Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mace and Morningstar in the same category? :confused:

Edit: Might as well post some pictures, so this isn't a complete waste of a new page. I ended up rolling another Dwarven Defender. Larry's distant cousin Gary embarks on his adventure.

There's nothing new I can say about BG1, so I'll just post the highlight reel.

Mulahey: dead

Melicamp: not dead

Bandits: defeated

Iron Throne mercenaries: obliterated

Prat and pals: exterminated

Chess fight: won

Demon Knight: banished

Aec'Letec: vanquished

Dukes: saved

Tomes: read

Werewolves: chunked

Drizzt: murdered (also, this is the highest HP total I've ever had in this game)

I don't remember what these guys actually wanted, but they're dead too.

And finally, Sarevok himself falls.

Gary is en route to Amn.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Melee Champion (mostly because I was too lazy to buy Throwing Daggers), Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, A God Among Men.

As a bonus, here's a fun little glitch I discovered this playthrough. If you free the Nymph, Ramazith normally teleports to the top of his tower. However, if you run up the stairs before his teleportation animation finishes, you can kill him at the top, come back down, and kill him a second time on the ground floor. That allows you to get two copies of the RoP +2 and the Metaspell Amulet. Not terribly useful for a solo character, but might come in handy when you're playing with a full party.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Vincenzo the fighter/thief continues completing the major side quests in Chapters 2/3.

The halfling mage in the planar sphere has hosed me over in the past. He uses symbol: stun and disintegrate because gently caress you. I prebuffed with death ward on everyone but it turned out not to be necessary because Edwin's opening cast of chaos disabled all halflings except for one warrior and the battle was immediately won.

Golem packs. How are you even supposed to fight them without cheesing? They're almost immune to magic, they hit hard and often, can haste themselves, can slow you and cast some poison cloud poo poo that deals a ton of damage.

I wanted the ring of Gaxx. The first form was triple sunray'ed, second form fell after a single blow from the improved mace of disruption.

I killed the shade lord but didn't turn the quest in because I'm already at 18 rep and the EE apparently removed the ability to drop 1-2 rep by punching random civilians, so I have to wait for slayer transformation.

I felt brave and went after the shadow dragon. I didn't buff with protection from acid because I remember its breath only doing stats and level drain, not actual damage.

So far so good. Just gotta keep hitting it with breach any time it stops taking damage.

Yay. Vincenzo has the best thief armor until ToB. Now I only need to do Windspear Hills and wait for the remaining triggers of Jaheira's interminable side quest to occur. As for Edwin, he was turned back into a man when I was forging at Cromwell's. The battle actually happened inside his shop.

Vincenzo the fighter/thief is almost done questing around Athkatla.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Not content with somehow getting out of the Sword Coast alive, Westley the Cavalier is abducted into the sequel! Mainly because I don't have $20 to blow on Dragonspear.

Imoen: Last seen abandoned in the Hall of Wonders as Westley decided he'd rather take an overly chipper halfling as his token thief. Glad to see you avoided the guards.

What...in the *hell* are you talking about, Westley? Is this because I haven't put your portrait back yet?

Minsc and Dynaheir: Last seen abandoned on a screen transition as Westley had to make room for 900 pound juggernaut Dorn. Hi buddy. Sorry about your chick.

Jaheira: Last seen *looks back* ditched in a forest for a madman named Kivan. Hey, at least you survived.

Yay, the game gives me back Westley's ice sword of whuppery.

Khalid: Last seen as Neera summoned a Tanarri, the Tanarri hit Khalid, Khalid ran around like a headless chicken for awhile, right back into the Tanarri and died. Somehow brought back here to be killed again.

Anyway yeah, let's get this show on the road. Westley the Cavalier has escaped the interminable prologue of Irenicus

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

What...in the *hell* are you talking about, Westley? Is this because I haven't put your portrait back yet?

It's because the voice set you gave him in BG1EE isn't in BG2EE. Give him a new one.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Jumbo the Shaman crashed and burned after clearing the mines.

Slimed by a Mustard Jelly while dancing.

Edit: Melicamp also died.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 21, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Suspicious posted:

It's because the voice set you gave him in BG1EE isn't in BG2EE. Give him a new one.

