Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
GOTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrmtlGpMwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I made a console thread to keep the riff raff out of this one. Feel free to link it in the OP, WBG.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844851

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Never change PUBG. Never change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tSstBV9oU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Tony Phillips posted:

Very important question that I'm just going to test out anyway....

If you jump from the plane over a hot spot where a lot of people jump, and then pop your chute immediately so you take the slowest route down - what are the chances that you get shot out of the air? Cause that's what I want to have happen.

Depends on how hot the spot is. If it's somewhere crazy busy like school/Patron everyone will be too busy trying to kill the threats on the ground to care about you until you land. If it's less intense on the ground, you'll definitely get shot out of the air once someone notices you.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
3 out of 6 NA Duo TPP games so far today have ended like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBaznBHccYM

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

a mysterious cloak posted:

Am I literally the only goon playing this on the Xbone? I mean, console LOLs aside.

No. There are a handful of others who insist on playing PUBG on Xbox. I made a thread for them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844851

Edit: Had one of the least eventful solo matches I've ever been in yesterday. Dropped in the middle of Los Leones on a plane path that was straight N to S down the center of the map and zero other players jumped there, somehow.

It was also in the first two circles so I hung out and looted the whole drat city figuring people would come to me at some point, but they never did.

Eventually I was forced to venture out of my city and still never ran into anyone until it was down to me and two other players...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3vFm1PPac

I guess that last guy was standing right at the edge of the blue and after I shot him in the face he backed up into it and died immediately, robbing me of a kill. Sad.

No idea why the sound failed to record for the first time in history, either.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 9, 2018

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

VulgarandStupid posted:

People keep saying the angled is better but since there’s no horizontal recoil on the first 6 shots, I like the vertical more.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Before I ever looked at the recoil reduction %'s that have been published, I always went with the vertical grip. Then I saw that the angled one had some huge % reduction on horizontal recoil and switched to that since more reduction = better, duh, but it really didn't feel any more accurate on the M4.

Now I'm back to using the vert grip on the M4 when I have the option. Just feels better.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Elman posted:

Does anyone else get really weird lagspikes when running into an enemy or getting shot? I mean stuff like this.

The game just randomly chokes from time to time, usually right around the time I get shot. It basically kills any chance I might have of reacting, and it happens often enough to be a pain. I think it only started after last patch?

This poo poo just started happening to me last night. My guess was that it had something to do with me enabling and messing with the new GeForce shader things that I turned on after reading about it here since I've never had it happen before and nobody else in my squad seemed to have it happen to them.

Everything would be running 100% fine until I started taking shots and then it'd be massive choppyness until I was dead.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I love the first few days after a season reset.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

trip9 posted:

I'm having the same issues and I promise it's not computer related. For me it occurs maybe 1/6 of the firefights I get into, and it's basically a guaranteed loss. Very frustrating.

Do you have any of Nvidia's post processing effects turned on?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That's why you carry the Kar for the stationary targets and the M4 for everything else.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Rex-Goliath posted:

Has anyone else played 8-mans yet? What's it like?

It's interesting. I only played it on the test server with a group of randos, but they were surprisingly coordinated and we pulled out a dinner.

Having 6 vehicles caravaning across the map is pretty entertaining.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Groovelord Neato posted:

do even the highest loot areas have enough for 8 people. getting kitted out must be nightmarish.

8-man squads also increases the spawn rates of rifles by 2x, so it's really not that bad. Just drop in a prime location, kill the one other team that drops there with you, and you're pretty much set.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Love it when things go exactly how I planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqlJLQr7jPM

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Hypnolobster posted:

The real solution is to drop more .45 so I can keep running around and chainsawing nerds in half with the Vector and an extended mag.

Best use for the tactical stock.

I don't like being forced to use a vector, but it's pretty useful when people throw themselves at you on the mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRVP-F-aMU

Watch until the end for the LOL ending because I'm a dummy and waited too long/went the wrong way.

Edit: In other news, whatever Bluehole's doing to combat the hacking (ping/region locking, not having employees leaking source code to hackers, etc.) seems to be working.

I go back and forth between FPP and TPP because I enjoy both and have different groups who have a preference for playing one or the other, but I played the vast majority of my games in Season 2 in FPP mostly because 90% of the TPP games ended in ridiculous hacker deaths, but in Season 3 I played something like 200 TPP rounds and ran into an obvious hacker maybe once or twice. Big improvement.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 27, 2018

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
My favorite is the "all I have is a pistol/shotgun/uzi so there's nothing I can possibly do to help you right now!!" response.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Get on my level goons.

The one time the game randomly put me into an AS server match last season.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

SalTheBard posted:

Where do you go to check your PUBG rating?

https://pubg.op.gg/

Much easier than doing it in-game.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Today me and my 2 squad mates dragged a random pubbie who has played nearly 500 rounds of this game between this season and last season, and has had 0 wins ever, to his first dinner. He didn't contribute much, but he at least followed directions and wasn't completely useless, so it felt good getting him the first win on his record.

