Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Handa-kun today. It was a funny series with a few laugh out loud moments but when the humor fell flat it fell really flat. It often looked rather cheap at times as well. I feel like the cast was maybe too big for a 12 episode series. My favorite gag is the series-long arc of Eraser going from a normal girl to a serial killer who defends Handa. That's all I can say about Handa-kun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Hyouge Mono. Great show, it's a deep and complex historical drama about the conflict between pursuing your dreams versus your duties to society. There are a lot of jokes and funny scenes but it's also super effective in the drama and tragedy aspects. If you want to know the true story of Oda Nobunaga you should watch this anime pronto. It has an excellent sense of setting and color and the costume design is spot on as well, everyone has different fashions that reflect who they are and what they believe in a believable and historical way. You will learn a lot about art and the secret of tea. My only complaint is that it drags in the middle 13 eps but the bookends are some of the best television ever made. There is nothing else like this show out there. This post probably seems like a crazed jumble so I will give this show a big think and come back and make an even better post, although perhaps truly expressing your emotions is the most imperfect thing you can do. Great animation, great voice acting, great writing, and one of the best uses of cgi in a 2d anime I have ever seen. If you're ever in the mood for a period piece anime watch this show next. Thank you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

to complete my toxx i finished the 2018 show that got the most votes (2, after disqualifying a lot of votes for non 2017 shows) for the retry, acca. the beginning few episodes were as dull as when i dropped it the first time but around ep 3... or 4 it picked up steam. then it began building up a nice little mystery before it dropped the ball again in the end. nino's backstory was badly done and there was as a whole way too much people narrating their plans as it fell into the usual anime trap of assuming its audience is idiots. it made the last few episodes rather tedious to watch. i don't need people to explain their whole plans if i just saw them being carried out. outside of that i don't think the resolution to the whole lilium affair was particularly well done and a lot of the final plot beats relied on the idiocy of others or sheer convenience (we found oil!) rather than any of the sort of planning that should accompany a conspiracy. the whole assassination/kidnapping plotline only worked because the agents carrying it out were total idiots and so on. it was disappointing. it wouldn't have hurt the show to have less characters either because most of them were just wallpaper. in general the show looked decent enough, but there were some major animation errors/annoying stills in the show, especially once you got in the second half.

in conclusion ive finished my toxx and i would once again like to assert that the mod should enforce them

heres a small man

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

I have 24 shows on my "on hold" list and will clear those 24 shows out either by watching or dropping them by the end of 2018

Dropping is the easy way out of that but most of them are shows I do want to finish. There are a few on there I was thinking about cutting loose though so I don't want to commit to watching some crap I don't like though lol

Mostly I'm just tired of all this half-finished stuff lingering around and I need to poo poo or get off the pot

I now have 19 shows left on my "on hold" list :toot:
it's because I dropped some I don't have any interest in finishing anymore

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Might as well be a tad bold:

In 2018 I want to finish:
Chihayafuru
March Comes In Like A Lion
Shirobako
Sabagebu
Diebuster
Yuruyuri

And Kyousougiga.

I also want to finish at least 2 shows from each season .

Guess I should give a progress report...

I'm doing fine on the seasonal front, but I've barely dented the main list, having procrastinated on finishing Shirobako for many months until today. I'll watch diebuster tomorrow too, so I'm slowly making progress. Sabagebu, Kyousougiga, and Yuruyuri I'll probably binge on the weekends as well, but I'm probably gonna need to start watching Chihayafuru and March Comes in like a Lion daily if I'm gonna finish them by the end of the year.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

toxx was to cut my follows list in half to 323 comics.

progress: :negative:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

everythingWasBees posted:

Either :rip: or time to cut the chaff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

Well, you still have October, No-shave November and December and I pretty much doubt all of these have current serialization. So, silver lining? <:shobon:>

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

3/7 of the way through my resolution. So far I've finished:

-Virtue's Last Reward, by far the greatest VN I've ever played. It managed to have just about everything I like in a VN and I pretty much played through the whole thing in one go. Fantastic story, gameplay that did a great job breaking things up, and some of the best (English) voice acting I've seen. 10/10 would play again in several different timelines with vague and inexplicable memories of the last one.

-Ace Attorney 3, wherein I discover more Ace Attorney is never a bad idea.

-Dangan Ronpa 2, which managed to improve upon the already great original. I'll probably pick up 3 whenever I se it on sale.

Dropped so Far:

-Umineko, Good and interesting, but overall was really long winded and got sort of tedious. I'll probably pick it up again at some point.