Or, find the voice set in the BG1EE lang\en_US\sounds folder, and copy all the files for that voice set into the BG2EE lang\en_US\sounds folder (change en_US for another folder as apporpriate for the language you want).

The character's barks won't show as text in the log, and some lines will just be silent instead because they are missing from the old soundsets (the ones added by SoD don't have that issue though) but thhat might be better for some than having to totally switch up the voices.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
A brief update for Oscar the cool Necromancer:

I should get in touch with their interior designer.

Good to know.

With Rasaad next to it, this sign is in vain.

Having a dragon be vulnerable to fire in BG1 is fortunate.

This is... less fortunate. But my skeleton army is immune to all of their headgames.

I didn't get any shots of it since I was really absorbed with maneuvering, but the Flaming Fist assault at Bridgefort failed. I had to go invisible and regroup before raising another skeleton army and slowly advancing behind a covering barrage of fireballs and cloudkills.

But now I'm off to an unforgettable luncheon with this guy

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Oh man I was just talking about ironmanning BG1 being about as much challenge as I can cope with in video games and my boyfriend mentioned this year's challenge thread was up! Really tempted to try this for the second game if I can tear myself away from Fallout.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gary arrives in Amn with a desire for vengeance and a healthy respect for mysterious doors.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the starting dungeon always feels like one of the hardest areas for a solo character to me. The Mephit room in particular can go wrong very easily if you fail to save against the Radiant Mephit's Color Spray.

Officer Dirth in the Sea's Bounty drops a free Full Plate Mail and can be killed without antagonising anyone. He's surprisingly powerful, but the fact that he prefers to use a bow makes him easy prey when you have the Reflection Shield. He's also a slaver, so murdering him in cold blood is totally justified.

Captain Dennis also has to die because he drops the amazing Boomerang Dagger. Normally you'd get that as a reward for completing the Limited Wish quest, but I obviously can't do that as a solo Fighter.

What makes the Boomerang Dagger so great is that, aside from using a larger damage dice than your average dagger (2d4 instead of 1d4), it also has two attack per round regardless of whether you use it ranged or in melee. It's easily one of the most powerful weapons in the first half of the game and completely outclasses the available bows/crossbows.

I'm not very well versed in the D&D lore, so I have no idea why snakepeople are working together with trolls to invade a keep. Or why they all hate my guts, for that matter.

Between the Defender of Easthaven and the Dwarven Defender's innate bonuses, I currently have 80% resistance to all physical damage. Even Tor Gal can't do much to me.

I know I complained about Beholders before, but the Shield of Balduran basically turns them into free exp, so I guess they're alright.

I started to get really tired of walking slowly, so I assaulted the Planar Prison for the free Boots of Speed. Owynna died in here, so I'm being very cautious.

The final fight is a bit of a mess with the Warden dispelling my invisibility and the Yuan-Ti Mages spamming spells like there's no tomorrow. It turns out fine in the end though.

Advancing to Chapter 3 and picking up the MoD finally gives me immunity to level drain.

As well as my first HLA. Dwarven Defenders don't benefit much from Hardiness, and I don't have any sources of Improved Haste for abusing Critical Strike, so the choice is between Whirlwind and Deathblow. I pick the latter, figuring that it'll be more useful at this stage than in late SoA.

Last thing I want to do before leaving for Spellhold is picking up the Gift of Peace in the Guarded Compound. The enemies are tough, but once again prove no match for the power of stairs.

Here's Gary's inventory right before leaving Athkathla. I'm really looking forward to getting that Bag of Holding.

(Also, you know you've played this game way too much if you manage to recognise every item by its icon. :v:)

Gary is on his way to Spellhold.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Westley the Cavalier begins his quest in earnest by assaulting the Circus. You want to help me here, Aerie? No?

Quayle: Last seen standing around doing nothing while Dorn murdered his friends outside of Baldur's Gate. Now a slime. Alas.

Someone picks a duel with Westley at the Copper Coronet. He has an ice sword and Lay on Hands, the other guy doesn't.

Sure my friend, sounds like a lark.

This fight is usually annoying for an early one. I lose Minsc but that's alright, I have potions...

Then the vampyre down here possesses Korgan, then Yoshimo. gently caress's sake...

