Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I'm in for 40 and attempting the booklord challenge. I petered out of the challenge last year and only made 37 books but writing a thesis got in the way - hoping now that's nearly over I can get back to guilt free reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

January update

1. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman - Great read for mythology fans - I'm not sure it provides anything new if you are already super familiar with the stories but I found them entertaining.
2. Blindness by Jose Saramago - This took me ages to read. I can't say I liked the writing style and the first half (at least) is full of horrors, but there was something about it that just drew me in.
3. Last to Die by Tess Gerritson - I have a weakness for female led crime writing/thrillers, this hit the spot.
4. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up by Marie Kondo - so this woman is clearly insane, but I was looking for some inspiration to declutter and this does have some helpful tips and advice if you ignore the weird bits.
5. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto - very short, sweet read but I think the translation leaves something to be desired, some of the language felt quite clunky and off.

Booklord challenges completed:

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 5/40
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women: 3/5 (60%)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 3/5 (60%)
10. Read something translated from another language: Kitchen & Blindness
13. Read a collection of short stories: Norse Mythology

Currently reading:
- The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
- It by Stephen King

I'm seriously hoping I finish both of these in February but gently caress me they are long books.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Previous books

1. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
2. Blindness by Jose Saramago
3. Last to Die by Tess Gerritson
4. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up by Marie Kondo
5. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

February update
6. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - The first couple of chapters I thought this was going to be a bog standard, not very good chick lit but it was actually a lot more than that.
7 & 8. Ice Cold and The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritson - Not much to say about these, crime thrillers led by women are my go to quick fiction reads. These are pretty good.
9. Eat Up by Ruby Tandoh - A combination of memoir, recipe book and examination of what food and eating means. Probably quite helpful for those with/recovering from eating disorders, for me it wasn't exactly life changing but an interesting read all the same.
10. The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann - this took me more than two months to read and I'm not sure I've sorted my thoughts about it out. I enjoyed reading it and hated it at the same time. I did like the super descriptive writing style and it was often humorous and interesting, but I found my eyes glazing over the long winded philosophical 'essays' and yet more characters being introduced for no reason at all. Definitely not up for the recommended second reading right now...

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 10/40
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women: 7/10 (70%)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 3/10 (30%)
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author: Eat Up
8. Read something written before you were born: The Magic Mountain
9. Read a book published in 2018: Eat Up

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I missed the March play challenge but it inspired me to check my kindle and I apparently already have these Shakespeare plays:

- The Tragedy of Titus Andronicus
- As You Like It
- Twelfth Night
- Othello
- A Midsummer Night's Dream

I studied A Midsummer Night's Dream in school and am familiar with it but not sure I've ever read or seen the others - any recommendations?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Sorry bit late with this one! March wasn't a great reading month for me as I was focusing on finishing It.

Previous books

1. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
2. Blindness by Jose Saramago
3. Last to Die by Tess Gerritson
4. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up by Marie Kondo
5. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
6. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
7 & 8. Ice Cold and The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritson
9. Eat Up by Ruby Tandoh
10. The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

March update
11. It by Steven King - A classic horror but one I haven't read since I was a teenager. Still genuinely creepy in parts although the racism, violence against women and random shoehorned in kids having sex has aged badly. I always find the endings of Stephen King books a bit disappointing and this wasn't an exception.
12. The Birdwoman's Palate by Laksmi Pumantjak - Beautifully descriptive book merging a slightly random storyline about Asian bird flu with an obsession with food. The two things didn't really work very well together.
13. Women and Power by Mary Beard - very short as it's really just two speeches/lectures by Mary Beard. It would have been nice for some of the themes to be investigated and explored in more detail but I guess that wasn't what this book was for. In any case, highly interesting and illuminating.

I've already read some short stories but Revenge by Yoko Ogawa looks right up my horror loving alley.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 13/40
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women: 9/13 (70%)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 4/13 (31%)
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author: Eat Up
8. Read something written before you were born: The Magic Mountain
9. Read a book published in 2018: Eat Up