Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a way to get it to default to FPP? It keeps setting me back to TPP after every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Or the old standby, "Taiwan number 1!"

:boom:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I’ve been playing for a couple weeks now and have had one top-10 and a handful of top-20’s. Is the optimal strategy really just to camp the poo poo out of stuff until everyone’s dead, then make sure to stay inside the circle?

I’ve been dropping into cities lately to try to get my gunfight on, but I’m an old who has maybe 5-10 hours a week to play at most so uh...I usually end up on the losing end of that. The kills I do get are when some goober wearing (from what I can surmise) ski boots comes clomping up the stairs and I blast the hell out of them as soon as they appear.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Elman posted:

someone else

You misspelled Blizzard.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How on earth are you guys able to tell so quickly where the fire is coming from? I’m usually flailing around like I am the chicken dinner.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is zeroing not a thing on the 4x scope or am I doing it wrong? I was hitting pgup/pgdown and couldn't get it to change.

Made it to top 10 last night which I think is really great for a terrible old such as myself.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So here's a situation I find myself in frequently. Parachute into a city (I'm trying to learn how to survive gunfights), get lucky and kill someone/take their poo poo. The play area shrinks and I discover I need to be elsewhere in a hurry. Run around; no vehicles to be found.

Is the strategy here just to book it for 30 seconds to a minute across all manner of open space into the newly restricted play area? Or…?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thanks. Yeah, I’m not really worried about figuring out whether I’m in or out. I understand the dotted line/map and how the play area shrinks. I was more curious about the strategy in getting inside a new-but-unshrunk play area without getting killed, assuming you can’t find transport. Go as soon as soon as it’s shown? Wait until you can barely beat the blue? Change priorities to finding a car at all costs? Etc.

Seems like the easiest way to get yourself killed is to be running across a kilometer of open field, which is frequently the only way to get inside the circle before it shrinks – assuming you start well outside the circle and can’t find a vehicle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Exactly how accurate do you have to be in this game? Every time I watch YouTube videos of players their aim looks to be all over the place, but it’s headshots erry’day. In many cases the aim doesn’t match what you’d be doing if you were leading the shot or otherwise adjusting for something.

What am I missing?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fortnight is fun but man the toony aspect really turns me off compared to the gritty realism of being killed by a shrinking blue forcefield.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Squad dropped into Pecado last night. Why does that place feel like the bar in From Dusk Till Dawn every. single. time.

I need to read up on squad tactics because my goodness does it feel like a different game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Join the goon discord, it’s pretty good

do this.

also I threw in some CS:GO last night for old time’s sake. The PUBG community is a goddamn Jane Austen social gathering in comparison.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How do you check your ping in this game?

I don’t know what the hell, I was having tons of issues last night where I’d pop around a corner, see a mans, press ctrl to fire (like a gentleman) annnnnd…nothing happens. I also had a few instances of my character suddenly time warping back/forward.

I’m pretty sure my connection was flakey but I couldn’t figure out how to verify it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

3000 BP to change to clown hair what am I Cornelius Vanderbilt

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Last night I got punched to death in a corner by the guy that entered the first building with me. I ran upstairs, had picked up a shotgun and was loading it.

:negative:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So what's the optimal strategy for:

- Improving your gun play.
- Not dying < 50.
- Optimizing for actually winning.

Seems like dropping Pickle-town or School are too John Rambo, and dropping some random one-room farmhouse is too Ted Kaczynski.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i do this while admonishing them for stealing my gun over voice.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing by having voice turned off. Like, maybe I'd know where various countries rank?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

John DiFool posted:

Fight more.
Fight less.
Only fight when you must, and from an advantageous position. Avoid fighting when you're at a disadvantage.

I mean optimizing for the combination of all three, in order of their constituent importance. I mean, I suppose I know the correct answer is "it depends" or "drop somewhere semi populated, loot, and kill when you have to" but I'm just curious if there's anything else I should be thinking about.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 24, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a trick to shooting uphill? To paraphrase Crash Davis, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a fuckin' boat.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I am bad at this game. Like some gypsy curse “when the player count strikes 17, you will die. forever.”