That's alright, I'll just...Westley gets level drained to hell and back. That fucker robs me of like 60 HP in a blink...

And just for the poo poo Sunday, possessed Yoshimo puts a critical arrow in Westley for the loss. RIP Westley the Cavalier, arrowed by a brainwashed thief

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Mace and Morningstar in the same category? :confused:
It's an optional component from the Tweaks Anthology mod since morningstars and maces are far more similar in their use than morningstars and flails.

Now, back to the solo adventures of Rekka Bashensmash!

Everybody's always Mulahaytin'.

Yeah sure.

Not so Nimbul now, are you?

I've never killed the dog before, so why not now?

Yoink.

Not today, harlot.

Rekka Bashensmash is gonna go mining... again.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

It is with a heavy heart that I must report Oscar has fallen against Belhifet, as his 10% hit rate couldn't overcome his regeneration.

But his half-brother, George Oscar, has taken up his mantle in the Bluthspawn.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'm curious, why didn't Oscar recruit Dorn in SoD?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Suspicious posted:

I'm curious, why didn't Oscar recruit Dorn in SoD?

Due to some mishaps I was at Rep 2, so with the rep drop from him it would have gone far enough that Safana would leave the party, leaving me without a thief in a very trap-heavy game. By the time I got it back up far enough he wasn't showing up - neither he nor the shaman NPC ever appeared at the final camp. I made a good go of it with Skeleton Warriors instead of a dedicated tank, but lacked the damage to take down the big guy.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Vincenzo the fighter/thief wraps his last major side quest of BG2 chapter 2/3 (Firkraag)

Ion cannon deployed! This never gets old.

Adamantite golems can fit through doorways now? Fortunately Jaheira had ironskins up and everyone but Edwin had a +3 weapon handy.

Tazok escaped me at the end of BG1 but now he's a pile of gore, as he should be.

Hello loving bullshit ambush from hell, I remember you very well. Want to make a quick stop to clear the first floor of Watcher's Keep early into SoA? Remember these guys. They super aggro on your PC even if (s)he is well out of range. They didn't even try to defend against Jaheira and Korgan's attacks, preferring to futilely attempt reaching Vincenzo through a closed door.

Back in the city, Jaheira finally got her harper pin delivered by Elminster himself.

Then I sailed to Brynnlaw. With the help of the ring of 18 charisma, I convinced the pirate king I was insane (more experience this way) and was sent to the asylum.

Why can't you choose to drop charisma in the dream? Probably because that's what everyone would pick every single time. Ah well. Wisdom is equally useless to a fighter/thief, so I dropped that.

Vincenzo the fighter/thief lost his Bhaalspawn powers and is trapped in the Spellhold maze.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Suspicious posted:

Hello loving bullshit ambush from hell, I remember you very well. Want to make a quick stop to clear the first floor of Watcher's Keep early into SoA? Remember these guys.

Oh boy, do I ever. They gave me a huge amount of trouble on my first playthrough and are pretty much the main reason I avoid Watcher's Keep until I have a few levels under my belt.

----

Brynnlaw's as disappointing as ever. At least completely trivialising the mage with the Mustard Jelly form is fun.

Hello, beloved friend.

The only tricky part of Spellhold is running into a random lich and its friends. I can't remember if liches use Remove Magic, but I didn't want to risk anything, so I ended up doing a lot of kiting.

Irenicus is actually easier on a solo run because you only have to kill one clone while all of your allies gang up on Johnny.

SAEMON!

It's a bit strange that the best cloak of the game is dropped by a random enemy in an easily misseable area, but I'm not going to complain.

Oh hey, did you know that stepping on one of the tiles in the Drow riddle area triggers a Maze trap?

Neither did I.

RIP Gary, swallowed by a Maze trap in the Sahuagin City.

(Seriously though, how does a Maze trap kill you? I mean, come on!)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Samuel Clemens posted:

RIP Gary, swallowed by a Maze trap in the Sahuagin City.

(Seriously though, how does a Maze trap kill you? I mean, come on!)

I've been mazed as the main character plenty of times and never got a game over from it. Does this only happen to solo runs?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I've been mazed as the main character plenty of times and never got a game over from it. Does this only happen to solo runs?

I'd guess it's a solo run thing. Isn't being charmed as a solo character also endgame?

