Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I'm joining in with this. I am always looking to broaden my reading horizons, so I'm setting the following challenge:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 4 books with 1 reread)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6)
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author.
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it.
11. Read something political.
— bonus: Read something political from/about a country you aren't from and don't currently live in
15. Read something involving history.
— bonus: Read something about a war that didn't involve the U.S.
18. Read something from a non-traditional perspective.
— bonus: Read something narrated in the 2nd person
20. Read something about music.
22. Read something about the future.
— bonus: Read something about a future that takes place before the current year

For me, the challenges are really what I'm interested in, and where the bonus is listed, that is the aim. Somebody issue me a wildcard!

Completed Books:
1. The Damned United by David Peace (reread)
2. Player One by Douglas Coupland
3. The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
4. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

In Progress:
5. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

Coming Soon:
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
When The Shooting Stops by Ralph Rosenblum and Robert Karen
Side Jobs by Jim Butcher
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
January Update!

Milt Thompson posted:

I'm joining in with this. I am always looking to broaden my reading horizons, so I'm setting the following challenge:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 5 books with 1 reread)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 1)
— bonus: Read something political from/about a country you aren't from and don't currently live in

For me, the challenges are really what I'm interested in, and where the bonus is listed, that is the aim. Somebody issue me a wildcard!

Completed Books:

In Progress:
6. Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Coming Soon:
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
When The Shooting Stops by Ralph Rosenblum and Robert Karen
Side Jobs by Jim Butcher

I know I joined late, but here are some thoughts so far:

The Damned United is a great little book, a fictionalised history of part of the life and career of football manager Brian Clough. Clough was always a controversial figure and Peace gives us a glimpse into an arrogant and hubristic version of the man. The film is good too.

Player One was enjoyable, dealing with crises in the lives of four people set against the backdrop of a world gone mad. Coupland depicts his characters with great humanity, and although the story gets dark in places, the prose is written with a pleasingly light touch and humour.

The Undoing Project is, in my opinion, not one of Lewis' best books. It deals with the lives and partnership of psychologists Amos Tversky and Daniel Kahneman and while the descriptions of their work and its applications in the real world are fascinating, the more biographical portions were quite slow. Still good overall, though.

The Sirens of Titan was excellent. There is something about Vonnegut's writing that elevates it into a different class. I found it accessible, funny and moving.

The Underground Railroad left me feeling quite angry at the world. The novel itself is excellent. Yet it's clear that Whitehead isn't just writing about the injustices faced by African-American slaves - the humiliations inflicted on them seem to have never ended. If Whitehead's point is that despite emancipation, African-Americans are still not considered entirely human by both covert and overt detractors, or indeed entirely free - then I find myself agreeing with him.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think this got lost in the shuffle so: read White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi

It's been added to my shopping list. Thanks!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
February

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 7 books with 1 reread)

Booklord's Challenge

3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 1)

Completed Books:
7. Side Jobs by Jim Butcher

In Progress:
8. When The Shooting Stops by Ralph Rosenblum and Robert Karen

Coming Soon:
On Beauty by Zadie Smith

It was hard to find time to read much this month, but I did finish Thinking Fast and Slow. It's an interesting read, but very information dense, at times dauntingly slow. If you are curious about the fact that your mind can be said to operate at two different speeds with dramatically different results - a fast, instinctive aspect and a slow, introspective one - then it's worth picking up or borrowing from the library.

Side Jobs is a collection of short stories from The Dresden Files universe. I enjoyed it on the whole, but especially the stories where Dresden himself is not the narrator. One for fans of the series.

I'm adding the following books to the Coming Soon list:

The Line Of Beauty by Alan Hollingsworth
White Is For Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell
Tales From Development Hell by David Hughes

I'll be attempting On Beauty during the theme week. The last time I picked it up, I couldn't get into it, but I'm willing to give it a few more chapters.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 7 books with 1 reread)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 1 - On Beauty)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 2 - The Underground Railroad, On Beauty)

Completed Books:
9. On Beauty by Zadie Smith
10. Tales From Development Hell by David Hughes

In Progress:
11. The Line Of Beauty by Alan Hollingsworth

Coming Soon:
12. White is For Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
13. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell
14. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunders

Only three books but I'm happy with the progress and choices made.

