or gently sloping valley with minimal cover

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

The 4x4 map seems like a dumb idea.

You need a map with enough space that people can spread out a bit initially, but not so big so that people can still cover distances without too much trouble when needed.

This means that:

The start is not a total crapshoot with everybody landing in the same place (though you can still land in a hotzone if you want).
The mid game isn't an awful ball-ache to get where you need to go.
The end has enough options of areas to finish in.

They lucked into all of this with Erangel with about 32sq km of land area.
They hosed up Miramar by making it too big and spread out and making driving over the awful terrain too lovely.
They'll gently caress up the 4x4 map by it being a crapshoot at the start and always ending in the same 3 places.

I don't think Miramar's terrain is an issue for the most part, it's just that finding a vehicle is way too unreliable and the vehicles unique to the map are loathsome pieces of poo poo drastically inferior to their Erangel counterparts

If they just made a garage for Miramar and placed them liberally across the map's extremities it would already be a massive improvement, and if they made the Canyonero not a piece of poo poo even better

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

It's the terrain combined with the lack of vehicles combined with the shittiness of said vehicles. You can loving hare across most of Erangel in any of the vehicles available apart from random terrain glitches, and there are a good number of vehicle spawns in many parts of the map. Being able to do this gives the game a sense of both pace and urgency.

There are areas in Erangel it's unwise to drive through (e.g. ruins) but they're the exception and are easily avoided. There are also things you need to get around like the Yasnaya to Georgopol river, various bumpy fields, trenches, trees, hills, to make it so that it's not too laughably easy to scream across the map but it's at a good level. If you want to get anywhere fast in Miramar then it's roads or bust almost. That might be more realistic but it's not more fun.

I don't think making vehicle travel harder is necessarily a bad idea and occasionally deciding whether or not to play it safe on the roads or go cross country can be an interesting strategic decision on Miramar, as opposed to being a no-brainer across the vast majority of Erangel, Bluehole just completely overdid it by making everything about driving awful on Miramar.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 15, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Make it so you can't join a new game until the one you died in finishes. That'll teach people not to be bad real quick.

This is the worst idea I've ever heard

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Mash posted:

You desperately need to drop school and Hacienda/Pecado 30 times in a row

Those drops are an acquired taste, it's several minutes queuing for a deathmatch where you've got a good chance of dying before you even have a loaded weapon in your hands

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dropping Hacienda/School is a dice roll on whether you'll even get a chance to fight before being gunned down.Unless you actively enjoy RNG brawls I'd say it's better to learn dropping at nearby major settlements where you have a reasonable chance of getting thirty seconds looting done and having a gun in your hand before you run into anyone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've only ever got the one solo queue chicken dinner, but it was a beast mode game where I got 9 kills exclusively with short range M16 burst fire. It's been downhill ever since ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Taking everything from a crate and then camping it for free kills is extremely my poo poo.

Also the more I play the more I think I’m handicapped by my keymap:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads
left/right mouse = forward/back

It seems like there’s a bigger penalty than in a lot of other FPS to not being able to toggle ADS or aim on the fly extremely quickly. I’d relearn the default bindings but I’ve been playing FPS’s this way since my dickhead friend showed me Quake and had his setup bound like this. So I guess I have keybinding herpes. But it’s been 20 years so gently caress if I’m changing.

Counting the days until Bluehole finally patches in mouselook ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope one day PUBG can match the lofty heights of an entirely free, joke April Fools game and include a firing range mode

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I keep getting the urge to redownload this game and play it again for old times sake, but every time I check the ground to see how it's doing the hacker situation and game performance seems like it was worse than when I left. Does it feel at this point like the game's in terminal decline at this point, and is the hacker situation as intolerable as the community makes it sound?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How's the cheating in Tarkov?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

causticBeet posted:

It’s tricky. It’s been an issue on and off, but is generally overblown. I’ve played 400 hours or so and can only definitively say I was killed by a hacker once or twice. Part of the challenge is there are so many ways to get outplayed in Tarkov that it’s really hard to tell the difference between someone who’s legitimately cheating vs. someone who heard you walking through the bushes 5 minutes ago and stalked you until they had a perfect shot. I believe a few patches ago they implemented a standardized anti-cheat service, which replaced their home-rolled solution, and it’s something they are accountable for and actively addressing.

Thanks for this. Looking at the blurb on their site the survival elements sounds a little full-on for me, but I'm glad something like this exists to carry the torch from PUBG

Star Man posted:

Why do we continue to play this imperfect game? And why can't any of us come up with a good reason?

Speak for yourself, I'd forgotten it was still bookmarked

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I always sucked at shooting but really enjoyed the tense urban scavenging and hikes through realistic terrian so Fortnite and Apex did nothing for me, just want to play a game where I can roll up with my friends outside an abandoned house and wonder if it's going to turn into a life or death firefight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've been playing this again with friends for the last 8 months and it is astounding how janky the game is for how mature it is in its release. Please, someone save PUBG from Bluehole

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've been really confused by their backsliding on tactical equipment, just give it a dedicated slot but make you find it in the world. It's a battle royale, that's how it's meant to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kiwid posted:

I quite enjoyed the armor repair equipment. Used it almost every time.

A bit of balancing could have kept it interesting. Never got the hate for the BCD. I never used it because the radius was so small it was within footstep range anyway.

What makes even less sense to me is removing tactical equipment but leaving bullshit like the thermal scopes in.

I uaed the spotter scope a hell of alot and it did kinda turn the game into pinging the horizon looking for targets, especially on Sanghok where it kinda breaks the visual cover usually provided by the trees. But like, if that was a cool rare spawn and didn't take up a weapon slot it'd be a really nice toy to have occasionally?