Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I didn’t really start reading again until fall of this year. Found out about the challenge in December so I’m excited to do this for 2018!

Sign me up for 40 books and the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I only read four books for the first month of the year, and one of them I started last year. But at the same time I've been working my way through a really tough non-fiction book, so that is my excuse.

1. Hogwarts: An Incomplete and Unreliable Guide - J.K. Rowling. I've been tutoring a kid who is reading through the Harry Potter books, so I was working through the short stories and other parts of the universe.
2. Cannery Row - John Steinbeck. I have loved everything I've read by Steinbeck, so I figured I should start tackling the books I haven't read.
3. The Complete Calvin and Hobbes - Bill Watterson. I started this last year (hell, maybe in 2016?) and finally finished it. It has been my bedtime reading for quite a while. It's a comic, so I don't know how much it really counts, but I am putting it on here.
4. Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Short and interesting.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 4/40, 10%
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 1/4, 25%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 0/1, 0%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 1/4, 25%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 1/1, 100%
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author. 0
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors 0/4, 0%
5. Participate in the TBB BotM thread at least once in 2018 (thread stickied each month at the top of the forum).
— bonus: Participate in the SHAMEFUL The Greatest Books You've Never Read thread
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it.
— bonus: Similarly, get a wildcard from another thread in this forum
7. Get a recommendation from a friend or loved one.
— bonus: Read literally the first in-person book recommendation you get in 2018 (solicited or not) Beloved - Toni Morrison. My wife told me to read this the other day.
8. Read something written before you were born. Cannery Row
— bonus: Read a book written/published the exact year you were born
9. Read a book published in 2018 (or if you're eager to start early, the latter half of 2017).
— bonus: Read something that wins an award in 2018, but only after it is announced (i.e. don't apply retroactively)
10. Read something translated from another language. Chronicle of a Death Foretold
— bonus: Read something that isn't in your primary language
11. Read something political.
— bonus: Read something political from/about a country you aren't from and don't currently live in
12. Read a poetry collection.
— bonus: Read poems by at least 10 different poets
13. Read a collection of short stories.
— bonus: Read short stories by at least 10 different authors
14. Read a play.
— bonus: Read a play first published in the last 10 years
15. Read something involving history.
— bonus: Read something about a (nonfictional) war that didn't involve the U.S.
16. Read something biographical.
— bonus: Read something biographical about someone you've met/seen in person
17. Read something about religion.
— bonus: Read a major religious text
18. Read something from a non-traditional perspective.
— bonus: Read something narrated in the 2nd person
19. Read something that has been banned, censored, or challenged.
— bonus: Read something currently banned, censored, or challenged in its country of origin
20. Read something about music.
— bonus: Read something about a genre of music you're explicitly not a fan of
21. Read something that involves Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
— bonus: Read something about hunger
22. Read something about the future.
— bonus: Read something about a future that takes place before the current year

So overall I've completed two goals, but have plans for others. I'm reading the political book right now. I could also use a wildcard, if someone wants to give me something!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My wildcard request got lost in my post as well I think. I need one, please!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I finally finished the dense non-fiction book I was reading. I've also started a new job and all the fun that goes with that, so I haven't been reading as much as I would like. I'm on track for the year but still need to do more. Only four books in February.

5. The Sign of the Four - Arthur Conan Doyle. My first Sherlock novel, and boy was it filled with colonial racism and sexism. The book was interesting for a while, but the ending seemed to drag on. In the BotM thread I think I read that the short stories are better, so I may have to find some of those for later.
6. Korea Through Myths and Legends - Robin Rhee. A lot of my reading will likely be Korean or Korea-related this year, as I live here and want to know more about the history and style of the people. I haven't read many Korean authors either, and much Korean literature is unknown in the west. So I guess this is part of my personal challenge to learn more and experience more of the culture I live in. Anyway, this book featured a lot of small little stories about Korean myths and folklore. Some of them were very interesting. Especially the one about the guy stabbing a baby and then marrying her as an adult, and that signifies the happy marriage bond.
7. Asia's Unknown Uprisings Volume 1: South Korean Social Movements in the 20th Century - George Katsiaficas. This book was pretty much a textbook. Tough read, tiny font, the works. But so much information. I learned about how terrible the previous governments of Korea have been, Japanese colonialism, and US meddling. Sad.
8. A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin. An easier read after the harder book. A little disappointing. Too much riding around in a boat.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 8/40, 20%
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 3/8, 37.5%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 2/3, 66%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 1/8, 12.5%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 1/1, 100%
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors 0/8, 0%
5. Participate in the TBB BotM thread at least once in 2018The Sign of the Four
— bonus: Participate in the SHAMEFUL The Greatest Books You've Never Read thread
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it.The Marquise of O- and Other Stories by Heinrich von Kleist
— bonus: Read literally the first in-person book recommendation you get in 2018 (solicited or not) Beloved - Toni Morrison. My wife told me to read this the other day.
9. Read a book published in 2018 (or if you're eager to start early, the latter half of 2017).
— bonus: Read something that wins an award in 2018, but only after it is announced (i.e. don't apply retroactively)
10. Read something translated from another language. Chronicle of a Death Foretold
11. Read something political.Asia's Unknown Uprisings Volume 1: South Korean Social Movements in the 20th Century
— bonus: Read something political from/about a country you aren't from and don't currently live in
14. Read a play.
18. Read something from a non-traditional perspective.
— bonus: Read something currently banned, censored, or challenged in its country of origin

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Only four books this month. I started a new job, and the semester begins in March here in Korea. It was a hell of a month, but I still managed to get through enough. They were short, but all were good.

