Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
when your home router says it can do "300 mbps" they mean it can do 300 mbps with no routing or nat, with 9000 byte packets, on a new moon, on alternate tuesdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also rip the apple airport base station, the only good consumer ap/router

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mine works well op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
itt: yospos discovers the small net builder forums

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when your home router says it can do "300 mbps" they mean it can do 300 mbps with no routing or nat, with 9000 byte packets, on a new moon, on alternate tuesdays

with no other devices within 20 minutes except a single optimized client one foot away

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
shockingly, consumer WiFi gear has terrible thermal management and slowly cooks itself to death

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the real shocker is that while wifi is a day-to-day headache i get low latency, stable, high bandwidth 4g both in town and in the middle of the woods

have to imagine it is an illustration of the merits of management vs. anarchy on a frequency spectrum

got it in one

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TheFluff posted:

if you want working wifi you need to pay like a grand for the base stations and then hope to the heavens you have a slightly-less-than-garbage transceiver in your computer, because literally everything consumer grade I've ever had the misfortune of using is completely broken

I mean, this is not that weird, wifi is a godawful pile of hacks trying to solve the lack of bandwidth, horribly congested frequency spectrum and comically underpowered transmitters by throwing a ton of really complex digital signals processing (like software beam forming and poo poo) at the problem, so of course the underpaid Indian firmware developers never get it quite right. There are just so many weird rear end wifi problems you can and will get.

Really, wifi is a really good microcosmical example of everything that is wrong with the tech industry. We have a perfectly reliable, cheap and technically superior solution to the problem: wires. There are literally wires that are a hundred years old and still work perfectly fine. However, this solution is unacceptable because it requires the worst of all horrible and unsexy things you can spend money on, the dreaded infrastructure. That is simply not acceptable, so instead the tech industry throws billions of dollars at increasingly complex but obviously flawed wifi garbage gadgets and eventually comes up with something that almost works decently if you spend a few grand on decent base stations instead of just spending :10bux: on cat5. But living in the future is totally worth the cost, duuuude!

all this is very well and good but what if you want to have to troubleshoot your living room light's dodgy connection op

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
get ubnt access points. they are worth it. I get 25 MB/s on my phone from Netflix and 40 MB/s on my MacBook.

(That’s 200 mbps and 300 mbps respectively)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

HoboMan posted:

AS AN OCCUPANT OF HIGH DENSITY HOUSING IN A HIP NEIGHBORHOOD I FIND THE WIFI BANDS INCREDIBLY CROWDED

whoops i had caps-lock on, not retyping that

if you fire up kismet you often find they're on whatever the default channel is. I was able to move to a different one opposite on the spectrum and get great speeds in my old apartment.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

if you fire up kismet you often find they're on whatever the default channel is. I was able to move to a different one opposite on the spectrum and get great speeds in my old apartment.

there are multiple fuckers on channels 3 and 9 it's horrible

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
comedy option: see if they have default admin, switch them all to 1 and you to 11 :c00l:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Punkbob posted:

get ubnt access points. they are worth it. I get 25 MB/s on my phone from Netflix and 40 MB/s on my MacBook.

(That’s 200 mbps and 300 mbps respectively)

did this and suddenly stopped having wifi problems

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the solution is to throw out any trash that still uses 2.4 ghz WiFi

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

comedy option: see if they have default admin, switch them all to 1 and you to 11 :c00l:

lol i actually did this

one of my neighbors has a weak wpa2 key and the other has no security enabled and their routers have the default admin passwords, so i rearranged all the channels so that nobody in the immediate vicinity is overlapping

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
ive literally never had issues with wifi maybe you just have a terrible set up op

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

The_Franz posted:

lol i actually did this

one of my neighbors has a weak wpa2 key and the other has no security enabled and their routers have the default admin passwords, so i rearranged all the channels so that nobody in the immediate vicinity is overlapping

reported to fbi. enjoy ur felony

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

the really annoying thing is when the default is auto, so even if you pick a free channel it just ends up congested when everyone else's routers decide to jump to it because it's less congested.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jimmy Carter posted:

the solution is to throw out any trash that still uses 2.4 ghz WiFi

5ghz is really cool in the living room and all, especially since I have it almost to myself here, but when I’m on the toilet my phone tends to lose contact with the access point two rooms away. All wifi is trash. It’s radio for small plastic toys.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TheFluff posted:

5ghz is really cool in the living room and all, especially since I have it almost to myself here, but when I’m on the toilet my phone tends to lose contact with the access point two rooms away. All wifi is trash. It’s radio for small plastic toys.

5 ghz is deliberately sold not to penetrate two rooms away

that's the point of the product: put lots of individual low-powerd radios in enclosed spaces, with wired connections back to a central hub that provides connectivity and management of contention between the individual APs

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
the ubiquiti stuff is good but lol at their dumb management app. luv 2 have a Debian VM just to run their JVM garbage.

also I have it on some weird vlan poo poo configured on it and don’t have an easy way anymore to talk to it on the management one. 2 lazy 2 trunk

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

the ubiquiti stuff is good but lol at their dumb management app. luv 2 have a Debian VM just to run their JVM garbage.

also I have it on some weird vlan poo poo configured on it and don’t have an easy way anymore to talk to it on the management one. 2 lazy 2 trunk

The iOS and android apps technically work...

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Punkbob posted:

The iOS and android apps technically work...

you can also just ssh into them and edit a text file after the initial provisioning

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
oh yes I don’t k ow my ssh password either because I am a fuckin idiot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unifi aps are pretty good but the unifi security gateway is garbo.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i havent had any problems since i switched out my antenna caps to audio-grade gold ones that i molecularly aligned to the power frequency in my shithole apartment

if thats not an option for you i suggest hanging rare earth magnets from your routers pulse points. i did this at my old place where the neighbors messed up the electrical rhythm with their gmo weed smoke and it worked great but i had to completely overhaul my personal chakra geometry to compensate so ymmv

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

this broadcasts the crab

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qiusAbRMQHKS5

hopefully 2018 is a year of good WiFi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stereotype posted:

I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qiusAbRMQHKS5

replace your fire alarms with wifi stations

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-EDU IEEE 802.11ac 1.27 Gbit/s Wireless Access Point https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7MARPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VavsAbM6X5B4X

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

nest/google collab finally paying off

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Stereotype posted:

I have this, its very needs suiting

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
WiFi is terrible because electrical engineers were tasked with developing a networking protocol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that AP looks good. its close to three hundred doolars here in nz. the lite version is a hundy cheaper and 867/300Mbps 1300/450Mbps those are th respecive sepedsd

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

akadajet posted:

I have like 5 fire alarms and only one WiFi router though.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Jimmy Carter posted:

WiFi is terrible because electrical engineers were tasked with developing a networking protocol

or it could be that wireless communication is just inherently unpredictable

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

that AP looks good. its close to three hundred doolars here in nz. the lite version is a hundy cheaper and 867/300Mbps 1300/450Mbps those are th respecive sepedsd

the lite has less antenna gain, so the range is diminished. still a good wap tho

theres also the HD model now too that does mimo, but its so new i dont really know anything about it. though it probably doesnt suck

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the farm is very happy with the pico and nanostations. farm recommends. I am not farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
say no more, farm

• Locked thread