Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
gently caress this, I'm sticking with the early access version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AppleDan posted:

This is exactly what i'm talking about. "blamed on cheats more often than they should be" "being bad at losing" "maybe I should speak for myself", there are 3 different "ur just bad lol"s in this paragraph alone. Yes the game is a janky mess, which makes it easier to cheat in it. As clear as those videos are you can still see people debating whether or not theyre legit.
Remember how it was funny to make fun of the guy who goes "hacks!!!!!" every time he dies back in 1998? It's still funny....even when there are occasionally hacks.

edit: lol @ "AppleDan"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

abigserve posted:

This is the biggest issue and why I'm constantly in this thread harping on about it. You guys playing FPP (or on EU apparently) do not understand how bad the situation is in the other game modes.. You also do not have any experience actually getting killed by these fuckwits that you can pick the cheats in these many, many replays of them.

FPP is a ghost town for hackers, honestly. I have never, not even once, seen someone post complaining about hackers in FPP aside from the occasional really obvious clip in a "look at this dickhead lol" way.

TPP on the other hand is an absolute disaster and a complete loving mess that absolutely shouldn't be allowed in the full release version of a multiplayer game. If even 50% of those hackers decide to migrate to FPP PUBG is hosed
I exclusively play US TPP and I've never once had any suspicion that I was killed by a hacker. I've played many many hours of this game. I don't go out of my way to find out though and probably wouldn't notice even if I did watch the killcam, so chances are I probably have been, but it's a total non-issue for me. I just hit play game again and shoot some more people, it's not a big deal. Surely you can reflect on what choices you could have made better even if the guy who killed you was hacking. I'd much rather reflect on all deaths as if they were 100% fair and my fault than worry about which ones were caused by dreaded hackers. Usually deaths are a result of *both* your error and their good fortune, and even in the case of a hacker, you can reflect on the "your error" half just fine.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah this is a much more zen way to view this game and life in general, and will yield much more enjoyment than wailing and gnashing teeth every time you die.

I’ve seen exactly one super blatant hacker in the 200 hours I’ve been playing this, and though it was frustrating, we just hit ready and played another. I’m sure I’ve been killed by hackers other times (just based on that ban count) but I always watch kill cams and honestly good positioning and game sense is what leads to victories. Otherwise good players like chocotaco wouldn’t have so much success.
Some people are so wired to wanting that "you win" screen that anything standing in their way will upset them. I know this and it still distresses me when I encounter them. Like I found out one day that a (good) friend would get extremely distraught and upset if, after each smash game, I said "I win" regardless of whether I won or lost. He won 90% of the time and I could take it all away by saying the words "I win". It was bizarre and I stopped when he communicated that, no really, he was actually upset. Another friend wanted to cheat at online mafia of all things - the win is literally meaningless if you cheat in mafia, it's cookie clicker literally, and that's still what he wanted to the point that I stopped playing with him. This stuff means nothing to me, approximately 0% of my ego is on the line in any game and a W or L isn't something I take personally but I'm not gonna act surprised that others don't see it my way.

I know I ain't gonna win, I just wanna have some fights and shoot some people, with long enough periods of downtime that I get that "nothing, nothing, nothing, extremely tense moment" pubg crack.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Crane posted:

My emotional reaction to hackers in this game is way different than any other game. In many other games they piss me off and make me feel like I wasted time, but every second I play this game its a new experience and new fun little unique events that are high tension. I learn something every time, they're not hindering my grind.
I think it's cause I only die to the hacker once a session. Not dominated over and over no matter what I do, getting more frustrated until I catch them being blatant.
After Star Wars Battleground (1), this is a paradise of paragons.
Yeah the game's style helps a lot - it'd be a lot more bothersome in a heads-up format or even if you were repeatedly facing the same person, but 100 player/25 team FFA with permadeath means that, pretty much no matter what, you'll notice each person outside of your team at most once.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

abigserve posted:

If you're playing pubg and you don't care about winning or doing well beyond getting one or two sneaky kills early in the game then I can see how most of the hacks we came across while we were still playing TPP wouldn't have mattered to you.

Hacking, at least on OC, ruined the game for us because you'd spend 25+ minutes playing and then the whole squad would be wiped by someone named zidai_20128309148. That's not fun, that sucks. And it would happen virtually every game. But, if you're dying earlier (like in the top 50) maybe you wouldn't be running into these guys, which was probably loving us because we maintained a top 10 rate of 57% in season 5 according to pubgtracker.

We play pubg to have fun but killing dudes and getting dinners is fun to us and hackers ruin that. It's like, you don't have to win at chess to enjoy it, but it gets pretty bad when your opponent flips the board at random intervals every game.

We're not the kinda guys that yell hacks every time we die, we've played oodles of FPP games since we ditched TPP and we've called hacks exactly once (and it was very obvious 360-degee noscope bullshit). And we're loving the game even more in FPP anyway!

