Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Belated: put me down for 100 books in 2018. If anyone's on Goodreads and wants to be friends, add me here!

My reading this year is taking a different tack. At the end of 2017, I compiled a list of ~80 books I really wanted to read in 2018, and have been somewhat successful so far: about 50% of my reading in January/February is from the 'planned' list.

January:
Lucifer's Hammer - L Niven
Homesick for Another World - O Moshfegh
Saga, vol 6
Saga, vol 7
Saga, vol 8
Fire and Fury - M Wolff
LSD: My Problem Child - A Hoffman
The History of Love - N Krauss
The Moth Presents All These Wonders: True Stories about Facing the Unknown - Assort.
In the Distance - H Diaz
Her Body and Other Parties - C Maria Machado
Eileen - O Moshfegh

February:
Rebecca - D de Maurier
Freya - A Quinn
The Ballad of Black Tom - V LaValle
Exit West - M Hamid
Future Home of the Living God - L rdrich
The Power - N Alderman
Hunger - K Hamsun
Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube - B Braverman
300 Arguments - S Manguso
The Plot Against America - P Roth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

2018 Reading Challenge Theme Week #2 - Read something by a woman

So in honor of the first full week of Women's history month, this next theme week is all about reading something written by a woman. As a bonus, this can give challengers ideas for their ongoing challenge number 2.

This week I am reading Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich. I had previously read her book The Round House which was great, this one has started out as more of a pre-apocalypse novel which is pretty intriguing.

I read this and Alderman's "The Power" back-to-back and enjoyed both for different reasons. Ultimately, my criticism of Future Home of the Living God was that - despite so much potential - there just wasn't enough exploration of politics / racism / misogyny / etc. It was gripping and entertaining, but fell short. Please post your impression of it when you're done.