-Zero Time Dilemma, how they managed to take all that potential from Virtue's Last Reward and make this garbage is beyond me. I'd call it borderline unplayable. Puzzles were trash, the story was pretty much impossible to follow, and the characters got way too melodramatic, way too fast. It almost ruins VLR a bit just by association.

Anyway, I've got plenty of time to finish it and surely won't eat a ban this year, I say 3/4 of the way through the year and only halfway done :negative:

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 1, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So far I haven't read a single visual novel. Probably won't stick to the list of ones I wanted to read but I'll do a few lengthy ones because if I get banned I lose my cool av and have to use my shadow king powers to get a mod to restore it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

So far I haven't read a single visual novel. Probably won't stick to the list of ones I wanted to read but I'll do a few lengthy ones because if I get banned I lose my cool av and have to use my shadow king powers to get a mod to restore it.
C'mon, make my day, Powerful Spooky Punk. :twisted:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wark Say posted:

C'mon, make my day, Powerful Spooky Punk. :twisted:

We both know you'd be the one restoring my ava so you'd best take a screenshot now and also save the karen and jammy bastards to your HDD in a folder marked "namtab is the best"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

We both know you'd be the one restoring my ava so you'd best take a screenshot now and also save the karen and jammy bastards to your HDD in a folder marked "namtab is the best"
As if. You step out of line and I'll toss your sorry rear end out in about 10 seconds and I'll forget you forever in the next 5.

e: Dang, forgot one word.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 2, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wark Say posted:

As if. You step out of line and I'll toss your sorry rear end in about 10 seconds and I'll forget you forever in the next 5.

Keep this thread for resolutions, and your fetishes re: my rear end to discord

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka #33337 5/12
Baccano! #2251 6/13
Barakamon #22789 10/12
Black Clover #34572 14/0
Blend S #34618 2/12
Cowboy Bebop #1 5/26
Death Parade #28223 10/12
Eureka Seven #237 2/50
K-On! #5680 3/13
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond #34451 5/12
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series #35079 3/12
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri #28623 6/12
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season #19111 1/13
Mouryou no Hako #4879 3/13
Shoukoku no Altair #34547 1/24
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu #28735 4/13
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru #8726 2/12
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge #32093 5/12
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann #2001 16/27
Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari 2nd #32301 DONE!
Aho Girl #34881 DONE!
Cardfight!! Vanguard #9539 DONE!
Carnival Phantasm #10012 DONE!
Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai San Maku Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends #34295 DONE!
ClassicaLoid #31157 DONE!
Dennou Coil #2164 DONE!
Digimon Savers #859 DONE!
Durarara!! #6746 DONE!
Fate/Apocrypha #34662 DONE!
Go! Princess Precure #28669 DONE!
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai #31933 DONE!
Juuni Taisen #35076 DONE!
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki #3577 DONE!
Little Witch Academia (TV) #33489 DONE!
Net-juu no Susume #36038 DONE!
New Game!! #34914 DONE!
Noragami #20507 DONE!
Princess Nine: Kisaragi Joshikou Yakyuubu #1846 DONE!
Princess Tutu #721 DONE!
Sakura Quest #34494 DONE!
Stella no Mahou #32555 DONE!
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun #6213 DONE!
Mahoutsukai no Yome #35062 DONE!

Episodes left 197

19 anime remain, and I've used one drop so far for Ancient Magus Bride

I thought Black Clover would be over by now lol, I might be dropping that too because idk if the idea is to just keep it going until they run out of manga in which case it won't be finishing this year

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

actually that eps left number should be higher, mal lists the end ep count as 0 for Black Clover because it doesn't have a set end date

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Finish k-on!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

Finish k-on!

i wasn't sure which one to go to next after magic of stella, so congrats, k-on!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

actually that eps left number should be higher, mal lists the end ep count as 0 for Black Clover because it doesn't have a set end date

It has a second season coming...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

It has a second season coming...

