Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm just going to stick with my usual personal goal of 52 books for the year, of which at least 24 must be by women and 12 must be non-fiction (non-fiction books by women count for both).

I've started reading The Best Australian Science Writing 2012 edited by Elizabeth Finkel, which I was given for Christmas by my brother-in-law and will be my first book for 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Looks like I'm probably not going to make my goal this year since I've had much less time for reading than expected, but here's what I've read so far:

1. The Best Australian Science Writing 2012 by Elizabeth Finkel
  2. Castle Death (Lone Wolf, #7) by Joe Dever
  3. Pain by The Authors of Pain: The debut poetry collection from WWE tag team and literary powerhouse The Authors of Pain
  4. The Jungle of Horrors (Lone Wolf, #8) by Joe Dever
  5. The Cauldron of Fear (Lone Wolf, #9) by Joe Dever
  6. The Dungeons of Torgar (Lone Wolf, #10) by Joe Dever
  7. The Prisoners of Time (Lone Wolf, #11) by Joe Dever
  8. Time Travel Short Stories edited by Laura Bulbeck
  9. The Masters of Darkness (Lone Wolf, #12) by Joe Dever
  10. The Plague Lords of Ruel (Lone Wolf, #13) by Joe Dever
  11. Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins
  12. The Birthday Problem by Caren Gussoff

Reviews on Goodreads.

MockingQuantum posted:

Can I request a new wildcard?
If you're up for something bleak, I recently read and would recommend Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

2018 Reading Challenge Theme Week #8 - Challenge no. 4: Read a book by an LGBT author

In honor of Pride month, this week's challenge is to read a book by an LGBT author.

I admit I am not super well versed in this area outside of googling stuff, so any recommendations would be great.
The current StoryBundle is LGBT sci-fi. I haven't read any of them and these bundles tend to be pretty hit and miss, so this isn't so much a recommendation as just some information.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

1. The Best Australian Science Writing 2012 by Elizabeth Finkel
  2. Castle Death (Lone Wolf, #7) by Joe Dever
  3. Pain by The Authors of Pain: The debut poetry collection from WWE tag team and literary powerhouse The Authors of Pain
  4. The Jungle of Horrors (Lone Wolf, #8) by Joe Dever
  5. The Cauldron of Fear (Lone Wolf, #9) by Joe Dever
  6. The Dungeons of Torgar (Lone Wolf, #10) by Joe Dever
  7. The Prisoners of Time (Lone Wolf, #11) by Joe Dever
  8. Time Travel Short Stories edited by Laura Bulbeck
  9. The Masters of Darkness (Lone Wolf, #12) by Joe Dever
  10. The Plague Lords of Ruel (Lone Wolf, #13) by Joe Dever
  11. Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins
  12. The Birthday Problem by Caren Gussoff
I last posted back in May and since then I've read twelve more Lone Wolf books and also a few things that weren't Lone Wolf books. I only managed 34 out of my goal of 52 though, and only 10-13 by women (depending on how you count the ones edited by a woman but written by multiple authors) and only four non-fiction books. Proportionally, based on my original goal, I should have read 16 books by women and eight non-fiction, so I was not only not reading enough but I wasn't even reading the right things. Anyway, here are the non-Lone Wolf books I read:

• Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall #1) by Tara Moss
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall #2) by Tara Moss
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
  • Change Detectives (PrimaryConnections, #28) by Suzanne Cory
  • Boys Will Be Boys: An exploration of power, patriarchy and the toxic bonds of mateship by Clementine Ford
  • The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
  • My Diarrhe by Miranda Sings
  • Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling
  • Crows, Papua New Guinea, and Boats: A new collection of irreverence by David Thorne

I saw Fetish and Split together in an op shop and, having read and enjoyed The Fictional Woman, I wanted to give her a fiction a go. It's bad. I read the second one only because I already had it, and in the hope that she might have actually improved as a writer between the first and second books. She hadn't. The second one's actually worse. The first one is bland, forgettable, but ultimately not bad enough to be offensive. The second just doubles down on all the worst things about the first one while bringing absolutely nothing new to the table.

I'd previously read Emma and enjoyed it so I was expecting to like Pride and Prejudice as well, but mostly I was just left wondering why this is the popular one. Emma was so much better. This one is just obnoxious people being mostly unlikable. And there are several characters that just don't seem to have any purpose in the story - like Kitty. Did Austen just think Elizabeth needed one more sister for some reason? Then I read Death Comes to Pemberley, which is just bad fanfiction. Not so bad it's funny, just so bad it's bad. The characters don't even read as the same people and the story has nothing to do with Pride and Prejudice - except for the occasional bits where James provides additional backstory and explanations for things in the original book that were perfectly fine as they were and didn't need any elaboration.

I read Change Detectives for school and hated it. If you want to know how to put a lot of effort into lessons that kids aren't going to give two shits about, read this book. It just reminded me exactly why I always hated science classes in school. It's also very annoying to read because it's written more like a reference for people who already know what they're doing than as a set of instructions, so you have to flip forward and back to figure out what it's talking about. It reminded me of reading the instructions for one of those board games where the first paragraph tells you that you can spend Blah Tokens on Whatsit Cards but doesn't tell you how to earn Blah Tokens until paragraph five or what Whatsit Cards are until right near the end.

If you know Clementine Ford's writing then you know what to expect of Boys Will Be Boys, but if you know Clementine Ford's writing then you're probably not going to find anything much new in this book.

The Princess Diarist was pretty bland and forgettable. I'm not a particular fan of Carrie Fisher (although I've nothing against her either) so obviously I'm no the target audience, and I only read it because it was at my parents' house when I was looking for something to read there, but it was basically fine.

My Diarrhe was exactly what I expected, which is basically the same as Miranda's YouTube videos but in book form. Pretty funny, but not a lot to it.

I'd had Happy Snak sitting on my to-read list for a long time but kept avoiding it. I can't even really say why, it's just that the name is very unappealing to me for reasons I can't explain. I'd just look at it and go "... nah." But it turns out it's actually pretty good. Good characters, decent story, very pleasant read. The ending is maybe a little too convenient, but it's fine. I still hate the name though.

Crows, Papua New Guinea, and Boats is not Thorne's best, and if you follow him online the you'll already have read some of it, but it's still pretty good. The funny bits are as funny as ever and he tells a good story even if he is obviously lying about a lot of it.

I also finished The Magicians by Lev Grossman yesterday, which I'll have to include on next year's list, but which I wanted to mention as it was very good. One of those books that made me enjoy reading in the way I used to as a teenager; staying awake far too late because I don't want to stop and immediately wanting to start on the sequel as soon as I finished it.

Reviews on Goodreads.