Anyway, I'm sad to report that Corbomite D. Hayes met a stupid fate in the last stupid fight of Neera's stupid stupid quest.

So, for my next attempt at iron-themed glory, meet Shaw. Inspired by the other IE thread (in more ways than one), Shaw is a Kensai who will dual into a Druid at level 9.

Yes, I used an autoroller and I am not sorry. (It didn't take me a day, though.) I know Berserker's probably the actual power option here since I'm not going mage or thief, but I've had a soft spot for this ridiculous class since the game came out and I figured, what the hell? She'll need wisdom tomes to qualify to dual class but getting two of them before she hits level nine (and probably all three, even if I have decided that XP caps are things that happen to other people) shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also going to take the Highlights Reel approach to screenshots at least in this update, since it's not like anyone needs more photos of the scenic Sword Coast.

Melicamp doesn't make it.

Arabelle does.

Mulahey.

Bandits.

Davaeorn.

And we're off to Baldur's Gate.

(It occurs to me that I probably should have tried to murder Drizzt for once since Shaw'd get good use out of at least one of his scimitars. Oh well.)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know a kensai/druid will be unable to wear any armor or bracer/glove, right? Just making sure.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Suspicious posted:

You know a kensai/druid will be unable to wear any armor or bracer/glove, right? Just making sure.

Oh, well aware. I think it's only thieves who can get around that with Use Any Item, isn't it? (I can't remember if mage robes bypass the prohibition on armor or not.)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, it's purely a solo thing. I think Maze temporarily removes the afflicted person from your party, and since the game can't continue with no one in the party, you get an instant game over. Charm presumably works the same way.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, it's purely a solo thing. I think Maze temporarily removes the afflicted person from your party, and since the game can't continue with no one in the party, you get an instant game over. Charm presumably works the same way.
Neither Maze nor Charm remove people from the party. The developers just decided to make those game-ending conditions.

It's time for the continuing adventures of Rekka Bashensmash!

Davaeornery.

Let's go home.

It's the fuzz!

I guess you really can't go home again. :(

Not sure why the restored second level of the Ice Island always has those horizontal lines across it when it's just a reskin of the Candlekeep caves, but whatever.

The utter Mendasity of this fellow.

I tried to pop in and out of the room to avoid his Remove Magic. He apparently has unlimited uses? Also he followed me through the door a couple times and killed Claire on the other side with one of his fireballs.

Much easier. Thanks, Potion of Mirrored Eyes and also all the other ones.

Liia bites it almost immediately, as always.

And it's fratricide time as Rekka Bashensmash kills her own brother.

Honors: Ironling, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Conan the Bhaalspawn, Honorable Trader, Iron Party, Battlemaster

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not a full update (I'm basically clearing up side stuff/mod stuff/TOTSC stuff before endgame) but I present:

KAHRK: A Play In Three Four Acts

Act One: In Which The Villain Reveals Himself

Act Two: In Which We Have A Special Gift For Him

Act Three: In Which...Goddammit Minsc

Act Four: In Which We Do This The Old Fashioned Way.

Epilogue (Not Pictured): In Which Finch Totally Buys It From His Rebounding Lightning Bolt. But the Iron Party ship has long since sailed, so no big.

Shaw's quest continues.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I didn't know the Arrow of Slaying could actually miss. I thought it was a guaranteed hit, like the Arrows of Detonation.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Neither Maze nor Charm remove people from the party. The developers just decided to make those game-ending conditions.

That makes it even weirder. I can see the argument for Charm, but how does Maze do anything other than mildly inconvenience you for a few rounds?

Regardless, congratulations on your victory. Undead Hunter should be fun in BG2 with its myriad of walking corpses.

----

This is probably gonna be my last attempt this year, because much as I like this game, it's eating up a lot of time. Enter Nadia, Halfling Fighter/Thief. My first F/T died pretty quickly into BG2, so I never got to experience Thief HLAs, and that is just a crime. Hopefully Nadia will have better luck.

She's already off to a great start, managing to accidentally piss off Marl instead of calming him down.

So sadly, he had to get eaten by spiders. C'est la vie.

I'm starting to remember why I never play Halflings.

Melicamp survives again (this is getting eery).