I just don't know how you can play 500 squad rounds (I'm assuming all as a random pick up pubbie) and have a 0.1 KD and just keep chugging along. I play with a regular handful of guys who hover around 0.5 KD and never seem to get any better, but at least they're always playing with a squad of people they know IRL and get a decent amount of wins for their efforts, but no wins in 500 rounds and a 90% chance you're going to die in the first fight you get into is rough.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Quick hacking?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, the cheating situation has improved tremendously over the last few months, at least on the NA servers.

I've only run into blatant hacking deaths two or three times in the last two seasons (hundreds of rounds), whereas in the prior seasons it was like 25% of every TPP game ended with some dude mag dumping an SKS into your face from 600m away in 0.1 seconds.

On one hand, this is good because gently caress dying to hackers. On the other hand, this is bad because my group of PUBG friends are lunatics who prefer playing TPP over FPP and when the hacking was rampant on the TPP NA servers I could at least use that to force them into playing FPP.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think a K/D is that useful when determining whether to listen to someones advice.

Play styles have just as much effect as knowing which guns to use.

Sure, but I'm not listening to any advice given by someone with a 0.25 KD, for reasons that are hopefully obvious.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's the current "best" audio settings, assuming you're just using basic onboard sound and W10?

Here's what I've got right now:
Windows:
Bass Boost: Off
Virtual Surround: Off
Room Corrections: Off
Loudness Equalization: Off
Spatial Sound: Off

PubG:
There are...no relevant settings in the game?

Safe to assume you're using headphones and not some monster playing through speakers? Are your headphones stereo or 5.1/7.1? Do your headphones have software that overrides the windows settings?

All of that matters if you're looking for audio setup advice.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Accretionist posted:

I cannot figure out how to aim with a crossbow. Can't discern travel time. Can't discern arc. I've gotten a few kills and it feels like an RNG thing.

The bolts travel faster and drop less than most people are expecting. The bolt basically goes perfectly straight for the first 100m, which is the primary dot on the reticle. Point dot at head > fire > kill. Don't put any kind of optic or scope on your crossbow because it messes with the trajectory of the bolts.

This event is so much more fun than the last dumb one with the crate guns and L3 armor.

The end came down to me vs. a team of 3. ::getin::

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Apogee15 posted:

This is wrong. If you aim at someone's head at 100m, you'll be lucky to hit their feet. It goes straight up to about 30m, at which point you will start wanting to aim slightly above the head.

At 100m you should be using the 3rd dot to aim at people. At 50m you use the second.

Sorry, I meant 50m for the top/primary dot. The rest of my post stands re: the trajectory and drop on the crossbow.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

B-Mac posted:

This is why the game is so maddening. I have the same specs as you and still maintain 100-140 fps at 1440p with a mix of ultra and low settings. It’s completely inconsistent even with similar hardware.

Yeah, I'm on a 8700K + 1080 (non-Ti) playing at 1440p with textures on ultra, AA on high, and everything else on very low. Still getting 100-140fps at all times.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Party Plane Jones posted:

The QBZ is so good on Sanhok with a vert/comp that it's all but guaranteed to be nerfed into oblivion in the next major patch. Thing is better than the old 416 was.

I'm curious what, if anything, will happen with the QBZ.

I like it better than the current M4 and WackyJacky has a good video that goes into a detailed comparison between the two guns. Too lazy to link it, but basically the QBZ shoots slower and does less damage, but has less damage dropoff and slightly better recoil than the M4, so it's better throwing a scope on and single firing, but worse at full auto spraying at close range. Or something like that.

But some of the big PUBG streamers like Shroud and Choco seem to hate it and think it's trash compared to the M4 for whatever reason, so maybe it won't get nerfed if the "influencers" aren't all on board with it being the hands down best AR in all situations like the old M4 was.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Why, why, why, does this game STILL, after one year with this bug, sometimes randomly revert back to having TPP pre-selected?

So things like this can happen when you mistakenly start up a TPP game and don't realize it until after you jump out of the plane because you were afk during the lobby...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I did this tonight, which is probably the second best thing I've done in this game after clutching against the j9/wadu squad in a 1v4 :D

Nice dude. Best I've pulled off was a triple-win.

Hard to keep that momentum going since you start getting cocky and taking on fights you shouldn't when you're on a tear like that.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm looking forward to the COD PC beta later this week and I hope it's actually good, but I'm very concerned about Activision's ability to make a COD game viable on PC given their history, because I'm definitely not playing this on console. PUBG and Fortnite have certainly paved the way for a COD BR to be successful, but it's still going to be an uphill battle to steal enough PC players to build and sustain the kind of base you need for an 80+ player BR to work.

The two biggest challenges I see are...

1) UI. COD hasn't really ever had to worry about a BR style UI for quickly looting and modifying equipment, so I hope they've really put some effort into how this will work on PC. It's always going to be clunky on a controller, but if they don't utilize the advantages of KB/M for the PC port, this could be a big problem.