But it’s all one entry on MAL

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Dororo. The first eight episodes are basically perfect and rank up there with the best anime I've seen. It's a thematically dense setup about class struggle, family, guilt and trauma with some legitimately well executed horror. There's a very harrowing execution montage that left me speechless. After that it sort of loses it's way for a bit, and settles into being, of all things, a dark slapstick comedy about demon hunting. The sound design even changes from dark and moody orchestral stuff to 60s fuzz guitar and horn lines. I was a little disappointed but the the back half is actually really, really entertaining. The last 7 or so episodes make an attempt to be a horror anime again, coincidentally (or not?) once the show acquired a sponsor in the milk based soft drink Calpis. The episodes are directed sort of like comedy anime but the punchlines are things like a demon-possessed horse biting the heads off of samurai or Hyakkimaru making a giant tree ballista to kill a massive rotting manta ray demon. Any deep thematic content is replaced with pretty tame things like "Dog fighting is bad" or "Food Hoarding is bad". I feel like they could have written another twenty episodes of the show in this style, and I would have watched all of them. My favorite episodes in this phase of the show are the one where Dororo, Hyakkimaru and a random travelling samurai get stuck in an abandoned village and try to outsmart hungry crows for 20 minutes, and the episode where Dororo takes a random spear in the ground and releases the aforementioned giant manta ray demon and the villagers immediately decide that enacting a daily blood sacrifice is the smartest course of action. There's also the creepiest episode in the whole show, with a monster that forces people to eat until they're about the burst so it can live in their stomachs. After they digest their food, it comes out and makes them eat again. This really got to me for some reason.

I knew the ending was rushed in the manga but it felt very rushed here as well. The twist that Dororo was a girl all along is super sudden and doesn't really do anything thematically? It's a pretty common theme in Tezuka works though so I'm not surprised it's there. That's all I have to say, about Dororo. All that's left is the last two Gundam movies.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Follow-up thoughts: In the video game and live-action movie and I think the manga, Dororo is final demon. In the anime it's someone else that makes way more thematic sense instead of being a dramatic pivot. Also even in the slapstick era there was still some class struggle vibes, nearly every demon was in some way connected to the ruling class or the military, except for the giant dinosaur skeleton with a tree growing out of it but we'll forgive that one because it was so cool.

I'm also really excited for the 2019 remake, even in the show's weakest moments it always had a really solid core idea and if they execute it right it could be really, really good. I'm a little sad it's in color though, the black and white was used to great effect, especially in the backgrounds where it created the effect that night and day could no longer be told apart and the world was stuck in an endless twilight because of the chaos of war.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

Follow-up thoughts: In the video game and live-action movie and I think the manga, Dororo is final demon. In the anime it's someone else that makes way more thematic sense instead of being a dramatic pivot. Also even in the slapstick era there was still some class struggle vibes, nearly every demon was in some way connected to the ruling class or the military, except for the giant dinosaur skeleton with a tree growing out of it but we'll forgive that one because it was so cool.

I'm also really excited for the 2019 remake, even in the show's weakest moments it always had a really solid core idea and if they execute it right it could be really, really good. I'm a little sad it's in color though, the black and white was used to great effect, especially in the backgrounds where it created the effect that night and day could no longer be told apart and the world was stuck in an endless twilight because of the chaos of war.

This isn't true of the manga at all. the manga only follow's through to the end of Dororo's character arc, where he parts ways with Hyakkimaru, who did confront his father who sold his body parts to demons, but Hyakkimaru's journey still continues after the ending-he still doesn't have all of his parts back. I like this because it really does make Dororo feel like it's just a small part of a much larger epic story (Think the Giant Robo OVAs)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Julias posted:

This isn't true of the manga at all. the manga only follow's through to the end of Dororo's character arc, where he parts ways with Hyakkimaru, who did confront his father who sold his body parts to demons, but Hyakkimaru's journey still continues after the ending-he still doesn't have all of his parts back. I like this because it really does make Dororo feel like it's just a small part of a much larger epic story (Think the Giant Robo OVAs)

That sounds way better to be honest. I'm going to read the manga at some point

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Down to 167 eps left after finishing off Kino (the new one), Baccano!, Kabenari, and Barakamon.

Honestly not sure why I didn't finish Barakamon as it was airing, I stopped on ep 10 and ended up rewatching all of it because it was so good.

Kino's last ep was extremely funny by the way. No idea why they chose sheep killer 2000 to be the last ep, especially after the backstory ep for kino right before it was so somber and scary

Erg fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 16, 2018

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka #33337 5/12
Black Clover #34572 14/0
Blend S #34618 2/12
Cowboy Bebop #1 5/26
Eureka Seven #237 2/50
K-On! #5680 9/13
Shoukoku no Altair #34547 1/24

Episodes left 115

E7 is roughly half my eps left lol, guess I'll get going on that.