8. Wonder - R.J. Palacio. A feel good story. I've seen the movie and read the book for some tutoring I've been doing. It was enjoyable.
9. The Man with the Compound Eyes - Wu Ming-Yi. This was given to me by Safety Biscuits as part of the Secret Santa. I really really enjoyed this, having visited Taiwan in the past. It was a good look at how people are messing things up and polluting the nature all around us. It really made me want to visit Taiwan again, especially the Eastern areas that are mentioned in the book.
10. Tree of Codes - Jonathan Safran Foer. Interesting book. I picked this up through my university's ILL system. I'm going to use it to read more of these non-traditional books, as getting print books like this in Korea is expensive.
11. Macbeth - William Shakespeare. The first play I've ever read that I can recall. It was awesome. I tried to listen to the audio production but keeping everything in order in my head was complicated. Reading it was quite fun, and I really enjoyed it. I understand why it is one of the greatest now.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 12/40, 30%
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 4/12, 33%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 3/4, 75%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 3/12, 25%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 3/3, 100%
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors 0/12, 0%
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it.The Marquise of O- and Other Stories by Heinrich von Kleist
11. Read something political.Asia's Unknown Uprisings Volume 1: South Korean Social Movements in the 20th Century
14. Read a play.
18. Read something from a non-traditional perspective. Wonder by R.J. Palacio

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Three books. Not much. Work was hell, then my dad got sick passed away, so I’ve been dealing with that and traveling across the world for the past week. Anyway.

13. Beloved - Toni Morrison. Great book. Brutal.
14. The Twenty Days of Turin - Giorgio De Maria. Second BoTM of the year. Very eerie. Short as well.
15. The White Book - Han Kang. Interesting and pretty, but also sad.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 15/40, 37.5%
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 6/15, 40%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 4/6, 66%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 5/15, 33%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 4/5, 100%
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors 0/15, 0%
— bonus: Read literally the first in-person book recommendation you get in 2018 (solicited or not)
Beloved - Toni Morrison.
14. Read a play.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Been a while since I've updated. I've been trying to get back into reading though. The summer is over and it's back to work for the fall semester, so I will have less time to just be lazy and watch TV. I hope to read more books again instead! I averaged about one book a month since May. Oops.

16. Lincoln in the Bardo - George Saunders
17. A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
18. King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
19. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 19/40, 47.5%
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 6/19, 32%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 4/6, 66%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 5/19, 26%
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 4/5, 100%
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author.The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors 1/19, 5%
— bonus: Read literally the first in-person book recommendation you get in 2018 (solicited or not)
Beloved - Toni Morrison.
11. Read something political. Asia's Unknown Uprisings Volume 1: South Korean Social Movements in the 20th Century
14. Read a play.
15. Read something involving history. King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Haven’t updated in a couple of months. I have still been reading, but have also been quite busy. Not looking like I’m going to hit my number for the year unless I go for a lot of short stories.

24. The Marquise of O and other Stories by Heinrich von Kleist. This was my wildcard. Honestly, not a big fan. The stories themselves were somewhat interesting, but they just ran on and on. For some reason, when a paragraph spans multiple pages, I find it extremely hard for me to read. And most of these stories were like that.
25. Revenge by Yoko Ogawa. Interesting little “horror” book. A group of stories that sort of follow each other. I enjoyed this.
26. Audition by Ryu Murakami. Read this for my local book club. Was hard to determine who the antagonist was honestly. Felt very dated even though the English translation was recent.
27. A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. One of those books I keep thinking about. A LONG book. Took me most of October to get through. However, very good. I found myself speaking Jamaican patois sometimes.
28. Home by Hyun Jin-gun. Short story. Old Korean literature, written during the colonial period.
29. The Overstory by Richard Powers. Another book club book. Really enjoyed this. Every time I see a tree getting cut or wood being used I get sad now.
30. The Accusation by Bandi. Korean literature from the other side of the border. Sad, but good.
31. 고구려 나들이 by Jeon Ho-tae. Korean children’s book read while waiting for a haircut. It counts for the bonus!