I'm obviously not going to convince you guys about how bad it is, and no one wants to play with me to see for real (which is fair as it's gotta be on OC), but please, I'm beggin ya boys don't downplay this poo poo because you really, really, really don't want all these guys to migrate to FPP or the other regions.
I've played enough of the game to win a bunch and someone from my team gets in the top 10 remaining pretty consistently and still nothing. (Some of my friends like the slow play style so I mix it up.) Again, it's possible someone was hacking, but I wouldn't know and I certainly haven't died in a situation where no mere human could have killed me. If the leaderboard theory is true than I'd expect it to be worst in solo, and admittedly I've played less of that, but I still have seen 0 hackers as far as I can know. "Virtually every game" sounds crazy to me to the point of being unbelievable and I think that's what people are questioning.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Had a crazy good luck duo game last night. Circle down to the very end was in the city I landed in. Pretty sure my dead friend's body was in the final circle. An early crate landed right on a roof that I got an AWM from, uncontested. Got my first AWM kills as a result and got to the final circle. 5 were left, I knocked one as the circle was shrinking, and as it continued, all 3 remaining players just...died at once, presumably from the blue. So like, my blood pressure was super high as I'm looking for this guy's friend and then...nothing, just you win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah originally it was to be 4x4. They should just shrink by half without getting rid of any buildings.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There could be a huge indoor "city" for the house as well. Maybe you can flush yourself to get outside in a hurry, or flush grenades.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah a game of pubg is paced more like a horror movie than an action movie. Maybe there's a big action sequence at the beginning, maybe there isn't, but there's gonna be a long period of tense pseudo-waiting where you don't know when the next fight is coming, only that it is. Maybe you get to break that tension yourself, and maybe someone does it for you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is probably the most poetic explanation of pubg possible.
It's the thing that's distinct about it compared to other shooters and probably why it's sold 3 bazillion copies despite basically being titled "big joe's big shoot gun demo game".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

Why does anyone do this to themselves?

I dunno about 10 minutes, but if I get a lucky house in an endgame late circle, and it's obviously one of the best places to be for that circle, I'm often inclined to stay there, even for multiple circles if I can. It'd be hard to call it camping or "doing nothing", at worst it's "doing nothing with your heartrate massively elevated because the remaining 8 guys are out there and they all want to be where you are."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I bet there'd be good money in writing software that bypasses such a region lock and selling it to chinese internet cafes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You don't have to blame your losses on cheaters...even when someone who is cheating kills you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

say one thing for pubg, it has circles

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's probably about lowering queue times more-so than technical ability to add another box. Apparently in some regions they're pretty bad as it is with only two maps and two perspectives, it would get strictly worse with 3 especially given most people are going to play the new map. I'm sure they know people prefer erangel over miramar but this might be necessary to let squads from australia or whatever play first person miramar without a huge queue time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Hrm yes my post was entirely serious and not just making fun of the fact that the entire reason people wanted map selection in the first place was so they could stop playing Miramar for 10 rounds in a row. So it's a good thing they took away one of the few features they actually made in response to community input!
uhh okay well it's a good reason

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Those circle changes were so good that I have played very few games since they reverted the changes, since it's just way worse and now I know how green the grass could be.
Yeah seriously, best day of pubg ever so they had to destroy it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It feels bad to be pandered to, I didn't pay $30 for a game to see advertisements, even for new features of that game. It's not some big mystery why they're doing it but I still don't like it and if I could stop it by poo poo-talking the game and promoting bad press, I would.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

I am not a fan of daily mission crap. I have been teamed up with multiple people who are just trying to get that objective; TKing and reviving, driving around just to get the mileage in a vehicle, etc.

If it happens in the course of normal play cool, but when people on a squad are just in it for the grind it takes away from the fun of just playing a game.
Haha what the hell? Who would do this in a million years? The world sucks and blue hole sucks worse.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

edit: oh nevermind I misread

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That was seriously the best night of pubg ever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

lol if you're not good at real-time vector math by now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

When you queue in CS it has to find 5-9 people who share your preferences. It has a branching factor of n, the number of maps. In pubg, it has to find 96-99 people or so, with a branching factor of 2(1st/3rd) * 3(squad vs duo vs solo) * n, the number of maps. If they want to keep queue times low in all regions, let's say 30 seconds, they need 1800 people queueing every 30 seconds with an even spread. Compare this to, say, 200 for csgo. (Guessing on the number of maps)

My guess is they determined that queue times for Miramar specifically would be onerous, especially while most folks were queuing for the new map. Given that, it makes sense that they'd choose to combine the queues. It's way more frustrating to think you have an option, click on it, and have your game never fill than it is to just not have the choice in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It would be fine if you could throw grenades from freefall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

NZAmoeba posted:

Step 1) Pull pin
Step 2) Release lever
Step 3) Throw downwards
Step 4) Freak out as your velocity still matches and the grenade is floating just below you

There is no step 5.

You don't think a hand grenade has a different terminal velocity than a human? Does this mean 120 or 234? You also don't have to throw straight down. Certainly it'd fall faster once your chute is open.