When The Shooting Stops is a book I'm very glad I picked up. Ralph Rosenblum was a well-respected movie editor in the sixties and seventies - collaborating with directors such as Sidney Lumet and Woody Allen - and this book is partly a memoir of his life and entry into the editing profession, partly a history of editing and its importance, but most revealingly it is an account of how much editing can change a film. Rosenblum and Karen take us through the exhausting process of editing on a number of films - The Pawnbroker, A Thousand Clowns, The Night They Raided Minsky's - before finishing with an astonishing inside view of how Rosenblum and Allen turned Annie Hall from a screwball comedy into the film released. Fascinating stuff.

On Beauty is a book marked by Smith's keen eye for character and the tribulations of family life, but I felt it could have been so much more. I enjoyed it as Smith's prose is often beautiful, but the story drifted almost aimlessly for me and I would have been very interested to see more conflict between the patriarchs of the two families. Nonetheless, it made for an interesting exploration of aspects of black identity and academic life.

Tales From Development Hell was a quick and enjoyable read, looking into the factors behind the often agonizing process of writing, rewriting, politicking and assorted nonsense that goes into the production of modern blockbusters, for example the Tim Burton Planet Of The Apes, and Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider movies. Throughout the book, I was struck with a sense of incredulity at the decisions made by producers, writers and directors which led their films into creative cul-de-sacs and production cancellations. The author finishes with an account of his own ongoing failures as a screenwriter, which was refreshing and illuminating.

Progress on the non-white and female author challenges should pick up soon, as my research has led me to some hopefully good books such as Human Acts by Han Kang, Stiff by Mary Roach, An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon, An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine, and some others. I'm still searching for a work on a war not involving the US, but I'd like to find something on the Iran-Iraq war. I'm also not sure where to turn for a book about music.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 12 books with 1 reread)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 1 - On Beauty)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 2 - The Underground Railroad, On Beauty)
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author (COMPLETED - The Line Of Beauty).
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it (IN PROGRESS - White Is For Witching).

Completed Books:
12. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell

In Progress:
13. White is For Witching by Helen Oyeyemi

Coming Soon:
14. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunders

Sadly only finished the two last month, but I've nearly finished White Is For Witching.

The Line Of Beauty was excellent. If you were interested in the life of the British elites in the early 1980s, and in the first days of AIDS crisis in Britain, this would definitely be for you. It follows self-confessed aesthete Nick Guest as he makes his way through post-university life. I appreciated the window it gave me into the gay scene in 1980s London, and the parts which referred to the politics of 80s Britain had the ring of authenticity. I'm going to compare it to On Beauty, which I felt was beautifully written, if a little hollow. The Line Of Beauty is beautifully written too, but I enjoyed it a lot more, as I felt it had real substance to it. On Beauty sometimes seemed to hold its own characters in disdain, but The Line Of Beauty did not. Even when the characters were flawed - which was often - they still felt fully rounded and not caricatured. Suffice to say I'll be reading more by Hollingshurst later this year.

The Disaster Artist is something I'd recommend to anyone interested in film-making and especially The Room. Although it makes clear how insane the production of The Room was, it goes to great lengths to humanise Tommy Wiseau, which it was under no pressure to do.

Things will speed up soon. Once it gets into June, my workload as am ESL teacher changes considerably and I'll have much more time to read in the summer. I'm planning to pick up a biography, too, probably that of legendary football manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

MockingQuantum posted:

Can I request a new wildcard?

If you'd like a wildcard from a very recently dead white guy, you could try The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. Alternatively, tomorrow will be the 38th anniversary of the Gwangju Uprising, which can be read about in the incredibly good yet horrifying Human Acts by Han Kang

Franchescanado posted:

Wildcard!

How about The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot? A combination of biography and biology on how one woman's cells helped transform medicine.

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 18, 2018

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 16 books with 1 reread)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 4 - On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, Stiff)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 5 - The Underground Railroad, On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, An Unnecessary Woman)
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it (COMPLETED - White Is For Witching).
22. Read something about the future .
— bonus: Read something about a future that takes place before the current year (IN PROGRESS - Stand On Zanzibar)

Completed Books:
14. Human Acts by Han Kang
15. Stiff by Mary Roach
16. An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alahmeddine

In Progress:
17. Stand On Zanzibar by John Brunner

Coming Soon:
18. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunders

May was a good month for reading. I enjoyed all four of the books I finished.

