Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They always patch at the weirdest times. Why do they patch in primetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Start of the business day in Hong Kong/Asia so they can have everybody working on fixing any problems that pop up. 6pm PST translates to 10 AM HK time.

So general incompetence like everything else. Got it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

opt posted:

primetime NA has the lowest player count through the day

Assuming that's true (which is entirely possible), it also the highest viewer count on streams where they get a bunch of their advertising for free? I mean half of Asia plays on NA anyway. It seems odd that it would have the highest footprint on twitch in primetime and then a lower playerbase, but stranger things have happened.

If it's just "start of the business day" though, that's incompetence. They sure make enough money to have people work a different schedule once in awhile. It comes with the territory of being a super-successful dev.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

At least that makes me feel better about all the jank. I should have been approaching PUBG as just another Chinagame all along.

When will they be patching in the ability to vomit alcohol all over some guys in-game wedding party?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I assume the bug is the one where your character randomly ends up with their viewpoint stuck at the crouch height even when standing? The only way I know to trigger it consistently (though it seems to pop up occasionally on its own) is to get on a motorcycle directly from the prone position. Which also makes your viewpoint on the bike way too high while you're driving.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I blame my deaths on hackers and lag.

(95 times out of 100, it is bad aim, bad eyes, and playing like an aggressive monkey. But the blame doesn't know that.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It was actually hilarious watching him play CS because he is so drat calm and the cs environment is ridiculously toxic. At one point he said "I think I need to be 15 to understand these people." Everyone just yelling stupid things at him and him staying so calm and just chuckling.

PUBG isn't much less toxic in its own way. :v: A guy who killed me playing squads last night died to my teammates in turn because he ran up to my corpse to teabag my character (who is black) while shouting "YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, SUCK MY COCK YOU loving friend of the family!" over voice chat, completely ignoring the rest of the game unfolding around him. It was hilarious to hear him shouting obscenities and then "aww poo poo" in mid-sentence where he got shot from behind. My remaining two squadmates even picked up the win after that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

But if I muted global chat, where else would I hear random Hitler speeches while on the plane, or the occasional hilarity of an impromptu fistfight between everyone who landed at the same compound while one of the randoms blasts John Cena's theme over global?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't they make TKing bannable at some point? :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lester Shy posted:

Got this as a gift the other day, and I'm having a blast, but do you need headphones to hear footsteps? I've been playing solo and using my PC speakers, and the game is either dead quiet or deafening when I'm in the red zone.

It's not really less deafening with headphones. If you want to hear footsteps you have to endure loud rear end explosions way on the high end of the scale.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nordick posted:

I was fully expecting my first chicken dinner to come from getting carried after dying like the scrub I am, but I ended up not only surviving but also nailing the last guy. Biggest goddamn rush I have gotten from a video game in a really long time.

I couldn't be bothered with editing a whole lot so here's 7+ minutes of me staring at hillsides through my dinky scope and shooting some dudes really badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmzovucHBO8

Congrats! Your squad is more coherent than most of mine, which consists of a lot of "I see them, they're at the thing." "What thing?" "The thing, over by the hill." "IT'S NOTHING BUT HILLS." *everyone gets shot*

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ice Fist posted:

SEE A GUY NEAR THE BUILDING *he says standing in the middle of Pochinky*

"He's directly under the Earth's sun.... NOW!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it happens all the time because people think that it's team chat

In squads last week i killed an entire team by myself because i found a shotgun and all i had to do was follow the "where the gently caress are the guns in this map???" voices

Occasionally useful for double-fakes too, where people think you've mistaken all chat for team chat. "I hear someone, get in the bathroom." *guy creeps up the stairs to prefire the empty bathroom and gets shot in the back from the other end of the hall*

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raged posted:

I'll give it a shot. Just miffed since I just cracked the top 100 on TPP OC solo I have to start again with FPP. PU openly admits 99% of hackers are from China so that means 1,485,000 out of 1,500,000 of the bans are from one country why the hell would you let them play anywhere else, but their home servers.

Because money. If someone is giving you enough money to buy multiple houses, you're just fine letting them poo poo all over your current house. Because gently caress 'em and everybody else who lives there.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raged posted:

Top 10 first OC FPP so I'm happy with that. Are the NA servers full of the Chinese horde too?

I wouldn't say "full" of the Chinese horde, but you still get at least a few a game. I mostly play in NA evenings, it might be worse during the day.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soarer posted:

I believe that's counted as a miss. Why sometimes if you get a bad shot where they're only half in your cross hairs and it feels like they should have at least taken some damage it just does nothing.