Davaeorn isn't so lucky. Detect Illusions really shines in BG1 where the only defence 90% of all mages have is Mirror Image.

Nadia makes her way to Baldur's Gate proper.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

A brief update for George Oscar, the unluckiest mage/thief this side of Waterdeep.

Bears limit his escape route from a wolf.

A second wolf blocks his route from the first.

Minimum damage possible on his first backstab ever.

Minimum damage again.

Melicamp suffers for George Oscar's misfortune.

Mulahey murdered, and Nimbul nixed into chunks.

Bandits busted.

Davaeorn destroyed.

George Oscar and his illusions are en route to the Big Gate.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nadia isn't dead (yet), but I've put her run on hold because I wasn't really feeling it. Fighter/Thief is the class I have the most experience with, and while that's obviously an advantage when it comes to no-reload playthroughs, it also means that I know how pretty much every big encounter in BG1 is going to play out.

So for the sake of variety, I'm giving arcane casters another try. Here's Mickey, the sorcerer's apprentice, on his quest to become a fully fledged archmage. Also, something about an iron crisis, I think.

Even after grinding the Basilisks up to level 5, Mickey still only has a measly 20 HP. I know Sorcerers become great eventually, but I wish he'd hurry up bit.

Though I do like how playing a low-level caster encourages you to proceed more cautiously. Solo warriors can smash their way through BG1, with tactics mostly boiling down to which potions to use at which moment. It's nice to have a character that requires a bit of finesse every now and then.

Melicamp doesn't make it (and balance is restored).

I almost died an incredibly idiotic death at the hands of the wizard in the Nashkel carnival tent. Mickey wasn't protected from fear and failed to save against Horror. Thankfully, his Invisibility spell went off just a few frames earlier, meaning he spent about a turn running around without the wizard being able to target him. I took that as a sign to call it a night.

Mickey is preparing for the Nashkel mines.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Mrr, let's try this again. Since I had so much fun with Wild Mages last time(?), it's time for Rincewind the Wild Mage to learn the color of magic.

What could possibly go wrong? Besides everything.

Through the ever dull prologue...

Past Kalah as Rincewind bravely runs away...

Let's just do this again because I am a drat fool.

Outside the dreaded tomb, I'll just buff first OH COME ON

I said I'll just buff fir...goddammit

Finally getting the party buffed without something insane happening, I beat the Vampyre up badly enough I wonder how he screwed me so badly last time. All damage pictured was from stepping on a trap.

Down here, I'll just...well that's new.

Huh. Handy.

I still use "prickmedainties" as a term of frustration because of this scene.

Speaking of, I was thinking this might be annoying since I can't cast spells outside, but apparently the Cowled Wizards don't care about a Monster Wand stuffing up the stairs. Oops.

You said it, Korgan.

Rincewind the Wild Mage has beaten a bunch of prickmedainties

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Vincenzo the fighter/thief escapes from boring old Spellhold...

... and gets boarded and sunk for his trouble.

I sided with the prince in the underwater city for more experience. I didn't forget to pickpocket the wave halberd piece from him before leaving.

I didn't forget the 3 mind flayer welcoming party in the underdark either. These guys will hit you from behind if you don't seek them out first.

The first beholder lair fight is kinda BS because you get an elder orb and beholder in your face. I megabuffed for it because even with anti-magic ray, buffs could still potentially stop a death or petrification ray from ending my run.

The mind flayer city was comparatively easy.

Gave the giths a piece of my mind and a taste of my steel for bailing on me in the last area.

Did ye olde triple cross to ruin the power structure of an entire drow city...

... and finally returned to continental Amn, topside.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There should be a special honour for completing a no-reload with a Wild Mage because drat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What I Did On My Summer Vacation, by Shaw

Okay, which of you fuckers is Melicamp?

One of the quest mods I haven't done too much with before, the Stone of Askavar. The idea is pretty simple; someone has stolen all the world's commas and you have to get them back.

It adds a couple of "new" areas and several moderately challenging fights. Most of the new locations are largely empty aside from random encounters and a single encounter with some evil adventurers. Like this cave is full of spiders, with a wizard fight at the end. You're hunting for five talismans which you use to unlock the final battle for the aforementioned Stone of Askavar, which does...something.

The stone golems are the only real threat here.