2) Cheating. COD has a poo poo history of preventing cheating on PC, mostly because they're overwhelmingly console focused games, so who cares if a handful of the 50 players on PC are cheating? This game will tank hard if they don't step up here. It's still the biggest issue I have with PUBG and Bluehole has put a ton of effort and resources towards combatting cheating, which has resulted in a dramatic decline in how frequently I run into obvious cheaters.

Everything else about making a good BR game is easy enough for them to just copy/steal from PUBG.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Apogee15 posted:

I think they might be able to pull some players from Fortnite, but I think most of the Pubg players who would be drawn to the COD'd style of Pubg have already moved on to Fortnite.

The arcadey style of gameplay in the cod games do not scratch the same itch that pubg does.

Essentially none of the people in the circles I run in are at all interested in the game. Most seem to be looking forward to what the Battlefield BR will look like.

FWIW, I think this is totally wrong.

I've put a shitload of hours into PUBG and bounced off of Fortnite pretty hard, which is the same as the couple dozen other guys I routinely play games with. Based on what we've seen so far, all of us are intrigued at the potential for Blackout being a better BR game than PUBG is and have almost no expectations that BFV's BR mode will be any good.

Point is, Blackout looks way more like a rip-off of PUBG than it does Fortnite and the only chance it has of surviving (on PC) is if it can syphon off enough PUBG players. COD is arcadey, but it appears that they were smart enough to take 90% of that crap out for Blackout for exactly that reason.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah. A few months ago, my assumption was that the BF BR had a much higher likelihood of being better than COD's BR, but after playing the BFV beta (even though it wasn't their BR mode) and the COD BR beta, that opinion has totally flipped.

The BFV game play did absolutely nothing for me. Plus they delayed the release of the game and are even further delaying the release of BR mode, so I have very little faith in BF not being garbage at this point.

COD, on the other hand, straight up copied 80% of what PUBG does well and added 20% COD on top of it, and the result was much better than I was expecting. I don't actually like most of the COD-esq parts of what's in there (vehicles handle like trash, perks are dumb, looting is bad), but the base they're working from is pretty solid at this stage.

Still, COD has an uphill battle ahead of them to get enough PC players to stay with their game after their history of failing bigly with their past efforts on PC. They need to improve overall performance on PC big time (my setup gets a consistent 140+ fps on PUBG and was jumping between 50-80fps in the COD beta), keep hackers from ruining the game (never been done in a COD PC release to date), fix all of the other random bugs, and continue to provide new content after release to keep people interested.

Bluehole gets a lot of poo poo for all of their many issues as a developer, but to their credit, the overall performance of PUBG has improved immensely over the last year (both on the client and server side), they've added 3 more maps (including the training map) with a fourth scheduled for release, various new weapons and attachments, and tons of other small things that have improved the overall game since pre-release. They need to really ramp up their efforts now since it's not just Fornite they're competing with, but I'm definitely not ready to declare PUBG dead and crown COD as the new realism-leaning BR king on PC just yet.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It was locked at 90 because for some stupid reason FPS is tied to server tick rate, or something like that.

It still struggled to get to 90fps on my 8700K+1080 rig, so they have quite a bit of optimization work to do.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Also in Los Angeles and my pings are generally half of what EF sees in the same games, so it's more likely he has lovely internet.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Right, so one of two things are true then:

1) The network status overlay in PUBG lies, or
2) The poster who said all the servers are on the east coast doesn't know wtf he's talking about

Both are likely to be true, but also who cares.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Stop cheating?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I assumed you weren't actually cheating...

There was some issue an update or two ago where a bunch of people were getting erroneously banned. Maybe it's happening again. They reversed those bans pretty quickly.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Xenaero posted:

I played in a squad game with friends and we ended up getting into a fight with a squad full of other internet people I knew, and no one planned dropping together

My eyebrows shot into the roof, what are the odds of this even happening?

Odds are decent, actually, as long as your playing the same mode (TPP/FPP, squad/duo/solo, map selection) and in the same region. Just queue up near the same time and you're more likely than not to be in the same game.

That's why there are so many stream snipers for popular streamers, or at least were back when streamers still played this game.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I've played like 4000 matches of this stupid game, most of them with Ether Frenzy, at pretty close to a 50/50 split between FPP and TPP.

We've been killed by blatant hackers (headshot you from 1000m away with a pistol-type hackers) like 200 times in TPP and 5 times in FPP, but he still likes to make this argument for some reason.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Great. Now I'm going to spend all day clipping the reactions of all the bad streamers I've killed. Thanks jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Pretty cool that I'm discovering this awesome site for the first time on the same night that I created the best content anyone will ever see in the history of PUBG: me and Ether Frenzy pan fighting Chocotaco and Boomzy for a delicious victory.

Clip of my stream:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SingleOpenOysterWholeWheat

Choco's stream:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyTenaciousRavenChefFrank

Full round from my stream, edited down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJc-GEjUk0