Well that explains the times I've been like "what the gently caress, I got a billion blood splatters!" after emptying a pump shotty into someone and them just taking no damage.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

whaley posted:

does this game enable to me to roleplay as a youtube streamer

Sure, just be sure you call out anyone who kills you for being a stream sniper and rant about how you're going to get them banned because you're a BIG TIME STREAMER.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you tried "China number [2+]" over and over again

Or the old standby, "Taiwan number 1!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Groovelord Neato posted:

O_O what a crazy mixed up world we live in.

It sort of makes sense. We've already established that many people get very angry at dying in a game where 99% of the time you will be among the dead. TPP is a mode where you can literally hide completely behind cover and still look around to ambush people, so they probably feel safer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i was just joshing. when i first got the game had 2 chicken dinners in the first 4 games and 5 or 6 thatt first weekend. i switched to fpp once that became a thing and have yet to get a din din in it.

it's funny seeing the gaming cultural divide too. all the top english speaking streamers play fpp but when there's chinese or korean streamers at the top they;re playing tpp.

Even on the English streamer side, I remember when FPP first came in, most of the big streamers hated it and refused to play it. People are resistant to change. Look at all the hate the new map gets from big streamers.

I personally prefer FPP by a wide margin even if I suck at it (and PUBG in general), because at the very least anybody who wants to keep eyes on me has to risk getting shot to do so. It doesn't usually help, but at least I can tell myself I had a chance.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the new map is kinda bad in that it has way too much open area and i never seem to find vehicles. the areas with actual buildings are good as hell though. the map really needed to be smaller than the original like 2/3 the size there was no reason to make a same size map.

I don't disagree with there being too much space that's pointless, but even the open areas feel less death-trappy to me than on the old map. The old map has so many places that are literally open fields with no cover where you're just going to have to run through a massive, coverless kill zone people are already camping, or just take a buggy and storm through it.

Speaking of storming things with a buggy, though: Last night I was playing 3-man squads with friends and we dropped a ways off the flight path and found three buggies in close proximity. After dicking around playing bumper cars with the buggies like retards for a few minutes, we just took our buggy convoy across the map. Whenever we drew fire from buildings, we'd split out in different directions (with no real plan in mind) and basically suicide rush them from all directions. We took out a couple squads with full-retard shock tactics before we died, and it is probably the most fun I've had in PUBG ever.

Buggy Squad, best squad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jarmak posted:

I find it easier to move up on the new map because there's wadis and small terrain features you can use to break line of sight.

Yeah, generally this. You can, in far more situations, use terrain to your advantage rather than "Walk across an actual field, good luck because you are loving dead."

The gunfights in the urban areas tend to be more fun too because there are more vaultable windows. Are they ever going to fix that on the old map?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Anyone else having problems with taking random damage dropping from your chute and also flying off of buildings when trying to land on them? It's just since 1.0 for me... I don't mind the change in the speed/angle of the drops, just seems I take a ton more random damage and also fly off of roofs that I would surely land on pre 1.0.

The best random chute damage is when it cant reconcile where you are compared to where it's trying to move you so it just throws you into a wall at a million miles an hour, killing you instantly. I've just stopped trying to land on balconies or narrow roofs because gently caress that.

And yeah, the sound is horribly mixed, I just deal with redzones and gunfire blowing my ears out to try and hear footsteps.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

fletcher posted:

Yea why wouldn't they just go the DayZ route and spend 5 years building a whole new engine???

I mean yeah you can say it's not ideal but they are the ones with $100M+ in the bank and the most popular game in the world

Such is the advantage of being in a genre with low expectations.

It does mean whoever comes at them as a competitor will have to raise the bar again though, so hey, all the better. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DrNutt posted:

Also other than that is it still preferable to keep your game looking like butt to be competitive? I am just gonna say gently caress that at this point because as long as I get more than 60 fps I am tired of my game looking like dogshit. I doubt at my skill level a couple settings here and there are really improving my game that much (other than the muzzle flash thing).

I think Anti-Aliasing being off is the main thing you still want turned down to be competitive, so it doesn't smooth out pixels of people hiding in bushes (though they're still a bastard to spot).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Drape Culture posted:

How do you deal with anyone further than 100m being about 2 pixels high? Should I be buying a 32" 4k monitor for a video game? (If you say yes, I'm citing this post when my wife yells at me)

I deal with it by getting shot by them without seeing them, and then hoping I spot the muzzleflash or just see them in whatever the obvious cover is from where I got hit from and can then outsnipe them at a disadvantage, because my eyes are loving terrible.