Aftermath of the final fight. Tough, but doable, though honestly the biggest reason Shaw survived is because someone nailed her with an Otiluke's Sphere early on rather than something nastier, and by the time it wore off, the remaining enemies were manageable.

We also sort out the Grey Clans mod content. Some may recall that the final fight here is what did in one of my Corbomites. Shaw fares better, but I don't think I'll play with this mod installed again; there's a really cool setpiece where you're liberating the Friendly Arms Inn (though lol if you left any NPCs you particularly want there) but otherwise it takes a bit too much advantage of throwing your party into fights when you're stuck out of formation thanks to an area transition (plus the final fight would be better suited to a BG2-level party).

Back to the real game. I disabled the pointless 'restored' second level of Ice Island that Unfinished Business can add.

This is a LOCAL island for LOCAL werewolves! There is nothing for you here!

I had to actually resort to Balduran's sword while beating up Mendas, since Shaw's scimitars weren't, uh, cutting it. Good thing she hasn't dual-classed yet.

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind.

Normally I'd loot Kiel's crypt and fight these dudes, but I'm kind of over Durlag's Tower and just want to get on with things.

The Demon Knight falls

As does Aec

But before Shaw sorts out her deadbeat brother, there's one very important mod-added sidequest to finish up.

Finch is a Hero and she is a Librarian!

Oh and Shaw is headed back to Baldur's Gate to finish things up there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DeathChicken posted:

Mrr, let's try this again. Since I had so much fun with Wild Mages last time(?), it's time for Rincewind the Wild Mage to learn the color of magic.

I don't care if it's cheating, if you get to BG2 install a mod that adds the Siege of Dragonspear items and cheat to keep your Wizzard Hat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shaw has restored balance to the Force.

Wait, no, the opposite of that.

The sewer excursion is as fun as ever, though neither carrion crawlers nor this joker are much of a threat to me any more.

I feel like the reveal of OH MY GOD, DOPPELGANGERS is a little anticlimactic after Durlag's Monument to Doppelganger 9/11.

Gosh, I wonder who this handsome devil might be?

It's insightful moments like this that make me glad Imoen's around.

Doppelgangers are masters of intrigue and subterfuge provided you never talk to one for more than like five seconds.

I assume these guys were disguised as the Candlekeep Tutorial Monks. "Click on me to DIEEEEEEEE FLESHLINGS :unsmigghh:"

Didn't get a shot of the epic battle to save the Grand Dukes but, er, we did. Hence our presence in the worst obstacle course ever.

...wait what now?

Well, that could have gone worse.

Stop exploding yourself!

And there we have it. With everyone hopped up on magic-proofing juice and basically every other potion I had left, this all goes pretty well.

And that's Baldur's Gate done with. Honors: Ironling, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If anyone remembers Nadia's mysterious death from earlier in the thread, turns out that is a known bug: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32843

Seems like it happens most frequently in the lower levels of Durlag's Tower. So be warned if you're heading that way.

----

Mickey braved the Nashkel without any trouble, Invisibility and Mirror Image be praised. The bandit tent was a bit trickier, but once every enemy had been blinded, cleaning up proved fairly straightforward.

I skipped taking screenshots of most fights because frankly, they weren't very exciting. The above picture shows how pretty much all of them went. Self-buffs + Web + Melf's Minute Meteors is a killer combo in BG1.

The palace battle was the first one that required some actual tactics, even if said tactis boiled down to spamming Chaos and the Wand of Monster Summoning.

Durlag's Tower was actually fairly harrowing. It's extremely cramped, which doesn't gel with my usual Sorcerer playstyle of spamming the Wand of Fire and running around like a headless chicken. Stoneskin and Improved Invisibility saw me through though, and the Demon Knight once again fell to his mirror image.

Aec'Letec has solid saves and magic resistance, but he's still suceptible to the Wand of Paralyzation. It only takes one successful casting to take him down.

Werewolf island is easier than Durlag's, but far more annoying. I had to lure the Wolfweres out of the ship and spam wands until their magic resistance failed, which took somewhere around half an hour.

The fight against Karoug made up for it though. I buffed it with everything I had (including the 25 Str potion) and killed all enemies except the Greater Wolfwere in melee. For him, I had something special planned.