White Is For Witching was enjoyable. Oyeyemi is a very capable writer, although I felt that the spooky aspects of this novel added very little to the story. What I appreciated was the more biographical aspects of it - like her characters, Oyeyemi attended Cambridge university and this experience gave her work authenticity. In fact, one of the characters felt entirely like a self-insert. I didn't find this a problem. As an exploration of life as an outsider at Cambridge university, and of the challenges associated with mental illness, I found this book to be at its most compelling. The other major part of the story - the house as an active participant in the events of the story - I was less impressed with. Nonetheless, a good read.

Human Acts might just be the best and hardest book I'll read this year. It's a fictional account of the Gwangju Uprising, in which the South Korean Army brutally put down pro-democracy protests in May 1980. Kang (and her translator) do an incredible job of bringing the horrific events of the Uprising to life, moving from the viewpoints of students taking care of the dead, to how surviviors battle the psychological trauma they suffered in the years afterward. It's a hard book to read due to the content, which depicts acts of almost unbelievable immorality carried out by a government against its own people. Highly recommended.

So as a palate cleanser, I chose Stiff, which is about as far removed in tone from Human Acts as possible. What happens to the human body after we die? Roach goes to great lengths to investigate, looking at the fate of bodies donated as research. Although you might consider it a morbid book, nothing could be further from the truth. Roach is very careful to report respectfully what she learns, and balances her skilful reportage with a keen sense of humour. The target of her humour is almost exclusively herself and her own attitudes. I really enjoyed it, and I'll be looking forward to reading more of her work later this year.

I came across An Unnecessary Woman by chance, when looking for works by a gay author. I thought it sounded like an interesting novel, and happily I was proven right. It's a novel about a great many things: the life of Aaliyah, an old woman in Beirut and how she finds solace in literature. It's about the challenges of translating literature. It's about the difficulties of leading a solitary, lonely life and of being under pressure from your own family. It's about Beirut itself, and about the roles women play in life and the relationships between them. Alahmeddine does a great job in making this novel approachable and readable, and in keeping Aaliyah sympathetic.

I'm currently working on Stand On Zanzibar and it's hard-going because it's written in a frankly bizarre style and is 500 pages long. It is seen as something of a classic, though I'm not feeling that just yet. It's not exactly bad, but the structure is annoying as the narrative viewpoint changes dramatically every chapter.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 19 books with 2 rereads)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 5 - On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, Stiff, Station Eleven)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 5 - The Underground Railroad, On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, An Unnecessary Woman)
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it (COMPLETED - White Is For Witching).
— bonus: Read something about a future that takes place before the current year (COMPLETED - Stand On Zanzibar)

Completed Books:
15. Stiff by Mary Roach
18. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunder
19. Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel

In Progress: The Mixer by Michael Cox

Coming Soon: This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin

A late report because, again, I've been a little too busy to read much. But three books is three books.

Stand On Zanzibar was a slow starter for me. From the New Wave of sci-fi, first published in 1968, it won a Hugo award. I can see why: stylistically, it's pretty challenging as the story is told in an odd, fragmented manner, through four strands. The main storyline takes place in chapters named Continuity with chapters related to that by characters or events in sections called Tracking With Close-Ups. Broader world-building happens in chapters entitled The Happening World, which read like you were flicking through TV channels. Finally, sections named Context give the reader an insight into the culture of Brunner's alternate future by quoting from its books. Early on, this structure made the book challenging to read, because it's like being dropped half-awake into the actual world of the story. Yet in the end, this became a great strength of the book, because there is a much greater sense of a world having been built.

The actual story itself is a good read. Brunner's vision of 2010 is at the same time quite prescient but, as it turns out, surprisingly wide of the mark (some details can be found here. The story's main theme concerns population control and eugenics, looking at two unrelated situations linked by protagonists who start the story as housemates. Brunner writes well even within the framework he sets himself, but I hesitate to recommend it due to these stylistic choices.

Lincoln In The Bardo deserves all the praise it gets in my opinion. I wasn't expecting the story I got. I won't say anymore as I think it's best approached blind.