Of the stuff I finished recently: Box of Goblins was pretty cool but the 2 eps that they dedicated to talking about mouryou and spiritualism would have killed my enthusiasm to finish if I had been watching normally. Soredemo had some good gags and the last ep's punchline got me pretty good. Would reccomend, but my only two shaft shows previous to this were madoka and bake, so all the head tilts and crazy camera angles really stood out.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Box of Goblins would have been better if the subs didn't decide to change how they wanted to translate the title like every 20 lines.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess we could stream E7 if I put it on my list as an apology to Dryzen...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I cut my "on hold" list down to 5 shows which are all ones I'd like to finish asap. I moved a couple to "watching" status since I've hit a few episodes of them here and there when I had enough internet to stream things, dropped a few, and demoted some that I'd need to watch from the beginning over to "plan to watch" so they didn't end up dropped or forgotten about b/c i was just using the list as a way to remember they exist and ptw is better for that.

this was never really a toxx but I did want to reorganize and cull some things so it was good to periodically go back through and decide ehhh i'm never going to finish this and just rate and drop shows rather than keeping them in limbo forever.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka #33337 7/12
Blend S #34618 2/12
Cowboy Bebop #1 5/26

Episodes left 52

I finished off e7 and the first season of k-on last month so this is gonna be ez

E7 was real good, and I thought used its length well. Ray and Charles were probably my favorite mini arc just for the alternative family that they offered Renton, but I was happy with pretty much any time they decided to head off a bit for character work. I think about my only complaint would be that it was kinda a globe trotting adventure that didn't give a lot of context for where they were at any one time? Half the eps feature them flying around so I guess it's hard to give a distinct flavor to the sky, but even when they'd visit cities it felt pretty uniform between all of them except for when they went to the Vodorac areas.

k-on was hard for me to get back into whenever I'd stop watching it. Everything about it was good, the humor was solid, it was a pleasure to watch the gang just move around or talk, there was usually at least two or three moments an ep where I went "that looked cool". But I also had to force myself to pick it back up after I'd get done with 2 or 3 eps, which is a shame because it's definitely not a show I felt like binging to try and solve that problem.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Generally what I recommend with k-on is a wall of televisions each playing an episode of k-on on perpetual loop.

I'm going to fail my resolution, before I die I'm going to take back the resolution thread from that thief bees

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

littleorv posted:

My new years resolution is going to be cementing my normie status by watching all of the Ghibli movies. I've seen a good chunk already so I just need to watch:

Only Yesterday
Pom Poko
My Neighbors the Yamadas
The Cat Returns
Tales from Earthsea
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
When Marnie was There

Definitely not finishing this poo poo. I got moved to an area for the time being where the internet is incredibly brutal and I'm slowly losing my mind. Of these movies I've seen Only Yesterday and it was okay.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
More importantly are you guys gonna take the ban like a non coward

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Up to 5/7 now.

Finished:

VA-11 Hall-A
A super comfy game with tons of heart and a lot of great characters. Best served with a glass of whiskey.

YU-NO
I want to say this game is good, but I just can't. There's just too many stipulations and asterisks that you'd need to add to call it good.

Heading into the final stretch, started Doki Doki Literature Club and will probably finish with Ace Attorney 4.

Namtab posted:

I'm going to fail my resolution, before I die I'm going to take back the resolution thread from that thief bees

I'm going to enjoy being provably better than namtab, who it took me way too long to realize had the exact same resolution as me.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Watch anime.

Forget to post anything in the new year's resolutions thread.

Done!

I did make some progress on last year's though...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Up to 5/7 now.

Finished:

VA-11 Hall-A
A super comfy game with tons of heart and a lot of great characters. Best served with a glass of whiskey.

YU-NO
I want to say this game is good, but I just can't. There's just too many stipulations and asterisks that you'd need to add to call it good.

Heading into the final stretch, started Doki Doki Literature Club and will probably finish with Ace Attorney 4.

I'm going to enjoy being provably better than namtab, who it took me way too long to realize had the exact same resolution as me.
I made the mistake of picking super long visual novels, and then realising that I basically don't have the attention span for super long visual novels.

Strange Quark posted:

More importantly are you guys gonna take the ban like a non coward

I gave the mod permission to decide my fate.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Might as well be a tad bold:

In 2018 I want to finish:
Chihayafuru
March Comes In Like A Lion
Shirobako
Sabagebu
Diebuster
Yuruyuri

And Kyousougiga.

I also want to finish at least 2 shows from each season .

I did watch Shirobako and Diebuster! They were both very good! I've also been watching a bunch of seasonal shows. However I doubt I'm gonna get to the rest of this list since I'm trying to cram in as many seasonal shows this year as I can before the end for aoty rankings and such. Good thing I didn't toxx :sweatdrop:

Though hopefully I can round off the year trying to catch up on March cones in like a lion, since there's a good chance it belongs on the list like it did last year.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not gonna take the ban because I"m gonna finish my toxx :smug:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

there's no way I don't get loving banned unless I get really really bored this holiday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If people ask, I'm the villain here. :twisted: