Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Going for 40 as well and the booklord challenge. This should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Enjoy My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl! It's short and funny.

I could also use a wildcard, please. Please nothing long (500+ pages).

Under the North Star by Väinö Linna in honour of the 100th anniversary of the Finnish Civil War.

It is a trilogy, but the each part is around 300 pages and this wildcard only applies to the first one.

In case the translation is impossible to find, feel free to discard the wildcard.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
My january readings:

1. Carol Anshaw : Carry the One - First book I've read from Anshaw. Went in completely blind and was surprised to find an actually good novel with lesbian characters in it. Gay and lesbian movies tend to be horrible crap, so it is always enjoyable to find good lesbian fiction. It also holds up on the non-lesbian parts.

2. Joyce Carol Oates : Gravedigger's Daughter - This was the third book from Oates in few months I finished. I really enjoy her writing. She has brutal scenes in her books, which tend to stick to my mind for a long time. It never feels exploitative though. I think the sort of honesty she has in describing the violent events makes an impact on me. Gravedigger's Daughter is a story about violent parents, violent husbands, fear and the cost of surviving these events.

3. Edward Hallowell: Driven to distraction - I apparently have ADD, which is huge relief to find out at the age of 34. The books by Hallowell are classics on coping with ADD. Nothing special to say about them otherwise. I never had huge problems with reading, because it is important to me so I am able to focus to it.

4. Edward Hallowell: Delivered from distraction

Currently reading:

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - This was recently translated to finnish and after Joyce Carol Oates and a hectic month I felt that a lighter book would be good. No, it is not good. I used to read a lot of genre fiction during university, because I rarely had energy to read anything proper. I think the combination of not reading any genre fiction in years and reading it in my primary language highlights the faults for me. Literature is meant to give new experiences and Mistborn did actually succeed in it. When I read genre fiction in english it easier to ignore silliness of the titles and magic stuff. But on your primary language it really shows ( Tinasilmä! Velvoittaja!) Now I can relate to how painful the Warhammer naming scheme must feel to native english speakers and I really admire what you have to go through with fantasy books and games. I mean, in all fairness, it is meant to be light entertainment and in that it mostly succeeds. I personally seek something else from books.

The Round House by Louise Erdrich - I've actually read this one before already. I'm currently reading this out loud to my SO. The finnish translation is a sloppy work, but the book in itself is still just fantastic. Coming of age story of a young native american boy whose mother is raped by an unknown assailant. Erdrich manages to combine handling a tragic event with the mindset of 13-year old boy. Her style of writing might not be for everyone, but I enjoy her version of "postmodern" prose.