Station Eleven I chose to reread as it was very cheap on Amazon but also a book I enjoyed the first time around. Set in an unspecified future, it's a post-apocalyptic novel about a travelling theatre and orchestra who go from settlement to settlement following a global pandemic. Mandel wrote it beautifully - it's the kind of book The Postman could have been if David Brin had been more concerned with who the characters were in the world rather than what they did. It's this quality - how the characters feel and respond to the world around them - that elevates Station Eleven from ordinary post-apocalyptic sci-fi to something more heartfelt and intelligent. It's good.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
July and August Update

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 23 books with 2 rereads)

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 6- On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, Stiff, Station Eleven, Slouching Towards Babylon)
20. Read something about music. (COMPLETED - This Is Your Brain On Music)
— bonus: Read something about a future that takes place before the current year (COMPLETED - Stand On Zanzibar)

Completed Books:
15. Stiff by Mary Roach
18. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunder
19. Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel (reread)
20. The Mixer by Michael Cox
21. The Trees by Ali Shaw
22. This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin
23. Slouching Towards Babylon by Joan Didion

In Progress: My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

July is always very busy for me - EFL summer school - so I wasn't able to read much. August was better.

The Mixer isn't a book I'd recommend unless you are a fan of England's Premier League. It is a tactical history of the Premier League, starting with how goalkeepers reacted to a change in the back-pass law, and goes on from there to look at how tactis evolved over the last twenty or so years in response to rule changes, labour law changes and the influence of foreign managers on football in England. If you're a football fan, I'd rank it just below the essential Inverting the Pyramid in terms of quality and readability.

The Trees was simultaneously an annoying and enjoyable read. Although it is presented as a British ecological answer to The Road, it is more properly a kind of fantasy novel, featuring strong magical elements. What made it enjoyable was partly its premise - society is destroyed by a global eruption of mature trees, wrecking cities and obsoleting technology - combined with a protagonist who is one of the weakest to head a story that I've read. What made it annoying was the author's ham-fisted dialogue and tendency to overwrite descriptions. Shaw also saw fit to include a major character who is (somehow simultaneously) a teenage Japanese girl, raised by a Californian survivalist, who just happened to be in Britain during the tree apocalypse. Her appearance in the novel was quite jarring and weakened every part of the story she featured in.

I wish I had chosen a different book for the music challenge. This Is Your Brain On Music is much less about music and much more about cognitive psychology, which is fair enough, but I was looking for something which combined more music theory alongside the science. Often I felt that Levitin went too in depth into the minutiae of cognitive psychology and not enough into keeping the strands between science and music connected, making the book a battle to get through. Nonetheless, there were many interesting revelations, but I'd hesitate to recommend it.

Slouching Towards Babylon, on the other hand, I devoured over the space of three or four days. It's a collection of Didion's essays from the mid 1960s, looking at the counter-culture movement, along with reflections from Didion's own life. It's at its best when Didion isn't writing about herself, as she wears her neuroses very openly. For example, there is a real sense that she never felt like she fitted in anywhere, and this feeling of isolation is pervasive. But overall, the quality in her writing shines through.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
September

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 28 books with 2 rereads) COMPLETED

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 7- On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, Stiff, Station Eleven, Slouching Towards Babylon, My Brilliant Friend)

Completed Books:
1. The Damned United by David Peace (reread) 2. Player One by Douglas Coupland 3. The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
4. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut 5. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead 6. Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
7. Side Jobs by Jim Butcher 8. When The Shooting Stops by Ralph Rosenblum and Robert Karen 9. On Beauty by Zadie Smith
10. Tales From Development Hell by David Hughes 11. The Line Of Beauty by Alan Hollingsworth 12. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell
13. White is For Witching by Helen Oyeyemi 14. Human Acts by Han Kang 15. Stiff by Mary Roach
16. An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alahmeddine 17. Stand On Zanzibar by John Brunner 18. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunder
19. Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel (reread) 20. The Mixer by Michael Cox 21. The Trees by Ali Shaw
22. This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin 23. Slouching Towards Babylon by Joan Didion

24. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
25. Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines
26. Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines
27. Nudge by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein
28. No Hunger In Paradise by Michael Calvin

In progress: Pachinko by Min-Jin Lee

A good month.

My Brilliant Friend was definitely worth reading. I had heard that Elena Ferrante had become a literary phenomenon a few years back while I was living in Italy. This is the first of her Neapolitan Novels, a Bildungsroman about a young girl from Naples. It covers her emotional, physical and political coming-of-age in detail, and in a very engaging manner. The quality of the translation appears to be extremely high and I enjoyed it greatly.

Peter Clines' Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots are a pair of very silly but rather fun novels about a world in which not only are there super-heroes, but also a global zombie crisis. These are not novels of any depth at all, with barely a nod to character development, but the world of the story is fun and Clines writes well enough to keep me engaged for at least these two novels. Pulpy, but nowhere near the quality of Soon I Will Be Invincible.