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 31/40
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 9/31
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 7/9
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 14/31
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 13/14
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author.The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors 1/31
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it. The Marquise of O- and Other Stories by Heinrich von Kleist
Beloved - Toni Morrison.
9. Read a book published in 2018 (or if you're eager to start early, the latter half of 2017). Frankenstein in Baghdad
— bonus: Read something that isn't in your primary language고구려 나들이
11. Read something political. Asia's Unknown Uprisings Volume 1: South Korean Social Movements in the 20th Century
13. Read a collection of short stories.Revenge
14. Read a play. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
The Accusation
A Brief History of Seven Killings
21. Read something that involves Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Pachinko

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 9, 2018

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I completely stopped reading from May until late July, so I'm not going to hit my target by reading normal books.

I do have a bunch of what are essentially short stories from the Digital Library of Korean Literature. They all have different ISBNs, so they're books, right? They're something like 15-50 pages each, so I could plow through them very quickly. Is this cheating, however, or against the spirit of the challenge?

I guess my real goal at this point is to knock out the challenges I have left, with some bonuses on the way.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Somehow I edited my last post for September instead of making a new post. drat.

Anyway.

Haven’t updated in a couple of months. I have still been reading, but have also been quite busy. Not looking like I’m going to hit my number for the year unless I go for a lot of short stories.

24. The Marquise of O and other Stories by Heinrich von Kleist. This was my wildcard. Honestly, not a big fan. The stories themselves were somewhat interesting, but they just ran on and on. For some reason, when a paragraph spans multiple pages, I find it extremely hard for me to read. And most of these stories were like that.
25. Revenge by Yoko Ogawa. Interesting little “horror” book. A group of stories that sort of follow each other. I enjoyed this.
26. Audition by Ryu Murakami. Read this for my local book club. Was hard to determine who the antagonist was honestly. Felt very dated even though the English translation was recent.
27. A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. One of those books I keep thinking about. A LONG book. Took me most of October to get through. However, very good. I found myself speaking Jamaican patois sometimes.
28. Home by Hyun Jin-gun. Short story. Old Korean literature, written during the colonial period.
29. The Overstory by Richard Powers. Another book club book. Really enjoyed this. Every time I see a tree getting cut or wood being used I get sad now.
30. The Accusation by Bandi. Korean literature from the other side of the border. Sad, but good.
31. 고구려 나들이 by Jeon Ho-tae. Korean children’s book read while waiting for a haircut. It counts for the bonus!

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 31/40
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 9/31
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 7/9
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 14/31
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 13/14
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it. The Marquise of O- and Other Stories by Heinrich von Kleist
Beloved - Toni Morrison.
9. Read a book published in 2018 (or if you're eager to start early, the latter half of 2017). Frankenstein in Baghdad
The Accusation

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Well despite a three month stretch where I didn’t read anything at all, I ended up finishing the challenge! Go me! I may have read a few questionable “books” (short stories) but I’m counting it as a clear.

My December books are below.

32. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. I did this on audiobook. It was basically what I expected. I did learn that sixth grade girls are very catty.
33. There There by Tommy Orange. Book about urban Indians. I grew up next to the Cherokee Indian Reservation in North Carolina so it was interesting to read.
34. The Heat of the Sun by Kim Yu-Jeong. Short story set in Korea’s colonial period.
35. Malleus by Dan Abnett. Second Eisenhorn book. I am not a Warhammer fan but read the first as part of a small book club a couple years ago. I figured I would do the audiobook. I regret it.
36. Broken Strings by Kang Kyeong-ae. Another short story.
37. Lashing: Notes from a Prison Journal by Kim Dong-in. A short story about prison in the colonial period. Rough.
38. Rugged Rhymes by William Sidney Hillyer. Poetry! I am not a fan of poetry I guess. Or this is not good poetry. Likely the latter.
39. Hereticus by Dan Abnett. So much regret.
40. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. I think I would have enjoyed this more had I read it when I was 15.
41. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Really enjoyed this. Sad but hopeful at the same time.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 41/40
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 12/41
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you. 9/12
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 18/41
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you 17/18
Beloved - Toni Morrison.
12. Read a poetry collection.Rugged Rhymes
16. Read something biographical.The Diary of a Young Girl
17. Read something about religion.Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
The Accusation
— bonus: Read something about hungerThe Road
22. Read something about the future.Malleus

So there it is. That’s my Booklord Challenge complete! I hit all the major challenges, and 8 of the bonus challenges. It was a lot of fun! I read some books I would never have read otherwise if I had not done this challenge. Some of them were good, and some of them were bad. The only books I really didn’t like were the Warhammer books. Doing this challenge gave me a greater appreciation for literature, and helped me realize that just reading fantasy books is really not something I should do. There are so many good books out there, and I can’t wait to discover more.

My top books this year were, in no particular order:
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
The Overstory by Richard Powers (read with some friends in a local book club)
The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria (thanks SA BotM)
The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi (thanks Safety Biscuits! Sorry I didn’t do Christmas this year, money was tight.)

Although there’s no Booklord for this year yet, I really hope something happens there soon. This challenge was really fun and helped me discover my love for reading again. Thanks Guy A. Person for setting this up and guiding it this past year, and thank you everyone for participating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Hey everyone! I am your Booklord for 2019!

If everyone would just head over to this thread right here, let's get 2019 started!