I did, however, score a VSS in Pecado last night and an Aug/ghillie suit drop and holy crap are those both just the most amazeen weapons. I still died at #17

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Christ. I’m sitting at something like 0.33 in Solo FPP. I’d be happy w/ a KDR of 1.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Next lobby I'm gonna find out who's playing w/ speakers and also has an Alexa…

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But it is because you murder and then loot their dead corpse.

Unless of course you aren't looting them after you murder them.

By this metric you're done looting when you acquire a chicken dinner.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Assuming you have an AR and maybe a 2x scope, at what range do you usually decide to commit against an opponent?

I have this happen a lot where I’ll see a guy running at 75-200m. I’ll take a few shots and usually score a couple of hits before they find cover.

At this point I’ve given myself away and subsequently get murdered by a third party who I’ve alerted to my presence.

How is make chicken?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is anyone else having a bug where instead of being put in a game with other people when you queue, you are instead spawned way out in the ocean in the dark

:same:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone else having issues with lag causing you to pause or get reset a few meters forward/back?

It’s gotten worse for me in the last few weeks. My machine is on WiFi since it’s a bit of a PITA to run cat5 to my office.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This running towards gunfire thing is really killing my k/d ratio. Feels pretty good though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Kill the other 9 guys.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What’s everyone’s opinion on the best places to drop if you want to get into gun play after getting kitted but are not pecado, school, potchinki, hacienda?

I’m trying to up my aggression but also not play PUBRNG on whether or not I die before even getting a weapon.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I got a 15x scope and a Groza in a crate that landed 300 yards from my drop spot last night. Felt awesome.

15 seconds after looting the crate I got run over by a guy on a motorcycle

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: I have no idea what I’m talking about.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 29, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haha. I just downloaded PUBG mobile, because why not, and won a chicken dinner on my first game.

I’ve yet to win a chicken dinner on PC :(

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, I suspected something like that was going on, which explains why no one else dropped hospital.

Fun game for mobile though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sweet Christ I am bad at this game. I’m losing almost every 50/50 engagement right now.

Do you guys usually tap fire in Single or Auto mode? I’m finding one issue is that I can’t seem to get enough metal going in the other person’s direction. I feel like I’m tapping as fast as I can when ADS — usually between 50-100m — but it feels like I’m being hit by twice as many rounds as I’m sending.

My current weapon preference is: M4 > SCAR > M16 > AKM if it matters.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Got eliminated in the most evil genius way last night. Crate drops in the water, about 5 meters off shore. Another guy shows up, but I wind up losing him in a scuffle. Eventually after about three or four minutes I decide to go for it.

I get in the water and swim around the far side and…guess who’s there? Guy swims back to shore. As he’s about half way there I realize you can’t use your gun in the water. I try to haul rear end back to shore but it’s far too late.

That son of a bitch had been baiting me the whole time :allears:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Do you still instantly die if you try to vault onto a crate in the water? Could have tried to climb on top of it and get em when they climb ashore.

Interesting. I should have tried that. Though it would have required me to think about it, and more generally to not be bad at the game.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 7, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's a new season so a lot of people are playing against people who are very, very bad.

it me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hockles posted:

I wasn't aware it was ever gone? I'm just talking about selling the crates you get from playing.

Hell yeah. I got Foxhole for free thanks to PUBG and am working on subsidizing FarCry or similar. Thanks Loot Crate People!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Man I gotta figure out what happened with this latest patch. My KDR went from 0.64 (and rising) down to 0.20 currently. I feel like I’m losing every 50/50 and even getting plugged when I get the drop on people and put 5 rounds into them first. They turn around and are like “oh hi” blam blam blam and I’m dead.

Is it possible that I’m just being matched with people who aren’t terrible like me anymore? Are groupings by season or by ELO?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My rating is 1756. Says I'm in the top 15%

:psyduck:

Jerkface posted:

they squished the mmr bracket by increasing the starting elo. youre likely getting matched with an overall stronger group of people and also they changed the guns.

Yeah. It sure does feel like SMGs are better than they used to be. I find myself having a conundrum when I'm outfitted with a UMP and a SCAR, and invariably stumble upon a Kar98.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Did they also buff the mini?