Usually I just die.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If they want the game to last 10 years, they're also going to need to put some of that mountain of money to knocking out the jank and the hacks. Otherwise, if it's truly a "this game could be popular for ten years!" type market, then someone else will swoop in and make a slightly-less-lovely battle royale game and the cycle will continue. Hell, if it's a 10 year market, you'd probably get a AAA dev or two in the mix.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

codo27 posted:

Trying to get my money's worth out of Overwatch and playing total mayhem thinking how much more fun it is than usual. I like fast paced action. I see all the talk about this game but I also don't like running around for a half hour looking for someone. Bad idea to get it?

Yes, you'll probably be frustrated rather than entertained. PUBG is more a long period of boredom with short spikes of intense action.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Parallel Playa posted:

I lowered my resolution and have subsequently stopped sucking balls. Come witness: www.twitch.tv/lexneville

Were you just having framerate issues and thats why you lowered your resolution, or is there some competitive reason you lowered it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nah, they lifted the vaulting system from wall collision physics in old GBA games. That's why you end up with weird wall collisions occasionally that will send you careening around at a million miles an hour as it tries to figure out what to do with you. Except unlike old GBA games, you don't randomly end up at the bottom of Dracula's castle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It should just inherit the age old title of "chinagame", having been passed down for generations as the new surpasses the old.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, these maps are too big. And I can think of a few other things that could improve the game also. I mean, if we're going to shrink the maps a bit, maybe we should lower the player count too? Maybe we could just start with 20 people, then you get all the excitement of the final circle right from the get go! Hmm, but how will you do that without all the looting? Oh, I know, we'll let people choose weapons to start with! We can call them "loadouts." Another thing I was thinking is that with 20 people, it might make sense to just put everybody on two teams and let them fight it out. But I guess matches would be over really soon. Oh wait! We can give everyone the ability to respawn quickly after death! I guess we'll need some sort of time limit or score limit to determine a winner though.

Welp there you have it, PUBG is fixed!

And yet still nothing to stop the hackers and no region lock. :thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Matazat posted:

He also claimed in another interview that he thinks wanting a region lock is xenophobic, and that "it's 2017" and we should all share one big happy server together

And yet there is still lovely netcode and they intentionally put servers in different regions rather than one global server. It's almost like he knows that's retarded, but can't quite admit it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So I tried reporting my cheater on the official channel, the support ticket tracker. I guess the email I got says a lot -- just use the in game report button from now on.

"Please, would you just go away. Use the untrackable report system so that you'll never know if we actually did anything. Because we probably didn't, that poo poo takes effort, and a hacker's money is just as good as your money. Perhaps even better!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The netcode gives the advantage to the lagger, it's some 1992 level poo poo. So yes, being a lagger on a foreign server will make things a little easier on average.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cosmicjim posted:

The 90s pretty much exclusively favored lower pings. Your gun would not physically register hits or not even fire until the server said you could. The high ping advantages are new and baffling to me.
There were plenty of games back in ye olden times that either smoothed things out by waiting for the slowest client (basically given the lagger the appearance of less lag on their end because their client was the closest thing visually to what was happening) or they just straight up made everything clientside with no sanity checking, a la the first Planetside where you could unplug your internet, shoot a bunch of people while disconnected, reconnect and all those shots would register regardless of where the players had actually been at that time.

DrNutt posted:

A lot of the US has extremely lovely Internet, I am betting they are trying to keep those people happy and playing. It's dumb but here we are.

It also helps their Chinese friends because lord knows they don't play on a server anywhere near them geographically.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Elentor posted:

Speaking of stuff that might or not have been removed, have they removed fog/rain weather on Erangel?

Yes, they removed it when Miramar was added, though it's apparently still available in Custom games and they've said it'll be coming back (in tweaked form) at some point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Magres posted:

Before anyone says "well then get an SSD," having the game be on an SSD as a requirement to have a functional play experience is beyond stupid.

Also, one of my frequent squad has his on an SSD and it doesn't matter, he gets black screen bullshit regularly still.

Welcome to PUBG development, where "beyond stupid" is our goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I like Campo if I'm dropping solo into squads, because it's far enough away from most of the flight paths that people drive there and they ALWAYS assume they'll be the only people there, so they spread out a ton to loot. You get to play horror movie villain, as you hunt them through the barracks and stuff.