You have no idea how happy I was that this strategy actually worked.

The Weresquirrel retains Karoug's crazy regeneration rate but only has 5 HP. A single Magic Missile takes care of it.

Final stats. If I ever make it to level 9 spells, you better believe I'm going to abuse the hell out of Wish.

Mickey is on his way to the endgame.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Rincewind continues screwing around in Amn and trying not to blow himself or others up.

Viconia, last seen still alive as Sarevok died. Sure, you can come along.

Aerie manages to get killed in the rescue effort. Well, she was probably getting dropped anyway, so.

Off to the Docks and I forget about this thing that happens. I'm diverted as this slightly gimps Jaheira's stats and I can't have that.

Luckily I remember where Ployer is hiding. Unluckily I forget to bribe away his guards, but no big deal.

Running out the door and away from them suffices. They get off a Confusion, but don't end up following me up here. Maybe they didn't want to mess with the vampire.

Back to the docks and goddammit I'm busy right now Korgan.

Goddammit I'm busy right now Yoshimo!

(Not) Montaron, last seen getting killed by Tarnesh. As many adventures have fallen.

Xzar, last seen being a dick at the Gnoll Fort and getting his rear end left there. Now dead. Good riddance.

Then I manage to go into the wrong door and pick a fight with a bunch of inexplicable Minotaurs...

They follow me all the way to the Smithy where I'm free to spell them. After Rincewind prolongs things by healing everyone.

Yeah, let's do this so Yoshimo will leave me alone. Rincewind the Wild Mage is applying to the Thieves Guild

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

George Oscar continues using his tricks to get through the Sword Coast and undermine the Iron Throne.

Arabelle: Alive

Diary: Dated

Prat: Pummelled

Death Knight: Demolished

Aec'Letec: Annihilated

Sarevok: Slain, entirely through backstabs. On to Siege of Dragonspear!

Honors
: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Battlemaster.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Looks like you got a little help from Angelo there. :v:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

No one else witnessed it, it was all George Oscar :colbert:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Lord of Murder shall perish and also his annoying lackeys in this annoying starter dungeon.

...huh. Finch stuck around. I don't think that's supposed to happen. I guess it's because she's not a core NPC. I decide not to bring her with me to Dragonspear though, a decision I will surely not regret.

I WONDER WHO THIS COULD BE. (God, I love David Warner, though.)

...HE'S A DOPPELGANGER! GET HIM!

...I miss Finch

Liches are easy! (If you have a magic lich-killing rock.)

Oh no you don't, game. You're not roping me into an ill-conceived RPG romance with someone Shaw met like a day ago. I'd sooner hook up with a grieving widow who was besties with my dad.

A rare use of advanced tactics such as "scouting" and "not just running and screaming at the first thing with a red circle" pays off.

One of these days my super useful thief who's set to detect traps constantly will spot one of these web traps before we walk into it.

...sorry, wrong cave.

Shaw is fighting her way to Bridgeport, one troll at a time.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Rekka Bashensmash is ready to continue her adventures!

Yeah, beat it, losers.

Sure, buddy.

Wait, what?

Oh. :saddowns:

Several minutes of waiting later, and Korlasz gets captured.

Time to make camp just long enough to...

Save a hill giant,

Profess my love for mid+ level Turn Undead,

And take care of a lich.

Pop into Morrie's lair just long enough to trigger her Dispel Magic (and get in as many hits as I feel I safely can), then hop back out again to buff up properly.

Wasted.

And Rekka Bashensmash has arrived at the main camp and agreed to take up a new life as a cobbler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

docbeard posted:

A rare use of advanced tactics such as "scouting" and "not just running and screaming at the first thing with a red circle" pays off.

I've found that a lot of the intimidatingly large groups of monsters SoD throws at you can be conveniently dealt with using a single Cloudkill spell, this one included. It's the first time I've ever really used the spell and it's paying huge dividends.

---

George Oscar hits a lot of the same notes other people have in SoD.

First, Coldhearth clobbered, though I was too frantic to get a shot of it right when it happened.

And Moretherene murdered, thanks to an initial barrage of fireballs from every party member followed by magic missiles. But that's enough for tonight, tomorrow I should have a full party again and get closer to Caelar's crusade.

• Locked thread