Nudge concludes my lay study of behavioural economics for the time being. Where The Undoing Project looked at how this field of science got its start, and Thinking Fast And Slow presents many of its key concepts, Nudge looks at how to apply some of the theories of behavioural economics, through a series of case studies. Not as interesting as I hoped it would be, but never mind.

No Hunger In Paradise examines the murky world of youth recruitment in professional soccer in Britain. Calvin is one of the leading writers about soccer, and this was an excellent and thorough investigation of the subject matter. There is a balanced mix of positive and negative stories, of young men who got swept away by the hype and of those who have kept their heads. Of particular interest to fans of English football is a long section devoted to the current England manager and his team of assistants.

Most of my self-chosen challenges are complete. I just need to fill in the gaps around the edges, and so I hope to read the following books by the end of the year:

The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis - to satisfy the politics challenge
If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino - non-traditional perspective
Civil War: The History of England Vol. 3 by Peter Ackroyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
October and November

Milt Thompson posted:

26 Books as a minimum, under 20% rereads (currently 32 books with 2 rereads) COMPLETED

Booklord's Challenge

2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. (minimum 6, currently 8- On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, Stiff, Station Eleven, Slouching Towards Babylon, My Brilliant Friend, Pachinko)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. (minimum 6, currently 6 - The Underground Railroad, On Beauty, White Is For Witching, Human Acts, An Unnecessary Woman, Pachinko)
— bonus: Read something political from/about a country you aren't from and don't currently live in (COMPLETED: The Fifth Risk)
— bonus: Read something narrated in the 2nd person (COMPLETED: If On A Winter's Night A Traveler)

Completed Books:
1. The Damned United by David Peace (reread) 2. Player One by Douglas Coupland 3. The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
4. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut 5. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead 6. Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
7. Side Jobs by Jim Butcher 8. When The Shooting Stops by Ralph Rosenblum and Robert Karen 9. On Beauty by Zadie Smith
10. Tales From Development Hell by David Hughes 11. The Line Of Beauty by Alan Hollingsworth 12. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell
13. White is For Witching by Helen Oyeyemi 14. Human Acts by Han Kang 15. Stiff by Mary Roach
16. An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alahmeddine 17. Stand On Zanzibar by John Brunner 18. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunder
19. Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel (reread) 20. The Mixer by Michael Cox 21. The Trees by Ali Shaw
22. This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin 23. Slouching Towards Babylon by Joan Didion 24. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
25. Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines 26. Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines 27. Nudge by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein
28. No Hunger In Paradise by Michael Calvin

29. Pachinko by Min-Jin Lee
30. War Games: The Psychology of Combat by Leo Murray
31. If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino
32. The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis

Pachinko is another book I enjoyed, despite its often unrelenting bleakness. Detailing the lives of Koreans in 20th Century Japan, its principal theme was of shame and of how people cope with it, or fail to. Very good indeed.

War Games was a book I only bought because it was incredibly cheap with an interesting concept. Why do soldiers fight? Or perhaps more accurately, how can armies persuade their enemies to stop fighting and surrender or run away? The answer is multi-faceted and I found it surprisingly engaging. Murray divides his book into chapters, each of which examines one of the factors which explains how ordinary men can either be compelled to fight or flee, and most assuredly not war porn. Worth a read if psychology interests you.

If On A winter's Night... is not necessarily a book I'd recommend. The core concept is interesting - split between a meta-narrative of the experience of being a reader, told in second-person, and a series of the first chapters of novels in different genres - and Calvino is clearly having fun toying with his readers. Yet I found it quite tiresome to read at times, as some of those 'first chapters' were not engaging. Its reputation as a challenging book is well-earned.

The Fifth Risk was, I suspect, rushed out of the publishers a little early and a few chapters short, in order to cash in on interest in the failures of the Trump administration. And while it is indeed about the administration and some of the bizarre decisions being made by people within it, it is far more about how we don't really understand exactly what our government departments do. Like most of Lewis' work, it is about people and the often remarkable things that they do, and about how the Trump administration threatens the safety of ordinary people in the US. I enjoyed it!

In Progress: Civil War: A history Of England Volume III by Peter Ackroyd - it's fascinating, but I don't think there'll be another one this month, as its incredibly long.